Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

A lot of the more... intelligent places on the internet seems to hold FFIX in the highest regard for the series. It's not only SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

As for Freya, the only two really useless abilities in her repitoire are Dragon Breath and Six Dragons, and only because percentage attacks (Dragon Breath) always suck.

Actually, Dragon Breath does damage equal to the total damage done so far to the target to every enemy. So if Zidane hit something for 500, Vivi for 750, and Amarant for 600, then Dragon Breath would do 1850 to it and every other enemy.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Adus posted:

This is my favorite line in the game. Really this whole update should be used as an example of why Cloud is actually a character with a decent sense of humor.

Yeah, this is the scene I always think of whenever people lay on the "Cloud is nothing but a whiny emo" argument.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

I want to imagine Sephiroth making his way to the Golden Saucer like this:

Just to add the the sheer WTF factor or the Golden Saucer.
Source:http://ffchaoticcosmos.livejournal.com/416019.html

Why does he have Kefka's Dissidia walk animation :cry:

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

God drat Punnet squares always ruin everything.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

pandaK posted:

what if it is more like ffx's chocobo racing?

That wasn't Chocobo Racing. It was Chocobo Seagull Genocide Brouhaha.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I'm perplexed at all these Esther speculations. Am I seriously the only person who simply thought that she was normal and that a single guy just happened to think "she looks funny"?

Skyridge fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 27, 2011

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Soricidus posted:

Wait till we get onto the romanization of her (?) name!

Is Ester a bungled translation of Esther, or was it an intentional hint at his (?) synthetic nature? Or is the Japanese Esuto a cultural reference to the television production company EST that's been sadly wasted on us poor deprivèd gaijins? No, methinks its (?) real, canonical name is of course Etht, and this will surely be confirmed by their (?) appearance in the upcoming EU game starring Etht, Dio, and that dude in the hat from the house in Costa del Sol.

Discuss! oh god no please don't

I'd play it.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Zonko_T.M. posted:

What I do find weird is that what Dio says about his encounter with Sephiroth makes it sound like he's just a genial celebrity, when everything the party has run into thus far screams PSYCHOPATH in 12-foot tall blood red letters. Nothing later in the game jives with Dio's encounter. So why did Dio run into this serial killer and come out not only OK, but happy to have met him? I'm not saying there's some deeper reason for it, it's just a weak moment in the treatment of the villain's threat level.

I always just assumed Dio was extremely dense. He IS the one who tossed Cloud and company into jail without thinking. And why is he always wearing nothing but a speedo?

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I always found it bizarre that Barrier and M. Barrier get their own little timer bars yet no other status does.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

John Luebke posted:

I think this is actually the one and only time in the game that you can learn of Aeris's past relationship with Zack, if you don't have her in your party the first time you speak to his parents, too bad, there's no way to trigger her dialogue later.

Don't forget she told Cloud about an old boyfriend in SOLDIER back after escaping the church. Unless you meant this is the only time where she goes into any real detail, which is true as far as I know.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Getting Kjata qualifies as a sidequest? Don't you just grab it when you go through the area?

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I used Vincent in the battle arena on occasion due to his limits as well. It's sometimes a nice change of pace just to see two AI opponents beat the living daylights out of each other, especially when you get battle points or whatever they were called for doing so. Also, when transformed, Vincent is immune to like 90% of the negative status effects on the roulette wheel, which makes it even better since they still boost your BP.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

code:
Name: Drill Arm
Slots: O O O O                  Growth: DOUBLE
Att:    37   At%:    97   Mag:     0
Type:    Punch
Special Notes:
  +3% Critical Hit Rate
Barret's new hand has a critical chance boost, though.

That's... gotta be the most miniscule boost ever. Makes you wonder why they even bothered.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

You'd be surprised how much time mashing through text boxes saves.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I only got to see the second half of disc 1 in the stream, but I found it funny that the one broken item I never knew about (the powersoul) was abused both here and in the speed run.

On a different note, I'm contemplating LPing Crisis Core after this thread is over to round out the EU games released outside of Japan. I actually thought that story wise at least it was pretty faithful to the original game, baring that one rear end in a top hat they decided to shoehorn in (you know who I'm talking about). Then again, I haven't played it in three years so I may be misremembering.

Skyridge fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 12, 2012

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

In FFT, only women and Cloud in his unique job can wear ribbons.

This was either a callback to everyone in FF7 being able to equip ribbons, or the crossdressing shenanigans. I personally hope it's the later. Also, I don't suppose anyone knows, but are the birthdates listed in the Japanese manual anywhere? Either the person who localized the instruction manual threw them in there, or the FFT team was just lazy.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

pandaK posted:

Here have this plus more

You know, a lot of people have been clamoring for a Final Fantasy X-0 featuring Braska, Auron, and Jecht's adventure. After seeing this, I'm terrified as to which direction such a project would go.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I wonder what they had to do to convince said celebrity to voice a single line of a lionwolfbeastie in the last minute of the movie. Seems like a really awkward use of celebrity talent.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Like I said earlier, other than Gackt, Crisis Core is actually a pretty solid game. Gameplay can be hit or miss, but I found it tolerable enough.

Also, I actually enjoyed the post game bonus missions in Dirge of Cerberus. It took the gameplay in interesting and legitimately difficult directions without having to deal with the awful plot.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Only if Palmer runs into it and sends it flying as the final blow.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I just mentally add 3 to everyone's age in JRPGs. It helps make things not completely stupid.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

OCD comes in many forms. Consider this on par with constant hand-washing on the "things that make dinner conversation awkward" level of compulsion.

As one of the said compulsive hand-washers, I've definitely noticed my OCD affecting my game playing habits in some weird ways, but never to THAT level. At least trying to buy 99 of every single item will let you do something with the mountains of gil you'll have by the end of the game.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

berryjon posted:

But they weren't the primary party, just re-skins of your current one. I don't think they count.

Well they certainly SHOULD have been the primary party.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Speaking of monsters, is it just me or did FFX have WAY too many recolors, like even more than Final Fantasy games usually have? You'd occasionally get a new enemy type, but the rest of them seemed to be some variety of wolf or shell monster thing with corresponding terrain on top of it.

Skyridge fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 1, 2012

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Yeah, all the games pronounce it You-fee.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

So, uh, is there a reason you didn't show the scene after rescuing Yuffie where she slaps all your materia back on you in completely random assortments?

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Elentor posted:

We still haven't left Wutai, man of little faith. Fine, put it in order.

Ok, now I'm really curious as to why you were apparently saving that for the end of the Wutai stuff.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Wulfolme posted:

This is a TORTOISE. :mad:

And all you other ponytars should be ashamed of yourselves for not catching that days ago.

And don't you dare start talking about why that is.

Good day.

You're just upset Tank hasn't made a second appearance. Then again, so is everyone else :(.

Anyway, if stealing is getting this much discussion, I can't wait to see what people have to say about morphing. God drat master tonberries.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Alkarl posted:

This is something I appreciated about Crisis Core as well. It went a long way towards humanizing Sephiroth beyond what you see in FFVII proper. I know everyone hates CC (Gackt :argh:) but it did a lot of things right.

I know I've said this before earlier in the thread, but I think it bears repeating that storyline wise, Crisis Core was really good except for Gackt, who is such a horrible inclusion that it really drags the rest of it down.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Alkarl posted:

Clearly the chocobo breeding was inspired by Fire Emblem 4.

Now that's just completely uncalled for.

ALL Fire Emblem games have incest.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

Wait, you can get this on the PSP now? I thought it was a PSN thing only on the PS3, which i don't have. I am never going to get anything accomplished ever again.

All PS1 games on the PSN can be used on both the PSP and the PS3. Oh, and the Vita too, I guess, but screw that.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Versus Books was by far the best strategy guide company. It's a shame Bradygames and Prima sold so much more while having such garbage content.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

...and then Kimahri showed up in FF10 and it was around that time that I started considering character mechanics so instead I was rather, "Fuckin' Kimahri is so useless."

All you need to do to make Kimahri useful is send him down Rikku's path. Having a second person to steal and fling around Al Bhed potions is incredibly handy. His overdrive was pretty underwhelming, but after Enemy Skill pretty much every iteration of blue magic feels gimped.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

:ssh: Riku is the best friend, Kairi is the love interest.

I'm pretty sure that was the joke. And depending on who you ask, the entire subject might be debatable.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

penguinmambo posted:

For as much as we rag about stupid later developments, I wanna mention someone neat. YOu may remember some weird fighting game called Ehrgeiz a while back. Had a bunch of painful FFVII cameos in it.

One was a weird character called Django a fourlegged wolf which was kind of a novelty back in fighting games, and with the cameos, you can imagine where people's train of thought went. Not only does he have a palette Red has (but still looks different), he even has some moves named after FF stuff, even Soto specifically.

It might be totally after the fact part of the design, but it's sort of funny in a psuedo-offical "fan character" kind of way. I'm sort of dissapointed we don't get the offical skinny on the catdoglion folk, not even a cameo in the Chocobo Game spinoffs where they'd work great. :v

Honestly, I kinda of always compared Red XIII to a moomba from FFVIII. They're similar enough in my book. And speaking of FFVIII, that axe-wielding moogle would have been so much better than what we DID get for a main cast...

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

eating only apples posted:

Actually, has it even been said who's controlling him? He's only made one appearance so far, right? He's one of my favourite NPCs, but I don't remember it ever directly stating that he's the guy behind Cait Sith, now I think of it.

Yes, it is specifically revealed at one point in game.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

You could always try a "no materia" run, but that might get boring.

Alternately, you could try a "no attack/limit break" run. That could be interesting, but still probably too easy.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

simplefish posted:

This is how you keep Aeris past the first disc. No, really. This video shows how:

:siren: NOTE: LIKE ALL Youtube VIDEOS TO DO WITH FF7 THE RELATED VIDEOS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO UNLESS YOU'VE PLAYED THE WHOLE GAME BEFORE. REPEAT DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOILERS :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPf6xttVsFU

Someone should do that and keep playing with Aeris in the party all the time to see how long it takes for the game to crash. I know she has "stock" dialogue programmed in for a few insignificant events at various points, but I wonder just how much there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Personally, I like to think that Aeris's mum has tea and cookies out for the Turks every month when they arrive like clockwork. They take her to the Shinra Building, and a few days later, before Hojo has a chance to do something irreversible, she 'escapes', excuses are made and the Turks find a single flower in each of their lockers. While Elena gets really confused as why she keeps finding megaphones in hers... :3:

This is now canon. It certainly explains why Elena is so uptight all the time.

• Locked thread