Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YJT
Oct 27, 2010
"I'd really like to not hear about thing"

"Let me tell you a bit about thing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I said nothing about the thing itself. But if you already know it, then there's no way it will be a surprise.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dauntasa posted:

I said nothing about the thing itself. But if you already know it, then there's no way it will be a surprise.

"If you already know what happens, it's not a surprise when it happens!"

I don't really think you're saying much here, chief.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Psion posted:

"If you already know what happens, it's not a surprise when it happens!"

I don't really think you're saying much here, chief.

No, but the guy I was talking to said he wanted it to be a surprise, but also said that he already knew what it was.

YJT
Oct 27, 2010
At best it was an entirely pointless post, in addition to being specifically what he just asked you not to do.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

YJT posted:

At best it was an entirely pointless post, in addition to being specifically what he just asked you not to do.

If you want to talk about pointless, then how about the fact that we've just spent 5 posts posting about posting? Let's just stop this now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay, this is getting dumb. Can we just agree to not say anything about anything we haven't seen instead of debating what constitutes a spoiler or not?

YJT
Oct 27, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay, this is getting dumb. Can we just agree to not say anything about anything we haven't seen instead of debating what constitutes a spoiler or not?

Yes please!

BoredumIncarnate
Apr 24, 2008
Well I for one don't mind the raindow menus/windows.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

BoredumIncarnate posted:

It might be better if the text was black, but trying to read white text off of that is terrible for me. I did not expect it to be as bad as it is.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The blocky models kind of look like poo poo in the screenshots but they look better in motion, I think. They're very emotive.

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007

BoredumIncarnate posted:

I had up one of the updates w/ rainbows in it and my epileptic wife walked past and had a seizure.

True story.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Joebungaloe posted:

I had up one of the updates w/ rainbows in it and my epileptic wife walked past and had a seizure.

True story.

Is.... is she okay

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cyrus106 posted:

What I never understood about FF7's graphics is that the backgrounds and world itself is rendered very well, but the character models just make my eyes bleed 0_0. If you're going to make beautiful areas in a game, don't splotch it up with ugly polygon models :/

These backgrounds are pre-rendered.

Each one of these backgrounds probably took some good hours to render, at least. Render times in the 90s were SLOOOOOOOOOW, I remember trying to render stuff in a render-farm and even a 640*480 image could take hours. Renders sometimes could take over a day or two. All this to get one image.

Compare that to the fact the characters are rendered in real time. We're comparing the background (one frame very few hours) to the characters (30-60 frames every second).

Granted, they could have used the Battle Models, but the original planning was that the game would be SD like FF6-.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Elentor posted:

Granted, they could have used the Battle Models, but the original planning was that the game would be SD like FF6-.

One of my favorite mods for the PC is the one that replaces the low-poly models with the battle models. Sure, it sometimes got a little jarring to see a lovingly rendered Cloud standing next to an NPC made of about four polygons, but it was a small price to pay I think.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

OatmealRaisin posted:

One of my favorite mods for the PC is the one that replaces the low-poly models with the battle models. Sure, it sometimes got a little jarring to see a lovingly rendered Cloud standing next to an NPC made of about four polygons, but it was a small price to pay I think.

How do they animate?

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Yeah the battle models are quite good compare to the overworld ones. I really like that game and the battle system. Most of the cast is good (except Mr Marshmallow) and you can use whichever one you like since the only difference is the limits.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

George posted:

How do they animate?

it's been a while, but I remember them looking really good. Basically they did all the same motions and animations exactly the same as the low poly models. The only thing that looked a little weird were their hands, since pointing and reaching animations in the cutscenes were done with giant hoof hands in mind.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 14 - Flashbacks

Midgar.

A place for the dreaded.

The land of humans in the Norse Mythology.

But one could say Midgard is Hades itself.

For in truth - what is more hellish than ourselves?

As Jean-Paul Sartre would say, "L'enfer, c'est les autres."

"Hell is other people".

It's in Midgar where our story starts.

And it's in Midgar where our story shall reach its end.

This is a pretty WTF sequence when you think about it. AVALANCHE is gone, and so are hundreds of thousands of people.

I like this because it shows how things have consequences. Sometimes they don't make sense to us, and sometimes they don't make sense at all. Hell, most of the time, they don't.

In rio, there are over 900 slums.

If you haven't watched City of God or Elite Squad, I recommend you do. They're too very good Brazilian movies. City of God is Top #19 on IMDB.

A friend of mine watched it while in US, and commented some of the people saying the movie was completely unrealistic because it showed kids with guns.

These two movies are actually fairly realistic depictions.

To some outsiders, reading news about the drug dealers and the police in Rio may sound like a Civil War. Indeed, some crazy poo poo happens from time to time.

Just recently, tanks were employed in the "war" against the drug lords.

It's pretty hardcore.

One of the most terrifying moments was when a drug gang locked down a bus and set it on fire, making sure no one would escape from it through the windows.

That's because it was a bus from the line my then S/O was taking to visit me. Of course, I was terrified about what could have happened to her.

Luckily she had taken a bus about 10 minutes earlier. It's one of those moments you go apeshit glad about someone being alive.

Of course, that is one of those stories where everything ends up well. Where 10 minutes is the difference between life and death, but in the end everything worked out.

Not all stories have a happy ending, though.

This whole Ancient thing is a little creepy. What we know so far is that Aeris is not just a regular person, but what is she exactly?

Of course, Cloud has another one of his psychotic breakdowns.

And yet we have this name, Rosebud Sephiroth, linking everything. Who IS this guy?

Going back we find a [Sense] Materia. Sense reports the Health Pool and weaknesses of enemies, as long as they have lower than 30,000 HP.

Back in Sector 5 we fight the Vices, which are basically random thugs on the street. These are very dangerous fights because they can steal a random item from you (any item, including our most prized ones) and then run away right after.

However, we can now [Steal] a very good item off of them:

Speed Drinks, which cast Haste. Haste makes our ATB bar fills faster, which is always good.

Naturally, the Shinra Information Network is already telling everyone that AVALANCHE did it.

We go back to the kid we almost stole from.

Naturally you only get this conversation if you didn't steal from him.

Yeeah I'm not so sure you're gonna do good on being a tradesman, kid.

A Turbo Ether heals all of your MP and at this point and time is such a prized item you either just save it or sell it.

With our business done, we go back to Aeris' house.

Yes yes the plot is ~HILARIOUS~ if you name everyone Sephiroth.

Actually no, we just want Marlene back. Bye.

I like how Cloud is not a silent protagonist as people complain. He's actually the one who moves the plot forward and talks to everyone and crossdresses etc.

See Shinra? That wasn't so hard, was it?

I should have named Aeris Daeneryth, shouldn't I?

Cmon Barret, you're no newbie to being a foster parent.

I sense a sad flashback incoming.

Oh God.

The saddest thing is seeing how happy and naive young Jessie and Biggs are in this screenshot.

Run away you two :smith:

That's drat sad.

"Then, one day..."

See this is just how Daenerys when she arrived in arghgh3wg43i

I like the sincerity of the "I was lonely" part.

This is where I make a Firefly joke with River Tam.

Kids telling you someone just died is a recipe for a creepy movie.

But seriously though, that's sad as hell.

You guys do suck at searching though.

The bad jokes, they come to me, I can't resist urgghhhh :cry:

Well that sounds... great and all...

Too good to be true, in fact.

What I never got is why didn't they just take her? I mean, it's not like they don't kidnap people, like they just did to her.

Instead she just runs away.

FF7 makes much more sense if you think about it as the X-Men.

Yes Barret, you gently caress up everything.

Like I said, Soap Operas.

Hahahaha

Hell yes, he is.

Oh God

There's a love triangle in this game.

Cloud, Barret and Don Corneo.

This is a very interesting point for one reason.

The reason is that Cloud is giving a gently caress about someone and that he's not a total rear end in a top hat as he wants others to think.

Truer words never spoken, Tifa.

And we go back to our favorite place in the game!

Chapter 14 - Bugs & Bytes

We're getting a triple Bugs & Bytes!

Stealing

Stealing is entirely based on the level difference between you and the dork you're trying to steal from.

This means that those extra levels make my life less painful.

I think it's clear but Steal wouldn't be so useless if bosses were actually challenging. So far we have Demi, Haste and a weapon far beyond our league thanks to Steal and we barely have it!

The other issue is that Steal is not intuitive. Bosses rarely have something worthy to steal from, and the best items you're getting from random trash mobs.

Bigs, Wedge, Jessie, Por que?

You may have noticed, but FFVII is full of Star Wars references all the time.

Bigs and Wedge are actually two characters from the original trilogy of Star Wars. They're recurring names in Final Fantasies too.

You can see Biggs' wikia page here and Wedge's page here.

Like FF7, they started as generic bystanders, NPCs one would say, and were completely destroyed by the EU. It rhymes!
While we're at Flashbacks...

I'm gonna get you this video here.

What is it? It's one of the "removed" scenes, or one of the alternate versions of the Cloud and Tifa flashback of the well.

There are many, many inactive alternate sequences like this in the game.

As always, Youtube videos have a risk of having spoilers in the related videos.

A Note

DO NOT TALK ABOUT POSTING

Do not talk about how someone is posting about spoilers or whatever. That kind of crap is the worst derail and you're making GBS threads the thread more than the guy who spoils that Cloud is Magneto and Tifa is in truth a robot from space. DO NOT TALK ABOUT POSTING.

I obviously would prefer if you guys talked just about the LP, but I don't care if you guys derail talking about other FFs, as long as everything is tangential to the game (FFs, other J-RPGs, other RPGs if you stretch a lot). When you guys are not talking about posting the discussions in this thread have been enjoyable to follow.

I don't care either if you guys mention spell names as long as they're not spoilers (sometimes they are). My only worry is to make this a fine, spoiler-free thread for those who haven't beat FF7 yet and an entertaining, informative thread for those who have.

Talking about Aero is not gonna ruin the fun of the former, but complaining about talking about Aero is gonna ruin the fun of both.

So don't talk about posting or Barret is gonna be sad. This also includes talking about this, so just read it and move along.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 21, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The Daeneryth thing would have only worked up until you left Midgar, anyway.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Elentor posted:

The saddest thing is seeing how happy and naive young Jessie and Biggs are in this screenshot.

Run away you two :smith:

...Wow, I've never noticed that before. Now I feel really bad about it :smith:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Sure Barret, live in your cloud of denial and misplaced aggression. Don't reflect on your own actions or anything you big jerk. :mad:

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
That moment where Cloud hears Sephiroth in his head is kind of annoying because it suddenly leads people to believe that the weird voice in Cloud's head is always Sephiroth.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Adus posted:

That moment where Cloud hears Sephiroth in his head is kind of annoying because it suddenly leads people to believe that the weird voice in Cloud's head is always Sephiroth.

Is it ever Sephiroth?

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Elmyra's flashback always really chokes me up :( Surprisingly effective for such a minor character's backstory.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So, are all 2500 screens you've capped since the last update with the Rainbow scheme? :gonk:

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
This part has one of the more annoying Cloud-isms: You have to walk off on your own toward Aeris's House to initiate the cutscene where everyone talks you in to letting them tag along; the game won't let you turn right around and go back there on your own. Even though you could clearly see the shiny Materia lying on the ground back there in the earlier cutscenes. It's just a tiny moment, but I think it contributes to a lot of the anti-Cloud sentiment people have.

Also, I wish the translators were more consistent between using "Shinra" and "The Shinra". Especially since every time Barret uses "The Shinra" he's saying something that would sound horrifyingly racist if you substitute 'The Jews' or the like...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

FrickenMoron posted:

So, are all 2500 screens you've capped since the last update with the Rainbow scheme? :gonk:

Hahahahaha. Rainbow is the gift that keeps on giving.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Thranguy posted:

Also, I wish the translators were more consistent between using "Shinra" and "The Shinra". Especially since every time Barret uses "The Shinra" he's saying something that would sound horrifyingly racist if you substitute 'The Jews' or the like...

You know this actually sounds about right for Barret.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Elentor posted:

I'm gonna get you this video here.

Wow, I never knew about this. After seeing this the dialogue with Johnny and some of the other NPC's the next day make a little more sense.

The Elmyra flashback was probably the first time I felt really sad during a video game. (Biggs, Wedge's and Jessie's death didn't do that much for me as I was sure they were just waiting for their triumphant return.)

I also really love the music during the whole flashback scene, Elentor already posted a live orchestra version of that song in a previous update but it doesn't have that fuzzy nostalgic feeling the original has for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIqKWLkm2-g&feature=related

And I don't think those two NPC's in the flashback are supposed to be Biggs and Jessie, they just have the same fashion sense. I mean, this is 15 years prior to FF7, I always imagined they'd be around Cloud's age.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 21, 2011

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
I really love how you keep slightly changing your rainbow boxes and how angry it is making everyone. Keep rainbow.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Funnily enough no one should ever sell their Turbo Ether because it's one of those weird items that should be valuable but isn't. You get 1 gil selling it. Normal Ethers are worth 750 gil. I wonder why that is.

John Luebke posted:

And I don't think those two NPC's in the flashback are supposed to be Biggs and Jessie, they just have the same fashion sense. I mean, this is 15 years prior to FF7, I always imagined they'd be around Cloud's age.

We never get any indication of how old they all are, and Barret is in his thirties. They could easily be his age and Jessie just wants to get some of Cloud's young rear end. :unsmith:

I've noticed them before and I think they look younger than we've seen them. The bandanas are a giveaway, I can't think of any other character who wears one.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 21, 2011

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NatashaQuick posted:

I really love how you keep slightly changing your rainbow boxes and how angry it is making everyone. Keep rainbow.

Right now the boxes are a printer test. They're CMYK.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Dauntasa posted:

Is it ever Sephiroth?

Only that one time, for the most part. There might be other instances but I can't really go into detail.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Rainbow text boxes are the best.

The only time I've seen Rio in a movie was in The Incredible Hulk. Was that a decent representation, Elentor, or have you never seen it?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

NatashaQuick posted:

I think they actually change depending on their position on the screen.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrickenMoron posted:

Don't worry I'll be changing it... I'm not keeping the same scheme for the whole game.

John Luebke posted:

Wow, I never knew about this. After seeing this the dialogue with Johnny and some of the other NPC's the next day make a little more sense.

Johnny has a lot... a lot of unused dialogue. It's creepy, actually.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Rainbow text boxes are the best.

The only time I've seen Rio in a movie was in The Incredible Hulk. Was that a decent representation, Elentor, or have you never seen it?

Never seen it, but a friend of mine told me there's a guy who speaks Portugal's Portuguese, and this infuriates us to no end. It's like someone making a movie showing US but you get only British actors and people speaking with a British accent, or a movie in England with American actors and American accent. If they're not gonna do it right, why bother doing it at all?

niebezimienny
Dec 29, 2008
This LP is great, and of my favourite game of all time. I had to replay it recently.
This might sound pretty lame, but I got really upset when Snape kills Dumbledore.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

niebezimienny posted:

This LP is great, and of my favourite game of all time. I had to replay it recently.
This might sound pretty lame, but I got really upset when Snape kills Dumbledore.

Wait, Dumbledore dies? Thanks for ruining it.

• Locked thread