Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

DocFrance posted:

You'd think Cloud would be Claude.

That reminds me, I read that Cloud's name was supposed to be Claude in the first place, but it was mistranslated. Same deal with the Aeris/Aerith thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I've seen people claim that IX's soundtrack is weak as hell. Of course, they're the same type of person who dislikes IX overall...

and those are just bad people.

These are the same people who jerked off to Dirge of Cerberus and FFX-onwards. These people can safely be ignored until we can cart them off to the reeducation camps.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

S-Alpha posted:

But there's nothing wrong with FFX.

And IX is probably the third lowest on my list, with only III and II lower. Kind of odd that I don't like it, considering that I started with IV and VI, and that V is one of my favorites. But my opinion is worth nothing, considering my favorite is VIII. And that's terrible.

You will be the first to be reeducated.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Tidus was such a punchable little bastard. In fact, there wasn't a likable character in that entire game. Sure, its mechanics lent it to being breakable in so many ways... but why would you want to? Also, what the gently caress were they thinking when they came up with Drownball?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lance Streetman posted:

Well, thanks for spoiling that for me. I just started playing that game not to long ago.

Then you'll hate when we tell you that Edgar and Sabin are actually clones of Kefka and that Celes is actually a man.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

KataraniSword posted:

Wait, Rosa had A SINGLE QUIRK? :raise:

If you count "got kidnapped once" as a quirk, I guess.

Seriously, if you could teach a RealDoll white magic, it would serve every purpose in that story that Rosa had.

At least Tifa has the "childhood friend" thing going in a game where the past is actually looked at in-game.

She also had a hat! Don't forget the hat!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Supeerme posted:

I thought this thread had a no spoiler policy? It's getting annoying to see black lines everywhere. I never played this game before because I thought it was crap as I was playing Digimon World 1 all the time to bother with this game.

I agree, enough with the drat spoilers. There's a rule about it in the OP for Chrissakes.

Dauntasa posted:

Tifa has a hat, too. Just not right now.

That's who I was talking about.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FinalSin posted:

Yeah, don't they do a bunch of military research on the side, and whatnot?

As shown by the Air Buster, the Guard Scorpion, and the dozen or so biological horrors we've fought/will fight, yup.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Man, why'd they ruin FF7 with the extended universe poo poo? Cloud's right up there with Zidane when it comes to wacky rear end in a top hat protagonists.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Elentor posted:

Well it's my first LP, and I have to cover up the fact I'm not as funny as Leovinus. If I don't update it in a reasonable basis then I'm screwed.

You're funnier than Leovinus in that you seem to actually update and you're probably not going to abandon the LP midway (give or take a few hours of playtime) through.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

dumb brunette posted:

I always presumed the reactors were really loving tall and they weren't built on top of the plate so much as the outer plate "hooks into" them at about midway up. Not sure if that shot of the edge of Midgar disproves that or not.

Also, I think anyone who played FF7 clearly remembers this sequence the best. Be honest, who here doesn't think of FF7 and go "haha, remember crossdressing Cloud for the Don Corneo stuff?"

Nowadays, anyone who thinks of FF7 just thinks about the post-FF7 stuff where Cloud is basically a blonde Squall.

I'm happy about this LP because it made me remember that FF7 was pretty drat good before the fandom demanded that it become emo whiny pseudo-psychological bullshit.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I always wondered what those mechanical hands in the junk piles belonged to.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Elentor posted:

Bikini Briefs: - Might be NWS.

Sexy Cologne:

Silk Dress:

Blonde Wig:

Diamond Tiara:

Screaming Idiot, you know what to do. MSPaint GO! Wait, on second though, don't.

Oh no, you invoked my dark and dreadful power, so DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Grinnblade posted:

This LP is loving amazing so far. I really need to find my memory stick so I can continue playing this on my PSP.

So this isn't drive-by praise, a slightly relevant link:

Brentalfloss turns the creepiness of Don Corneo up to 11.

... although Black Materia in general is amazing.

(WARNING: THE REST OF THE LINKED ALBUM CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Oh Brentalfloss, you're amazing. :allears:

Elentor posted:

Oh God, this is a thing of beauty.

"YES %&*@! I'M AN ATTRACTIVE GIRL NOW WHERE'S TIFA dammit I'm a 1st-class SOLDIER I deserve better than this poo poo"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Elentor posted:

No, they just get more and more sensitive and horrible. Specially horrible.

FF7 and FF9 were truly the last great Final Fantasy games. I wonder why there wasn't an FF8? I guess we'll never know.

I guess we'll never know.

EDIT: In all seriousness, I'm tempted to LP FF8 just to show that I, too, can get irrationally angry at a bad game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dauntasa posted:

I think it's important to remember that FF8 existed, so that history may never repeat itself, and there will never be another FF quite that bad. I just cannot think of a single redeeming feature of that horrible, horrible game. I bought it from a friend for five bucks and never have I been so ripped off in my life.

Now hold on, I do remember that one of Laguna's limit breaks was a Hollywood-style machinegun firing from a rope attached to nothing, and that his fat friend hurled a goddamned giant anchor at people.

Also, it gave us Leovinus making fun of how lovely it was, which is okay too.

Landwhale posted:

Triple Triad. :colbert:

Also I didn't particularly dislike the character design. It was refreshing to see some stuff one might actually wear.

Yes, jorts, a furry coat, a latex minidress, and BUCKLES. loving. EVERYWHERE. One might actually dress that way if one were a loving douchenozzle cuntbag.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Landwhale posted:

Selphie's jumper was loving cute and I had a red one that was similar back in high school. :j:

I think you're letting the superfluous Nomura-wardrobe hate out here on the internet cloud your memories.

I have a multi-paragraph rant ready to be unleashed but goddammit I'm just going to let it go because there is far too much hostility to be unleashed on what's been a drat good LP so far.

Seriously, FF7's a decent game and Elentor's doing a drat good job of showing it off.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

loving finally, someone who hates Triple Triad! Everyone acts like it was the greatest thing in the history of gaming. It was probably the first time I never finished a sidequest, simply because it was so loving dull. And I got all the Celestial Weapons in FFX.

Triple Triad -- hell, most minigames in RPGs -- is a loving waste of time and developer effort. If I wanted to play a goddamned card game, then I'd play another game and not some clumsily-inserted lovely card game simulation.

LOOKING AT YOU, FABLE II AND FABLE III.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bocc Kob posted:

FF8 was miles better than that black hole of suck FF9 and don't you dare favorably compare that abortion of fun that is Tetra Master to anything good. :argh:

You're my enemy.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

EagerSleeper posted:

What is going on in this thread?

Beautiful things.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Slime posted:

Don Corneo got lots of bitches, y'know? Man can't be expected to remember just one of 'em.

Out of all the FF7 characters who got lovely sidegames or animes based on them, it's a loving tragedy the Don didn't get one.

C'mon, he's got a blonde forelock, a heart tattoo, and a royal pimp robe. He's the man.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

kalonZombie posted:

In older editions of DnD, and even with some of the beefier attacks in 4e, enemies typically got saves against spells, but even if they did make it, they still got half damage. Mainly because "you try outrunning lightning" and "holy poo poo that was an explosion of fire". Higher level rogues tend to ignore that poo poo completely though.

As for other systems in general? It's goddamn magic.

I know that WoW uses a completely different standard for magic, though -- magic users more than anyone have to stack their respective accuracy stats or else their spells will miss more often then not.

Surprised the hell out of me back in the day as I was still fresh from console RPGs.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Waffleman_ posted:

The catboys are coming in the PS3 release.

Unfortunately they had to cut "fun" to make room.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Elentor posted:

3) I hate - and I really do - to say that, but as far as game movies go, FF7AC was pretty faithful. I'll even go one step further and say it was much more faithful than the rest of the EU. Sure, the characters' personalities were way off, but everything else was spot on. The characters looked the same and their design was a reasonable, acceptable progression of what you'd expect. Barret no longer looked like Mr.T and instead had his own "look".

Barret's redesign was the worst part of that loving movie. And that includes the SPOILERS SPOILERS and the SPOILER parts.

gently caress Advent Children. gently caress everything that has to do with FF7 after FF7.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FreezingInferno posted:

All I know is I bought the thing for $17.99 in like 2006 and have only watched it all the way through twice. The last time I tried I got bored ten minutes in, took it out, and put in The Hunt For Red October.

I had a much better evening.

I bought it, watched about thirty minutes of it, then kept it around for a year or so until a friend came over and asked to borrow it. I told him to keep it, that he'd enjoy it far more than me since he probably fantasizes about blowing Nomura.

I paid 5 bucks for the DVD from Walmart. I felt like they overcharged me by 6 bucks.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

NatashaQuick posted:

Because this is fight music from the game, played BADLY by a piano. Listen to it.

It's not a very good version of that song. But that's okay, because that entire movie's terrible and I don't know why we're still talking about it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The White Dragon posted:

I was ten when I first started using my first and favorite iteration of Rainbow Window Colors.

I am now in my early 20s and still do.

It looks like someone put a magnet to the upper right of all those windows.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Enfield posted:

Man make that poo poo black and bleeding red like my last gf.

Diablos? Dude, this is Final Fantasy 7, you're thinking of the next game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Elentor posted:

What the hell are you guys doing with my name?

Don't mind the Elentorheads Elentoring about with their Elentors in their sweaty little hands.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Elentor posted:

I remember a thread about some anonymous confessional site where people talked about their erotic dreams with LP posters and that poo poo gave me nightmares, you're not helping it here.

And the 'shipping! Don't forget the 'shipping!

Elentor and the White Dragon... :allears:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dr. Dos posted:

That thread was the best thread.

Edit: Oh wait you're talking about Fandom Secrets or whatever. Well GBS had one a few years back and the LPer love was there as well.

I wanted to laugh. I really, really wanted to laugh. Instead I want to find these broken people and comfort them, talk to them, tell them everything will be all right. :smith:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Psion posted:

VIII had Doomtrain, which means it had the best summon in the series, so there's that.

plus Laguna's limit break is the best in the series.

Even if you hate VIII you have to admit both of those are facts, so.

I'll definitely admit that Doomtrain was awesome. I wish more games allowed me to summon a train to run my enemies the gently caress over whenever I pleased.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Charlie72 posted:

Well, Cloud is a somewhat of an interesting character.

Was. In FF7 he was a pretty drat well-balanced character personality-wise.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Woozy posted:

Cloud was a borderline silent protagonist for much of the game for the same reason Crono was: you're supposed to be able to plug your own thoughts into the drama. This is why boring people hate Cloud and we cool people dig him. :cool:

I also love his snarky mannerisms, and that he isn't always a jerk. He's your basic normal average every day guy who just happen to got full-on blasted in the face with magical dead people radiation.

In AC, however, he became a less-interesting Squall. And Squall wasn't interesting to begin with.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Headmaster Cid was one of Nomura's better character designs because he looked just like Robin Williams, and I can totally imagine Robin Williams in the Final Fantasy universe.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Man, I can't wait until the next update. While I'm not one to rush an LPer -- they are giving us free entertainment and we oughtta be grateful for it -- I'd very much like this thread to return to "Let's Play Final Fantasy VII!" and take the 'sperg back to the deep, dank hellhole from which it came.

Although FFXIII-2 looks exactly like more of Squareenix's "style over substance" bullshit and the designs look as lovely as they have been since FF8. :reject:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Woozy posted:

I like to like think that the low-poly models are a direct throwback to the SNES days. They look like literal 3D translations of the FFIV sprites. :buddy:

That's what I thought as well! I actually wish they'd just made the battle models the same as the overworld models, and then make both more detailed. The transition from the SD overworld model to super-realistic (for those days) battle one was a bit jarring to say the least.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Zas posted:

If you really wanna see low poly translations of the SNES sprites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYGiLY_VHpA

Back in the days when FFVII was gonna be on N64..

Oh hell, that looks pretty awesome. Why didn't they make that game instead? :(

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Landwhale posted:

And SI nothing is awesome about Terra's red buttfloss. Jesus Christ.

Yeah, but I decided to drop it because I didn't feel like starting another "<artist> is TERRIBLE" derail. We barely survived the Nomura incident with moderate belt-related injuries and a few zipper-burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
"Heh... heheh.... heehee.... HAHAHA! Genius! Pure genius! They called my breeding experiments 'absurd'! They called them 'mad'! They called them 'mind-bogglingly goddamned retarded'! Well, I've shown them! I've shown ALL of them! Behold..."

"THE CARROTMATO!"

"The hard part was getting the carrot and the tomato in the mood to breed. Some smooth jazz and cognac did the trick, yes."

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 24, 2011

• Locked thread