Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Brainamp posted:

So the massive twists before hand were just par for the course then?

Yes, comparatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Let me rephrase that, I should have said really, really stupid. Its already pretty weird now it just gets dumb.

I have my reasons for hating this next section but because we haven't seen its gimmick yet I'll hold off on them.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Aren't all of SOLDIER injected with Jenova cells to make them super soldiers? Would that make all the black-robed clones members of SOLDIER who couldn't hold it together as well as Cloud did?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's been said by characters that Soldier have Mako energy somehow implanted inside them, but I think the only characters we've been told have Jenova cells are Sephiroth, Cloud, and the black-robed Reunion dudes.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vicissitude posted:

Aren't all of SOLDIER injected with Jenova cells to make them super soldiers? Would that make all the black-robed clones members of SOLDIER who couldn't hold it together as well as Cloud did?

No, they're just bathed in Lifestream:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And this is the same stuff powering Shinra's nuclear reactors. So basically, all members of SOLDIER are the Toxic Avenger.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
So Mako is like...radioactive planet blood that gives mutant powers/endurance to certain people?

...was Shinra trying to become the next Magneto? :tinfoil:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't think the Life Force is radioactive though I do find it odd that it's supposed to be 'good' and required for life, yet when you bathe things in it, it turns them in to horrific monsters and twists them into engines of death. And when you gently caress around with the planet it spits out Godzilla.

I wonder of Captain Planet would approve.

PoliteMachineGun
Oct 5, 2011

They noticed me!
Covet this, fools!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I don't think the Life Force is radioactive though I do find it odd that it's supposed to be 'good' and required for life, yet when you bathe things in it, it turns them in to horrific monsters and twists them into engines of death. And when you gently caress around with the planet it spits out Godzilla.

It's like sunlight. Too little and most plants won't grow, too much and everything gets cancer forever.

Captain Planet would be all up in Shinra's grill for messing with the glory.

PoliteMachineGun
Oct 5, 2011

They noticed me!
Covet this, fools!
E: oh god drat it browser

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I think Mako poisoning is more like a magical mental condition rather than radiation (at least until you get really soaked in it). Either way, the game doesn't really explain why it doesn't happen to SOLDIER. Diluted baths over an extended period of time? It's like drugs - a single overdose may cause psychosis, physical change comes with time.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think it's supposed to be that only the best of the best can survive/get superpowers from the process.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Assuming this is in reference to the Nibelheim reactor, I was under the impression (and I'm pretty sure it's what the game meant) is that the test subjects in the pods are like that because they're being given Jenova cells. Jenova was being held in that same reactor with lots of IVs going every which way after all. Regular SOLDIER recruits are just shot up with liquid souls which makes them something along the lines of a Buddhist Captain America.

...that was a terrible analogy and I'm sorry.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The energy in the lifestream is necessary for the health of the planet, but that doesn't mean that getting injected with a large quantity of concentrated lifestream energy is a good idea. You're basically cramming a person's body full of more soul-juice than it was designed to carry around, which could have some pretty terrible side effects.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Frocobo posted:

Assuming this is in reference to the Nibelheim reactor, I was under the impression (and I'm pretty sure it's what the game meant) is that the test subjects in the pods are like that because they're being given Jenova cells. Jenova was being held in that same reactor with lots of IVs going every which way after all. Regular SOLDIER recruits are just shot up with liquid souls which makes them something along the lines of a Buddhist Captain America.

...that was a terrible analogy and I'm sorry.

There's a bit more to it than that, and you've got some stuff wrong. Right now, to our knowledge, there are three levels of loving around with the human body in the game:

1. Normal SOLDIERs: Showered in Mako (apparently quite literally), which increases their physical and magical aptitude. I guess they're given souls of bodybuilders and wizards, I dunno how they determine that, but whatever. Definitely superior, but still normal enough to pass inspection.

2. The creatures in the Nibelheim reactor: Exposed to extremely high levels of Mako for extended periods of time, crystallizing their bodies, and effectively turning them into walking materia. They're released as monsters, because Hojo is nuts.

3. Sephiroth: Injected with Jenova cells, and exposed to much higher levels of Mako than a normal SOLDIER. Grants abilities like those we've seen already, and is quite obviously far and away beyond the power of any normal human or SOLDIER.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Elentor posted:

No, they're just bathed in Lifestream:
I hope this doesn't count as a spoiler or anything, but there's a line later in the game that says -edited out-

I'll edit this out if it's a problem. :ohdear:

EDIT: Took it out on request of people. Just thought since the quote has no context and isn't a huge story point, it might not be a spoiler.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 29, 2012

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

VagueRant posted:

I hope this doesn't count as a spoiler or anything [...] problem. :ohdear:
I'm not the OP or a mod, but yes, I'm pretty sure posting a line that shows up later in the game and clarifies something counts as a spoiler. If we haven't seen it yet it's a spoiler.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Does it explain that? I thought that was from EU. But then again, I think I got probated for spoiler tagging something that the game never explicitly explains, so you might wanna take that down.

Rockdash
Jan 5, 2010
Glad you're back, Elentor. I was getting worried that this LP might not ever come back. :ohdear:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Welcome back Elentor, is your computer fixed so you're able to update again, or is this just a quick fix to help us junkies hold out?

ReturnOfFable posted:

If I remember correctly, this is when the plot starts to get really, really weird.

I think someone has said this at the end of the last dozen updates now, as someone who doesn't remember much plot beyond this point, it's getting tiresome. If this LP ends up like LOST I'm going to be very disappointed.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kinda sorta. But there are some explanations along the way instead of just questions upon questions upon questions, so it's not all bad.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.
I squee'd a little when this thread appeared on the thread list. Good job Elentor!

ReturnOfFable posted:

If I remember correctly, this is when the plot starts to get really, really weird. That and that the gameplay starts to change.
I remember this point being where the materia endgame starts to come into effect. But I think the plot is over its weirdest bits now. I mean, things do get more complicated, in ways to be revealed, but the mindfuckery has hit its peak.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Right now, Cloud is actually wandering around aimlessly in another, somehow even more poorly translated game.

Poor Cloud.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Indeterminacy posted:

I squee'd a little when this thread appeared on the thread list. Good job Elentor!

I remember this point being where the materia endgame starts to come into effect. But I think the plot is over its weirdest bits now. I mean, things do get more complicated, in ways to be revealed, but the mindfuckery has hit its peak.

Materia endgame? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Though, I did end up speeding through this portion of the game so I think I may have missed something important.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think he means you start getting the crazy endgame Materia. Ultimate spells and abilities.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Indeterminacy posted:

Nah, we still haven't hit the bit that explains any of what the gently caress just happened. That'd be the peak, in my mind.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Dr Pepper posted:

I think he means you start getting the crazy endgame Materia. Ultimate spells and abilities.
Yup. Also, your earlier materia starts to hit its last ability level, and... well, spoilers.

Dauntasa posted:

Nah, we still haven't hit the bit that explains any of what the gently caress just happened. That'd be the peak, in my mind.
But the explanation... kinda makes it less mindfucky?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Explanations, in general, tend to make things less mindfucky, yes. If nothing else, they take away "but why/how" aspect by giving you a definite answer.

calicojacque
Apr 3, 2011

Brainamp posted:

So the massive twists before hand were just par for the course then?

Yes.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Dr Pepper posted:

We reached the materia endgame when Comet was picked up. :colbert:

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 29, 2012

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Meaty Ore posted:

We reached the materia endgame when Comet was picked up. :colbert:

You misspelled Enemy Skills.

More seriously, by the game's reckoning Comet is a midgame magic, evidenced by the +/-5% stat mods on the thing (Unless I'm misremembering, in which case carry on). And really, Comet 2 is pretty good but I'd rather have other later spells that don't drag out quite as horribly on the animation end.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 64 - Fade to Black

After the apocalyptic events and a little fade-to-black, we get a little tea time with our favorite screw-ups.

Well Tifa - don't worry - no one's gonna be too hard on you. But you did gently caress up on a global scale and probably ruined the life of everyone alive in the Planet, possibly in the universe.

Nevertheless...

This is a most interesting flashback - we finally get to see what happened.

Tifa found a demented Cloud sitting by the train station, after many years.

As soon as he sees Tifa, he gets invigorated.

It's worth mentioning...

This entire sequence is extremely weird.

Cloud starts out drooling like a brain-damaged kid, as if he's in blank state. When he sees Tifa he suddenly gets up.

As he starts "recovering" his memories there are white flashes and weird glitchy sounds, as if his memories are being recovered/made-up on the fly.

Of course, Cloud looks like a bum thrown away. We don't know what happened before that yet.

Smells like PTSD to me!

As soon as she looks away, he starts freaking out.

It's a very creepy scene.

This entire exchange has this weird feeling about it. It's not supposed to feel right.

Nothing is right.

But by now we know that.

This is a great example of FF7's unreliable narrators. Tifa was hiding all this time, so omitting the facts. During the original flashback, she lied.

In the meanwhile, Cloud has been delusional.

Nothing is set in stone, and this is why the plot in this game gets really weird. Everything is suspicious.

Even this sequence right now.

This is why multiple replays can be interesting if you know where to look for the things that are "off", but...

It's also the reason why you can play this game multiple times and STILL don't understand the plot if you're not paying attention.

The information handed out at the beginning of the game will screw everything you learned later on, and so on.

In Tifa's defense, all she knew was that her friend was hosed up. She didn't know the extent of it.

But then again, she got involved with a group that was bombing reactors.

And decided to include her brain-damaged childhood friend in that.

Nevermind, it was a really stupid idea either way.

We're out of darkness, into the light again. Until next time!

NEXT TIME:

Confusion! Paranoia! Media manipulation! Mass Control!

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 30, 2012

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So Cloud's missing two years? drat.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man I don't really remember this part.

But man that bit with Cloud freaking out when Tifa looked away is creepy.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Elentor posted:

Tifa was hiding all this time, so omitting the facts. During the original flashback, she lied.

Are these two images supposed to be the same? They're different file names but (as far as I can tell) the same picture.

And yeah, the various Cloud white-flash moments are a lot creepier once you realize that the flash indicates a hole in his memory, rather than just some sort of harmless "meh, we don't need to show the player the details of this scene, they get the gist" handwave in presentation.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Holy gently caress, I really didn't remember all of this crazyness that happened.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
What music was playing during that bit?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Noreaus posted:

What music was playing during that bit?

I'd wager either On This Day, Five Years Ago or Anxious Heart.

They both play in scenes like this. And they're kinda similar. :v:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Glazius posted:

So Cloud's missing two years? drat.

I think what she is saying here is that the last time Tifa saw Cloud, the kid from her village was seven years ago. But Cloud thinks he last saw her five years ago, when Sephiroth was in Nibelheim, while Tifa remembers the black-haired SOLDIER instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

This is a sweet turning point. I must have replayed this game 5 or so times over 10 years before I actually got that Tifa was part of the problem.

Can't wait for the next update!

• Locked thread