Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I always found it weird that we were supposed to take the Lucian Alliance as serious villains. They always seemed more like a minor annoyance at this point in the show. At least until I remember that the SG1 universe always favours the underdog, and at this point the Lucian Alliance is the underdog, not Earth.

You've obviously never had a loved one suffer from a space corn addiction.

As a recent netflix UK subscriber, I too have been re-watching SG1, and I am having a weird mental disconnect. My most recent episode was moebieus and on my original viewing as a teenager I could swear they explicitly showed the jumper towing the gate away in an effects scene, but in the netflix episode it skips straight from Jack and Sam making out in the jumper under assault from Jaffa, to the new timeline with SG1 having the ZPM in their possession without having to lift a finger? Help me out here; did I smoke too much pot as a teen and imagine the uprising scenes or is netlifx version badly edited?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I think the producers have said that the movie was going to end with them being forced to take the city back to Pegasus or it would explode.

This is what I understood as well, yet another ill-conceived and dangerous decision made by those arrogant dick head Ancients!

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

I'm a firm believer that the gate always needs to be a physical prop so I was quite disappointed that it was not. The lighting on the drat ring itself is so glaringly off to me when the gate is active. Additionally I do not think the sound effects the gate makes needed to be changed or updated; those are established things! I guess that makes me a bit of an SG1/Atlantis purist?

I'll support it because I understand that this is the "toe in the water" for Stargate continuing, the difficulty is in finding that balance between supporting a franchise you'd like to see renewed and revitalised, but also providing firm feedback that you won't accept a cheap poorly thought out cash-in either. Unfortunately that's a pretty good description for the stargate command website/app, so I hope the same sloppy approach isn't applied to the new content.

I did like the gao'uld woman and thought the altered voice was more suggestive of the menacing tone of the original movie compared to how campy all the SG1 goa'uld sounded. I also smiled at Catherine's gate trip at the very end of the 3rd one, at least they didn't gently caress with that! ( They probably couldn't afford to do anything other than reuse it though)

Pre-emptive edit: I do remember that SG1 and Atlantis and SGU all used CG gates at some point, I didn't like it then either!

Gelf fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 15, 2018

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

I watch his mouth movements in a deep thrall

Zipacna came up in conversation over a few beers with some friends last week! His eye makeup is well remembered.

I'll take any episode that features Lord Yu.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

I'm talking about the new reboot of BSG. The one that hasn't aired yet.

I'm still hoping that it will all fall through and won't actually happen, just like Brexit!

Glen Larson seems like a right twat.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

My partner was overseas recently and I binged all 4 seasons of Continuum for the first time as there was no chance he would watch it with me! It certainly was a thing!

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

I discovered today that Malozzi's been drip feeding pages from the Atlantis:Extinction movie script over the past month on his blog.

I find navigating the layout of that blog a bit of a nightmare so here are some Gateworld links:

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2019/04/stargate-extinction-movie-script-pages/

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2019/05/stargate-extinction-more-movie-script-pages/

A few more pages have been released since then, which the Gateworld site hasn't posted about yet including a scene between Beckett and Rodney over some turtles, and Todd killing future Todd (who appears to be the ultimate big bad of the movie)!

Reading some of those pages, especially Shepherd in jumper about to engage some fighters in atmosphere.....I could just picture it so clearly in my head!

I miss Stargate!

Edit: Just noticed that Paranoid posted page one of these on 4/20, but there are now more than 8!

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Recently finished up at end of S8 on an SG1 rewatch, instead of S9 we have jumped over to Atlantis instead.

In episode 3 'Hide and Seek' Sheppard's one personal item is a tape of a football game, in episode 9 'Home' he's also somehow smuggled a paperback copy of war and peace:

Weir: War and Peace. Mmm some heavy reading.
Sheppard: Yeah. Well back on Earth when I was getting ready for this mission I realized there was a good chance I might be here for a while so I figured 'why not bring along a book that takes a while to read.'
Weir: Page 17.

I'd be pissed at his "one rule for thee, one rule for me" approach to the one personal item rule if I were on the expedition!

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

pixaal posted:

Seriously that video shows nothing gameplay wise complete waste of everyone's time. The hype train will be dead before this reaches beta if they don't even have an early UI screenshot.

For what it's worth, these folks did a great job with Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock. I won't pay any attention during development as it's clearly early days, but there are reasons to be optimistic about the final product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Just finished Unending tonight capping off a long drawn out re-watch with the husband that started with Sydney's first lockdown last year.

Few aspects of season 9 & 10 hit differently now.....

Seeing Cliff Simon have fun with the Ba'al clones in the weeks following his death :(
Carter's incredulity at how quickly bizzaro-america abandoned democracy in The Road Not Taken....
How quickly they were able to put the lid back on a global pandemic.........

Seeing one of the first "adult Adria" appearances on a large 4k TV for the first time made it really hilariously obvious when one of her "evil" cheapo contact lenses gets stuck in a wonky position and production either doesn't notice or can't afford to go again with the scene. It was my personal highlight of the season.