Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I posted about my first-time Stargate watchthrough a couple of times in the Star Trek thread but was invited here for something more in depth. I've got one episode to go in season 1 of SGU.

Before my wife got me started on this, I had seen the original movie, in the theater actually, and enjoyed it, but never started on the show for some reason. I had the impression from the little bits I had seen, that the show was something like Hercules or Xena quality, so I was very pleasantly surprised when it started out strong and only got better. I've enjoyed almost every minute of it.

Too many good things to name them all without being boring, but my favorite part is probably O'Neill's irreverent insouciance whenever confronting a bad guy who's a little too full of himself. The more RDA phones it in, the better O'Neill gets, it's a perfect storm of been there done that unflappability, almost self-aware that he's a lead character in a romp and is completely invincible no matter what happens, and I appreciate that.

SG-1 and Atlantis are definitely cut from the same cloth, I described it elsewhere as the pinnacle of standard '90s scifi (as opposed to brilliant and groundbreaking shows like B5 and Farscape). This is not in any way a backhanded compliment, they did a lot of really good, fun, competent stuff, consistently for many years, and they even surprised me several times, but not too many. Part of the fun of watching it was to catch the telegraphed moments to know exactly where they were going, and they laid those expertly.

SGU is a radical departure from that style as you all know, and despite being aware of the general reaction people have to it, and therefore being prepared, I was still on the fence with it, to a degree even I didn't fully realize, until they found the crashed alien ship and really episode 13, "Faith," where they unexpectedly drop out of FTL at the mystery planet and a group stays there for a month. Please do NOT tell me yet if that mystery is ever explained in season 2, by the way.

Anyway the first half of the season where it's incompetent people sniping at each other and the whole show has to be carried by Robert Carlyle, isn't what I wanted, from Stargate or any other franchise. But after that point they seem to have pulled it together (both as a show in the meta sense, and as the crew of the Destiny inside the show, despite some lingering friction) and I'm really liking it now.

My wife tells me there's a prequel show as well? How is that, and is there any chance of another show with the further adventures of the SGC? If that involves spoilers you might as well wait another week ot two for us to finish SGU at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The last one in any position of power, I think is what they meant.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I kept going with SGU long after I gave up on ST Discovery, I lasted 3 episodes with the latter and haven't even tried Picard yet. I'm not objective enough when it comes to Trek, maybe, to keep giving the new incarnations much of a chance.

I think the difference is the Star Trek franchise already burned me out a long time ago, while Stargate had enough goodwill built up that I was able to make it through the first half season of SGU until it came together.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well we just finished SGU tonight. I'm not as pissed at the cancellation as I was about Farscape, but its still a pretty raw deal.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I just finished SGU and the stargates definitely revolved in that one.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zurui posted:

Honestly, at this point if we're going to get a Stargate series "reboot" I'd rather it go in the direction of The Orville and ditch everything but some of the core ideas. "Aliens built the pyramids as landing pads for their spaceships" and "Egyptian culture actually came from space" are just such yikes concepts in 2020.

Nope, I want to find out the fate of Destiny and crew.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

I mean, if their intention was to impart the message that religion is bad, they don't really do a very good job of it. They sorta just rely on broad stereotypes that don't align with historical fact (IE, the Egyptians may have had slavery, but the pyramids weren't built by slaves, and the medieval church was actually a bastion of academic scholarship), and it'd be a real stretch to interpret much of that as a metaphor for modern religion.

don't bring your facts and nuance into this, how can you score internet atheist points that way??

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zesty posted:

:psyduck:

I'm not an atheist. You don't have to be an atheist to see this theme.

Do you think people need to be Christian to see the biblical themes in Star Wars? Or that they're doing it just for brownie points?

I don't even know why I posted that, looking back it was needlessly hostile, not to mention inaccurate as you say, so I apologize.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

the lizard people in our highest echelons of power are dinosaurs, checks out

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

devmd01 posted:

Just started SG-1 since it’s all on Prime. Ten seasons? Sure why not, but let’s give it a few episodes.

“You can stay at my place, let’s go!” :laffo:

E: my knowledge of the stargate universe extends to a re-watch of the movie a couple of months ago.

This is exactly where I was a year or so ago. Saw the movie in the theater 25 years ago, once or twice since then, never got into the show for some reason. The bits and pieces I saw gave me the impression it was a Hercules/Xena type of show, but it's definitely much better than that and I was pleasantly surprised.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

happyhippy posted:

It's a product of the state of shows at the time.
The era of 'quirky alien of the week with wise cracking heroes' scifi was at its end.
The era of story arcs and gritty reboots was in its flow, hence Universe.

Still think its the best Stargate, it had the beginnings of an epic story.

Agreed, by the latter half of season 1 I was looking forward to watching it again and it kills me they didn't get to go on.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DogsInSpace! posted:

100% the fault was on me. I came in expecting light hearted jokes and an alien world that looked like outside Vancouver. I remember it being well filmed, looked expensive and very prestige tv. No fault on the show... I just wanted more SG1 or Atlantis. I had just binged all the rest before and I was late to the SG party.

I'm somewhat like you, came to it late and binged it. Fortunately I had picked up by osmosis that Universe was not the same kind of show, and controversial among fans, so I had just enough inoculation to get me past the shift in tone from SG-1 and Atlantis and hold out until it found what it needed to be (also I knew I was going to enjoy Robert Carlyle no matter what).

And that was definitely still not like the other shows, but it didn't need to be.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was actively uncomfortable watching it, a good portion of the time, for those very same reasons, so I sympathize with that point of view. If I had watched it first run, with no forewarning, I'd probably be right there with you.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

ClydeFrog posted:

Yeah. Putting Stargate in the name set some expectations that there were going to be whacky hijinks in space with cool quips.

Universe was just full of people i was delighted to see accelerating away from earth. Robert Carlyle was v good however. If I were him, I too would have been deeply frustrated to have been stranded with that bunch.

Making everyone antagonistic and pissy isn't a substitute for creating well thought out conflict and drama. It's just forcing the viewer to spend time with dickheads.

However I'm curious to see season two since many people on this forum who have good well thought out opinions on things, say it got good. And yes, i know expecting it to be like other Stargate is my problem. But... I so miss quips in space. I had BSG and B5 for serious pew-pew!

On the one hand, I'd encourage you to try season 2 because they start working together better, and the story gets (at least to me, pretty deep in my wheelhouse) more interesting. However, since they got canceled, it's kind of moot at the same time, and might lead only to a different flavor of frustration.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Seemlar posted:

SG-1 and Atlantis really wiped the board clean of plausible enemies

lol no they didn't, the Wraith are still teeming all over the Pegasus galaxy.

And there are, well, a few other galaxies out there.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

One thing I liked about Universe is the feeling of being *between* galaxies. Something about the void between galaxies has always been very romantic to me, and most shows are either in our galaxy or a fictional one, like Pegasus or the Ori galaxy. Just the idea that there's still billions of stars and planets and moons out there in the "dark" between galactic clusters gives me chills

Pegasus is actually a real named galaxy, a satellite of Andromeda. I looked it up when I was going through Atlantis.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah but young people are dumb and impressionable, whereas old people are set in their ways and more difficult to persuade. Even when you can get a stubborn 65 year old to buy your product, you have a customer for a few years, but when you imprint brand loyalty on a 25 year old skull full of mush, you have a customer for many decades. The ROI is much higher in both respects.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'll be the one who says it: continue SGU. The cryopods glitched because of the low power so the characters aged normally while in stasis. Go.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Vavrek posted:

I should ever finish SGU. Watched it when it came out and didn't bother with Season 2. Rewatched all of SG-1 and Atlantis last year and just slammed hard into the SGU pilot and stopped. Maybe waiting a few months is enough and I should try it now.

SGU turns a corner in the latter half of S1, and keeps getting better from there. I never watched any Stargate until a couple of years ago, and after all of SG1 and Atlantis I knew from internet buzz to expect a big tonal shift for SGU, and decided to give it a shot anyway, and still nearly gave up even then, so I can only imagine the hurdle fans must have faced when it was first airing and they couldn't binge through the first 10-12 episodes or whatever.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh yeah, also continue Atlantis, because they just abandoned the Pegasus galaxy to the Wraith and there's nothing stopping them coming after the Milky Way if they can succeed in getting here, which they already almost did more than once, right?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I wasn't digging SGU at all until after they found the crashed alien ship, but then at least the story started getting interesting enough for me to stick with it. I thought it really turned a corner by the time it started getting mystical with TJ's dream or vision or whatever of her baby on Eden.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I think it helps if you come into SGU already appreciating Robert Carlyle as an actor; I feel like I had a leg up just because I was excited to see him no matter what the rest of the show was like.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

And to be clear, I did like SGU, I'm not saying Rush was a bright spot in an otherwise bad show.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Eli actually took a bit to grow on me for some reason, I'm thinking it's the wunderkind syndrome. Greer definitely had his moments.

Young I actually sort of liked as a Bill Adama wannabe. Not the same at all but I mean he (the character) was trying to be that and just couldn't. He had some skills but was just in over his head; in a vacuum Telford was kind of right. I really hated Telford when I was supposed to, and I thought he did make a turnaround later on.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Plus, Robert Carlyle is a treat to watch act in almost anything.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Take advantage of the work of nerds who really care about these things, we found a guide online that maximized consecutive episodes of each show while keeping the crossovers chronological. That seemed the best way to watch it, to us, mostly ended up as the better part of a season of each at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Khanstant posted:

I've not heard it, or if I have, I didn't catch it or ruminate on it. I don't even know how you ignite a gas giant, besides it getting so big and dense it's grows into a star. You just dump... some other planets... the asteroid belt and hope that's enough matter? Or do you just nuke the hell out of it and hope it get to be hot enough to kickstart star formation? I'm not spaceologist, but surely however close jupiter's moons are to it, they'd be too close and too hot/cold with no atmosphere or magnetosphere or w/e, mercury style? I would also think adding a star so deep into a solar system would cause significant orbital fuckery for literally every body of matter in the area?I think I've heard of the theoretical possibility of a habitable planet in some kind of binary star system, but seems like the transition process could really gently caress it all up forever.

sorry but i am really against "igniting jupiter" apparently. bad idea if you ask me, i would never ignite jupiter.

It would take (a lot) more than the combined mass of all the other planets in our system to make Jupiter even a little wimpy red dwarf star, and I don't think even if you could start fusion that it would be self-sustaining. It would blow itself apart before gravity would keep fusion going. I don't even think you could get it up to brown dwarf status just by adding all the other planets.