Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Can you break it down for the rest of us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

TheLoquid posted:

I like to think that the real reason Vincent is locked in a coffin is because the other Turks thought he was too much of a downer.

It's a shame that you get the least interesting, most angsty Turk in your party.

Vincent: :geno: Hojo turned me into a vampire.
Rude: :c00l: ...really?
Reno: :v: Ha ha, that's awesome!
Tseng: :raise: That will certainly make you a more valuable member of the team.
Vincent: :geno: My life is a neverending cavalcade of torment.
Reno: :v: Yeah, that's... wait, what.
Vincent: :geno: The darkness inside me is all that remains in the place where my soul once resided.
Tseng: :raise: Get his arms and legs. We'll stash him in the basement.
---
Vincent (muffled): :geno: Lucrezia...

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Cannot Find Server posted:

Oh, I'm not attacking the plot of FF7 at all. It's my favorite game in the main series and one of my favorite JRPG's ever; despite the horrible fanbase, I think it deserves most of the praise it received. Rather, I think it's pretty cool that everything is kinda cryptic and there are all those hidden clues and whatnot. It makes replaying the whole game again both necessary to 'get' it all and interesting because you pick up on all the little hintst sprinkled about throughout the game. There's so much just in Midgar alone that hints at future events that you'd never pick up on in your first playthrough (since, you know, you don't know the upcoming events hinted at and all...).

I think one of the biggest problems that FF7 suffers from is an advanced form of ludonarrative dissonance (woo new favorite game design term). I mean, all jRPGs suffer from this to a certain degree, but in this case I'm not just talking about all of the tired old clichés that we know and love (like cutscene-vs-gameplay mortality, or the massive destruction you can bring to bear in battle but not anywhere else in the gameworld).

We could probably debate the quality of FF7's story, but let's just focus on its plot. This is, as people have observed, an intricately-woven series of reveals, unreliable narrators, and outright falsehoods given to the player. And yet it's interspersed by gameplay that allows the player to wander off and gently caress around for dozens of hours at a time in-between. I assert that a plot like FF7's calls for a different game - one that allows for tighter pacing and properly-timed revelations. And I don't think a game should allow crucial revelations about their characters' backstories to be skipped entirely, but if you are setting out to make a game that asks - even demands - multiple replays to learn the whole story, it shouldn't be a game that also takes 20+ hours to finish a normal run-through.

Of course that's not even getting into the places where FF7's plot stumbles (and I think there are more than a few), further let down by the translation. And the underlying story, even once you've pieced it painstakingly together, probably isn't worth all the effort it takes to understand it. But that's a conversation for later...

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 5, 2012

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Elentor posted:

Games are about playing, about immersion.

Yes, absolutely - we're ultimately trying to get at the same point. Essentially, I would assert that most of the time when you're actually playing Final Fantasy 7, you're not interacting with the story, and vice versa. Gameplay and story should dovetail together to reinforce and inform each other, and I really don't believe that FF7 does much to acknowledge that.

Which is not to condemn the gameplay or the story. Taken by themselves, both are at least good, maybe excellent. But if they don't work together, than we're not taking full advantage of the game's potential.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Cloud can wear a Ribbon because he's comfortable enough in his masculinity not to be put-off by a little outside-the-gender-norms thinking.

Kefka can wear whatever the gently caress he wants because he gives absolutely zero fucks about anything other than absolute omnipotence.

There. Happy?

(You are now picturing Jecht dressed as a pretty pretty princess.)

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

pandaK posted:

Here have this plus more

:sigh:
I knew someone would post that; I just didn't think it would be so fast.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
While this LP and thread have given me a new-found appreciation for a lot of the things that made FF7 the success that it was, I'm still not sold on the story as anything other than a trainwreck. I think I made the argument earlier that a long-form jRPG-style game isn't the format you want for a story this... convoluted, but I'll set that aside. I just don't think I can buy into a plot that essentially revolves around one batshit insane guy chasing an even more batshit insane guy across half the freakin' planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

penguinmambo posted:

A lot is just the combo choices of how is a main character. For example Squall, Rinoa, and Sephie could get tiresome in FF8, while they are mostly fun in X-2.

:aaa:

Ha ha, holy poo poo, you have the best way of putting things. Loving the design updates.

• Locked thread