Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

eating only apples posted:

:stare: How did you swap your materia between party members without it?

And... how long did it take you? :v:

I removed it from one, and put it on the other. It only became problematic when I had tons of materia to shift through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Medieval Medic posted:

I removed it from one, and put it on the other. It only became problematic when I had tons of materia to shift through.

Which obviously won't work unless you can swap characters (save point or world map usually), while the exchange menu is always available.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

a spooky ghost posted:

Doesn't the game either explain this, or force you to use it at the end of Shinra HQ? When the team splits up to fight Rufus and the robot in the elevator?

No, it gives you the option in a dialogue box to swap materia around, but it never tells you about this feature in the menu.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I like this section because I would switch to the strongest weapons I had that had zilch materia growth. It was a nice change of pace.

Also, looking at all this, even if people complain about this game, it has very good character moments like the Turks and the Godo/Yuffie scuffle. That post about how which of the two groups are more evil makes me really enjoy the conflicts like that that are set up in this game. Too bad it's kind of invalidated with someone as unambiguously evil and typical as Sephiroth as the main threat. :\

Also, I love moments like this in the game, because I try to bring different party members to see each of their reactions. Needless to say, Cid is priceless.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I knew about the Exchange materia screen but did not know this:

fezball posted:

To swap entire matria sets between characters just select the Character names. Doing so also swaps Accessories if I remember it right. You can also select armor/weapon slots to swap only a single row of materia at once.

I mostly did them one at a time from the exchange screen.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
While the feature is immensely useful, it also contributed to the "characters are coat racks" complaint that sometimes get leveled against VII. Since once you know how to do it, it takes literally seconds to swap your entire materia loadout from one team to a totally different team.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Zeikier posted:

I like this section because I would switch to the strongest weapons I had that had zilch materia growth. It was a nice change of pace.
This is definitely one place where the Nail Bat and Umbrella shine. No materia, huh? Guess Aeris is just gonna have to run you bitches through with a parasol.

Schwartzcough posted:

While the feature is immensely useful, it also contributed to the "characters are coat racks" complaint that sometimes get leveled against VII. Since once you know how to do it, it takes literally seconds to swap your entire materia loadout from one team to a totally different team.
At least it's not VIII, where you could literally swap everything about a character's junctions with a single menu command.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Vil posted:

It took me quite a few playthroughs to discover it myself. I feel your pain. Before that, it was a matter of removing all the materia from one person on the normal materia equipping screen, then reassigning them all back again on the other person.

Of additional note is the fact that on this screen, you can (e: if I'm remembering right, which I might not be):

- Move one materia at a time by selecting an individual materia slot.
- Move an item's (weapon/armor) materia setup to a different item by moving to the left and selecting "Wpn." or "Arm."
- Move a character's *entire* materia setup to a different character by moving to the left and then up to the character name.

It's been so many years though, that I forget what exactly happens when trying to move materia en masse (by item or by character) when there isn't a destination materia slot for something to go. (Example: Yuffie hadn't stolen our materia, Vincent's eight slots are full, and we try to move those en masse to Cait Sith who only has seven slots.)

It probably just unequips that particular materia, with or without a warning, but I forget the exact details.

You have to be making GBS threads me. I've been playing this game since it came out and I never knew you could do it that way.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Azure_Horizon posted:

No, it gives you the option in a dialogue box to swap materia around, but it never tells you about this feature in the menu.

If I remember right Cloud actually DOES mention it in either the initial material tutorial or one of the two in the newbie/advanced hall. But it's pretty poorly worded so I can understand why so many people missed it

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Elentor, I've just finished marathoning this lp and I gotta say you do a fantastic job.

I never actually got any further then the kalm flashback when I played this game back in the day, so I bought into the advent children characterizations. Seeing what the characters were actually like was a real eye opener, I actually really like this game now instead of thinking it's the worst. I even started playing myself.

How exactly did that happen, anyway? Did all the fanfiction writers just deliberately ignore 90% of how the characters act and square went "welp, better pander to these enjoyable human beings!!"

Am I the only one that thinks the graphics actually look good in their own way? I feel like if they ever do make that remake it would look worse.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 7, 2012

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

darealkooky posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the graphics actually look good in their own way? I feel like if they ever do make that remake it would look worse.
It's the pre-rendered backgrounds. They're vivid, smooth, and full of detail in a way that's really difficult to pull off in real-time 3D models.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

darealkooky posted:

Well, as Elentor has pointed out a lot the art design for the game is really good. It's basically the best example of early PS1 pre-rendered graphics, and most of the combat graphics still look pretty good.

The main reason a remake would look worse goes without saying: Nomura would retrofit the aesthetic to suit his current sensibilities.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

George posted:

Well, as Elentor has pointed out a lot the art design for the game is really good. It's basically the best example of early PS1 pre-rendered graphics, and most of the combat graphics still look pretty good.

The main reason a remake would look worse goes without saying: Nomura would retrofit the aesthetic to suit his current sensibilities.

Was Nomura still in charge of character designs for Advent Children? Because, for all that movie's faults, the character designs weren't the hodge-podge of pointless belts and zippers we tend to associate with him, and I'd say most of them worked pretty well, especially Tifa's. Tifa and Aerith's original outfits are probably a large part of why the EU impression of the two is reversed from their actual characterization, and Tifa's AC outfit does a good job of making her look more reserved while still looking good in a fight.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leavemywife posted:

I never knew about that conversation between Yuffie and her father. That was actually pretty neat.

On a side-note, I started a new run of FF7 after lurking in this thread from the beginning, and I think it was here that someone suggested renaming all of the characters Sephiroth. It seemed like a fabulous idea at the time and was amusing for about four hours, but I'm on disc 2 now and it is more of a case of "Why was this funny? :suicide:"

Yea, and there were people actually suggesting it :smith:

KariOhki posted:

This is where my farthest playthrough of FF7 ended, since I was so underleveled and unprepared I wasn't able to survive the encounters to even get to Wutai after my materia was stolen.

Yes, like I said, these encounters are brutal.

darealkooky posted:

Elentor, I've just finished marathoning this lp and I gotta say you do a fantastic job.

I never actually got any further then the kalm flashback when I played this game back in the day, so I bought into the advent children characterizations. Seeing what the characters were actually like was a real eye opener, I actually really like this game now instead of thinking it's the worst. I even started playing myself.

How exactly did that happen, anyway? Did all the fanfiction writers just deliberately ignore 90% of how the characters act and square went "welp, better pander to these enjoyable human beings!!"

Glad you're enjoying. Yes, there's a reason why FF7 was such an acclaimed game when it was released and "overrated" some years later. Most people completely missed the point or ignored what made the game good (hint: Not Sephiroth).

The graphics look good because the art direction is good. It's simple like that. If there's a remake and the art direction is good, then the game will look good. If not, then it won't.

Trasson posted:

Elentor, was it intentional that you got enough Materia in order to be left with one left, or did it just happen? Because you need an asston of Materia in order for Yuffie to not steal it all.

It was something I saw coming, but didn't plan thoroughly. I knew that the amount of materias she steal is around the same amount you have available throughout the entire game up until now, so I all I did was buy one of each materia every time we found a new shop. Not a single materia was mastered.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Oh, yeah, I never did that, that would have involved actually spending gil on Mystify and Heal.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Dr. Dos posted:

What happens if you go to Wutai without Yuffie in your party? Or what happens if you don't pick her up until Disc 3? Do you just 1-shot the boss by being so overleveled?

I went to Wutai straight out of Rocket Town without having Yuffie in the party and wasn't able to do much there. I then picked her up in the forest outside the Temple of the Ancients and was never able to get the materia theft quest to trigger. There's a few other things you can do in Wutai with Yuffie, but 90% of the town's content seems prone to just failing to appear.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
I'm going to second the opinion of this sidequest is why I hated Yuffie and never used her again afterwords.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It kind of helps to bring Barrett and Vincent along here, since they can both attack from the back row. It doesn't help MUCH, but when the enemies can pound you so easily every little bit helps. I can't bring myself to dislike Yuffie despite this section (especially since any first-time rage has been forgotten, and I knew what to expect every time after that).

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 44 - Smoke and Mirrors

MUST GET MATERIA BACK.

The only correct thing to say.

I love these reactions, because you can always ask yourself - wait, it doesn't make sense that these guys dress SO weird and randomly when everyone else is wearing normal clothes.

Guess what - it really doesn't make sense at all, and everyone in-game finds that as puzzling as you!

They did mention something about "the one who came here" a minute ago. Hmm.

Oh.

GOTCHA.

Of course she just runs away.

Poetry.

This is one of the most amusing parts of the chase. You can't see in this screen because I amazingly took all the wrong screenshots of it and can't do an animated gif, but that huge vase is shaking, something that wasn't happening before.

There ain't no running away now, dawg.

Here's a mini-game. Press the button to punch the vase. Repeat. Seriously.

They're quick, but I'm much faster.

"I shouldn't have tried to steal from a bunch of psychos. I mean for gently caress's sake, dude's got a gun attached to his arm, what the hell was I thinking?"

"And this girl here exorcises spirits out of their existence by bashing with an umbrella on their faces, of course I was wrong."

As we leave, two Shinra soldiers come running from the north and enter the Inn. Of course. This was just too easy.

OH poo poo. WHO IS HE?

Did Sephiroth come here for vacation? I mean, we DO know he likes to go to Gold Saucer and show his ticket to random people at the beach.

poo poo Sephiroth is here.

"Looking at you is making me sober" is such a great quote I don't even know what to say. The Turks really shine in Wutai.

We're so hosed.

I mean, seriously. They're so classy I almost forget how easy it is to beat them.

Well we can't do anything about it without our materia, right? Let's get back to it.

As good as Yuffie is in hiding the materia, she is pretty terrible at hiding from us.

But more important than the materia is this. The sixth flyer of Turtle's Paradise.

At long, we will be able to recover what is ours by right. For too long we've looked for these flyers. No more.

You might have been wondering...

...why didn't I golden the awesome things the Turks were saying?

But really

I just lose it when Cloud says this. It's so hilariously cold. I DON'T CARE.

Oh boy here we go. Do we pull the Left lever as she says, or the right one? Is she lying? Is she saying the truth?

Of course you saw it coming. It doesn't matter which lever you pull. The event is rigged - you're gonna lose it either way.

If you pull the right one, Yuffie is gonna be snarky about you not listening.

Of course, she does the same if you pull the left one. Either way, we're screwed.

:facepalm:

Time for the translation squad to find out what the original pun was.

This is the house directly below Yuffie's. Someone is a little way too much into cats.

We're back to the beginning.

Searching the town won't yield anything this time, so we're gonna look at the Pagoda again.

This is strangely intuitive. Something about bells needing to be rang. Ringing the bell opens a secret passage on the wall below.

Wait What nooo our materia.

There's dramatic music playing here. Tension.

It's been a long time, Sephiroth. We didn't expect to meet you here, of all places. Today we shall settle the score.

Wait, what

The music change is pretty hilarious to say the least.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

I love Cloud's surprise. Not one, but two? Treachery!

Well this is awkward.

Right now I'm itching to open these chests though.

We get a [Swift Bolt] (Lightning3-All) and an Elixir. I'm really feeling a lot underleveled now that the items suggest we should be getting the third rank of our starting materias.

This whole sequence reeks of 60's cartoons.

These random encounters are not entirely trivial. Some people pointed that lacking materia at this place can really be nasty. In fact, I do find some of the random encounters here (like these soldiers) tougher than 90% of the bosses we've seen so far.

They love inflicting Darkness and Sleep. While that is easily fixed with the proper accessories, it's very unlikely you'll be protecting everyone from it. I use some damage items on them to make things move faster.

Exiting this place gets us back to Godo's house.

Which we might as well explore a bit.

To the bottom there's an obvious secret passage.

Which gives us the Hairpin.

The Hairpin is a Red XIII's weapon. It's still inferior to the Seraph Comb's and has no materia slots, but unlike his other weapons it's Long Range.

The entrance of Godo's house. This is one nice place.

To the left of this room is another "secret passage".

Which yields a weapon for Yuffie.

The [Magic Shuriken] is a fairly strong weapon, with 64 Damage and a hidden +10 Dex. It's not as strong as the [Superball] but it has some materia slots, which the later doesn't.

It's amusing that the game puts us and our enemies in the same situation.

So we're gonna do a gentleman's agreement for now.

Truly a gentleman.

Sounds great to me.

To the [TEMPLE OF ANCIENTS].

[TEMPLE OF ANCIENTS].

Just joking. We're going to the Da-Chao's statue, Wutai's monument. And that's it for today, folks!

Next time:

An unexpected alliance! A Boss Fight! The Final Confrontation with Corneo! (Or is it?)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Isn't Yuffie a missable character that some people didn't even get on their playthrough?
This is a substantial portion of the game, what happens if you didn't pick up Yuffie?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
I forgot how many great lines Wutai had. :allears:

Also: just look at that rendering of Da-Chao in the background of the last picture. FFVII's art direction is truly superb.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Isn't Yuffie a missable character that some people didn't even get on their playthrough?
This is a substantial portion of the game, what happens if you didn't pick up Yuffie?

The place remains, the side-quest doesn't, but you can pick her up later.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yuffie gives a sob story and Cloud returns with a hearty "look at all the fucks I give"

I wonder how much better FFXIII would have been if every long speech about a character's Problems was met the same way.

vgperson
Oct 29, 2008

ユフィ posted:

「マテリア取りかえしたかったら自分たちでさがしてみれば?」
「そう、マテリアを見つけるにはカネにものを言わせなきゃ」
「エヘヘ……カネだよ、カネ。わっかるー?」

"If you want your materia back, why not look for it yourselves?
Yeah, you heard me. And when you wanna find materia, it's [kane] that you gotta depend on!
Heheh... Yeah, [kane], [kane]! Get it?"

"Kane" can be read as both "money" and "bell." Welp.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

vgperson posted:

"If you want your materia back, why not look for it yourselves?
Yeah, you heard me. And when you wanna find materia, it's [kane] that you gotta depend on!
Heheh... Yeah, [kane], [kane]! Get it?"

"Kane" can be read as both "money" and "bell." Welp.

Oh, it was supposed to be a hint as to where to go next? poo poo. Bells are made of bronze, or brass, or something like that. I always thought it was a bit terrible that you randomly have to ring this bell with no hint about it.

I thought the "steel" thing was some sort of weak pun about the cage being made of steel.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

John Luebke posted:

And I had no idea that it was actually missable, I always assumed it was one of the required steps to proceed with her sidequest.

As did I.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

For my initial equipment game I didn't recruit Yuffie until I got to Wutai to buy Swift Bolts and Fire Plumes first. Then I got her then did the sidequest, mostly for Absorb MP.

Comet2 or Ultima deal enough damage that Absorb MP recovers more MP than they cost. Random encounters didn't stand a chance.

That's Our OFS! Breakin' games and takin' names! :black101:

Elentor posted:

Glad you're enjoying. Yes, there's a reason why FF7 was such an acclaimed game when it was released and "overrated" some years later. Most people completely missed the point or ignored what made the game good (hint: Not Sephiroth).

I've had a love/hate relationship with this game. It was my first PSX game, and I loved it. Years later, when I had reliable access to the internet, I came to hate it, then downgraded to feeling it was overrated.

But your LP has breathed new life into the game for me, and I'm remembering why I originally loved it. Who cares what the internet thinks? It's a pretty swell game. :)

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~

Oxxidation posted:

Yuffie gives a sob story and Cloud returns with a hearty "look at all the fucks I give"

Even though I haven't played this in forever I started chuckling when I knew that was coming up. I always loved that, gently caress Yuffie.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
The Turks are my favorite part of this game, and the way they behave in Wutai is why.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Elentor posted:

Yea, and there were people actually suggesting it :smith:

It makes certain conversations really confusing, especially if you're just mashing X to get through the dialog like I have been. Though, I am still amused by Sephiroth killing Sephiroth, as were a lot of my friends.

Before doing this run, I did one of FF4 where I renamed everyone Golbez. That was funny, too, until about half-way through the game. Thank God you can change names in that game up until the very end.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SHE'S SIXTEEN YOU CREEP! It's bad enough he pervs on Tifa and Aeris, but at least they're in their 20's! Yuffie can't even vote! :gonk:

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
It didn't click until now that Wutai (as if the Asian motif didn't give it away) is a thinly-veiled reference for Japan and its attitudes about losing WW2. Reading that dialogue between Yuffie and Godo made it pretty clear for me.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Pretty sure this isn't a spoiler, but tagging it just to be safe (it is, at worst, an extremely minor spoiler regarding Wutai's place in the story). As I recall, Wutai is an entirely optional area. You don't need to go there for the main story at all.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

SHE'S SIXTEEN YOU CREEP! It's bad enough he pervs on Tifa and Aeris, but at least they're in their 20's! Yuffie can't even vote! :gonk:

She's a-okay in Europe :smug:

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Even moreso in Japan, as I recall. Having said that, him being a creep is hardly a surprise...

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I think that Corneo isn't really good at this whole chick-napping thing.

In his mind it probably runs like...
Step 1: Get chick
Step 2: Bring her back with me
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Finally lose virginity

He doesn't even think about the girl's relations or that he might have to feed them. Also the fact that it hasn't worked out once yet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Brainamp posted:

Phase 1: Get chick and bring her back with me
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit

Fixed that for you.

I'm rather surprised that so many of you are having your minds blown by the Exchange menu. I found that pretty early and never thought it was that amazing.

Cloud has no fucks to give and it is glorious. Why did Square make him into such a whiner?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Brainamp posted:

He doesn't even think about the girl's relations or that he might have to feed them. Also the fact that it hasn't worked out once yet.

I dunno, he was quick enough to sidestep boogie away from the Shinra soldiers.

I really like that even though Wutai is optional, there was so much stuff you did there that also contributed to character growth. That's the best kind of optional content.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
Has there been an optional character in any Final Fantasy since seven? It was kind of a neat bonus, but it seems they shied away from that later on.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an important question for you guys:

What was your favorite update, and why?

Or, in lieu of that (or you can answer both):

What aspects of the LP do you enjoy?

I try to keep things informative, sometimes do whacky editing, etc. Some updates are straightforward either because of the pacing of the writing or because there's nothing too exciting going on.

Thought this would be a nice time to ask for feedback on this. You know, 44 Chapters in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Christmas Jones posted:

Has there been an optional character in any Final Fantasy since seven? It was kind of a neat bonus, but it seems they shied away from that later on.

Heavier reliance on pre-rendered cutscenes makes optional characters problematic, since you'd need to have entirely separate ones for all possible permutations of optional characters, which is a big increase in demand for development resources.

Instead they give you all the characters but make some of them so useless you might as well have missed them (looking at you, Kimahri).

• Locked thread