Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
^ The Jenova cell/clone stuff is basically elaborated later (possibly soon), along with some other missing information about Cloud.

the Nibelheim flashback posted:

Cloud: It's sure raining hard. Hey, how are you doing?

Shinra Soldier: I'm all right.

Cloud: I wouldn't know… I've never had motion sickness.
(to the other Shinra soldier) Everything okay?

Sephiroth: Hey. Settle down.
I'm curious if that soldier was meant to be Cloud.
I don't have this in screenshots because Elentor cut the line. I really like the LP, but I wish he didn't cut out dialogue and had music links. :smith:

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

There are plenty of video LPs where you get all the dialogue

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, the SOLDIER thing will kind of be covered whenever we get around to a certain sidequest. Which I really wish we would, so we can stop tapdancing around that spoiler. :v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

VagueRant posted:

I'm curious if that soldier was meant to be Cloud.

I think it is, since that's sort of an excuse for him to take his helmet off to get some air and show it during the last bit of the Lifestream stuff.

It would have been a nice touch if Cloud became motion sick again. "When I was in SOLDIER (read "completely delusional") I forgot about it." Now that he isn't, he should be.

But then again, maybe the delusion is still there, just on the periphery. I'll stop right there because that's getting into ending spoiler territory if I poke too deeply.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The conversation with Yuffie there is either a poor translation ("When I was with SOLDIER" makes more sense) or it was planned to have been triggered before this and programmed in, but the only time you can get to it is after Cloud's revelation. Like, maybe getting the Highwind happened before the Whirlwind Maze in an earlier draft, like Aeris having lines in Great Glacier.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

("When I was with SOLDIER" makes more sense)

Or "When I was a (lowercase) soldier.".

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
THERE AIN'T NO GETTIN' OFFA THIS TRAIN WE'RE ON! :dance:

Side quests!

Side Quests!

SIDE QUEEEEEESTS!

And now we reach the most fun part of the entire game, the mindless wandering and extra fun sections! Thanks for that mini-update Elentor, keeps me whistle wet.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm fairly certain it's a translation thing. Yuffie talks about the motion sickness before but Cloud can't comfort her because he can't admit his own weakness. Right here is the first spot that it makes sense plotwise for him to have this conversation.

I always thought it was a neat moment, because now that he's willing to acknowledge his own problems he actually becomes better at solving other peoples'.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
We are close to the end, but there should still be plenty of updates, right? I need at least another year out of this thread.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'd estimate around a quarter to a third more.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

simplefish posted:

Also, the whole Sephiroth Clone thing is confusing me. There were only twelve rejects? And the SOLDIER JENOVA cells thing has nothing to do with the Reunion? Except that the Reunion is all of the rejects from SOLDIER?

Am I missing something here?

It's not entirely clear (and there will be more about this later), but I think the difference between a SOLDIER and a Sephiroth clone is two things: first, they only let the strongest, coolest dudes into SOLDIER, and they're able to resist the mental effects of Jenova cells; secondly, the intended Sephiroth clones are given a lot more Jenova cell treatment than SOLDIERs are. That second bit isn't ever stated explicitly but I think it's implied.

Also there are more than twelve Sephiroth clones.

In any case I think it's pretty clear that the Sephiroth clones, which are subjects of Hojo's experimentation, and SOLDIERs, which are a standard part of the Shinra army, are entirely separate things, and perhaps they didn't think it through very clearly when they wrote this part.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Dauntasa posted:

Or "When I was a (lowercase) soldier.".

Actually this is pretty much what happened with translating the second line, it uses the kanji for 'soldier' which should be a giveaway that it doesn't mean SOLDIER. The first line is 'When I thought I was in SOLDIER, [...]', not sure what happened there unless they needed to cut the line for length or something.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Polsy posted:

Actually this is pretty much what happened with translating the second line, it uses the kanji for 'soldier' which should be a giveaway that it doesn't mean SOLDIER. The first line is 'When I thought I was in SOLDIER, [...]', not sure what happened there unless they needed to cut the line for length or something.

Two questions:
1) Does that mean you've read the Japanese script for this bit?
2) Did you start polsy.org.uk? I wouldn't usually ask but it's got a bee for a logo and is for LPs

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Booties posted:

We are close to the end, but there should still be plenty of updates, right? I need at least another year out of this thread.

I don't know how long it will last, but I have an idea of how many updates there will be. We will get at the very, very least to chapter 100, possibly to 110.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

simplefish posted:

Two questions:
1) Does that mean you've read the Japanese script for this bit?
2) Did you start polsy.org.uk? I wouldn't usually ask but it's got a bee for a logo and is for LPs

Yes (well, specifically, I looked up a video), and yes.

e: vvv ah, cool, nice to know it's unexpectedly useful

Polsy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 16, 2013

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Well in that case, I want to say thanks! I'm a teacher and I've used your site to show youtube videos in class without anything else being projected onto the board!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Booties posted:

It feels like we are close to the end but there are a few side quests and then a few other big things that happen that I always forget about. The ride isn't over yet, hold on to your butts!

Alaan
May 24, 2005

One of which(By our party makeup I suspect next update) is easily missable and kind of important and something I feel should have been a bit more blunt that it existed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alaan posted:

One of which(By our party makeup I suspect next update) is easily missable and kind of important and something I feel should have been a bit more blunt that it existed.

If it is the one I'm thinking of, I believe it wasn't even in the original Japanese version. It's completely bewildering that it wasn't but so it goes.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If it is the one I'm thinking of, I believe it wasn't even in the original Japanese version. It's completely bewildering that it wasn't but so it goes.
When it comes up, that is when Elentor shows it off, let us know because I cannot imagine other than one or two additions what it could be.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Huh, I always remembered Cloud's motion sickness advice coming before his coma. I thought it was a deliberate red flag, having him tell Yuffie that he used to get motion sickness when the Nibelheim flashback has him adamantly saying otherwise. Maybe they thought it was too obvious and shuffled it around.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
See, but it seems like he was still getting motion sickness when he was a soldier, because he was sick in the truck on the Nibelheim mission. I would think his line would make the most sense if he said "but I forgot about it when I thought I was in SOLDIER," since his delusion seems to have "cured" him of motion sickness. Apparently believing he was a total badass had him convincing himself that he wouldn't get sick, and so 'voila,' he didn't get sick anymore.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure Barrett screwed up his own catch phrase. I love this game sometimes. :allears:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 80 - Zephyr

Now that the winds finally blow in our favor, it's time for us to explore the world a bit with Cloud.

The first thing we have to do is go back to Mideel. The whole place is in ruins.

You'll be sucked into a reactor and drained dry. Your soul will become automobile fuel. It's a Lovecraftian nightmare.

Saying things aren't going great at Mideel would be a massive understatement.

Whatever you do, sis, don't invest in real estate.

:smith:

Remember her? It's the crazy chick who was buying off everything in the town.

Normally this would be prohibitively expensive, but thanks to the [All] Materia Fund, we're still pretty much rich, so yeah, gimme those.

Well, Doc. You sure look really glad to see me.

And I think that's it for now. Let's get out of this hellhole. We need to relax, but Gold Saucer was closed. Let's check it again.

Hell yeah.

No naysayers.

Alright, the place is open again. Awesome.

I believe there's something that must be done.

Costa Del Sol.

Sure, we have a gigantic airship, but last I checked we're still homeless vagrants.

I mean, yeah, we're very wealthy bums. But still bums. No more.

We need a place to chill, and this is the only place good enough.

Did I just say not to invest in real estate because the world is ending? Screw that noise. We're spending.

:smug:

We even have a basement-dweller of our own.

He claims to be the manager, but I'm pretty sure he's been farming mounts on World of Warcraft all day.

If I was a superhero who lived in a lovely apocalyptic world and owned this place I'd boldly say "This is MY villa" every time I went to my room too.

Yes, I am showing a useless screenshot of Cloud in his villa. Because I can. This is MY bathroom.

That's depressing.

Oh Johnny.

Johnny's an interesting contrast. He's the only one who got out of it well. He's got himself a girlfriend/wife, a nice place to live (how the hell did he do it anyway?).

Granted, I'm not sure how that qualifies as living on the edge, but what do I know?

And of course Tifa, Cloud and the others had to gently caress it up anyway. But don't worry, Johnny, we'll fix it.

"Sea breeze, sun and meteor" sounds like a good name for my next post trip-hop song.

Apparently, the sailor in that boat behind the red airplane has a line of dialogue which, due to obvious reasons, we can never see in-game. Not sure if I'd mentioned it before.

Oh, well.

We're not in a rush, so let's fly around a bit. There are some islands to the northeast that you don't normally get to see during normal playthrough.

In the corner of the world-map there's this round island, though. It has a very special trait - it doesn't show in the minimap.

There's also nowhere in it to land. The highwind cannot land in the forest, and it cannot land in the mountain either. Which means this cave is inaccessible via ship.

In fact, there's been other places we've seen before that are still not accessible. Remember this structure near Cosmo Canyon? The entire terrain here consists of dense forests, so we can't land in it either.

There's this peninsula to the east of the Wutai continent. It's blocked by the huge mountain and has no beaches, although we could see it before when we had the Tiny Bronco.

The Highwind can't land on the badlands terrain either, only on grass. So we still can't land there.

There's only one thing to do. Remember the Chocobo Sage?

He talked of a "Mountain Chocobo" who could cross mountains, and a "River Chocobo" who could cross rivers.

We still have no idea how to get to the round island, but the Mountain Chocobo could help us with the Wutai peninsula and the Cosmo Canyon cake, so that's a start.

The basic instructions. Great Chocobo + Good Chocobo + Carob Nut = Mountain (Green) Chocobo.

Now we just need to find out where to catch these Chocobos and we're gol...

...crap.

I'm sorry frumious wolf, we must kill you so the Chocobo Sage can remember stuff. Nothing personal.

Ok, what? Corel is not to the southeast. Maybe he means southeast of Corel? Maybe this place was originally designed to be found in the Corel continent? Who knows.

I'm so confused. Ok, I'll assume he meant southeast of Corel, surrounded by greenery, and west of Corel.

He doesn't remember any details though, so we go the south look for random encounters. Supposedly, a monster has it.

Luckily we find it in our first try. Vlakorados, we met him once when we were walking to Icicle Inn. This is one of the few monsters which [Sense] doesn't work, as he has over 30k health.

Nevertheless we do get a Carob Nut. I hunt some more of them o we can stay on the safe side in case things go wrong.

Okay, we have the nut now. What's next?

Now we have something to look forward to. And a lot of work. He doesn't explain how we get a River Chocobo especifically, so we'll have to assume it's the same way you get a Mountain Chocobo.

Let's get started. Remember when we did it back in CD 1, to cross the Midgar Zolom swamp? First, we equip the [Chocobo Lure]...

...hell, let's toss in an [Enemy Lure] as well, to make life easier.

Let's equip an appropriately-named [Choco Feather]. The extra Dexterity will help us getting priority in the battle, so to reduce the chance of the Chocobo running away.

Last but not least, greens. We buy some nice greens, only the best. We're rich.

And we're good to go. There's some Chocobo trails southeast of Corel surrounded by greenery, so let's start our hunt there!

Next time:

Chocobo Catching! Chocobo breeding! More Chocobos!

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 28, 2013

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah! Time to breed those chocobos:getin:.

I was always super intimidated by this quest when I was a kid, thinking it was too much of an investment time-wise. I think I finally did the entire sub-quest on my third playthrough; it was totally worth it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I buy the villa every time I play this even if it's useless. It just feels right.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I don't know why, but I absolutely adore any game that lets you buy your own base, fix it up, stuff like that. Animal Crossing was like some horrible drug for me for a while.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It's too bad you couldn't go to the furniture store like in Terranigma.

I'm so glad that I am reading about the chocobo quest instead of listening to the victory music at the races.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yay! I only had a small amount of time to explore with a chocobo before my dog ate my memory card so I'm looking forward to seeing all the nooks and crannies :)

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Final Fantasy 7: 50 hours of story and gameplay, 30 hours of chocobo breeding. On a few playthroughs, I basically decided "Yep, I'm done" once I got through the chocobo breeding.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Chocobo breeding. :smithicide: I could do this poo poo as a kid but now it's way too tedious to even attempt anymore.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Ah yes, the wonder that is Chocobo breeding. All the racing and the breeding and the racing again and then the breeding and then another bit of racing and dammit we need Chocobo steroids in the form of greens kos the stupid bird starts conking out near the finish and then more breeding. I swear it felt I spent more time breeding the perfect gold Chocobo than I did getting through the first disc of the game.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

To go back an update, Cloud states that he lied and deliberately took on the role of a SOLDIER even though he failed. That said, in the flashback where Tifa finds him in the train station he is pretty hosed up. I thought it was implied that he didn't really know he was wrong about himself, and was so goofed up that he actually was a SOLDIER or was Zack or something like that.
Seems a bit down on yourself to say you were lying when you were actually a broken person, but that would also validate his later comments to Yuffie because he had some memories of being a SOLDIER, even if they weren't quite right. I mean, he can certainly hit things with a sword like a SOLDIER, so does this come from a natural power or is this from thinking he is someone else, or from Sephiroth/Jenova?

Elentor posted:

Chapter 79 - Status Quo
So it isn't just the lifestream. The lifestream gives them a boost, but the key of the SOLDIER members is that they're all selling their souls to the devil to get their strength.
-----------
Cloud didn't "fail" at SOLDIER, he never had whatever he had to have to begin with, the strength to resist the influence of the Jenova cells.
-----------
The result of making a failed SOLDIER is what we saw - Jenova and Sephiroth had total control over him.

Also, I really love the interior design for the houses in this game. The Villa, in particular looks so comfortable and homey.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 17, 2013

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah, chocobo breeding. Boy am I glad that I was able to finish doing that just yesterday. It took forever and a half.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Elentor posted:

Yes, I am showing a useless screenshot of Cloud in his villa. Because I can. This is MY bathroom.
I don't know why but this loving cracked me up so hard. I only ever bought this villa once. Totally worth it.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Yeah! Time to breed those chocobos:getin:.

I was always super intimidated by this quest when I was a kid, thinking it was too much of an investment time-wise. I think I finally did the entire sub-quest on my third playthrough; it was totally worth it.

And this still remains my favourite ever picture of the Chocobo. Look at him. So determined.
I just love the li'l buggers :3:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I don't remember breeding chocobos at all when I played through. Looking forward to seeing all the tediousness (and I am sure awesome things) I missed out on. I played the crap out the sub game, but never bothered with the racing of the battle squares.

Edit: also while completely off topic, many many pages ago someone mentioned a skies of arcadia LP by Mr Vile. Was there a SA thread for this that someone can pm me the link to? I see it on the LP archive, but if there is a thread like this one, I would like to see it.

waah fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 17, 2013

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Chocobo Breeding can be done in about 10 minutes if you follow correct guides.

You know, ones that's like "now step outside and take TEN steps AND NO MORE, then walk back inside, use stall #3 ONLY if it's any day other than a Monday".

You don't even need to race them. Of course I didn't even know about places like Gamefaqs back then. Which is a good thing as doing it the over several weeks/months made it much more rewarding.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I can't believe I've missed that villa ownership. That's so... proper.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I always wondered if you could actually buy that villa. Now I know.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

I love the changes in the pilot's dialog as he levels up. He starts out screaming in terror, but look at him now!
So confident. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ak Gara posted:

Chocobo Breeding can be done in about 10 minutes if you follow correct guides.

You know, ones that's like "now step outside and take TEN steps AND NO MORE, then walk back inside, use stall #3 ONLY if it's any day other than a Monday".

You don't even need to race them. Of course I didn't even know about places like Gamefaqs back then. Which is a good thing as doing it the over several weeks/months made it much more rewarding.

Yeah, last time I played I think I didn't even race to get the first two special breeds. I only had to race to get the last special chocobo. Racing just increases the chance. Saves a lot of time if you get lucky.

There's also a cave south of Mideel that you can access with some careful airship landing. There is a patch of grass on a cliff that separates the cave from you. If you land just right, Cloud will pop out below the cliff, letting you explore the cave. Bonus is you don't get stuck, since the airship is forgiving on entering it. (I don't know if this is a spoiler?)

• Locked thread