Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hymirvetr posted:

After she took the first whiff things got weird;the rest of the game is hallucinated by Tifa due to the effects of the gas.
Actually, she's still in coma.

VVV: Dude, that's not explained until FFVII-2. Spoiler that poo poo.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Actually, she's still in coma.

Actually the entire game is Cloud in a coma after falling out of reactor 5.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Elentor posted:

Oh lord look at his face.

Is Sapphire Weapon having his vinegar strokes?

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

GrimRevenant posted:

There are tricks that can, among other things, prevent showing related videos at all.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for embedded videos on these forums due to the way the [video] tag is handled, and doesn't work at all for normal YouTube links, which means the only working way I know is to link to the video in full-screen via the following syntax:

http://www.youtube.com/v/XsYlxEywO6w&rel=0

Upside is, no related videos. Full-screen (well, full browser window) may be an advantage or a disadvantage. Either way, hope this is at least informative, if not helpful.

I fixed my post to leave out the spoilery bits. :shobon:

And Elentor, this LP is amazing. Your commentary always adds or reveals something new to a game I played 3 times over as a kid. I can't wait for the next two installments because I know my favorite moment game is going to be in one of them! Having said that, Final Fantasy 7 without the music just...isn't Final Fantasy 7. :(

But your LP is amazing anyway! :dance:

BuhamutZeo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 17, 2012

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Looking at Saphhire's face closely, I can't imagine all those scars and chips mising from his carapace are from the first shot of the canon at the ocean. And they don't look like barnacles.

I can only conclude this is prior battle damage from the first time the Weapons rose up and started smashing things.

Michael Arlowe
Feb 19, 2011

and your a little faggot that has no friends , you retarded mushroom

Dauntasa posted:

Actually the entire game is Cloud in a coma after falling out of reactor 5.

Ah, the "Cloud's Dead" theory.

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

But I wonder how the ghost fit inside a bottle?
Better than the C=S theory.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Blind the Thief posted:

Better than the C=S theory.
I dunno, I think there's something to it. I mean, doesn't Aeris DIE in that cutscene? Gotta make a man want to turn evil. Also, Sephiroth uses a sword that YOU GET IN THE GOLD SAUCER DURING THE GAME. Sounds like proof to me.

Michael Arlowe
Feb 19, 2011

and your a little faggot that has no friends , you retarded mushroom

Indeterminacy posted:

I dunno, I think there's something to it. I mean, doesn't Aeris DIE in that cutscene? Gotta make a man want to turn evil. Also, Sephiroth uses a sword that YOU GET IN THE GOLD SAUCER DURING THE GAME. Sounds like proof to me.

You've got to wonder. I mean, Shinra was able to create a new Nibelheim out of seemingly nowhere, and besides Cloud and Tifa, nobody knew any better. What if Cloud and Tifa were both created by Hojo, and Nibelheim's "destruction" was only memories planted inside of their minds? It's a lot more plausible than 1. Shinra being able to fool literally the entire world into thinking Nibelheim hadn't been destroyed, and 2. Sephiroth, possibly the greatest SOLDIER who ever lived, being able to walk around and not be recognized by ANYONE.

Maybe Cloud is Sephiroth all along. :tinfoil:

Michael Arlowe fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 18, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Elentor posted:

The reason that huge laser did so little damage to the building is because damage is capped at 9999.

The cannon is clearly exploiting the overflow glitch.

Dude. Spoilers.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Last time I played this game (like a couple months ago), I missed Barret's alternate best weapon, so I couldn't capitalize on the damage overflow glitch :(

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

The White Dragon posted:

Last time I played this game (like a couple months ago), I missed Barret's alternate best weapon, so I couldn't capitalize on the damage overflow glitch :(
This is why my playthrough involved my nose to a game guide (figuratively) the entire way through. Now I have a perfect file of perfection that no one else in the world will see. :toot:

I really like this introduction to the current conflict. It shows how Humanity and the Earth are now at war and just about evenly matched. It gets you into the mood of what's going on during Disk 2.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sapphire Weapon is the best character in the game so far, really.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 68 - Poppin' and Slappin'

Last time, the Weapon blew up the Shinra building with a well-placed 9999 crit.

Quite frankly, we could have done it with Aeris and an umbrella, so I'm not that impressed.

Anyway, we climb out of the cell. This is an interesting part...

Basically, Scarlet and her goons decide to follow us.

Fortunately for us, they can never really catch you.

If you play "normally" they're there just to give the moment some tension as they'll follow you somewhat closely...

...but if you stop they won't follow until you proceed to the never checkpoint.

We fall down to the cannon, this part can be a bit confusing.

I really like the cannon though.

It's a bit mixed between steampunk and dieselpunk.

The geometry in this part is confusing. You can kinda move freely around but there's only one spot to proceed.

It's quiet. I really like this scenery.

Either way, we're kinda running out of space and into a dead end.

And yes, she's followed us all the way to the cannon. She really, really, really hates Tifa.

Look, there's a reason to this Chapter's name.

Namely the most infamous fight in this game.

Yes. It's a slap-fighting combat simulator. And you thought the death row chambertronic 2000 was stupid.

Basically you have to find the sweet spot for timing your slap right before Scarlet.

Sometimes, one must take fate in their own hands.

I want you to take this time and appreciate how complex Scarlet model is compared to the others.

I don't know -

Falling from the cannon DOES sound better than dying a "slow, painful, agonizing death" through choking.

OBI-WAN NOT NOW.

Oh my.

It's...

THE FLYING BATTERY ZONE.

I'm just kidding, it's Barret in the ship they stole!

Flying Battery Zone is actually much later on. Also, it's not flying.

I'm gonna be honest, though, I found this to be a pretty awesome escape sequence. I always felt like the Junon sequence was the real start of CD 2 and in narrative structure, this would be the equivalent to CD 1's escape from Midgar.

If I had to offer one complaint about FF7's CGs is how schizophrenic the character style is. Sometimes you get pre-rendered SD characters, sometimes you get the pre-rendered full-detail characters.

But you know what, let's appreciate 97's motion goodness in screenshots.

Like Tifa's "HOLY CRAP I MISSED THE ROPE" look.

There you are.

And off we go. gently caress the Tiny Bronco we now have a kickass airship in our hands.

I mean, look at that poo poo. I'm not even sure how it flies but it sure looks cool.

Life is good again.

NEXT TIME:

Holy crap we have a flying boat I mean holy poo poo!

Awesome Music we've listened in this Chapter:

Flying Battery Act 1 - One of the best tracks from Sonic & Knuckles, not that it had many and not that the others weren't also the best tracks from Sonic & Knuckles, but you got the gist of it.

Flying Battery Act 2 - Do you really, really love chromatic progression like the one in James Bond? Why goodness, another 10 minutes of it!

Snappleman - Dead Batteries - I know you guys love remixes and this is awesome. Normall I'd say it can't get better than that -

MC Hammer goodness - Except for this. There you go, the ultimate Flying Batteries "remix". Have fun.

Chapter 68 Bugs & Bytes

Clubbed Bitchslapped to Death

I felt like this deserved some additional posting -

Like I said you can lose the slap fight. It's fairly hard since you can just smash the O button like a madman and you'll end up winning, but, you know...

There's no Save Point anywhere near so I sure as hell didn't want to try it back in the day. The magazines said you'd get a Game Over if you lost.

Instead, Tifa simply falls down and the cutscenes proceed as usual.

So no, nothing happens. Tifa can't be slapped to death and she sure as hell can't choke either, or be caught by guards. So if you're playing and you get to this place, rest assured that all tension has been killed for you. You're welcome!

Cannon in D

Look, English is not my first or second language but I could swear it should be "Cannon" here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's unreal how moronic that slapping sequence is. Tifa should've roundhouse-kicked Scarlet into the drat ocean.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I mean sure, like, everybody else gets an actual solo boss fight. Not Tifa though.

PoliteMachineGun
Oct 5, 2011

They noticed me!
Covet this, fools!

Oxxidation posted:

It's unreal how moronic that slapping sequence is. Tifa should've roundhouse-kicked Scarlet into the drat ocean.

This. Tifa can punch robots to death with her bare hands. Scarlet's got another thing coming if she thinks she can out-backhand Tifa.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

PoliteMachineGun posted:

This. Tifa can punch robots to death with her bare hands. Scarlet's got another thing coming if she thinks she can out-backhand Tifa.

She's an executive bigwig and she still ran all the way after Tifa down the side of a building. Also consider that she pretty much told her guards 'you're doing it wrong', grabbed their gun and shot at Dyne and Barret's arms with near eerily perfect accuracy.

Say what you like about the woman, but she's dedicated to getting her job/execution done. It's a lot more impressive than anything Rufus or Heidegger's done so far.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elentor posted:

Look, English is not my first or second language but I could swear it should be "Cannon" here.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

KataraniSword posted:

I can't give them this much credit. I want to explain why, but I'm seriously afraid of brushing that spoilers rule with even hinting.

Welcome to the moment that made me realize that FF7 was sincere in how much it stuck to its moronic minigame guns.

There is nothing more stupid, more blatantly banal than BITCHSLAP MINIGAME.

I cannot imagine anyone greenlighting this with anything but the most glassy-eyed, ignorant glee. :arghfist::downs:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 23, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's so dumb it loops around to hilarious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

She's an executive bigwig and she still ran all the way after Tifa down the side of a building. Also consider that she pretty much told her guards 'you're doing it wrong', grabbed their gun and shot at Dyne and Barret's arms with near eerily perfect accuracy.

Say what you like about the woman, but she's dedicated to getting her job/execution done. It's a lot more impressive than anything Rufus or Heidegger's done so far.

Rufus calmly organized a terrified corporate militia into blowing the head off Surfer Godzilla. Rufus is the best, better than the rest.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Chapter 69 - Minigame Madness

Who even thought of this? Still, it is one of the most memorable moments for me...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dr Pepper posted:

It's so dumb it loops around to hilarious.

Yeah, to me it's just another one of those really goofy and funny random things that's part of the FFVII experience. Kind of like cross-dressing in Wall Market.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Elentor posted:

I mean, look at that poo poo. I'm not even sure how it flies but it sure looks cool.

Hmm. Looking at it, the double rotor design suggests it should fly something like an Osprey or a Chinook, but the blades would need to be much longer...either just short of overlapping, or overlapping with one higher than the other. The screw at the bottom would push forward, so I think this might be a semi-workable design if the dimensions were adjusted a bit. It would still probably fly with the nose downward and those dual fins in the back kind of up in the air.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Oxxidation posted:

I always just assumed Tifa didn't want to kill a woman who was clearly way weaker than her.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I like to think that Tifa was injured or out of breath or something before "fighting" Scarlet. Because, yeah, most of Tifa's moves look like martial arts of some sort before being reduced to a slap contest.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

That and Tifa hadn't been an hour out of a coma and nearly gassed to death. But it's still dumb as all hell

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, to me it's just another one of those really goofy and funny random things that's part of the FFVII experience. Kind of like cross-dressing in Wall Market.

But the cross-dressing moment was still early in the game, and there was an appropriate build up to the end result. In this case, the tension of escaping horrible execution is deflated by a retarded and nonsensical cat-fight :regd07:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirPhoebos posted:

But the cross-dressing moment was still early in the game, and there was an appropriate build up to the end result. In this case, the tension of escaping horrible execution is deflated by a retarded and nonsensical cat-fight :regd07:

It's trying to obfuscate the fact your gang just stole a gigantic airship and they're about to rescue you.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I keep trying to come up with ways to defend this scene in my head since I love FFVII, but I've got nothing. It would have been way more fun to have an actual battle here (where you have the option to equip materia beforehand because come on who would have remembered to do that?)

Edit: And also, how many people does it take to get that airship running? I imagine that Barret and friends just kidnapped a hundred people or so, probably some trade goods and passengers as well.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Momomo posted:

I always just assumed Tifa didn't want to kill a woman who was clearly way weaker than her.

I figured that Tifa found it more satisfying to humiliate Scarlet rather than kill her.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
This should be a disclaimer on every sequel ever made now. Perfect trolltastic times.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That was an awesome game out of nowhere. Oh god I'm going to play it again!

I'm also ashamed to say that I had totally forgotten about the slapfight minigame. But oh man, it's perfect.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Elentor posted:

And off we go. gently caress the Tiny Bronco we now have a kickass airship in our hands.

I've probably mentioned it already, but as far as airships in this series go, this is one of the more practical ones. It actually appears to have some gasbags to, you know, hold helium or Aero injected mako or whatever. The gasbags aren't very big so it has some huge helicopter rotors to help with the whole "lift" thing. That makes it a hybrid airship and much cooler looking. The only airships in the series that are more likely to be airworthy are the ones in FF6.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 23, 2012

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Goggle Fox posted:

Also, I think that minigame just now is the devs making fun of having so many minigames.

KataraniSword posted:

I can't give them this much credit. I want to explain why, but I'm seriously afraid of brushing that spoilers rule with even hinting.

Elentor posted:

Look, there's a reason to this Chapter's name.

Namely the most infamous fight in this game.

I stand corrected. In my defense, video game irony is virtually indistinguishable from terrible game design decisions. Also whoever's responsible for tainting Squaresoft/Square-Enix's water cooler to spawn awful mini-games, they need to be fired.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I prefer the awful minigames to games made entirely of hallways and cutscenes they do nowadays.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 23, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Concordat posted:

I prefer the awful minigames to games made entirely of hallways and cutscenes they do nowadays.

"JRPGs" as a genre have always been about two things: Battle systems and convoluted (typically to the point of being borderline nonsensical) plots.

The more modern "hallway and cutscene" take on things may be less enjoyable, but it's a natural progression of the genre, and puts all of its flaws in stark, obvious contrast.

Drowning the game in mini-games and OCD puzzles that stroke your collectathon gland (the Prize Exchange machine in Shinra HQ, Fort Condor) is a way to distract people from how hokey the genre is, but ultimately, that's all it is - distraction, window dressing, bells and whistles.

And I didn't much like this game's bells or whistles.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Gonna have to agree with that "it's so dumb I like it" sentiment

quote:

"JRPGs" as a genre have always been about two things: Battle systems and convoluted (typically to the point of being borderline nonsensical) plots.

ff8 came out after this game, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Concordat posted:

Except Final Fantasy IX's Chocobo Hot & Cold which is quite possibly the greatest minigame ever created by Square. I dare you to name one better. :colbert:

• Locked thread