Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Not to fuel that spoiler fire, but I think it worked a lot better than the letter in Nibelheim. When I got to that point in the LP, I think if they dropped something more subtle it woulda helped the hell out of the atmosphere. Or at least waited until a bit later to wreck the suspense.

Hard to tell what woulda been better to do there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I liked the Palmer fight. It was fun seeing all those dumb animations. It shows a personality of FF7 a lot of people seem to forget.

I think Odin's Gunge Lance was meant to be called Gungnir or something. Even then, I think Gunge Lance sounds kinda cool.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 12, 2012

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Problem is the truck is another enemy in the game's coding, so you'd need it there too.

That truck and Rufus's helicopter are technically enemies so they could have fancy 3D models in battles.

I'd love to see a fight against the truck. I imagine it'd be like the Zolom fight; it rams you to knock people out of the party.

Also, "Use Palmer 'Ugh'" amuses me greatly. It just sounds silly.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I like this section because I would switch to the strongest weapons I had that had zilch materia growth. It was a nice change of pace.

Also, looking at all this, even if people complain about this game, it has very good character moments like the Turks and the Godo/Yuffie scuffle. That post about how which of the two groups are more evil makes me really enjoy the conflicts like that that are set up in this game. Too bad it's kind of invalidated with someone as unambiguously evil and typical as Sephiroth as the main threat. :\

Also, I love moments like this in the game, because I try to bring different party members to see each of their reactions. Needless to say, Cid is priceless.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Brainamp posted:

He doesn't even think about the girl's relations or that he might have to feed them. Also the fact that it hasn't worked out once yet.

I dunno, he was quick enough to sidestep boogie away from the Shinra soldiers.

I really like that even though Wutai is optional, there was so much stuff you did there that also contributed to character growth. That's the best kind of optional content.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

The one thing I really don't like is when you break up interesting paragraphs into sentences between screenshots. It's hard to follow both at once, so if an informative bit doesn't need to be interspersed with gameplay, give me some gameplay and then the whole paragraph so that I can process the game and then process what you have to tell me. Rio-chat was good but I might have enjoyed it more if you showed me Midgar for awhile and then showed me Rio for awhile and let them each sink in before moving on. I'm very interested in both topics but trying to follow them both at once is a bit much for me.

There's a balance in good/serious LPs that I imagine is really hard to strike, and I think that this LP has been doing a pretty good job of it so far. I'd prefer if I could appreciate both the great game and the excellent commentary better, an I think I might if more distinct blocks of time were given to each.

I agree with this. I'd also like to process both points separately.

Otherwise, my favorite part is the mechanicschat. I love hearing about what things do and learning new ways to exploit them. Explanations on the characters and their personalities are also fun.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Rockdash posted:

I thought Quina in FF9 was optional? Am I remembering wrong? :confused:

You eventually wound up with Quina in your party. The optional part is getting him earlier than when the game finally throws him at you.

Not sure if that's big enough for spoilers. Is that big enough for spoilers?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

The HUD arrows were really handy for places like Cosmo Canyon. I didn't know some buildings beyond the main building you explore could be entered, so it was good to see what could be.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Man, this goddamn scene. I love the two reprises of the "Why do you think..." question, and how the Turks are badass while they do this, with a nice sense of dark humor thrown in.

This is one of my favorite parts of the game because of how they develop the Turks. Professional trashmen, but they have a sense of sportsmanship when they need to have it.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Seems like a poor excuse for putting gaps in character motivations and in the player characters' ability development if its missed. Missing a sidequest shouldn't put such a gaping hole in the main quest. If it weren't for the 6th tier of weapons and the only time the Turks are aware of but not opposing the party being here it wouldn't be so gratuitous. You can skip Gongaga without missing that much, but skipping Wutai means you miss out on new weapons before the longest dungeon since the Shinra HQ. The same players who would miss Wutai would be the ones who need it most.

That brings up a weird divide. I think Wutai is a great sidequest because of all the moments it has relevant to the cast, yet missing it misses out on some development. I like when a sidequest would have extra material like this, and I dunno why but if Wutai was mandatory it would seem weird. Maybe it's just due to habit of having the quest optional. It does seem like it would fit well into the main story since it has that moment of tying your hands behind your back with the lack of materia.

I guess the best way to describe this quest is like a filler episode for the game. Might not be the best term to use, but it seems fitting, what with silly hijinx and all that.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

FF8 might not be the best example to bring up, but I think that game's optional content was handled kinda well. Different milestones of the game opened different quests, and they didn't really add to the plot but had some great rewards. Some areas were towns you wouldn't do much with, but I guess they helped show what else was going on in the world.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Hmm, speaking of Trine, I made the horrible mistake of wanting to master all 4 Enemy Skill Materia. I dunno what possessed me to do this, but whatever it was must have been the same thing that made me follow an FF9 guide to the letter so I could get all the treasure. Either way, it felt so awful curbs-stomping EVERYTHING in Wutai. I need to sit down and play these games without a guide some day. I did at first, should prolly go back to doing that.

Cuchulain posted:

Absolute Virtue is a special case. He was some developer's special baby, designed to random spawn after a major boss was killed and was completely unkillable. Every time someone figured out some way to defeat him, he was promptly hotfixed to fix the "error" and make him even more unkillable. Once or twice they banned the people who killed him.

This is all sounding vaguely familiar. :v:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Okay, quick break. I know I could just hop on wikipedia for this but I want to hear people here :spergin: about it.

What exactly IS the Masamune? Because it's shown up in almost every jrpg from Chrono Trigger to Final Fantasy. From its prevalence I'd say it was a japanese Excaliber, but I know there's gotta be more to it than that.

Well, CT's instance of the Masamune is more a localization quirk than what it was actually called. I think it was originally called Grandleon or something, which is much more fitting for a broadsword.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Way back when I replayed this, I had thought Aeris's spunkiness felt kinda forced. Looking back has fixed that since I'm not looking at it like a cynical rear end and appreciating things like that.

EDIT: ^ Yeah, I've found Aqualung to more economically trounce the first disc. Beta was awesome, but it was a little more expensive and I am very notorious about moderating my MP. ><

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

It's 34 vs. 35. The only practical difference between the two is element.

Oh...oh...I coulda sworn the difference was greater than that. My bad. Maybe I'm thinking of Matra Magic or somethin.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, Ozma is actually a very well designed, challenging encounter rather than just being a shitheap of HP and some moderately threatening abilities!

Shame he's just a giant marble. But maybe that's his game (though my guess was that he was supposed to be a third planet to FFIX's Gaia and Terra). :v:

I recall the last time I fought him he wound up killing himself, but the whole time he had me on my rear end. Which was the nice thing about a handful of FFIX's bosses, that they weren't JUST all damage sponges. I never found ways to abuse FFIX's system, but it seemed to do a really good job at keeping it balanced, no materia or junctioning to tempt you and all that.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

In terms of ranking writing, I'd definitely have it in order of IX, VII, and VIII for the Playstation trio.

My only problem was Kuja. He bothered me. A lot. Beyond looking like a hybrid of Sephiroth and Ultimecia. It's likely due to how much more interesting Garland seemed as an endgame villain. They definitely shafted the old dude.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

CharismaticHorsey posted:

Shifting from a lovely meta post to actual content, may I take the time to say I hate the ATB system of battles most Final Fantasys adopt. They force the battle to flow at certain speed and don't deviate. I'm much more of a fan for FFX's battle system. You could go as slow or quick as the like, the only speed that matter was the character stats.

I agree. ATB's okay I guess, but I like playing where you can set your own pace and not have to wait for the turn to start to blaze through a fight you don't want to deal with.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Indeterminacy posted:

Why don't we break up this Sephiroth discussion (which's going nowhere until more plot exposition) with some words on the other villains of the piece, the Shinra executives?

Just to remind everyone where we're at so far, barring Rufus (who's just being generally badass), we've got[list]

Say what you like about your Sephiroths, but given all that the game has given the impression of Shinra as a major ecological threat, and probably quite legitimately so, this is an awesome bunch of villains. They're all so very... human.

Those are the kind of villains I really like, those people who have those human problems and aren't a god-killing monstrosrosity. The latter isn't as palpable since it's impossible to actually relate to any of it beyond a certain point (if they ever get development), so Shinra has gained a lot of points for me looking back at them.

I like villain rosters to be like Shinra and Sephiroth, where the latter doesn't completely invalidate the other, but both of them are different threats to the main characters. That was my problem with the Kuja v Garland thing; Garland comes in seeming like a really good third act villain through his menace and goals, but instead Kuja overpowers him like he did Brahne, and gets rid of whatever impact Garland could have had through that emulation of Kefka and osmosing all the threat to himself.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

simplefish posted:

I always thought Blank from IX was a great one for belt silliness.

Belt over eyes!
Belt over shoulder!
Belt round middle!
Belt with pouches holding up loincloth!

I never noticed until looking at this, but it looks like Blank would fit well in GWAR. Just needs a few more spikes.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I love this, your window box looks like a fruit by the foot.

I was thinking the same thing. One of those hodgepodge abomination flavors.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Golden_Zucchini posted:

I'm the other way round. Lightning dodging I did once and I know that I could do it again if actually wanted to since it depends primarily on reflexes, timing, and concentration. The chocobo racing comes down to pure luck so far as I can tell. Spending hours failing something over and over again is a lot easier (for me) if I know that the reason I'm failing is because I just need to get that tiny amount better rather than because the RNG hates me.

And yet I still go for rare drops. Hmm.

I hate the Chocobo racing with all of my hate (and Kimahri's stupid butterfly thing as well), but I handled the lightning pretty well, too. I just muted the TV. :v:

I have a thing for mindless tedium I guess. :\

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Elentor posted:

Thanks for the link. No, never read it.

I'm also curious about the Versus book, mostly because here in Brazil we had a custom Versus book that was written by a different staff. It was an amusing read, and I'm curious to see how it compares with the original.

Yeah. The Versus Books guides I bought were always amusing reads. I was always curious to see them as well.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

George posted:

FF7 doesn't give partial EXP, so if you kill one side and run you're off the hook.

Huh. I coulda sworn it wouldn't allow escaping if you are attacked from both sides.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

NatashaQuick posted:

On that note, I haven't forgotten about the Versus guide, my sister knows she's got it in her stuff (as I put it, because it's better than most FFVII guides online) and I'm going to give her a call this weekend. Then I figure I'll have my work cut out for me because you guys will want scans of every page. :tipshat:

Whoa, a printed strategy guide better than an online one? This I gotta see, so I can reconfirm my love for Versus Books. :allears:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Frocobo posted:

Versus Books was by far the best strategy guide company. It's a shame Bradygames and Prima sold so much more while having such garbage content.

Oh god Prima. I sure hope you never saw their Jade Cocoon strategy guide. That was an incomplete, inaccurate, unorganized mess of a book. It's embarrassing to see how much was wrong with that guide.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of the Versus guide, I just found the sweet poster that was included with it. Shame I don't have the guide any more, but I sold it for a good chunk of change awhile ago. I can take a picture of the poster later if there is interest.

Interest over here.

That reminds me of another thing I loved about Versus Books: Really drat good visual presentation, and those awesome posters. I remember the Ocarina of Time book had two. The only major errors I found in the ones I had were two spots in the Majora's Mask guide where the text ran off the box they had it in or just disappeared.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Those posters were my favorite part about the guides. Hell, the OoT guide had two! I just wish I took better care of them, the guides AND the posters. :ohdear:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I'm glad this LP exists. I spent the longest time not knowing how great Aeris is. Plus, :ghost: is amazing. I could just go on forever about how much I love the effort they put into the environments. :allears:

Also, I'm curious to see all the possible ways to flub the play, and to see the other dates. The non-obvious dates I found are more amusing (or one of them would have been if the game wasn't a jerk).

We need a gif of Cloud dancing off the stage.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

The Ultimania books always kinda rubbed me a weird way. I'm not a fan of important info needing to be explained offstage instead of having things explained or told at least in some way in the original material. That whole retroactive "NO NO WE TOTALLY MEANT THIS GUYS" treatment feels like poor form. I mean yeah, sometimes not everything is put out clearly enough the first time through, but not having a safety net means they have to make things as whole as they can that first try and not rely on fixing it later.

As for the KH stuff, I kinda liked Squall in that. He didn't do much, but at least he wasn't an unlikeable dick (and as usual, Mopey Cloud is the worst thing to survive this game, even if it's the farthest from how Cloud behaves most of the time). I kinda wish KH explored some of the characters a little more, at the risk of allowing really dumb writing in, since that game felt very episodic, since the world were very disconnected to each other.

But how dare they not make Cid a misogynistic vulgar bastard! :colbert:

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 30, 2012

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

The Hades summon is very handy in a lot of situations. On its own, it inflicts a variety of statuses, including on that one other optional boss. I could never beat him without it. Or you can stick it + Added Effect in your weapon and status everything to hell and back. (Or stick it on your armor, if that's your thing. I guess it'd be like having a second Ribbon!)

I think you mean a third one. :smug:

The Cait Sith scene looks so sloppily written. That definitely could have used some more actual tension instead of the party acting like he was some genuine pal.

I definitely felt like I was reading some brand of guide. Fun times. I remember an Earthworm Jim 2 guide that began with a narration written from Jim's perspective about what he did between the games. It was very amusing, and apparently 3D glasses could be used for one of the versions of the game. Crazy stuff there.

There was also a Nintendo Power guide I had of Majora's Mask, that had a bunch of interesting eater eggs and bonus events some other guides didn't list (like how you could use the Mask of Scent on Gorman's boxers to get the mushrooms :gonk:). It was a nice touch.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Nope, CLOUD would have Blade Beam and possibly Meteorain if it did.

Being able to double HP is a very big deal when HP totals are chronically low. It means being able to survive hits, or even to have a few rounds to act in between healing.

Man, I would love the feeling of all of those materia leveling up and shooting up the HP totals. Not sure if that'd ever happen for this, though. :saddowns:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Yup, maxes out at +100%. This factors in all penalties too, of course, so if you load up on Added Effect and Elemental pairs you'll probably want to pick up that third HP Plus anyway in a super-low HP situation like this.

And then this is the part where we tell OFS that HP gain in FF7 is slightly randomized and that he could potentially have the worst HP possible given his current level

Ah, gotcha. Learn something new, then. So the only change is needing less. Makes sense.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

On a different note, guess who backtracked from the start of disc 2 to Mt. Nibel to get the second Elemental materia because he realized he was comic close to a boss with a ton of elemental attacks?

This guy! Goddammit I still hate Mt. Nibel's encounters!

I was wondering why you said Mt. Nibel was pointless when that existed. :v:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

That pic at least makes Tifa look toned and muscular and all that, but it looks like her legs are detached from her hips. The anatomy there looks off.

I'm trying to think of how the bosses in this game actually went for me. I remember Materia Keeper and Lost Number wrecking me, but I really don't know how Red Dragon and Demon Wall went. I guess I just kinda fought them, and followed the guides. I should try and do a challenge run to see how I fare and see if bosses stand out.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

penguinmambo posted:

Plus his sword looks like something you'd find by the traintracks or a junkyard. It'd make for a pretty scary reveal (or a pretty novel modern FF lead) that he really IS just some bum.

Apparently most of the very tiny amount of "chunky" Tifa art came out of the idea that she's probably also the bouncer for her own bar. But between fanboy boner and fangirl aestetics, you aren't going to see someone not noodlelimbed in JRPGS for a while, unless the design is entirely about that feature. I suddenly feel like I should do an art critique of the other characters, but it feels too pretentious.

I wouldn't mind seeing some critiques about character design for this cast. Pretentious maybe, but I love a good analysis of stuff like that.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Cloud punching Aeris like he does is something I don't see too much in a lot of stories. Main characters always seem to be invincible, no infighting or things to hurt them or call their relationships into question. But Cloud hitting Aeris is really heavy; they could have just had Cloud pass out after losing it, but the scene slowly devolving into violent mad confusion is really nailed with that moment.

Except when Cait Sith shows up. I knew he'd show up during that scene, but after seeing it again, his timing is just horrible. This scene also shows how awful poorly used relief from intense scenes are.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Valiantman posted:

It seems a large number of people were using some kind of a game guide for their first playthrough. Is there a reason for it? Was it included in some sort of a bundle that was commonly available or why else would you buy it? I find this genuinely interesting because I don't think I've ever even thought of buying (or in this Internet Age just googling) a game guide for something that isn't an old-school style adventuring game.

I used the guide because....um...I think my grandparents would always buy guides for me or something. I really do hate BradyGames for their terrible, sloppy guide for this game.

I think I hard to force myself to cry during this scene. Not that it wasn't sad, and Elentor presented it really well, I just didn't feel very strongly for it, besides being pissed at Seph for looking like such a smug bastich. However, one thing that always gets me in Aeris' Theme is when that...horn thing does its solos, when nothing else is playing. It sounds so somber and lonely. Very nice stuff.

Although Cloud's dialogue is incredibly hokey during this scene, the mourning after the fight is great. I didn't know Yuffie reacted like that, but it's beautiful. I'd love to see each characters reaction. It was nice to see that even for the secret characters, they put effort into their reactions.

And then you use a cheat to hack Seph into your party during that scene. Or another Cloud. He'd prolly shrug.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

penguinmambo posted:

Barret is hated by everyone in his town and can't even tell his daughter he sorta killed her dad. Nearly all of Tifa and Cloud's old friends are dead. Cait Sith works for Shinra and probably can't make friends due to the corporate enviornment and uses a cat/monster thing simply to be able to talk to people. Nanaki's closest friend is old-as-poo poo granddad and he might be the last of his race and probably outlive all his human friends. Cid's a washout whose closest relationship with anyone is someone who'd genuinely be better off if he was dead. No one probably trusts Yuffie and she has no friends her age.

:smith:

Barret's part of the story was always my favorite part of the game's story. Barret felt like the most human there, despite some problems with his quirks, it felt really heavy with all the stuff he and Dyne went through.

So it kinda bummed me out that Elentor ripped into that part so much and didn't seem to like it at all. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

penguinmambo posted:

I liked the emotional scene but it was a little mixed up in its plot structure. Fun fact: In the original plot drafts, Marlene really was just supposed to be Barret's kid and his wife still be around. I dunno how you'd plot the Corel Prison stuff then, though.

Hmm, that might explain why Barret's part of the game feels so cramped. drat shame it couldn't have more room to breathe.

• Locked thread