Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Which version are you playing, the ps1 or pc version?

I actually had the pc version given to me a long time ago and its apparently got a ton of mods though(most of them are terrible)

One really awesome mod for those who love the soundtrack: get the ff7music mod for the pc version , and download the remastered ost.

Hell if you're just playing the psx version and love the music give the remastered ost a try. you can really hear a difference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8NGDsnv34M
regular version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqdjKCKjNjY
remastered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Amidiri posted:

But all the stuff in the Nibelheim flashback was in the Mt. Nibel reactor! I mean, I think so. It's been a while since I've played. But it makes sense.

he was having ptsd flashbacks. in fact, most of the messed up crazy stuff involving cloud is referencing all the events we see inside his head.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Dyz posted:

A sword that long is stupidly pointless. You'd need a ton of room just to swing it, and holding such a long blade with a small handle would cause some balance issues. But hey, it's a Final Fantasy game. The people selling the 68" one probably just don't want their buyers to hurt themselves.

I always figured sephiroth's sword was one of these things, meaning he's wielding a loving anti-Calvary sword like it weighed as much as a dagger. I presume they did this along with clouds giant buster sword to show just how incredibly strong members of SOILDER are supposed to be. Its just that now that everyone copies the giant weapon poo poo that no one even thinks about it anymore.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

tarepanda posted:

They still do. It's a Japanese thing. Birthdays let you look at horoscopes for that person, and blood types are supposed to hint at personalities, etc.

If you look at something like Hatsune Miku, a fictional singer/synthesizer, even that has a blood type and birthday.

when I first went through the manual for the pc version, I was pretty surprised to see one of the characters having the same birthday as me. That character was my ended up being my favorite and i thought that was the coolest thing that they had the same birthday I had. (no, I won't say which character it is)

I was an easily impressed kid.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yes, it was the Scan ability.
ima ssuiming the games came out before the site so this is awesome.

i really need to get aroudn to playing smt sometime. Everyone says how great they are.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

David Corbett posted:

Ah, the Phantasy Star technique.

Even then they still stick ra- and gi- on their spells, they just use them as a prefix instead

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

the spell "XXXX" was popular for a time, but no one under 18 could cast it.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Dauntasa posted:

I'd say play War of the Lions if you happen to have a PSP lying around. The YE OLDE ENGLISHE speak gets a bit irritating, but I like it better than the original's horrible Engrish.

War of the lions supposedly has some horrible lag from what was mentioned in the last FFT LP. you can also get the original ps1 version for your psp on psn as well, supposedly with less lag if the special features don't matter to you

as for the psp port of ff4, its pretty well made if you don't mind the different looking sprites,including all the bonus content from the gba version.Interlude is boring and incredibly short, and the after years....yeah...

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Himuro posted:

Dq9 and 8

2nding this, as not only do these games do adventuring well, they have some amazing characters and atmopshere. The composer for the dragon quest series makes some amazing works that are really good at setting the mood. The soundtrack for Dragon Quest VIII is honestly one of my favorite soundtracks.

And I always found the battles to be about twice as fast compared to final fantasy 8, as most of the attack animations are kept pretty simple and quick. When I got the FFXII demo with the game, I tried it after playing a bit of dq and all I could think of was how loving long it took for each character to just swing their weapon.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 6, 2011

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Elentor posted:

Sad thing is, I'm really not. I don't know what it is with this game that makes people level up a lot. I've seen people leaving Midgar at level 20, killing Midgar Zolom at level 30. You won't be getting the level 2 spells before level 20-24, and at the boat you're assumed to have them.
When I was playing though this game cloud was just getting his 2nd level of limit breaks after this ship segment, so you've obviously grinded a lot more then I did. Maybe I was just extremely underleveled but even with most of my character using their basic limits i never had any trouble with this game.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I never took the treasure because the birds are cute and the planet is dying Cloud. :(

Those chicks already have their own down, what do they need a phoenix's for? Screw the birds.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

What thread is this again? Something about magic energies, black cloaked evil guys, bad hair...
So this is the kingdom hearts 2 thread right?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

I just thought she was an ugly poorly rendered model. v:v:v

readingatwork posted:

You have NO idea... :3:
its amazing how meta that line could be taken. I still see people with Sephiroth worshiping stuff in their forum signatures to this day (im guessing dissidia was what made all the new 12 year olds into seph fans, or I just believe that so i don't have to think about the alternative. )

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Elentor posted:

Glad you guys enjoyed it and glad you got the references.

I've had it for a long, long while now. I've had the 3-1s since around Junon, just watch the other boss videos. From 3-1 to 3-2 is just a step.

Im amazed with how fast you're getting these limits. I don't think I even got finishing touch on cloud until the 2nd disk. Usually I have cloud just gaining his 2nd levels of limit breaks right before gold saucer.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Why do ~*~ORCHESTRATED~*~ versions always remove all original charm from the track and make it sound like everything else ever :argh:
Well, not always. This is certainly the case, though. Oh great, soft piano piece #45372-B72, §A66A. Just what i wanted, how did you know, phoenixrisemusic.

Where are the croaking, wooden drums? Where's my harpsichord, motherfucker?
(Or whatever that midi instrument was originally supposed to be)

there's always the remastered version

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

I remember installing ff7 for the pc and the install wizard just runs through art images featuring every character in the game, as the installation was finally started on downloading files to your pc it showed this.

Holy poo poo he's got a claw and climbs on roofs and has an awesome red cape i wanna play as him! was pretty much what my 12 year old self was thinking at the time.
upon getting Vincent in the game later on, I would set up my team as cloud/tifa/Vincest for the rest of the game and never changed unless i had to. I remember trying other characters but kept defaulting back to vincent because his limit breaks were fun to watch, he could kill enemies really easily with magic and he was awesome. I also remember giving him deathblow, which worked pretty well.

I do remember having a weird glitch in the pc game with him, where when all 3 party members are shown talking, Vincent's model would glitch out where one leg would just bend straight up into the air, like he was frozen in a ballerina pose.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 10, 2011

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

I think if they made each character's stat differences more unique, and gave eac character a unique innate ability/trait, beyond just limit brakes, so that they all arent just blank slates with attack/item, it would have been a perfect system where you still have to adapt to your character's ability, but you can still just pick who you like and set them up if you want them filling another role. This would work even better if there was some more stat boosting and support materia, so you could actually build your character's abilities.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

The limit system has a lot more than just "Character A hits for 3 damage, Character B hits for 4, therefore always take Character B."
Prety much was for me, Barret's first limits were meh, Red's LImits were meh, Tifa killed things more so she got better limits that helped her kill even more things which was pretty much why I used her and I literally never had any of Red's limit past the first one.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 15, 2011

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Materia keeper is one of the greatest dick moves this game loves to throw at you, Since it happens immediately after you get vincent, and they deliberately planned it so his limit break would heal the boss. One thing not really obvious though, is that vincent's hp goes up a bit when he's transformed, so killing him to stop it is even harder.

It could just be the developers trying to teach you not to spam his limit and rely on his awesome magic more (the dragon random encounter is also resistant to fire), but it seems just as likely they just wanted to be assholes about it.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

George posted:

It seems more likely that the decision to make his limit breaks the elements they are was independent of where you get Vincent and where the bosses were. It's arguable that they figured you'd be coming back for Vincent.
Except there really isn't any other reason for Materia Keeper to be healed by fire,especially when it uses trine, a lighting element attack. It seems like a deliberate thing to me.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Elentor posted:

Also, raising/evolving Chaos on Sonic Adventure 2 :cry: It was the most painful thing in the world.
It wasnt so bad, I just wished the fuckers didnt take so long to breed and reincarnate. collecting chaos drives to max out thier stats was relatively painless in comparison.

chao and chocobos are about the simpliest things to raise as far as virtual creatures go, you just shove their face full of stat boosts until they max out.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 9, 2012

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Maybe I should start progressing some time soon, huh?

you used emulator speed up for this right?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

I can see how the FFIII and FFIV remakes were worse than the original games, but the FFI remake? Since when was it a bad thing to make your game actually work?
People tend to dislike it because it went from the difficult game where your strongest spell gets only one cast before you need to heal, to black mages who literally have more MP then they do HP and you can get stuff like a staff in a bonus dungeon that grants infinite casts of flare.

not that magic matters for bosses, because all your mages will be doing is spamming temper on your warrior so he can do several thousand damage per swing.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

This is true as well. But Summon materia are useful for...Uh...

Status immunities? Or something. Hell, I don't know.

Summan materia gives huge magic boosts and strength penalties, so its good to stack if you just want to just nuke things with beta even harder.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Vincent is a character you pretty much only use for his gimmick. Unfortunately his gimmick involves taking away your attack command during fights if you don't want to use it. The developers seemed to realize this, giving him a gun that gives 100% hit deathblows and a high magic stat to compensate.

Design wise It seemed like Vincent and Cid should have switched weapons; Cid would have worked better with a pistol. Vincent, the character with a shiny claw gauntlet and turns into a violent brute beserker, seems out of place just standing at a distance using small guns compared to his limits.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

ddegenha posted:

Let's just say that it wasn't a coincidence that Aeris has an easier time than anyone else getting her limits and that she gets her ultimate weapon far, far earlier than anyone else for a reason.

and why her final limit was making you immortal, because you don't get to keep it. If you don't use that item to give her her final limit however, it will sit in your inventory until the end, a reminder of what happened.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

we got an emoticon for that now apprently :thejoke:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Elentor posted:

Haha this is an amusing talk.

But then again, electric Chocobo inseminator or horrible Shinra mutated experiment? THAT'S THE QUESTION.
Nonsense, I'm pretty sure those creations don't have a soul.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

GrizzlyCow posted:

You could always have a villain-protagonist. If you do that, you can make the player experience the character's descent into darkness. If done well, it should garner up sympathy for them, and of course, maybe make the player himself recoil with horror as you do more and more evil poo poo with maybe a flimsy justification for it.

Warcraft 3's Human campaign was basically this. You watch Arthas take more and more drastic measures to stop someone until he just finally snaps and goes full-evil.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

swamp waste posted:

So maybe that accounts for the disconnect in fans' perception, that in one way he's strongly playing to a "type" they're familiar with and in another he's completely unlike it?
A lot of Characters of this game follow a theme of having an appearance and putting up a front that completely different from how they actually are.

Barret is big, tough, swears a lot and replaced his fake hand with a goddamn machine gun, but he is emotional, Cares a lot for his teammates, and wants to be a good father to Marlene. Cloud acts in control but is really unstable,Aeries is an innocent flower girl yet likes to tease and flirt, Red tries to act mature but is just a young teen etc. Almost all of the main characters in this story try to pretend to be something they aren't, and are trying really hard to hide their uneasiness about the situation and their own problems.

The character designers did too good a job, and all the people who didn't pick up or remember all this stuff when they played this as kids are still fooled by it years later.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

So.

Today I finally caved in and bought the rerelease. After some wrangling with getting registered, I managed to get it running pretty smoothly. Only glaring problem I'm noticing is lowered music quality... Which brings me to my question.

I remember seeing somewhere in this thread something about a fan-made patch that plugs in the PS1 audio. Unfortunately... I'm currently searching frantically through the thread, but I can't for the life of me seem to find the relevant posts. :sigh: If anyone would mind helping me by directing me/posting the information, I would very greatly appreciate it.

Also: Thanks, Elentor, for giving me the motivation to actually go and buy this game. Even though I already know all of the major plot twists (I.E. Aeris/th dying and... Well... Ones that'll be coming up shortly), it's still quite something else to be playing this game. Already I've used the earlier segments of your LP for reference on stuff I might've missed.

It was a soundfont that came for the original ff7, since it played actual midifiles. It wont work with this one which just plays mp3s of the midis. there was another mod for the other pc version called ff7 music that could let you replace the sound with alternate soundtracks, but no guarantee it will even work on the new pc version ( I doubt it).

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

All you really need to do to make Gau the most overpowered thing ever is to make sure you fight a Stray Cat during Sabin's route. Then Jump it with Gau and watch as he starts doing thousands of damage with Cat Scratch. And then it just keeps getting better as his damage increases and you find stuff like the Genji Glove and Offering to make him hit eight times a turn...

Well yeah if you want to be boringly efficient. Half the fun is randomly selecting rages and watching him decimate the enemy regardless.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

I used Tifa for limits and Vincent because I was a kid and Mog was my favorite in ff6, so I was completely used to being hosed over by elemental berserkers.

Silver Falcon posted:

That makes Jenova a truly excellent villain! Oh, and incidentally, Sephiroth didn't kill Aeris; Jenova did.
And in true Japan tradition, it was a tentacle monster that assulted her.

I am never going to take that scene seriously now.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

After having sephiroth fly around, murder people, and constantly talk crazy about the planet and Jenova, its just so jarring to see him just casually talk to Cloud and Tifa about how nice their photo turned out. Sephiroth never really felt like he never had any personality to me, so this whole thing seems just out of place.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

I think it doesn't really work when she's just stabbed in the chest and immediately dead. And the phoenix down thing just being ignored feels half-assed when both 4 and 5 had characters use healing items and spells on characters outside of battle, and where game mechanics were part of a central plot in ff6.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

What makes this so unsettling is that its Cloud, who's been the player character up to this point. Cloud is the one you've been controlling going through dungeons, picking his dialogue choices, and reenacting his flashbacks. Seeing the character that has essentially been your avatar in the gameworld end up like that, is certainly a bit distrubing.

It's also a twist in that it starts out like Crono's resurrection in CT or playing as Jeff in Earthbound, in which you play a side character going off to rescue the hero. Only you find out is that you cant save the hero, and now even the side character you were playing as has given up and left too.

Really crushes any feeling of security you may have had remaining after the game permanently killed off a party member.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 13, 2013

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Mideel's got a clinic, right? It's a health spa/resort people go to reduce their free radicals and get their colon cleansed and their chi realigned.

Lifestream is really good at getting out all those toxins.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Valiantman posted:

I'm not sure why you people obsess over Cloud surviving. Didn't you notice what a surfboard for a sword just went through Sephiroth moments before?

Remember from the flashback that we've seen both thier stats, and flashback cloud was a lvl 1 pussy killed by everything while Sephiroth was a level 50 literally invincible endgame supersoilder. So Cloud stabs him and well of course he's unfazed he prolly did 1hp damage, but then Seph stabs Cloud and its how the gently caress are you still alive and-oh holy poo poo.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Elentor posted:

It would in a world where people's adrenaline can make them pretty much fly, unleash energy from their hands/weapons and is acknowledged within the very game universe as something that exists. Not to mention, yea, people who take bullets to their face and live like usual.

Out of all the things you have to nitpick in a game with Fantasy in the name, this, really?

I guess its hard to stretch the suspension of disbelief when the other major event people tend to remember involves someone else getting stabbed with the same exact sword in the same abdominal area and dying instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

David Corbett posted:

By far, the most egregious crime the PC-MIDI soundtrack committed has not yet been shown in this thread.

Vague end-game music spoilers ahoy. I first played FFVII for the PC. I got to the end of the game, beat it, and everything was fine. Imagine my shock when I later discovered that the final boss theme actually had a chorus! Yes, the chorus is left entirely out of the PC version. This omission robs the tune of a lot of its charm. I don't think that the new PC version fixes this rather serious problem.

Just checked, and nope, its the year 2013 and square enix couldn't be assed to use something other then loving Midi music for the port.

• Locked thread