Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Maybe the PC release version was different, but I remember FF8 taking you into the menus and SHOWING you junctions and how they increase your stats and poo poo, and explaining how GFs gain new junction abilities as they level up, so I never had any confusion whatsoever. Maybe they didn't do that on the console version for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Maybe they didn't do that on the console version for some reason?

No, they did it in the console version. I can't remember if it was skippable or not, but they definitely did that.

There's even an entire section of the menu available at any point that shows you how all that poo poo works and lets you replay the menu tutorials.

As far as in-game dialogue is concerned, yeah, they tried to make the junction mechanics mesh with the gameworld, but they would literally break the 4th wall to explain it to the player.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

zakharov posted:

I tried playing 9 recently, but the chocobo tracks on the world map are pretty much invisible on a modern high-res TV :(

Just play it on an emulator, there have been much worse HD remakes.

Also I'm not sure how I ever stood playing old JRPGs without savestates and a speedup button.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zakharov posted:

I tried playing 9 recently, but the chocobo tracks on the world map are pretty much invisible on a modern high-res TV :(

BioMe posted:

Just play it on an emulator, there have been much worse HD remakes.
I'm really surprised that they used the native resolution in the PSN versions when FF9's textures are designed to support ultra-sharpness. If you're using a PS2, you can crank up the read speed and use the double texture resolution setting I guess? It's still kinda lacking.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

The White Dragon posted:

I'm really surprised that they used the native resolution in the PSN versions when FF9's textures are designed to support ultra-sharpness. If you're using a PS2, you can crank up the read speed and use the double texture resolution setting I guess? It's still kinda lacking.

Has anyone ROMhacked FF9 to use those high-resolution original pre-rendered backgrounds someone discovered, instead of the downsampled PSX textures? Is that possible/feasible? Combined with running in a higher resolution to show off character model and texture detail, I think that's all FF9 would really need in an HD remake, except for maybe some UI adjustment for aspect ratio.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

General Specific posted:

Has anyone ROMhacked FF9 to use those high-resolution original pre-rendered backgrounds someone discovered, instead of the downsampled PSX textures? Is that possible/feasible? Combined with running in a higher resolution to show off character model and texture detail, I think that's all FF9 would really need in an HD remake, except for maybe some UI adjustment for aspect ratio.

IIRC, they were the actual background images from the artists' webpages, rather than extracted from the game data.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Pesky Splinter posted:

IIRC, they were the actual background images from the artists' webpages, rather than extracted from the game data.

I know; I was comparing it to FF7, where most/all of the original art was discarded completely, and probably not saved anywhere.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
9 is great because literally every menu has a dedicated "ask Mog about this" button.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

General Specific posted:

I know; I was comparing it to FF7, where most/all of the original art was discarded completely, and probably not saved anywhere.

Ah, sorry, I misread your post.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Maybe the PC release version was different, but I remember FF8 taking you into the menus and SHOWING you junctions and how they increase your stats and poo poo, and explaining how GFs gain new junction abilities as they level up, so I never had any confusion whatsoever. Maybe they didn't do that on the console version for some reason?

The reason I didn't know this when I first played ff8 was because I didn't know English. Got to the boss inn the seed exam and died because I only had attack and no junctions. Never really played it again because I played at a friends house.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

zakharov posted:

Do like me, play on your Vita.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

FF8's mechanics are so bizarre for a FInal Fantasy game. It's like the designers were trying to appeal to Saga fans or something when they came up with them. Also the barrel is not that bad and people are babies.

Every Final Fantasy game's mechanics are bizarre to some extent. That's their place in the JRPG continuum: FF games change like crazy from game to game and always try new and weird settings and mechanics, Dragon Warrior games change as little as possible in basically every facet.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Do like me, play on your Vita.
The Vita is great because I can play PS1 RPGs from the comfort of my bed and/or toilet.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Moltrey posted:

The Vita is great because I can play PS1 RPGs from the comfort of my bed and/or toilet.

I can do that with my PSP which sadly has seen better days. Its a 1000.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Fedule posted:

9 is great because literally every menu has a dedicated "ask Mog about this" button.
Seriously, it's not even like the characters telepathically know about it or anything, it's something YOU the watcher/player must see to understand how the game works because every other character knows this poo poo already.

FF9 has a very strange sense of using cutaways almost like a play does with its Active Time Events, which I really loved because the whole thing became almost theatrical in its sense of

"MEANWHILE

CLOSE IN ON A SCENE OUTSIDE A BAR IN LINDBLUM" and it would just be like some sort of weird almost-somewhat-related soliloquy it was awesome.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FinalGamer posted:

Seriously, it's not even like the characters telepathically know about it or anything, it's something YOU the watcher/player must see to understand how the game works because every other character knows this poo poo already.

FF9 has a very strange sense of using cutaways almost like a play does with its Active Time Events, which I really loved because the whole thing became almost theatrical in its sense of

"MEANWHILE

CLOSE IN ON A SCENE OUTSIDE A BAR IN LINDBLUM" and it would just be like some sort of weird almost-somewhat-related soliloquy it was awesome.

I think it's entirely possible that this game that begins and ends with a play and whose villain speaks 90% in stage metaphors might have several other theatrical influences!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

FinalGamer posted:

"MEANWHILE

FF9 is definitely going for the "play" vibe. I mean, the start of disc 3 with Eiko's love letter shenanigans is completely set up like a Shakespearean comedy, with characters constantly missing each as one exits stage left and the other enters stage right, with endless misunderstandings that still end up bringing characters together romantically...

Man, that section is handled fantastically.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Schwartzcough posted:

FF9 is definitely going for the "play" vibe. I mean, the start of disc 3 with Eiko's love letter shenanigans is completely set up like a Shakespearean comedy, with characters constantly missing each as one exits stage left and the other enters stage right, with endless misunderstandings that still end up bringing characters together romantically...

And neither character was who the notes were for.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Moltrey posted:

Having all of the final fantasies from 1 through x-2 including tactics is a pretty awesome thing. Suikoden and p3 / p4g are good too I guess.

Schwartzcough posted:

The whole game is really well set up in a referential sense. It's such a shame that it was overshadowed by so much else in the industry at the time (ps2 and FFX most obviously)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 101 - Jump Puzzles

Gorgeous as the backgrounds may be, this is one of those really experimental places that work better in theory than in practice.

I mean, some places are only meant for the Game Designer to have fun.

The theme of this place is carnivorous plants. We feed them frogs and insects so we can pass through them. This one here is an exception, we can just walk over it and get the item as long as we don't get too close to the center.

You get to battle some plants.

I don't know if this thing is cute, terrifying or overly-detailed.

Since I didn't remember jack of this place I decided to go blind and figure it out as I go. Notice the poor little insect down the bottom unaware I was trying to feed him to the plant.

You have a fixed amount of stuff to feed these plants per screen, so in this case you grab all the animals in the screen here and feed them to the plants in succession before they digest the little things and toss you out.

The place is an item pińata, although we don't have an use for most of them at this point.

I love these backgrounds.

Oh look, a materia! :v:

Yea, this one is a bit hungrier. We'll have to figure it out.

Time to hold some flower stamens. Let's just pretend they're vines.

Whee

This is one weird place to narrate with screenshots.

Here's something - We pick up that frog to the right...

Feed the frog to this plant. Because the frog is so big, the plant isn't able to digest it properly -

Eventually vomiting the frog and pushing me upwards.

We pick up the... rock? Bee hive? Whatever the hell that is up top and feed the plant.

And get the [Slash-All] Materia. Although the name seems incredibly intuitive (hits every single one of your enemies) this materia evolves to give you the [Flash] Command, which inflicts the Death ailment to all the enemies in the screen. Which is one of the most awkward things because a lot of enemies are immune to instant Death and Flash doesn't deal any damage, leaving you with either an incredibly good ability or a useless command that's replacing 4x-Cut.

Either way, we need it for, you know, completion.

Let's move on. Since the frog wasn't digested we can use it again to jump this plant.

I really would like to see this place in a full remake, with all those glorious godrays.

These are lots of elements in one screen.

This vine takes us upward, leading us closer to the canopy.

Another gorgeous background. There's a layer of flares/godrays in front of the background that moves as you go, making it really trippy.

We get our second and last [Minerva Band], which should be enough to cover your whole party unless you somehow managed to revive Aeris.

Back to the forest above we can go a bit to the right. There are two routes here, up and down. If we go up -

- after going completely Tarzan -

- we get the Typoon/Typhon summon materia, which for some reason isn't drawn as a materia on the ground. And without a doubt the strangest summon in the game/series.

If instead we go down we find ourselves on this conveniently placed vine.

This last puzzle here involves some backtracking. We feed an insect to the plant in order to get the Wasp Nest thingie, drop it on the plant and go back.

We toss an insect in front of the tree hollow attracting a frog.

And put the frog inside this rightmost plant which sends us flying to the exit.

This damp cave leads us right to the exit of the forest. Pressing the Square button anytime you're in the Ancient Forest sends you to the first screen, so it's easy to go back in case you've missed something.

The [Apocalypse] is the last important item to be acquired here.

It's a Triple-Growth weapon with three unlinked slots. There's only one other Triple-Growth weapon in the game, Cid's Scimitar.

There's also an Elixir in this room. This place has one of the strongest lighting tints in the game. Look how green Cloud is.

And we're out. We're now almost done with the side-quests!

NEXT TIME:

We may or may not be done with the side-quests.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Elentor posted:

Another gorgeous background. There's a layer of flares/godrays in front of the background that moves as you go, making it really trippy.

The voting is long since over, but I almost regret not pushing for this screen. It's a beautiful shot.

This area can be annoying as gently caress if you don't know what your doing. Only on my most recent play-throughs have I finally memorized the sequence to do it without a guide. For those of you who went through this area without using any sort of guide your first time, how long did it take to do?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

The voting is long since over, but I almost regret not pushing for this screen. It's a beautiful shot.

This area can be annoying as gently caress if you don't know what your doing. Only on my most recent play-throughs have I finally memorized the sequence to do it without a guide. For those of you who went through this area without using any sort of guide your first time, how long did it take to do?

forever.

I'm trying to think of a good timing/platforming based puzzle in an RPG like this and coming up short.

straight 8
Jan 9, 2007

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

When I played this as a child I was much too impatient (read: stupid) to figure it all out, as far as I can recall I was perfectly happy to leave without all the loot. All I know is that I scooped up slash-all.

It wasn't until I replayed a few years later and had the sense to go straight to gamefaqs.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I recall getting both the summon and the weapon when I played the first time without any guides on the place. Somehow.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I don't remember the first time, but I skipped this place in all but one of my playthroughs. It's been like 10 years+ I think since I've last visited it, so I went in pretty much blind for this run.

I know that's not the same as 100% blind, but it was very annoying and took me some time. I don't know how long it would have been if I wasn't doing an LP (because I keep backtracking and saving/loading to get screenshots) but it would probably be 30-40 minutes including the battles.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
drat. All I remembered of that place was the forest and the cave. You’d think carnivorous plants would stick in the mind more. :psyduck:

Well, and Slash-All. Got a lot of use out of that. :black101:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I think a slightly nifty thing about one of the enemies (the giant bird dudes) is that you can steal Wizard Bangles from them. Not that great, but hey armor farming.

I keep forgetting if the Spring Gun Clip is long range or not. I always thought Red XIII had a long-range clip for whatever reason. Is the Supershot another 255 accuracy gun for Vincent or just some random trash weapon (this game has a real habit of throwing tons of weapons at you either on top of another or long after they'd be relevant)?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I never used Slash-All very much when I played this. It comes a bit too late to be useful against groups of regular enemies, and most of the big fights in the second half of the game are against one-target bosses. Double Cut / Quad Cut is just more effective, I think.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
The forest is very strange in general. Rewards-wise it's on a very rough par with the Gelnika, but it's considerably harder to get to; fighting Ultimate to get there will put it after Midgar Raid, meaning most of its rewards are actually outdated pretty much, but getting to it with Chocobos means you'll have considerably nicer Materia than it drops as well. Overall it's just going to be the least rewarding of the major sidequests.

Although Apocalypse IS very nice.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Can't you just run through the plants, like they damage your HP but you progress?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
This dungeon would have been great without random encounters.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Wow, I have absolutely zero memories of this thing, and I still roughly recall everything else. Maybe I just rushed post-midgard? On the balance, that seems like the right decision.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The music in that place is the same as in several other dungeons, but it's always nice and atmospheric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti_iazvRLD4

Zeikier posted:

I keep forgetting if the Spring Gun Clip is long range or not. I always thought Red XIII had a long-range clip for whatever reason. Is the Supershot another 255 accuracy gun for Vincent or just some random trash weapon (this game has a real habit of throwing tons of weapons at you either on top of another or long after they'd be relevant)?

I'm fairly sure the Hairpin is Red XIII's only long range weapon. Spring Gun Clip's gimmick is that it gives a massive boost to Magic compared to his other weapons.

As for Vincent, Sniper CR and Longbarrel are the only 255% weapons he has, but Supershot is a solid weapon and one of the strongest in the game both attack- and magic-wise albeit with no materia growth. If you didn't find Death Penalty it's noticeably stronger than his other guns.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 21, 2015

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010
Pretty sure you can access this area as soon as you have a green chocobo, so how would the loot compare to earliest point available? Also, Typoon is a very strange summon that I am very curious to see if you can figure out a decent use for it.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

VagueRant posted:

Can't you just run through the plants, like they damage your HP but you progress?

Nope, they swallow you, chew on you a bit and then throw you back where you were.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Wow...I forgot how beautiful the Ancient Forest looked, one of my favourite things about FF7 is all the godrays of light and how it just tints everything to have either a sense of small hope like in Midgar to add colour to the dreariness, or a sense of reverence like in this place.

Schwartzcough posted:

Hahahaha poo poo I forgot about that part, that entire scene I KNOW for a fact is literally taken out from Twelfth Night more or less in its basis.

That really was handled beautifully, it was nice to have some camaraderie especially after the rather sudden tragedies at the end of disc 2.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

John Liver posted:

I never used Slash-All very much when I played this. It comes a bit too late to be useful against groups of regular enemies, and most of the big fights in the second half of the game are against one-target bosses. Double Cut / Quad Cut is just more effective, I think.

Slash-All and Apocalypse together is a really good way to grind materia, so for us dumb completionist idiots this place is a must.

Neither is useful at all for the rest of the game from this point, though.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
This update: UGH, the forest. I wonder how many players even entered the place, much less got all the treasures.

Last update: UGH, Ultima Weapon. If I remember correctly you have to bash it to make it actually land, so during my last playthrough I lost track of Ultima while it was flying around and the search lasted a solid 20 minutes. 20 minutes!! Meanwhile, the first time I played FFVI, I swear to God I accidentally ran into loving DoomGaze/DeathGaze within 10 seconds of acquiring the airship (and it killed me, forcing me to restart the boss right before it too). I was terrified of using the airship from that point forward, just waiting for it to happen again...

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Man with Hat posted:

Slash-All and Apocalypse together is a really good way to grind materia, so for us dumb completionist idiots this place is a must.

Neither is useful at all for the rest of the game from this point, though.

There's a better Slash-All later on that doesn't incidentally turn into the useless Flash command later on, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Flash has its uses, even if limited ones. It's great for grinding the enemies near Mideel. Still annoying that leveling the materia up restricts its functionality, though,

• Locked thread