Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Elentor posted:

The uploading is not as bad once I got the pipeline down. It's awfully slow, yes, but I take the time to review and format the text and review the images to make sure everything's alright. It usually fits nicely.

But the writing and editing takes a while, yes. It's incredible how some small things can be time-consuming. That Beetlejuice image on the Vincent update took well over an hour because I couldn't find the goddamn font (There are many beetlejuice fonts. None related anywhere to what you'd find in the movie) until I gave up and decided to draw the A myself.

It didn't burn me as much as I'd thought though (I'm really just out of time), but I now understand why Cybershell went mad over the course of his Sonic LP haha.

I feel you, Elentor. Since I have a Mac most of the batch editing and uploading options are unavailable to me. Creating an update means renaming the images and deciding which ones to use, individually upsizing them and re-saving them, individually uploading them one at a time through LPIX, and writing up the update along the way. It's not 4-7 hours, but each update takes a lot of time. I do appreciate the effort you're putting into this as FF VII is a game I didn't get to play until years after it came out and it's nice to see someone tearing it apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
My own LP is just starting and I feel that pain. I'm making lots of use of batch conversion and upload, but it takes forever to get all my screenshots, write everything, edit everything... edit everything again... and a third time... Not to mention animated gifs and video. So much fun!

Gives me a new appreciation for all the wonderful LPs I read. (Like this one! We love you Elentor please keep going!)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrPain posted:

So hey remember when this thread was about comparing Midgar to Rio?

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/Latin-America-Monitor/2012/0127/Rio-building-collapse-where-is-the-oversight

Seriously though, what a horrible tragedy. Not trying to be a jerk, just made me think of this thread.

Hmm yea, I was gonna mention this on the next update, but might as well do it now.

Some friends of mine were in the downtown dangerously close to it when it happened. It's crazy. They all heard it and said it was very disturbing.

And I even got to hear the joke "Well at least now we know where's the Mako Reactor".

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ddegenha posted:

Since I have a Mac most of the batch editing and uploading options are unavailable to me. Creating an update means renaming the images and deciding which ones to use, individually upsizing them and re-saving them, individually uploading them one at a time through LPIX, and writing up the update along the way. It's not 4-7 hours, but each update takes a lot of time.
I feel you, dogg. Have you ever considered dual-booting or running a very minor VM? But then, if you like that individual uploading thing for proofreading, then I understand that, too; I (sort of) dual boot (in the sense that I have a Mac HD and a WinOS HD that I tell the BIOS which to boot off of) and even with the option of the Rightload tools, I really do prefer manually uploading things because I know I'm not going to miss an image.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Elentor posted:

Some friends of mine were in the downtown dangerously close to it when it happened.

Were they saved by a Shiny Golden Wire of Hope? :v:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright, got to CD 2 proper and have been working on the updates. I have a surprise for you guys this next week, and I'm sure you'll appreciate it.

zenintrude posted:

Were they saved by a Shiny Golden Wire of Hope? :v:

Jesus Christ.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
A tad bit too soon there. I mean, they guys who made the mako reactor joke were nearly at the scene, so they get some leeway.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 43 - Wutai

It's time for some FF7 LP!

Last time we were convinced by Yuffie to go West instead of looking for the fabled Temple of the Ancients. So, here we go.

While we're looking for a beach to exit the "boat", let's take a look at the map.

As you can see there are three continents (or two and a half) we haven't visited, plus some islands.

The Western Continent (which we're going to), the Northmost Continent and the huge islands to the southeast with two points we haven't visited.

The northmost continent has two points, and the western continent has a point. So there are five potential locations for us to go.

Although we can only float on rivers and shallow areas there's actually a fairly vast network of shallow water covering the world, so we have pretty much access to all the previous places.

We don't have access to all of the new places though. We'll take a look at them after we're done with this place here.

Well, let's see what this is all about. We've got a long run to that location up there.

Of course, as soon as we start walking up that mountain on the world map, the screen fades to this location, and Yuffie stops us. HERE WE GO.

Thanks for the memo. Bye.

Let's be honest, we all knew something was gonna happen.

We kill dragons and eldritch horrors for a living. I think we can handle this.

Wait what

OH GOD YUFFIE IS THE SPY I THOUGHT IT WAS RED XIII

Wait what again? Who are you expecting? What the Christ is going on?

YUFFIE

JUST WHAT DID YOU DO?

WHAT DID YOU DO YUFFIE??

And of course she runs away. Sigh.

Alright guys this is gonna be a piece of cake.

We just need to cast Beta a few times and

Wait a bit

Where is Beta?

Where is Magic?

Where is everything?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

After a painfully painful battle that was considerably harder than the past two bosses, let's think things through.

Yes, Yuffie stole our materia. All of it. Well, kinda.

In truth, she can only carry so much. Usually, that much equals all of your materia, but sometimes you're left with some.

Of course she gives priority to the best materia that you have, so don't expect to have any [Enemy Skill] left (it ranks pretty high in her chart).

That is absolutely true, and she was barely capable of hiding it.

In our case, we're left with a Level 2 Fire Materia. Not bad. Not great, but not bad at all.

The town she ran too is pretty intentionally situated as far as humanly possible.

And it's NOT a straight path. For example, you have to get down here (back to the south) from the end of this bridge to cross the valley underneath.

It's a tour-de-force designed to punish you hard if you're unlucky. Some of the random encounters can be brutal, casting party-wide spells that deal massive damage to everyone. They all have much more HP and Defense you'd want to.

And of course, there's no way to retrieve the materias other than to keep going this side-quest. So let's see what's in it for us.

Oh wow, that's something.

Yuffie immediately runs off screen. This is gonna be good.

Talking about good this is the Asian town of the game, as you may have noticed. It's a gorgeously rendered place. It also features very good music. How can this game have so many good town themes?

Well, I'll be damned.

No poo poo, Sherlock! We finally found you.

What kind of contest is that, really? Spend an obscene amount of money to travel all over the world to see our ads. PS: You're only eligible if you're a filthy rich, in which case you don't need the prize.

How will they know we have read it? Do we have to memorize it? What if people take pics of them and post on the Interweb?

Sadly enough we haven't found all six yet. We're at five.

Oh look, the Turks, staying classy.

We crossed the ocean on a taken down airplane we've been using as a boat.

I'd say it actually is their taste in frequenting the same pubs. You know, the ones that make them feel like gangstas.

As much as the Turks offer some comic relief, I do find them to be some of the most interesting characters in the game.

Cmon that's a little too extreme, we didn't even fight yet.

Hahahahahaha.

Well, it seems we won't be fighting here, for a change.

Turks of course love us. We give them purpose.

Weeee.

I smell a useless Summon Materia. Do you?

Well talking about materia, let's get back to our main mission here - to actually get our materias back.

Let's start looking at the store north to the Turtle's Paradise. Oh look, a chest!

Oh thank the lord, a materia.

[MP Absorb] is a more advanced materia. It returns 1/100th of the damage of the skill you used as MP. Which is more or less like halving the MP cost of the magic we have available right now. This surely will make our [Fire] leftover much more valuable.

Wait, no.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO ARGHHHH :argh:

Thematically and for the convenient price of very expensive, we have access to some good damage items here.

We also have this. Which I want because I like accessories, but can't buy because I'm poor as hell because I run from all fights.

Right now all I can think is that Yuffie is singing "One Jump Ahead" while running away. Let's check this store.

Look at dat arsenal.

Seriously look at the swords they're like four times the size of the characters.

We're not welcome.

Yes, we're definitely being played.

Let's check that pagoda to the northwest.

I want to show you a piece of dialogue not many people know. It can only be triggered in this very early chain of events in Wutai and since you're looking for Yuffie on the main town, it's easy to miss.

Let's enter that house to the right.

We find this man sleeping. He disappears from here the moment we find Yuffie again on the town, so this is our only chance to talk to him.

Well someone's been drinking.

God we're annoying.

We have pretty good evidence this is not the case good sir.

Cloud really should stop wearing these SOLDIER clothes and get back to his true self.

But it does seem like the opposite is even worse for him.

poo poo got real.

We're really flattered Yuffie SO GET OUR MATERIAS BACK.

By now you should be putting 2 and 2 together, so let me guide you through this.

All over the game a "war" has been mentioned. Sephiroth was one of the famous war heroes. When Cloud made to SOLDIER, he even told Sephiroth in the truck he was afraid now that the war was over, he wouldn't be able to be famous.

As you might have guessed, the other end of the war was Wutai, the town we're in right now.

And what happened since Wutai's lost the war?

It became a touristic spot.

That guy is Wutai's leader, and I don't think it's needed to tell much about the relation between those two.

Yes, Godo is Yuffie's father, Yuffie is pretty much a princess (it wouldn't be a JRPG without someone from a royal family in our group now, would it?) and Yuffie blames her father for turning Wutai into a touristic resort since the war ended.

More mindblowingly, there's a character in a JRPG WHOSE FATHER IS ALIVE. I don't remember the last time I saw that, but I don't play many JRPGs so I'm sure there's plenty of cases I don't care about.

Oh well, there she goes.

It was fun meeting you Mr. Godo.

Awesome. Bye.

Next time!

More chasing! More chasing! A PLOT TWIST!

Awesome music we've listened to in this chapter:

Wutai Theme - Another great town theme in a game full of great town themes.
Sweet Transvestite - Yes, that is Tim Curry.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh god I remember the first time I walked into this with no idea what was going on :gonk:

ForsakenDragoon
Jun 17, 2010
You know, it was this side quest as a kid that made me forever hate her. I mean, stealing almost all of my materia? That's just rude. :psyduck:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I never knew about that conversation between Yuffie and her father. That was actually pretty neat.

On a side-note, I started a new run of FF7 after lurking in this thread from the beginning, and I think it was here that someone suggested renaming all of the characters Sephiroth. It seemed like a fabulous idea at the time and was amusing for about four hours, but I'm on disc 2 now and it is more of a case of "Why was this funny? :suicide:"

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

I never knew about that conversation between Yuffie and her father. That was actually pretty neat.

And I had no idea that it was actually missable, I always assumed it was one of the required steps to proceed with her sidequest.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
For my initial equipment game I didn't recruit Yuffie until I got to Wutai to buy Swift Bolts and Fire Plumes first. Then I got her then did the sidequest, mostly for Absorb MP.

Comet2 or Ultima deal enough damage that Absorb MP recovers more MP than they cost. Random encounters didn't stand a chance.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Comet2 or Ultima deal enough damage that Absorb MP recovers more MP than they cost. Random encounters didn't stand a chance.

This is another of those things that irks me a little that I never figured out over the years. I never used to use Absorb MP, it didn't occur to me that at the very least it makes any magic cheaper to use, and it can be used with some Command materia for free MP.

Though I don't do particularly badly in RPGs, I do fine, but when I see things like this that are blindingly obvious uses for something that I never thought of, makes me feel like I should hang up my RPG boots and stick to Mystic Quest.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Elentor posted:

As much as the Turks offer some comic relief, I do find them to be some of the most interesting characters in the game.

I think so too. A lot of people don't like that the Turks are never really punished for their actions in the first disc, i.e. dropping the plate crust and murdering a poo poo-ton of people. While this is certainly a valid complaint, I have to remember that AVALANCHE, by their actions of blowing up the Mako reactors, probably causing far more damage and devastation that the game indicated. What about all the hospitals and orphanages powered by Mako, and all the people on life support therein and around the crust? What about the loss of power to elevators, trains, and other doors powered by the same, trapping people inside? Mass outages of electricity may be an annoyance to some, but it's serious business for other people. And Barrett and the party never recieved comeuppance for causing that either, and sorry, I don't consider "being forced to leave the city they hate anyway" much of a punisment.

And then there's this other fact: being a Turk is a salaried position within Shinra, presumably with benefits, whereas Barrett participates in AVALANCE ideologically and although money changed hands between Cloud and him, there was no indication that the other members recieved any payment at all besides stayiong at Tifa's bar. So I guess the important question here is, who is more evil: the man who causes destruction for a salary, paid vacation, a dental plan and a 401K, or the man who does the same for free?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
The first time i played this game, with the PC version, for some reason, this sidequest refused to trigger. Yuffie never stole my materia and I never had to chase her. This meant some of the stuff in town was impossible to access, but I was able to do her personal quest here.

It wasn't until I played the PS1 version a couple of years later that I found out about this whole sequence. If have wanted to kill Yuffster if I hadn't been laughing so much. She is, hands down, my favorite character in this game (Aeris is a close second.)

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

resurgam40 posted:

So I guess the important question here is, who is more evil: the man who causes destruction for a salary, paid vacation, a dental plan and a 401K, or the man who does the same for free?

What a sad world we they live in. "Ya, I occasionally have to kill thousands of innocent people, but the benefits are amazing."

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Phoenix Taichou posted:

This is another of those things that irks me a little that I never figured out over the years. I never used to use Absorb MP, it didn't occur to me that at the very least it makes any magic cheaper to use, and it can be used with some Command materia for free MP.

Though I don't do particularly badly in RPGs, I do fine, but when I see things like this that are blindingly obvious uses for something that I never thought of, makes me feel like I should hang up my RPG boots and stick to Mystic Quest.

You can regen even more mana if you get creative with chain-linking materia.
Or just attach it to some late-game summons.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
This is where my farthest playthrough of FF7 ended, since I was so underleveled and unprepared I wasn't able to survive the encounters to even get to Wutai after my materia was stolen.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

John Luebke posted:

And I had no idea that it was actually missable, I always assumed it was one of the required steps to proceed with her sidequest.
Same. This game's actually pretty deep. As in there's a lot of stuff to be found, and you can just keep going deeper.

Honestly, that's probably what encourages certain people to start looking too far into things.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Elentor posted:

That is absolutely true, and she was barely capable of hiding it.

In our case, we're left with a Level 2 Fire Materia. Not bad. Not great, but not bad at all.

I know a poo poo ton about Final Fantasy 7, including that scene with Godo and the scene in Niblheim and a ton more secrets, but I have never seen this menu before. :psyboom: Also, this was the first time in this game I had to actually grind because of the lack of materia.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yuffie's such a good thief she rips Materia right out of the sockets of the equipment of people who are chillin' back in the planeboat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glazius posted:

Yuffie's such a good thief she rips Materia right out of the sockets of the equipment of people who are chillin' back in the planeboat.

Back on the Tiny Bronco, Cid tries to light a cigarette with a Fire spell and realizes what's happened.

The swearing can be heard all the way in Wutai.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Medieval Medic posted:

I know a poo poo ton about Final Fantasy 7, including that scene with Godo and the scene in Niblheim and a ton more secrets, but I have never seen this menu before. :psyboom:

:stare: How did you swap your materia between party members without it?

And... how long did it take you? :v:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Elentor, was it intentional that you got enough Materia in order to be left with one left, or did it just happen? Because you need an asston of Materia in order for Yuffie to not steal it all.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
What happens if you go to Wutai without Yuffie in your party? Or what happens if you don't pick her up until Disc 3? Do you just 1-shot the boss by being so overleveled?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Medieval Medic posted:

I know a poo poo ton about Final Fantasy 7, including that scene with Godo and the scene in Niblheim and a ton more secrets, but I have never seen this menu before. :psyboom: Also, this was the first time in this game I had to actually grind because of the lack of materia.

:psyboom:

I did not know this existed either.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Glazius posted:

And yet so lazy she will never do this to any of your enemies when you actually want her to.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Golbez posted:

:psyboom:

I did not know this existed either.

Welp, now I don't feel so dumb for not knowing about soft resets as a kid. Guess we're on par for needlessly complicating things.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Dr. Dos posted:

Do you just 1-shot the boss by being so overleveled?

Yup. You're also left with quite a bit of materia, since you should have so much of it by that point.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Dos posted:

What happens if you go to Wutai without Yuffie in your party? Or what happens if you don't pick her up until Disc 3? Do you just 1-shot the boss by being so overleveled?

I did this on my first playthrough years ago. It's just a normal town without recruiting her, but even if you find her in disc 3, she still does the stealing event, and all the enemies and the boss fight don't scale.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Medieval Medic posted:

yeah what the hell how do you get this menu?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I didn't discover that menu until the playthrough I am doing right now. It's the "exchange" menu that's under "arrange" to the left of the character's armor slots.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Medieval Medic posted:

It took me quite a few playthroughs to discover it myself. I feel your pain. Before that, it was a matter of removing all the materia from one person on the normal materia equipping screen, then reassigning them all back again on the other person.

Of additional note is the fact that on this screen, you can (e: if I'm remembering right, which I might not be):

- Move one materia at a time by selecting an individual materia slot.
- Move an item's (weapon/armor) materia setup to a different item by moving to the left and selecting "Wpn." or "Arm."
- Move a character's *entire* materia setup to a different character by moving to the left and then up to the character name.

It's been so many years though, that I forget what exactly happens when trying to move materia en masse (by item or by character) when there isn't a destination materia slot for something to go. (Example: Yuffie hadn't stolen our materia, Vincent's eight slots are full, and we try to move those en masse to Cait Sith who only has seven slots.)

It probably just unequips that particular materia, with or without a warning, but I forget the exact details.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

DontMockMySmock posted:

I didn't discover that menu until the playthrough I am doing right now. It's the "exchange" menu that's under "arrange" to the left of the character's armor slots.

Doesn't the game either explain this, or force you to use it at the end of Shinra HQ? When the team splits up to fight Rufus and the robot in the elevator?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vil posted:

It's been so many years though, that I forget what exactly happens when trying to move materia en masse (by item or by character) when there isn't a destination materia slot for something to go. (Example: Yuffie hadn't stolen our materia, Vincent's eight slots are full, and we try to move those en masse to Cait Sith who only has seven slots.)

It probably just unequips that particular materia, with or without a warning, but I forget the exact details.
It just doesn't move that materia, leaving it on the originating character.

Aragaith
Jul 26, 2006

Kirisame Marisa.
In space.
Help.
wutai was a fun part of this game. i played PC version and found a nice glitch out when yuffie stole my materia. was weird and never was able to get anyone else able to repeat it, but you were able to nab free mp plus materia anytime someone left the party.

using the screen that elentor showed vincent with the fire materia, there was a way to make that screen remember its last position, if before you had a member leave you scrolled to the lower person it would be on a blank entry had two of the invisible locations you could pull out an mp plus and swap onto someone else.

for the most part completely useless, but was still an interesting glitch back then.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
The first part of this quest, ie Yuffie robbing you blind and going after her, can't be done on disc three. It's a spoiler to explain why, so just take my word for it. You can still do the other part of this sidequest though.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Serifina posted:

It wasn't until I played the PS1 version a couple of years later that I found out about this whole sequence. If have wanted to kill Yuffster if I hadn't been laughing so much. She is, hands down, my favorite character in this game (Aeris is a close second.)

Yeah Yuffie has always been my favorite character from 7 but this LP has really made me appreciate how goddamn hilarious Aeris is and how I really missed out on some of her best lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

yeah what the hell how do you get this menu?

To answer the question, in the regular materia menu move the cursor to "Arrange", press Circle (or whatever you bound OK to) then select "Exchange" from the pop-up menu.

To swap entire matria sets between characters just select the Character names. Doing so also swaps Accessories if I remember it right. You can also select armor/weapon slots to swap only a single row of materia at once.

• Locked thread