Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

SteadfastMeat posted:

The first time I saw this game in a shop I decided to buy Ape Escape instead. I maintain I made the correct decision

I got this for like £4 second hand, and it was pretty good. I wouldn't have wanted to buy it for full price or anything but for how cheap it was I'm not gonna complain too badly. It might not be anywhere near as amazing as the insane fans make it out to be, but it's not terrible either.

...Okay, most of the good bits are the music and the combat but some of the sidequests are decent too. I wouldn't want to grind Cloud and Barret to the max level in the Mako Reactor or anything, but I do have part of a perfect file that I should finish at some point (if the actual gameplay wasn't decent I wouldn't even think of trying this... in hindsight, I probably wouldn't either). gently caress getting natural max HP and/or MP though; that poo poo's way too goddamn tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Elentor posted:

You can't get ALL of them, but enough to break the game until you can.

You might not be able to get all of a character's Limit Breaks right away (with a few exceptions depending on how you do it), but you can get all but their last limit from the instant you acquire them. It doesn't take that long to do either. Heck, in some cases you don't even need that last one to use them to their fullest.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I don't see how that's any more of a spoiler than the other posts.

You explicitly mentioned an event that doesn't occur until at least halfway through the second disc. It's not something most people know about even if they haven't played the game, unlike some other things, and it's kind of a surprise when you are playing it yourself. That's wee bit more of a spoiler than "Cloud isn't sad" when you can see that pretty easily in the first update.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Phyein posted:

Although I've noticed in a recent game I started that occasionally big shot in particular deals double the damage on certain enemies. I'm guessing it's fire elemental maybe and I was hitting weak to fire enemies?

I'd expect that it's Shoot element and you were hitting something to that instead. Yes, "Shoot" is an element; just like how Tifa's attacks are Punch element and Cloud's are Cut element. The game never tells you about these directly, but when you check enemy weaknesses, you sometimes spot them that way.

E; What Elentor said works too, but I think that it's only used for specific spells.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Namtab posted:

Barret is secretly English.
The line should read "Bollocks!! You lucky bugger!"

If he was really English, it'd be wanker in the last slot. That's what I read it as anyway.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Don't you get some fancy poo poo item (Materia, maybe?) if you run all the way to the back of this tunnel? I remember the first time I played this game, I had to disembark early and I ended going backwards and getting something, but I may be misremembering.

If you go to the complete other end of this tunnel, you get a never ending supply of battles against a few guards. You're thinking of the end of disc 2.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Aerith as an anagram of "I Earth" is, honestly, kind of stupid (and by kind of, I mean incredibly). Aeris is a much better name to find an anagram for, since there's two that make much, much more sense; "raise" and "arise." The fact that they're both the old translated names for the Life spells doesn't hurt either.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I hate you for posting this, because now all I have been thinking about since the update is what other bosses fit. I can think of three others besides Aps, but I can't figure out the fifth, and I don't want to look it up until I think I have them all. This is going to drive me nuts for the rest of the night. I'm sure I' forgetting the most obvious one too, because sometimes my brain just likes to piss me off like that.

Off-hand, I can only think of 3 (maybe all 4, but I'm not too sure) other than Aps that fit but it's been ages since I last played and I think for one of them the random encounters only start after the fight so it probably doesn't count. The most obvious one is Materia Keeper, and I think another equally obvious two would be a pair of optional bosses. For reference, the other three I can think of are Red Dragon, RW and Lost Number. E; Actually if the second one would count then so too should DW and arguably UW which would make it 6 or even 7 total so I don't even loving know which ones are right and which ones aren't. Maybe RW and UW are wrong on account of being optional but that would discount Lost Number too... (spoiler tagged stuff is just boss names, most of which don't mean anything even in context. The ones that might be actual proper spoilers are abbreviated so unless you know them already they're still meaningless)

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 10, 2011

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

VietTam posted:

I have encountered Birth as an ambush before. UW and RW wouldn't count because of how you have to encounter them, and I don't think Red Dragon counts because there are no encounters enabled in the room when you fight him, only after.

Other than that those are the exact ones I thought of.

I wouldn't have expected Birth to be one but I barely even remember that at all. Can't say I've experienced any bosses as an ambush though, so I'm just going from memory at this point which doesn't say much. Red Dragon is the one I was thinking of with the encounters afterwards, though I don't stick around in that room and have only had a random in it maybe once or twice. I figured UW probably wouldn't count, but I thought RW almost definitely would. I suppose how you reach it is what stops it from counting.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Steal is super-important if you're, like me, an insane item collecting maniac. You need to keep Tifa KO'd for pretty much the entire game (and, yes, it must be Tifa for some reason) to keep her level low so you can get 99 of an item that you can only get by stealing from like 1 enemy.

Also Reno is my favourite boss fight in the early game. Dude needs a game where you're just him going around being awesome. Like Before Crisis, only without adding stupid things. Or being a Japan only phone game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's one of the few spells that don't have a working link with Quadra Magic; it's useless because of that :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Elentor posted:

The saddest thing is seeing how happy and naive young Jessie and Biggs are in this screenshot.

Run away you two :smith:

...Wow, I've never noticed that before. Now I feel really bad about it :smith:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

zenintrude posted:

:goonsay:

Why is that important?

Because "guns" and "shot" also have four letters!

Also;

Elentor, this is your fault. This is all your fault. Maybe this time I'll actually finish it!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Nope! You can't get Iron Bangles anywhere else, and that glitch only works for items you can use in battle, like the aforementioned Ghost Hands. No such luck for weapons/armour; gotta steal or buy 99 of them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Dauntasa posted:

So, there's an armour that you're only supposed to be able to get 2 of, but you can actually get 3 if you do a certain glitch. Does only having two count as 100%, since that's the most the designers intended you to get?

If you were just going for like 1 of everything or whatever then yeah, 2 would be fine I guess. I always get 3 though, because that way everyone I'm using can have one! Assuming I get that far for this attempt (last time I tried doing everything the hard way and gave up because of two items), there's no reason for this to change.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

This is why I love Hojo. He's just the embodiment of :science:

:v: Professor Hojo, we have the Ancient and the....dog thing ready. What should we do next?

MAKE THEM gently caress!

:v: What?

You heard me! We're saving endangered species by doing this!

Well, um, he didn't say it'd take over 100 years for nothing.

E; Oh, and for that guy who asked how long some of the stuff in that FAQ would take to do, well... er, I saved just outside Shinra HQ and my in-game clock at that point was at 12 hours. There's a good reason I don't count natural max hp/mp, because that's just incredibly crazy and spergy and ohgod I don't want to waste hundred upon hundreds of hours resetting for one goddamn level up.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 23, 2011

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Grinding for limits isn't that time-consuming once you have the All materia really (Cloud needs the highest body count but it's still only 440 total; that's pretty much nothing). Just attach it to any spell that isn't Cure and you're pretty much golden; one cast to wipe out an entire mob of dudes and you'll get 2-1 and 3-1 for a character in maybe 5-10 minutes. X-2 is a bit more annoying but it's still not bad since the amount of times you have to use X-1 goes down as the limit level goes up. Like, for Cross Slash you have to use Braver 8 times but for Climhazzard you just need to use Blade Beam 7. For every 3-2, it's either 6 or 5 uses depending on the character and that's faster than it sounds even though Level 3 Limits raise so slowly even with Fury at this stage; at least Hell House (random encounter in Sector 6) makes it go a lot faster.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I kinda like L4 Suicide since it's not MP intensive and if (when) it works then you've just won the fight then and there, regardless of what you're against. There's undeniably better stuff but I like it at least. I can't wait to learn some neat tricks that use enemy skills though!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

Also, why can't I un-equip someone, leaving their slots empty! ARGH!

I take it you want to remove an accessory from someone? Just press triangle. Can't do the same for armour, but that's why you keep a few trash ones around so the benched dudes don't hog all the good stuff.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Elentor posted:

you can swing it like a kitchen knife.

Man, now I really want to see what it'd be like if Sephiroth was ever on Hell's Kitchen.

Oh, and this is a really minor thing but to trigger the prompt to leave the cell on the 67th floor you don't need to talk to everyone; just Aeris.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I beat Rufus and Dark Nation in one shot. A mere Bolt2-All and the (awesome) fucker didn't know what hit him. :hellyeah:

Also, I love the escape scene. The way the music segues from the boss theme which continues from the start of the Rufus fight to partway through the scene at the entrance with Red, Barret and Aeries is just incredible.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 25, 2011

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

niebezimienny posted:

Someone said earlier on that you can't duplicate non-combat items. Au contraire:

Welp, looks like I'm now getting 99 of everything by the looks of it. Unless... is there any items/equipment that doesn't work on, or can it be done to everything?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Nope! That just gets you a gold chocobo. You can't open that chest, since it contains 2 dummied out key items for a scrapped sidequest. Or one of them for it or something. The thing I read about it didn't make it clear.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 26, 2011

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Elentor posted:

Possible? Yes. Highly unlikely though. You'll need Red XIII sitting at some 800 HP with Sadness, then Elixir him right after like there's no tomorrow.

That or Planet Protector. If you get Planet Protector early on, the rest of the game is a breeze.

Not to sound like a dick, but why would you do any of that other than the Sadness part? Sadness + Backrow (to minimise the damage from its physicals) + Elemental-Fire in armour makes it pretty much a breeze especially if you poison it with Bio since then the Zolom won't be all "haha gently caress you!" and remove your characters from battle if you so much as sneeze on it.

...Besides, I got Meteorain and Ungarmax before Reno and I still think Planet Protector that early is excessive :v:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 6, 2011

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Does that actually do anything though? I've only ever had it deal 0 damage and no ailments or anything. Am I just being dumb or is it literally useless?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Chocobuckle? It deals damage equal to the times you've ran.

So it's effectively useless then (aside from what you posted above I guess). At least that explains why I've never had it do anything; so long as I can help it, I never run from a fight. I'd rather fight a few fights pointlessly and maybe end up slightly overlevelled than struggle along because I ran from one too many.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

CmdtCarpenter posted:

And you're going to do as many side quests as you can, right? If so I pity you for doing Fort Condor cause that poo poo is ridiculous.

My favourite part of that is running back to it TWICE in the space of maybe 20 seconds of actual gameplay (having to get there with just Cloud isn't that big a deal at least).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

No mention of one of the Fort Condor prizes from this section being a bunch of Tinctures?

And the dolphin thing is really, really easy. Don't move, press square twice and you're done! (E: ^^^ wasn't there when I clicked reply :argh:)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Figaro posted:

Wait so why does Cait Sith have a Scottish accent in the FF7 film?

Because he's based on a mythological scottish cat fairy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Personally I've never been able to hit it correctly, so I don't know for sure what the actual score bonus is or where exactly on the Zeppelin it is. It seems like a fairly small hitbox where ever it is.

It flatout doesn't work in the PS1 version; it's probably bugged or something if it has points even if one of the two sources listing them sounds like it was written by a 12 year old, and the other is Brady Games. Alternatively, maybe it was editted out when they realised it would make getting the 5,000 points way too easy but then that makes you wonder why it was added back to the PC version. Given that it's this game, I'm assuming it's glitched and it should work but just doesn't.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Frocobo posted:

I'm perplexed at all these Ether speculations. Am I seriously the only person who simply thought that she was normal and that a single guy just happened to think "she looks funny"?

Not at all. It baffles me how you can go from "she may look kinda funny" to "has to be a man and/or a robot in a dress." I'm reasonably certain that if it was actually referencing anything other than either too much make up or a weird sense of fashion then it'd be mentioned more than once in an off-hand comment. Or be much more blatant (see: the gym at Wall Market).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Rufus cast Barrier on Dark Nation way back in Shinra HQ (for all the good that did) but I can't remember any other boss or regular enemy offhand that casts a buff. I'm sure there's one or two, because there just has to be, but I can't think of what they would be or if they even exist.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Much like everyone else, I'm sure, Materia Keeper kicked my rear end as a kid for the longest time. The big deal breaker for me with this fight wasn't the fire absorption (I had neither Beta nor Vincent) but that if his health drops low enough, or if it just plain feels like it, it can cast Cure2. As far as I remember, no boss up until this point can heal itself with Cure1 let alone Cure2. Even if I'm misremembering that, it's not like it matters since every boss aside from Lost Number beforehand is a total pisstake anyway.

And I distinctly remember skipping Mt Nibel in its entirety at one point. I'm not sure how, but I'm pretty sure that in one of my older playthroughs I got to the town and just... walking right past it. I'm certain that I'm not crazy and that this definitely happened because I remember being so happy that I skipped the Materia Keeper. Of course, giving it a quick search and nothing confirms that this is actually a thing that can happen.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 15, 2011

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

I remember when Advent Children came out, they made a little anime movie thing, I think it was called Before Crisis

That's Last Order; Before Crisis is the Japan only phone game where you play as the Turks.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Trasson posted:

Not quite. The Dark Aeons and such were added for the PAL release, and then Final Fantasy X International was rereleased in Japan with those features from the "international" releases added back in.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion when Final Fantasy X International was released before the PAL one; that's the sole reason the PAL version has all the bonus stuff (International was January 2002; PAL was May 2002). The same holds true for the Australian release.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

How on earth does it take six+ years to do a speedrun? And he's just halfway through the game. :psyduck:

Paradoxically, speedrunning a game efficiently might actually be the slowest way to play it. Because you're going to be redoing the same few minutes over and over and over again until you can press the X button a microsecond faster.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Sure, you arguably could in FF8, but nobody uses summons in that anyway, and even in FF9, the game tried to incentiveize buttonmashing through the whole goddamn thing.

You've got those backwards. FF8 has Boost which gave you extra damage in return for button mashing, whereas 9 was the first to have short animations. But having the shorter animations makes you deal less damage because Square hates you saving time.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Now that I think about it, it strikes me as weird that OFS isn't doing his chocobo stuff right now either. Getting Sneak Attack and pairing it with Exit seems like a natural and obvious thing to do for a low level challenge.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

MechaX posted:

Triple Triad was cool with standard rules. But when you get to poo poo rules like Random, Triple Triad can gently caress right off.

I didn't mind Random much, since I was only using level 8+ cards anyway so it gave me another reason to get rid of all the trash cards I had lying around unmodded still. Turned it into less "am I even going to be able to win" and more "how badly am I going to be able to wreck my opponent."

Same/Plus, however, are the ones I could do without especially in matches that don't have Open. They're still annoying with Open, but at least you can see potential matches and plan around them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I think that actually makes this game the best example of that. 4, 5 and 6 all have the same gimmick... but they only explain it after you gently caress up. Here, the mistranslation sort of works in its favour due to the way its timed. It tells you to attack, so you do, then it basically lets you know that its a bad idea and shows you why you shouldn't do that again. It's ultimately just an ATB gauge tutorial, but it also works as a tutorial to be careful and pay attention to the enemy too.

e; Actually having thought about it some more, I think that Ymir/Whelk tells you the full thing the first time he goes into the shell before you can attack too.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 5, 2013

• Locked thread