Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
If I can put off actually beating the final boss of the LLG for the 2nd year in a row that's totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Is it actually possible to lose the Fort Condor one? Losing the RTS part means fighting a boss battle, and doesn't losing that mean game over?

Either way, failing as much of the huge materia as possible gives the heroes post-facto justification for trying: no matter how many Shinra has, everything plays out the same. But that's only if the heroes fail at it so... uh...

Look there's a 3rd disc in the CD case it's not gonna work okay

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tengames posted:

I figured that green thing at the bottom of his model was a machine/materia like object and he just floated on it like the witch from dragonball.

"Some floating green sphere" to be what it actually is. Must be a Japanese cultural trope for mystical wise elders I don't get.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BlitzBlast posted:

You read wrong then. v:shobon:v Basch was the original protagonist, and Vaan was indeed added in as the viewpoint character to appeal to the demographic. Emphasis on viewpoint, he's not the main character of XII and never will be no matter how many people bitch about him. He's a side character whose character arc serves mostly to help develop Ashe, one of the actually important characters.

This sort of contrasts to every other game in the series and most video games in general, so I can see why people think Vaan's the main character.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Axe Master posted:

My friend and I got to the Ragnarok sequence on disc loving three without junctioning any magic to any stat. We had no idea you could even do that.

I'm in the middle of a low level game for FF7 and it is one of the less restrictive challenges I could do. The more options you get in FF games, the more of them you can ignore and still have the game beatable, up to the word salad challenges in 10.

Speaking of the LLG, have I mentioned I'm waiting for the undersea optional dungeon? I don't mean to be sassy I just wanted to bring it up for people wondering why Taft hasn't been sighted unconscious and bleeding on the floor recently.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Oh okay that's the bonus area I was waiting for for the LLG.

Now to remember how the hell to write words about not gaining EXP.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silegna posted:

How longs it been since you've written them, out of curiosity?

June of '13 it looks. I was right on Elentor's heels back then, but needing the Gelkina immediately after the underwater reactor meant I had to hold off.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Last time, we... uh...

Oh right, thanks. When you aren't killing cops you're a nice guy, you know?

I forget if Mideel's accessory shop sells these before it explodes or if I just fail to find it until then, but, eh, elemental resistance accessories I'll never use.

No I'm not joking I never use them.

So here's the fun of the underwater reactor: It's got entire gauntlets of unavoidable battles we haven't seen since the likes of Shinra HQ.

And yes, I tried to run. There's quite a few fights here worth several thousand experience each, and the worst part is, I have to off my own characters so often.

CLOUD is designated EXP-getter because he's been out for so long.

Loses a bit of its punch when the game refuses to let you avoid this, huh?

...Wait. I could've tried petrification via added effect. Dammit!

One of the problems of having to off the party is that the party is damned tough compared to how awful they are at killing. Most of the emphasis is on surviving the enemy with the knowledge that eventually enough right arms and freezes will be fatal.

Then we throw in random encounters and lord am I thankful for Escape. That was the best gil ever spent.

For reasons unfathomable to even me Cop Killa becomes designated EXP haver. I think my justifcation was I had used everyone else but Clispaeth recently and he's going to be mandatory soon enough.

There are a lot of fights here with rewards screens like this.

Low levels in FF7 are in the low twenties for a reason, by the way.

And now for the third worst fight in the game behind Demon Wall and the Icicles.

Gah gently caress how did this even happen

Wait what the hell is

What the hell

Woah gently caress what is this poo poo I didn't even get a turn without barrier he one-shots my party

Okay seriously Lapis Laser can go to hell
code:
   If (1/3 Chance) Then
   {
      Choose All Opponents
      Use Lapis Laser on Target
   }
Because he has a 1/3 chance of using it during his AI set-up at the start of the battle. Some enemies deploy minions or have dramatic pose changes that take advantage of battle models having higher detail.

Carry Armor kills you. Thankfully, Lapis Laser costs MP. Using Magic Hammer twice takes away all 200 Carry Armor has, making this fight possible at all.

His gimmick of grabbing people is dangerous as hell, too, if you don't know how it works. The arms have 10000 HP so killing them in one hit's impossible, and the lower their HP makes them more likely to grab. Given how hard Carry Armor can hit this can get pretty fatal. Now keep in mind at low levels I'm not doing more than about 4000 to all enemies even if all three characters use Right Arms. This would leave the arms at low health, so they'd grab two people - living ones, too. Taft is near perpetually dead so it's an instant loss.

The solution, then, is to ignore the arms entirely and hit Carry Armor with Freeze relentlessly. It isn't exactly obvious unless you're a cheating motherfucker like me who looks at AI scripts.

It's still a tense fight considering the lingering threat of grabbing, and it's also long because Freeze is not particularly strong of a main offense. Here, we see me violating various RPG sensabilities and using an Elixir.

And sometimes tactical suicides go very wrong.

It took me about eight tries, if I recall.

Two of them were to a preemptive Lapis Laser that ended the entire attempt before I could even move.

gently caress Lapis Laser.

Uh, a weapon for the perpetually level 7 character! Yay?

More important is this Trumpet. It's Cop Killa's time to shine.

Better you than me.

You see, there's a marathon of battles against troopers, and in order to conserve resources I don't revive CLOUD and Taft between fights.

I'm doing this on an emulator you know. If this fight wiping me meant I had to retry Carry Armor, well, I might've vomited.

I've beaten Ozma at level 1 at FF9 on console, okay? I deserve some loving breaks.

Thank gently caress we can not kill the last few guys. EXP gain spared!

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I just sorta launch torpedoes relentlessly and get the huge materia anyway!?

Finally, unqualified success! No failure, no exploits!

Immediately I head for the Gelkina. Some of the loot here will make the rest of my life significantly easier.

The rooms are short enough I can usually get through without a random encounter, and even then Escape is my new favorite spell.

Full recovery to the entire party! It'll be handy eventually.

I like elemental immunities, even if they don't come up that often from here on.

Now this is the real beaut here, especially when combined with the next chest.

So yes here's your confirmation that I'm getting Yuffie eventually.

The timing's very tactical I assure you.

Badass new sword for CLOUD makes his magic attack look like a real stat for late disc 2!

And that's all we can get. No Hades or Highwind, as Turks are in the way. Turks who are worth experience, and this fight not being mandatory means I am honor-bound to flee in cowardice and never improve unless I absolutely have to.

So tune in next time for-

gently caress

Actual next time: SPACE MADNESS

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Schwartzcough posted:

And I'd forgotten you hadn't gotten Yuffie yet, OFS. It seems like getting optional characters (whose level is determined by the rest of your team's level) early in a LLG would be the way to go, so they could soak up EXP throughout the game instead of coming in at a higher level anyway without having contributed to the cause. But verifying this would take research and math, so meh.

The problem is, if I get Yuffie, that's one more character in reserve getting half EXP. I got enemy skills when the party was at the smallest it would be for that reason. The timing of Yuffie's recruitment ensures she misses the absolute largest mandatory EXP yield in the game. If she were already recruited, that's another 17,500 EXP I have to manage on top of the 3 already and the 35000 for the person who actually delivers the killing blow.

Thing is, Yuffie joins at the same level as the Mystery Ninja you fight, and there's six of those depending on Cloud's level. After I get that massive EXP blob CLOUD is level 29, which puts him just short of the 4th Mystery Ninja tier.

I realized, after looking this deep into it, that CLOUD could've been the other corpse for the massive EXP blob, sit at 22, and go a tier lower for Mystery Ninja, but then you haven't seen how many EXP bars are within pixels of brushing a new level.

quote:

I imagine it would be a lot of "Have Freya spam Dragon's Crest. Have everyone else healing statuses and reviving."

It's more "Freya, Zidane, and Quina use fixed 9999 damage attacks, Eiko tosses the Dark Matter then Gyshal Greens and Ethers, hope Curse doesn't happen." The battle is extremely lethal and extremely fast, and healing is pointless. Most of Ozma's tricks don't really matter at level 1 with fixed damage or because I've negated them. All that's left are Berserk wasting turns and loving with her ATB, and Curse and Meteor which are assured party wipes. I have the one Auto-Life ability and whatever Rebirth Flames I'm lucky to get. Reviving anyone outside of those is a waste. Eiko's better off flinging Holies for 3000 damage than trying to actually revive someone, though that can proc the Curaga counter. Oh well let no one tell you I'm not a risk-taker.

It's not nearly as hard as the escape from Alexandria in disc 2. Nothing is.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TravelLog posted:

What makes this so bad in particular? Is this the Beatrix section?

Between one save point and the next is the Beatrix fight, where an enemy that's faster than you consistently one-shots your characters and can leave you on the back foot until you run out of stuff and lose; fights with Bandersnatches with Beatrix wherein she needs to Elixir herself then get a Climhazard off while the Bandersnatches can Sleep her which is usually fatal to attempts; Type-C black mages which are extremely brutal and if I didn't game the auction house for a Reflect Ring would end a couple of attempts by reducing the party to stains that Vivi has to Stop; then repeat those a couple of times. There's like six or seven battles between save points and like the third Bandersnatch one with Beatrix is the only one that's not insanely fatal because then she has the HP to tank a hit or two.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

One thing I was surprised of, wouldn't you get a lower average level by dumping all the mandatory XP into the same char rather than spreading around? I mean that char would end up fairly high level but everyone else would be materially lower given the exp scaling, wouldn't they?

Part of the point of the challenge is that the team's average level is so low because no one is particularly high. If I dumped all the EXP on one person then it just becomes an oddly restricted solo game. And the average wouldn't be that hit because the difference between 30k and 60k experience is actually only five or six levels. :v:

Kaasen posted:

OFS, what makes doing a LLG worth it to you?

It's half proving that I can, using technique and knowledge to trump raw numbers, and half trying to get something new out of the game. I've done so many SCCs and 4JFs for FF5 because doing the game normally is so mundane at this point.

Though considering one of the things I've done with FF5 is a Berserker SCC I think I may have gone too far.

And in FF7 LLG's defense, I went waaaaaay too far with the stealing. I had over 90k gil at the end of disc 2, which is over a hundred ethers too many that I pinched. Same with how many Right Arms are sitting in the inventory worthless now that I have Comet, Freeze, and Double-Cut.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zebrin posted:

Truly, you are a man who loves tedium... seriously, a SCC berserker run? The game almost plays itself!

I quit it because it did play itself. All I could do was increase levels and try to run the program until that one elusive RNG seed finally showed up. And it wouldn't be as funny to post about as Sandworm ever was.

And, yeah, tedium and I have a very long and complicated relationship.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The guy did Limbo of the Lost and Dirge of Cerberus. He's done enough for five LPers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Grizlor posted:

Or like, the sun being inches from your face would probably do more than 7000 damage :supaburn:

code:
 Magical Attack
    Formula: HP%
    Pwr: [Target's HP * 15 / 16]
It literally can't kill you.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'm stealing the stairs for the LLG :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

whitehelm posted:

There are at least 2 stairs options (City of Ancients, Shinra building) so voters should probably specify which they mean.

I'm kidnapping the shinra stairs, if that's not clear.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

IIRC there's some evidence on this screen that hint it was the original setting of Aeris's death. Not the image itself, but, like, its movement collision and music, or something.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The White Dragon posted:

The structure of the story was probably the same and it sounds like OFS more means "it has the same camera flags as the City of the Ancients" in that it was going to be the original screen where the scene took place and the meteor section was somewhere else entirely. It does look really City of the Ancients already, lots of trees and crystals.

No, I mean Aeris might've been slated to get stabbed at the Crater but they thought better of it. The only evidence is that screen's metadata and Aeris having a line at the Great Glacier. If there was a change, it was relatively early on given the lack of development artifacts and how smoothly the story goes afterwards.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Somehow I had missed this thread for about 700 posts. I thought it expired, not that it somehow just avoided my sight for so long. I might be able to toss together an LLG update, since the next bit I want to do in one swoop.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 22, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Last time, fuckin' Carry Armor ruined attempts by using Lapis Laser in the fuckin' AI setup.

So uh Rocket Town stuff is next.

I took this screenshot over two years ago and I don't think it made sense then either.

Clispaeth is the designated exp-getter because this is his rocket, dammit! Also I don't think he's been designated exp getter in forever.

Remember when I picked up all those elixirs in great glacier? Good times, man. I like being able to sling 'em.

Rude is not hard, per usual. Like most fights at this point he's only dangerous in that you have to down two party members to minimize EXP gains.

I think this sequence ends Clispaeth's tenure as a party member forever, unless I use him in the final dungeon for shits and/or giggles.

So then CLOUD and Clispaeth became the first living beings to go into space.

And Taft became the first well-preserved corpse.

Hey, if I can get shinies without getting exp, I will get shinies.

So, yeah, space events, etc. this is a screenshot to establish the narrative so the subsequent ones are contextualized.

CLOUD has his beautiful gown and accessories and his radical snowboard on his person still, by the way.

You guys sabotaged 3/4 of it, assholes.

"We went into space with it next to the panties for reasons. Space reasons."

Bahamut-ZERO will not be featured in this LP as he was the huge materia on the train.

I think if you miss any of the huge materia, it removes them in a set order, but I don't like missing things even if they are nonsense like Bahamut-ZERO, so it's only conjecture.

Being able to rename characters and the weird rules around possessives of nouns ending in s do not get along.

This is another screenshot to establish the narrative so that the audience knows I did this. My evidence is that CLOUD is in all capitals.

Finding it is more annoying than dangerous, though in the LLG that just means I don't have to knock off two members of the team for a little bit.

So yeah we discover that Aerated did something with all those levels she got in disc 1.

Everyone but Taft outlevels her now, by the way. That character juggling was meaningful I swear.

Warning: this name is cannon.

Then this fucker shows up. I wish he didn't.

"No one since I received no experience for the event, I suppose, unlike that time you guys cracked an icicle, for which I was not present."

But I don't want to fight it!

After getting to this point, Diamond WEAPON stops dead in its tracks, probably to catch its breath. It jogged all the way here from the northern continent!

The Diamond WEAPON plan is Trine, Trine, Trine, Trine! Trine. Diamond is weak to Lightning, and our best source of lightning is Trine. With 30,000 HP exactly, Diamond's immune to Sense.

Yoinkara. Not sure why but I've got nothing better to do between Trines.

Diamond WEAPON is not particularly dangerous. Just two single-target attacks and a silencing percentile move it'll never use because I am not using summons or limits.

This is why I didn't want to fight Diamond WEAPON. This is the single largest lump of mandatory experience in the entire game. Fourth or Fifth largest in the game as a whole, IIRC.

It's enough to give CLOUD seven levels by itself. This is the last EXP he will ever receive, though 29 is not exactly whining baby power levels.

And then Diamond dies, its greatest crime already committed.

The way to Sephiroth, to save the world, is open.

Obviously, it's time to gently caress around in the woods.

Mysterious Ninja is not particularly hard, considering mid 20s is Nibelheim levels.

So yeah I bother to get her after the largest lump of exp is over and done with. She's got important work to do.

Sadly, her full name is too long for the entry screen.

So, affectionate nickname.

Besides being far more powerful than the rest of our poo poo, the Conformer has a special effect in that its multiplier is related to the enemy's level. Specifically, it is set to the enemy's level, where 16 would be the normal x1 multiplier. Against Carry Armor, for example, it'd have a x2.8 multiplier, rounded. Given this is the late game, everything is above level 50 and thus really get knocked around. Throw it together with Dobule Cut and the enemies really get pounded.

NEXT TIME: the great ninja Yuckie vs. the last mandatory exp!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The Conformer overrides a lot of multipliers with its level-based one actually. I'm not sure how far it goes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

VagueRant posted:

I wish OFS had videos of the boss fights. I can't wrap my brain around how he's getting through them with so little HP. It's one thing to get the highlights and basic strategy, but the blow-by-blow and the long game?

Notice CLOUD's barrier gauges, as I'm frequently using Big Guard. He's also in the back row and protected from fire. The base damage wasn't that high either; if CLOUD somehow had no defenses whatsoever he'd only lose about half of his health. Only Diamond's physical could hurt, which helps as magic damage being diminished only by Spirit really hurts at low levels as your characters naturally have low Spirit. That's why Lapis Laser was so deadly, besides hitting twice as hard as anything Diamond does.

The bosses in this game aren't particularly fatal most of the time and those that are can usually be resisted.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I overprepared like hell because my previous LLG was FF9 and I expected something like that in terms of characters surviving. CLOUD is significantly sturdier than Zidane, and strategies aren't so based around not dying miserably as much as trying to win before the next ice age.

If you can stand an initial steal-fest at the train graveyard for Ethers and fetching about 30 or 40 right arms at Mt. Corel then you've got most of it covered. Just, it isn't that exciting anyway unless you're someone like me who likes to push their JRPGs really far. Since you're still gaining levels it isn't that drastically different than a normal playthrough. The level 1 game in 9, though frustrating as hell in places, is so removed from a normal playthrough that it has that novelty going for it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RaspberryCommie posted:

I heard that it was supposed to be Basch but when they focus grouped it, teenage girls said they didn't want to play as an older guy.

But they didn't mind Vaan and his crazy abs.

No wonder Matsuno had a nervous breakdown.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LJN92 posted:

A movie where they introduce the cameraman to the audience, give him some basic relevance to what's going on and then dump it in the middle is one weird movie.

Welcome to corporate decisions infringing on Matsuno's brilliant vision.

The vision being sticking worldbuilding behind chocobo massacres and blurring the line between Star Wars homages and rip-offs.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Yeah I didn't mean "hero's journey" I meant "person from desert place lives under imperial rule after said empire killed their loved ones and goes on a quest of self-discovery that culminates in the destruction of the empire's superweapon." Beyond that there's visuals like Giruvegan that are more or less lifted from Star Wars. It's crazy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

NikkolasKing posted:

Midgar was good but I just don't see why it's so beloved compared to otehr parts.

It has an atmosphere not really found very often. Take, for example, the sector 5 slums.

It's a shanty town made of rusting scrap metal or repurposed vehicles. All the lighting is artificial, the ground is stone or bare dirt. Most importantly, note the bare girders and the caution tape. Shinra built over this place, and forgot all about it. Yet, the people go on, struggling to survive. The music, Underneath the Rotting Pizza, adds to the mood of filth, decay, and struggling. It's cyberpunk as hell.

I mean, compare Kalm.

If it weren't for the occasional pipe or boiler, this'd be a generic high fantasy town. Ahead on Our Way doesn't have near the mood to it, either. None of the towns after Midgar have the grime that makes Midgar so unique.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rirse posted:

Think the only one that sorta come close is the coal town, since probably suppose to look rundown due to the town being screwed over by Shrina.

I wish we spent more time here to cement the mood, but the screen is little more than a gate to Gold Saucer. There are people living in tents who sit in lawn chairs. That's all they have. What to a middle-class person is something they keep in their garage for pretty weekends is everything to a person from North Corel.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DeathChicken posted:

And then you *ran it over with a train*, you monster.

You know what's worse than cyberpunk class exploitation? Levels. :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

swamp waste posted:

I thought that scene right at the beginning with Aeris and the "Loveless" marquee was on top of the plate. It looks like a regular, more or less realistic, modern city. it's not utopian but it's not built out of garbage or haunted by mutant ghosts either so it has that over the slums.

e: yeah it is, everything up to the train escape is on top of the plate

This is after the reactor not too far away just loving exploded, and it's hard to get a feel besides the panic that caused.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Amano's stuff for the NES and SNES games was really crazy too. We just never got it in its full majesty until Dissidia decided to be faithful to those designs.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Booties posted:

Wait, is this an actual character? I thought this was an approximation of the average FF character design, or a combination of all the best features into one body.

Here's his introduction scene. Nooj is in fact a real character.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sade posted:

I wouldn't discourage anyone from LPing this game because I love it, but The White Dragon's FFIX LP was pretty definitive.

Elentor can do a level 1 playthrough of the game! You don't mind tearing your hair out watching a fork fail to petrify a dude for three hours, right?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Five is a ridiculous meandering adventure where the main party causes most of the problems

It's significantly different tonally than the rest, besides 9. Those two are less melodramatic and a lot more light-hearted than the rest. It's kind of unfair to judge their stories by the same metrics as they never get as heavy.

On an entirely different note, I think 10's story is helped by its linear progression. You start at Besaid and go north because that's what people do on pilgrimages, it's what they've been told. Along the way the party keeps getting more and more doubts, both due to the events unfolding around them and the clash of Tidus being an idealistic outsider with the fatalists around him. But still they go north, as it's what they're supposed to do. It's only at the end of the pilgrimage when the most important thing they've been told is a lie do they throw off the tradition - and the game world opens up as well.

Gosh if I could skip its cutscenes 10 would be a lot better. It's got some of the best-made bosses in JRPGs.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

These enemies, Manholes, can be Berserked despite lacking a designated move to use during Berserk. As a result they try to read wrong data and end up using a move that costs 32,768 MP. Manholes have 110 MP.

Also the Aegis Armlet has 50% Magic Evasion, but no special damage-reducing properties.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Schwartzcough posted:

Doesn't Magic Evasion (or is it Magic Defense) not do anything, due to a bug?

Armor's magic defense doesn't work, so a character's magic defense stat is purely their Spirit stat. Besides that as, a means of reducing magical damage it functions perfectly fine.

Magic Evasion has no problems, but since it's boosted by armor only, and even then only the Aegis Armlet, Mystile, Ziedrich, and Chocobracelet have meaningful magic evasion stats, it's rare to see it in action.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dis astranagant posted:

Is there any real reason to use anything but Mystile once you get it?

The Escort Guard and Minerva Band have elemental immunities that might be handy, and the Ziedrich halving all elements makes it a reliable option. There's also things like the Gigas Armlet and the Fourth Bracelet boosting stats. Can't forget the Wizard Bracelet's eight linked slots, either. There are also quite a few high-end attacks that can't miss. All three of Diamond WEAPON's attacks have 255% accuracy, for example.

As a general purpose armor for random encounters, though, no, not much beats the Mystile.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MR. J posted:

So what would the move do if they actually had that much MP?

Not really sure; it and the other five enemies with this problem don't have anywhere near the MP necessary and you can't heal them past their normal max. I imagine the effects would be quite arbitrary, though, as they're reading data that shouldn't be move data.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yukari posted:

Wasn't there a way to get the W-Item materia without having to get it in Midgard?

Like nearly everything else that is theoretically missable you can dig it up in Bone Village.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

counterfeitsaint posted:

One of them watched 20 years of anime, that's like, the equivalent of a college degree on Japanese linguistics.

I have a Ph.D in anime, does that count for something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Which of course were used to make another game.

I loved the hell out of FFXIII-2 simply because I could have chocoventures with a wide variety of chocobos, who were all pretty high-tier contenders in their respective roles.

the other two parts of the trilogy do not offer chocoventures and thus do not interest me.

• Locked thread