Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I've never played Megaman... despite being of the right age in the right era. If there was something I missed, then sorry. I appreciate the effort in the LP as a whole, and that includes separating out boss fights. There are two games I'm thinking about LPing but it just seems like such a monumentous task that I haven't got round to it because I know I might not finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
nm I'm a retard

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 14, 2013

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Numbers posted:

Are the cards more work than the Megaman style stuff in this update?

I was referring to the last chapter. There's some trial-and-error, whenever I try something new or a new gimmick... I go through the whole "art direction research" process, which in this case involved analyzing old megaman games and try to replicate the style. Like in the boss images imitating the stage intros, instead of white stars in the background I went with green sparkles like the ones in the FF7 intro, etc.

The cards take a shitload of work too because I hand-draw the bosses. It doesn't bother me much and it's quite relaxing but it takes some time.

Nothing beats the work that went into Chapter 50 though. I dusted some of my own now 10-15 years old magazines, analyzed about 20 of them, read their articles to get their "feel". Dusted some of my notes from my design/layout classes.

It took some weeks to pull it off but I got so happy at the result.

simplefish posted:

I've never played Megaman... despite being of the right age in the right era. If there was something I missed, then sorry. I appreciate the effort in the LP as a whole, and that includes separating out boss fights. There are two games I'm thinking about LPing but it just seems like such a monumentous task that I haven't got round to it because I know I might not finish.

No worries. I try to fill my LP with references but most of them are non-intrusive. Sometimes I just have an idea in my head of something that would be fun and I have to do it.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 14, 2013

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I can totally believe that. Chapter 50 was a masterpiece.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I actually thought Chapter 50 was scanned from a real magazine of the era when I first read it. It was incredible.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Out of my entire life playing and replaying this game, I never knew you could fight the commanders in the fort condor battles.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
There are at least 5 faces in the reactor alone :stare:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Did...did you not get the reference the update made?

I thought the whole idea was fantastic.

I'll just be honest, I've never played a Megaman. Elentor, this LP rules and I didn't intend to demean your work in any way. Sorry if it came off that way.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Last time, which was a tiny 5-shot update of running from a forced encounter, that happened! Before that was CLOUD losing his loving mind multiple times. It's been half a year since a full update, and I got antsy.

"They are huge shitheads" THANX 4 DA INFO ICE T

So we land by Kalm and grind Ethers again.

Nah I'm kidding, I won't need to do that again. We're going to Mideel to progress.

So I finally use Chekov's Greens, only learning long after (these screenshots by the timestamps are from last June :psyduck:) the white chocobo isn't picky.

Contain will be my best friend. Freeze is single-target, which will be very relevant soon. That and it hits as hard as Right Arms without requiring I go to some hole in the rear end-end of nowhere to get more.

It also has great status procs with Added Effect, though I never really get to use those.

So after a brief break CLOUD is already back.

Nah he's wheelchair-bound and likely to get probated 100 times.

Will anyone else get this...?

So Taft buggers off to be with CLOUD. We're down to 4 members now.

"poo poo man they're gonna shoot some rocks into the moon or something cmon barrel we gotta save that ice man"

Congrats Clispaeth! You're leading the Jickleburgian rebels!

Welp! So much for that!

So we sort of browbeat him into it anyway. And we leave the doll on the ship.

Without CLOUD or Taft, we're sort of liberated. See, they're not even in the PHS, and they don't gain EXP at all.

This means I can gain EXP without having to flatten Taft. She'll be preserved at level 7.

So we go back to Kalm for

Nah, we're going to Corel. I steal from Bombs along the way but I don't look for fights. I've got more than enough arms.

A forced encounter, yes.

Murder two guys with Aqualung.

Murder the enemy with Aqualung. 600 EXP, 20 AP, a waste of my drat time. And to think we're not close to done with Attack Squads. :shepicide:

But we were too late, the train is escaping with the Materia!

Luckily Clispaeth is on the case!

We've got plenty of time to catch up to them too!

Plenty of time.

Wait poo poo

oh no :cry:

See, to stop the train means to fight guys like Wolfmeister and Eagle Gun. They give EXP. Quite a lot. A total of 13500 for the whole train, in fact, if I'm counting right. Wolfmeister gives 10k by himself actually. Sadly to preserve our pitiful levels Barrel has to let this town die. Again.

Incidentally, the this team's levels are 18/19/17. Elentor's team is around 53, if you want an idea of how low my levels are.

Not one to let failure deter them, the gold saucer kids club go to gently caress up somewhere else.

But before then I'll have to commit an unspeakable crime.

NEXT TIME: Completing a non-mandatory random encounter and getting the results screen, thus earning EXP.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

See, to stop the train means to fight guys like Wolfmeister and Eagle Gun. They give EXP. Quite a lot. A total of 13500 for the whole train, in fact, if I'm counting right. Wolfmeister gives 10k by himself actually. Sadly to preserve our pitiful levels Barrel has to let this town die. Again.

Alternatively you could've not jumped onto the train at all and both avoided EXP and saved Corel because the train escapes instead of crashes.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

whitehelm posted:

Alternatively you could've not jumped onto the train at all and both avoided EXP and saved Corel because the train escapes instead of crashes.

You can do that? So many things I don't know!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Elentor posted:

You'll all get a full set of cards by the end of the LP, even the ones missing right now. Today's update is a mock/reference to megaman/bioware games. The bosses are set in a megaman stage intro style. We will resume to the cards soon.

I wish you guys knew how much work goes into those things :smith:
I deeply appreciate that amount of crazy effort just for a few seconds of laughter Elentor :allears: that was awesome, thank you.

whitehelm posted:

:aaa: seriously? Like...how do you AVOID doing that? Don't you just automatically jump onto a train or so when going towards Corel or...?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
If it escapes, then how do you get the Huge Materia?

Saucy!
Apr 27, 2012

spangin' for kratom

quote:

If it escapes, then how do you get the Huge Materia?
You don't, it's completely possible to gently caress up every Huge Materia segment except Fort Condor (I think? Unless losing against the commander doesn't game-over you I don't know how else you'd fail that one). You do have to be trying to lose for at least one of them though.

Saucy! fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 15, 2013

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Saucy! posted:

You don't, it's completely possible to gently caress up every Huge Materia segment except Fort Condor (I think? Unless losing against the commander doesn't game-over you I don't know how else you'd fail that one). You do have to be trying to lose for at least one of them though.

I think I didn't do this correctly until my 2nd or 3rd play-through. I didn't know about the "escaping" scenario. Pretty cool.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Let's see you keep this guy low level, smartie pants! :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

whitehelm posted:

Eh, I don't lose anything much. I couldn't even level Ultima to usable before the point 50k gil is a sneeze.

Seriously my LLG file is currently sitting on 3.8 million.

FinalGamer posted:

:aaa: seriously? Like...how do you AVOID doing that? Don't you just automatically jump onto a train or so when going towards Corel or...?

Don't pump levers. You'll never catch up. Of course, unless you're doing some silly challenge run it's always in your best interest to stop the train.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Saucy! posted:

Nope, if you lose the minigame and then to the commander, you get kicked out of the fort and don't get the huge materia. You also can't get back in because the rope to climb up is now missing.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Nope, if you lose the minigame and then to the commander, you get kicked out of the fort and don't get the huge materia. You also can't get back in because the rope to climb up is now missing.
OH MY GOD THEY TOOK THE BASE TOO!??!

gently caress :(

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

whitehelm posted:

Man, I bet almost no one knows that. Here's what happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNYEIGd5nXw

EDIT: Right, sorry, there are spoilers in the related videos, someone has a spoiler-free link a few posts down.

Zinco fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 15, 2013

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Speaking of update 50, I visited my parents yesterday and ended up digging through some of my old stuff and stumbled across this old friend:

Flipping through it, it is now apparent just why I'm learning so much from an LP of a game I've played through at least 20 times. This thing is laughably incomplete, but, man, I still love the poo poo out of it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Zinco posted:

Man, I bet almost no one knows that. Here's what happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNYEIGd5nXw

As with all Youtube, related videos contain spoilers.
For the same video made safe:
http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSNYEIGd5nXw

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Since this is a low-level run, are you going to make sure that pilot-in-training doesn't get any EXP and stays at level 6 forever?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Rooreelooo posted:

Since this is a low-level run, are you going to make sure that pilot-in-training doesn't get any EXP and stays at level 6 forever?

It's just a matter of using that exploit where Cid gets him drunk, ties him up in the ship's hold, and does the rest of the flying himself.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It was the train sequence where the game bugged out and every single attack did hundreds of damage. Only items managed to break four digits and bosses took way too long. Maybe the hordes of treasure chests opening up on each map wasn't a good enough reason that I should do over.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

larchesdanrew posted:

Speaking of update 50, I visited my parents yesterday and ended up digging through some of my old stuff and stumbled across this old friend:

Flipping through it, it is now apparent just why I'm learning so much from an LP of a game I've played through at least 20 times. This thing is laughably incomplete, but, man, I still love the poo poo out of it.

Still bummed about losing this guide in middle school. I bought the official guide afterwards, but it was nowhere near as good. At least I still got the poster and the two guides for Ocarina of Time and Majora Mask.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I had a guide that was touted as "spoiler-free" that my mom got for me. It wasn't the most informative, but it wasn't terrible and it was pretty good about spoilers. I have no idea who published it or what it was called, I only remember that the intro spoiled one of the Phantasy Star games.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

THAT'S THE GUIDE I HAVE!

I lost the front cover of it though but it got me through pretty much all of the game back when it was my first-ever RPG and I had no idea what the gently caress I was doing.
I DID enjoy its potential materia combinations on the front page it would suss out for you, kinda helped me fast-track understand how materia worked.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FinalGamer posted:

THAT'S THE GUIDE I HAVE!

I lost the front cover of it though but it got me through pretty much all of the game back when it was my first-ever RPG and I had no idea what the gently caress I was doing.
I DID enjoy its potential materia combinations on the front page it would suss out for you, kinda helped me fast-track understand how materia worked.

What is it with Brady guides being terribly bound? My FFXII guide literally fell apart. I found a page under my bed a year after I threw the thing out.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

FinalGamer posted:

THAT'S THE GUIDE I HAVE!

I remember buying this, used, at a flea market a couple years after the game came out. My friend and I split the cost and shared it. Thing must be in pieces by now.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

razorrozar posted:

What is it with Brady guides being terribly bound? My FFXII guide literally fell apart. I found a page under my bed a year after I threw the thing out.

Prima guides are worse. I had the FFT guide from them and it eventually fell apart so bad I had to put it into a three-ring binder.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least your guides didn't have Aeris dying on the cover.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Elentor posted:

...di...did that happen to you? :ohdear:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Hunter Noventa posted:

Prima guides are worse. I had the FFT guide from them and it eventually fell apart so bad I had to put it into a three-ring binder.
I had the same, only with half the pages.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elentor posted:

I think the spoiler-free guide I had mentioned that when it got to that part of the game.

I can't imagine playing through the game the first time being like "oh god oh god is this the last cutscene? how much longer does she have?"

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Elentor posted:

Hey, guess what I found.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FinalGamer posted:

...di...did that happen to you? :ohdear:

I had already beaten the game by then, but I had seen the Aeris' death cutscene before playing. When I got to it I had completely forgotten, though.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Hey, guess what I found.

drat talk about old things. I remember that LARP article talking about the origin of RPG and what not. People in this city sure love LARPing.

And anime cover metal bands.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I had the same, only with half the pages.

My Pokemon Red guide completely fell apart :sigh: and I can't even find my Pokemon Red cartridge anymore.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elentor posted:

I had already beaten the game by then, but I had seen the Aeris' death cutscene before playing. When I got to it I had completely forgotten, though.
I swear it was actually in a commercial for the game in the US.

quote:

drat talk about old things. I remember that LARP article talking about the origin of RPG and what not. People in this city sure love LARPing.
I was gonna say, "They can't mean that Vampire: The Masquerade... can they?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Hey, guess what I found.

To be totally fair, it doesn't show him stabbing her and readers would be justified in assuming she gets saved at the last second. For a rational response, gently caress YOU WHY WOULD YOU SPOIL THAT.

• Locked thread