Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
The moment we left Costa Del Sol is the moment we officially reached the worst part of Disc 1 and maybe the whole game. The next few places, "dungeons", and events are so goddamn boring and tedious. At least the Gold Saucer looks nice, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kiffkin posted:

dumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdum daaaaaaaaaaaah
whoosh
dumdum dah
dumdum dah
dumdumdumdumdumdumdumdum
toodleoodleoodleoodle
FITHO-

See, I didn't think of it when I clicked the link, mostly because I grew up around beaches that looked like that and poo poo, but I immediately synched the actual song to the poo poo you typed here in my head.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Hah, never saw Tifa's dialogue during the treasure scene before now. Red's was always the weirdest. He just makes a bunch of glug glug noises. I suppose because the chicks look like lunch but it's still very odd.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

How the hell does Hojo get lucky with all those women? It boggles the mind.

The dude is rich as hell AND a doctor. And judging from Dirge of Cerberus, a stone cold pimp.

Hojo fuckin' rules.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I always took the treasure from those drat chicks. Sure, I'll never need ten phoenix downs, but I'll never need a bunch of birds either.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I always took the treasure from those drat chicks. Sure, I'll never need ten phoenix downs, but I'll never need a bunch of birds either.

I always needed the Phoenix downs when I get to the place where the flyers don't reward as much as they should.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
I love fat Reno.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I never took the treasure because the birds are cute and the planet is dying Cloud. :(

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

When do they change clothes you ask? Every time you use a save point. Who knows how much time actually passes when you're saving the game :tinfoil:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Demicol posted:

When do they change clothes you ask? Every time you use a save point. Who knows how much time actually passes when you're saving the game :tinfoil:

I like to imagine Cloud and Barrett just lounge around in their boxers for a few days when you use an inn. Tifa watches TV while Aeris cuts really nasty beerfarts and giggles about it.

And the farts are epic, too, like her dress actually lifts up a bit. Yuffie would be more disgusted, but she's usually too busy rummaging through people's things on the sly.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Psion posted:

Well if it makes you feel any better I saw the photoshop now. :v:

I still don't see it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

pandaK posted:

I still don't see it.

Check the fireworks. I probably would've seen it had I remembered what the damned Gold Saucer looked like.

:/ It's been many, many years since I stopped playing around here, then tried to play and had no idea what the hell I was supposed to do.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I never took the treasure because the birds are cute and the planet is dying Cloud. :(

Those chicks already have their own down, what do they need a phoenix's for? Screw the birds.

Yomtom
Aug 9, 2005

Sup?
I like how when you first get to Costa De Sol all the characters are meandering about doing their thing. Tifa talks to Johnny, Barret trying on the sailor outfit, Red comments on how his tail has a mind of it's own to hit the soccer ball, and Yuffie is working at a dudes shop. Never found out what Aeries does though since she's always in my party.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Well considering I lived in Hawaii for nine years, no, a video a beach did not make me think of a video game.

Probably would have thought of Chrono Cross first, though.

Edit: Mount Adobe. Heh, I get jokes.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 24, 2011

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
I've only really noticed this and it's bugging me. After a battle, it shows you what items you can get, right? And I'm pretty sure you can move the cursor onto each of the items it shows, yet there's a "take everything" option, which you always use, but no option to take just one item or not take anything (which you'd never do anyway)

Why? :gonk: It seems like odd programming to give you a pointless choice like that.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Phoenix Taichou posted:

I've only really noticed this and it's bugging me. After a battle, it shows you what items you can get, right? And I'm pretty sure you can move the cursor onto each of the items it shows, yet there's a "take everything" option, which you always use, but no option to take just one item or not take anything (which you'd never do anyway)

Why? :gonk: It seems like odd programming to give you a pointless choice like that.

Doesn't it tell you the item description when you have an item selected? I think it's there so you can see what any new items do.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Probably just another translation stuff-up or what GS said above.

Loving the LP Elentor - I just played through FFVII PC for the second time (finished it once on PSX when it came out and once on PC about 5-6 years ago) and I'm surprisingly enjoying the LP a lot more than I thought I would considering it's all fresh in my mind. Cool to see you use the different characters too; I used Cloud, Red and Tifa in my last playthrough even though I was going to try to use Yuffie, CS or Cid since I've never used them much (even if they're cool enough characters).

HotAndColdAF
May 30, 2011

Making Daddy proud.

Elentor posted:

How did she know that? Did he surface from the ocean with huge GOLD SAUCER tickets on his hand?

Yes.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
Oh I get it now.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jojozinho posted:

Hey just dropping to say this is a great LP, love your style.

Kloro posted:

Seconded. The LP actually made buy FF7 on PSN and replay it for probably the first time in ten years. It's amazing how the graphics were amazing when it came out, crap five years later, and now have a weird retro charm to them.

PTizzle posted:

Probably just another translation stuff-up or what GS said above.

Loving the LP Elentor - I just played through FFVII PC for the second time (finished it once on PSX when it came out and once on PC about 5-6 years ago) and I'm surprisingly enjoying the LP a lot more than I thought I would considering it's all fresh in my mind. Cool to see you use the different characters too; I used Cloud, Red and Tifa in my last playthrough even though I was going to try to use Yuffie, CS or Cid since I've never used them much (even if they're cool enough characters).

Thanks guys, I'm really glad you guys are enjoying it.

Pesky Splinter posted:

But how could you resist that piercing gase, those abs and that deathly white skin?

Good Lord, what have you done :cry:

kiffkin posted:

click

dumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdumdum daaaaaaaaaaaah
whoosh
dumdum dah
dumdum dah
dumdumdumdumdumdumdumdum
toodleoodleoodleoodle
FITHO-

OH GOD drat IT :argh:

It's in a way very frustrating isn't it?

HotAndColdAF posted:

Yes.

This is loving fantastic. The worst thing is, it's the only logical explanation to what happened.

On semi-related news, I've also updated my Let's Dev thread if you guys want to take a look.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So a few days ago, I watched Advent Children Complete. I watched the vanilla release a few years ago and barely remembered a thing and now I know why: this movie is forgettable as gently caress. Some nice fight scenes, but nothing of actual substance happened.

Wait, one thing happened: The Turks were loving awesome and became my favorite characters in all of FF7. They're one of the few characters that survived the Great Characterization Purge of the Compilation.

And I don't remember much of vanilla AC as opposed to Complete, but I think I remember in the vanilla release, Sephiroth's hair looked much shittier.

Yeah, like that. Like he had just gotten out of the shower. They must have fixed up his model in Complete because it looks a lot more like his hair in the original game and I really appreciate that.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait, one thing happened: The Turks were loving awesome and became my favorite characters in all of FF7. They're one of the few characters that survived the Great Characterization Purge of the Compilation.
Reno turned into some comic relief guy in AC while he's a mass murderer in FF7 by destroying the support pillar.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't want to stop the bashing on FF7AC (it's always fun) but Reno's already a comic relief and light-hearted character in FF7, only not to the same extent. There's an upcoming scene that shows that well.

Which still doesn't make any sense given he's a mass-murderer and possibly the man with the highest frag count in the whole game. Or in the recorded history of the game world.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Wipfmetz posted:

Reno turned into some comic relief guy in AC while he's a mass murderer in FF7 by destroying the support pillar.

And Barret, who provides a good deal of comic relief for the hero side, committed mass murder by blowing up a reactor in the middle of a densely populated area. Granted, Reno killed more, but that doesn't mean Barret should get a free ride.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

And Barret, who provides a good deal of comic relief for the hero side, committed mass murder by blowing up a reactor in the middle of a densely populated area. Granted, Reno killed more, but that doesn't mean Barret should get a free ride.
I'm sure he didn't mean it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

He did it for the environment, all is forgiven. :smug:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

John Luebke posted:

The moment we left Costa Del Sol is the moment we officially reached the worst part of Disc 1 and maybe the whole game. The next few places, "dungeons", and events are so goddamn boring and tedious. At least the Gold Saucer looks nice, I guess.

I disagree. On the second or third playthrough in quick succession, perhaps, but I always enjoy this part of the game after having not played the game for a year or two.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Uhhh the Earth was dying man. When the Earth is dying, you have one option: destroy things and kill people.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

John Luebke posted:

I pretty much love the atmosphere of every single town on this continent. The weakest one would be the one right after the Corel/Saucer duo though, I'll give you that.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.

Concordat posted:

Well considering I lived in Hawaii for nine years, no, a video a beach did not make me think of a video game.

Probably would have thought of Chrono Cross first, though.

Edit: Mount Adobe. Heh, I get jokes.

A friend gave me Chrono Cross recently so I just started playing it. Watching that beach scene made my jaw drop. I'm shocked to just now learn that Square used the clip of waves crashing on the beach in both games. All they changed was the islands out in the distance vs empty horizon, change the zoom (Chrono Cross is closer to the water), and change the color over the scene.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 30 - VEGAS, BABE!

We're about to begin a fascinating journey to discover why is Barret so loving insane.

Obviously by fascinating I mean boring. I sincerely think this is the boringest part of the game.

But it's worth getting through it because as soon as we do we're off to Gold Saucer, FF7's version of a Mall.

Ah, Corel. Look at how happy these Legos are.

So here's the deal - Shinra wanted to build a Reactor in Corel. Corel's main form of economy and energy was coal. Of course, this didn't suit very well and this fella named Dyne was against it.

In a surprising reversal of roles, Barret is actually being progressist and defending Mako against coal. Notice how he has two arms.

And Scarlet is being Scarlet.

Yes, at some point Barret was a responsible husband. He also doesn't sound so utterly stupid as he is nowadays, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes Dyne. If we say no they're gonna invade and burn everything.

Oh.

They did it anyway.

The more I think about it, the more Barret sounds like a comic book villain.

Just imagine Barret brooding with a green or blue light coming from behind going all "I will destroy them myself... with the tools they gave me."

You know, I never got the bolding in comic book text. It always seems to me like they're bolding the least interesting or important words in the sentence.

"They think I destroyed a Reactor... then so be it. That's how I will exact my... vengeance."

Oh yes.

Shut up Barret we don't care.

Thank you Yuffie.

Ohh yess.

We're going to the Sugarloaf Pão de Açúcar.

Just kidding, we're still going to Gold Saucer. Gold Saucer is the craziest looking place in the game.

It's like this massive Theme Park/Mall that resembles a giant tree with mushrooms growing out of their branches.

It's a place where magic happens and it's fun for the whole family.

Ages 8-80.

Gold Saucer also has a drat cheerful music, mind that. It's very good and suits the place perfectly.

I'd pay a lot to visit a place like this.

And I would have to. Because this place is loving EXPENSIVE. You have to pay for everything.

:suicide:

Sadly we don't have money to buy the lifetime pass, but that's not a big deal. We only need the single pass for now.

Gold Saucer has its own currency. You can play minigames (which cost Gil to play) to make GP, then spend GP on stuff, like that Save Point.

Yeah screw you Barret. We're gonna have fun whether you want it or not.

She was trying to help him, how is that harsh

I love the dynamics between the characters. How Aeris acts like she can handle anything.

But seriously, Barret freaking out is just too loving funny.

With that Barret leaves by jumping into the rainbow-colored hole. I'm sure there's a lot of horrible metaphors we can make out of this, but it's also time to explain how Gold Saucer works.

There are 7 areas in Gold Saucer. We're gonna explore every single one of them.

Basically each area is a Saucer, and when you jump into one of these holes I would imagine that you travel inside one of the branches toward the destination. You can go anywhere from any of the 7 Saucers, so transportation is pretty good.

The first Square we go to is the Event Square. Unfortunately there's nothing happening at the moment. Think of it like a theatre.

Next we go to the Speed Square, where we're stopped yet again by a big Macho.

:ughh:

The great thing about JRPGs is that the plot comes to you.

Of course we can guess who the "boy" is, right? The question is:

What the gently caress is wrong with Sephiroth?

First, he walks out of the ocean with Gold tickets. Second, he stops by a Theme Park to ask shirtless dudes about a Black Materia.

We also need to find out what the hell is it with the tattoos.

Ever since I watched Game of Thrones, I imagine this guy speaking like Syrio Forel, boy.

The Speed Square is an On-Rails minigame. It's actually quite fun but it's frustratingly hard, and mostly a game of memorization as the Johnny look-alike here is saying.

Unfortunately we don't have 10 GP. Something that needs to be addressed.
Let's go to the Wonder Square.

Oh, no.

Oooh, no.

Jessie: Sir, we're detecting an anomaly.

Jessie: I don't think I can hold it much longer, sir.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT CLOUD HOW CAN YOU BE SO STUPID

IT'S HOCUM

God drat it.

This is the only appropriate response for a cat with a crown sitting on a toy Moggle.

:cry: :cry:

HOW CAN LOSING SOMETHING DEAR BE GOOD.

How does it even work anyway? What IS THIS THING?

Wait this doesn't make any sense what the hell

Yes Cloud listen to her.

And with that, he joins the party. Don't ask.

Next Time:

More Squares! Less Enyx! poo poo gets real! Yuffie is still the character saying what we think out loud.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 27, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Cait Sith is the Niccolo of FFVII. Just so.

(he has my favorite menu portrait though)

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Some good dialogue in this chapter. Yuffie is right about Barret trusting Shinra, but it wasn't solely his fault since the whole village agreed to work with them except Dyne.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Adus posted:

Some good dialogue in this chapter. Yuffie is right about Barret trusting Shinra, but it wasn't solely his fault since the whole village agreed to work with them except Dyne.

Yeah, that always bugged me. I can buy Barret beating himself up for endorsing Shinra and blaming himself for the town's destruction- by why the gently caress does EVERYONE in Corel act like it's all his fault, when the only person opposed to the reactor was Dyne?

I also enjoy how Barret knows Shinra will retaliate with indiscriminate mass murder to acts of terrorism, so he immediately starts blowing up reactors. I guess his home town getting burned down wasn't enough, and he felt the need to goad Shinra to kill everyone in Midgar.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I want to imagine Sephiroth making his way to the Golden Saucer like this:

Just to add the the sheer WTF factor or the Golden Saucer.
Source:http://ffchaoticcosmos.livejournal.com/416019.html

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 27, 2011

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I love how Cait Sith forces himself into Cloud('s Party), and Cloud can't reject him because it's a loving game mechanic.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Sephiroth is more like a cheerfully omnicidal Charlie Bucket who loves his mother than a brooding killing machine with delusions of grandeur.

Guy takes a cruise, goes for a swim, hangs out on the beach, then goes to a theme park.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Why does he have Kefka's Dissidia walk animation :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Toff
Oct 21, 2010

*ahem*

I do beg your pardon.
That gif with Requiem for a Dream still playing works strangly well...

• Locked thread