Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
Oh hey, I'm actually replaying this now in Japanese. It's true this thing hasn't aged well at all, but I'm still enjoying it. Cloud and some of the other cast seem to have more unique personalities in the original dialog, so that helps, but the thing I still dig about this game is the magic/ability system. I really liked the variety of stuff you could pull off in this one and VIII, I had more fun in the menus than the actual story, I think.

Also I loved the gently caress out of Shin-Ra. I haven't played an FF since midway through XII when I got bored and gave up, but of the 10 before that I think they were my favorite antagonists of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

Dauntasa posted:

There's nothing wrong with a little J-pop/rock here and there. But taking your favorite guy and inserting him into the canon of your story is on the level of bad fanfiction. I wouldn't have minded a bit more J-pop/rock on the soundtrack(well, not too much), but putting it into the story is ridiculous.

I always thought it was attempts to appease Gackt after they pretty much designed Squall after him - there were bootleg models in the 90s that just said "GACKT" with the gunblade and everything, you can still find them at nerd shops over here. Hell, Edea looks like a ripoff of another member of his old band, too. When Gackt actually showed up in one of the games I just assumed it was due to a lawsuit threat.

Squall. Now THERE was an "emo" character. I'm on disc 2 of the Japanese FFVII now and Cloud's been a pretty chill dude. I remember being "meh" on him in the translation but he never really seemed depressed to me?

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
I have the day off, so I went back and looked for these people...

Elentor posted:

In the Japanese version, the first time you see them, the conversation is basically
"I won't let you go home tonight"
「エェ」
"Let's go somewhere and be alone" (blah blah about the haunted trainyard)
「エェ」

And then...

"I can't take it anymore."
"It's ok. I feel the same way."
"This is the first time we've shared the same feelings."
「ええ」 THUMP

I think it's just supposed to be a joke based on the first time the girl is saying 「エェ」/"ee" as in "Huh?" and the last time she's saying 「ええ」/"ee" as in "yes." That was...so not worth going back for :sigh:

One thing that really stuck out to me so far replaying this in Japanese (on disc 2 now) is that the dialogue depends a lot on things like name suffixes and politeness-levels of speech that are a bitch to translate. A scene that had felt out of nowhere the first time I played just got me all :smith: even though I knew what was going to happen, because just the strategic use of -san and -kun explained a shitload more about the characters' feelings than the translation did. If I remember when the LP gets there I'll point it out.

Honestly even more than the breakdown of the game (which is interesting as well) I'm enjoying these small tidbits about Rio compared to Midgar.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

Elentor posted:

I think Edea resembles Mana, she also barely speaks.

Yeah that was who I was thinking of as well. I was pretty into J-rock when FF8 came out and I remember opening the manual and instantly thinking Squall/Edea were Gackt/Mana. Some other nerd on the internet apparently agreed:

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

Landwhale posted:

I still don't know what in the world Jessie meant by her making Cloud's ID special ("put my heart into making it") made it trigger the alarm. Like, did she code CLOUD & JESSIE 4EVER into it instead of the right script? :psyduck:

How does that line read in the original?

If I remember right it reads about the same. She says earlier on the first train ride that she'll make him "something special"... and when I went back to look for the collapsing couple, in the hideout she was wondering if she hosed up the explosives at the first reactor, too.

Obviously we should've left her with her foot stuck back at the reactor :colbert:

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

S-Alpha posted:

But there's nothing wrong with FFX.

Thank you. I never got the passionate FFX hate, or the people who act like it's an inarguable fact the game sucked. Sure the story is mostly really linear, but there's a story based reason, the characters are mostly interesting, the world feels like it has a history, and I thought the sphere grid was fun. I mainly judge FFs on battle systems, so X and VII were my favorites. XI wasn't as funfor me to play. I hated 8's story, but LOVED the system.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

Rythian posted:

FFX is my favourite, but let's not get into a "what FF is your favourite" derail in this thread, there's been too much of it already.

I'm going to use your post as a guideline before I make the mistake of defending Tidus on here :sigh:

Honestly the first time I played 7, I think I spent so much time grinding between plot parts that I never really got into the characters, they were just materia mules. Going back over this, the people I remember thinking were cool when I was in high school feel boring as hell, and the characters I thought sucked are pretty chill. I wonder use much is the translation, how much is not being all WAI KAWAII BISHIES anymore, and how much is just playing the game at a normal pace..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
I wouldn't mind random battles so much if they only/mostly happened when I'm running around in a circle. (simultaneously replaying FF7 and Persona 2:Tsumi. Getting sucked into "OOH! A HUMAN! LET'S CHAT!" poo poo when I beat the boss and just want to loving leave :mad: )

Golden_Zucchini posted:

That iss part of what I like about FFX. The completely turn-based combat put a lot more strategy into it, though with level grinding you could still turn into a mash x to win game.

Totally. When I first realized I could swap people out when I needed them I practically did a dance. I had so much fun with the fights in that game. And if you get all the game-breaking extra poo poo, they had optional bosses to play with. I liked how they seemed to notice how people would go insane with materia/junctions, and then tried to still keep the characters different enough that they had a point being used...in the beginning at least. Also my favorite random battle music. Still gets stuck in my head...

Xenogears was when I realized that listening to the fanboys on the GameFAQs RPGs-Squaresoft board (I was in high school, shut up) was not a good idea. You know how overpriced that game was before it went Greatest Hits? Never finished disc 2. :sigh:

• Locked thread