Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
You act like a butt-cape isn't cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Question please: How many of the writers left Squaresoft after their merger with Enix?

It seems like Final Fantasy has been going in a completely different direction since the merger.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
^^^^Edit: I think he forgot to put the word "respectfully" in there.

Prison Warden posted:

It's dumb is what I am saying here.

A good rule to stand by is to not accept anything as canon unless it directly comes from the game. Expanded Universe stuff are, again as a rule, worse than the original. Final Fantasy 7 is the best example of this, of course.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Speaking of, why do animay baddies wind up being or wanting to become God? As Bender showed us, being put in that position is probably the worst punishment imaginable for a mortal conscience.
You're assuming that there would be any people left after Sephiroth becomes one with the planet. Meteor is strong enough to endanger the life of the planet. Sephiroth could be angling for a mass-extinction. All intelligent life goes the way of the dinosaurs. Or maybe his goal is more . . . um . . . "innocent" than that. Maybe he thinks he dissipate into the lifestream and become everyone and no one.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I think we need a "Don't try this at home, kids. Mister Elantor is a professional." tag.

If you know what you are doing, most Final Fantasy games break themselves. Most of their difficulty comes from not explaining their combat system well.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
So you'd think Cloud would be much more intimidating than Barret? Yeah, I can see it. Especially when he uses his slab of steel Buster Sword with one hand. Lots of power in a smallish package.

Leavemywife posted:

they look kind of weak, but knowing they can still jam my arm up my own rear end without a second thought is definitely an intimidating thing for me.

Elentor posted:

Bruce Lee is as awesome as it gets.
Kung Fu Hustle took this concept to its logical extreme.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
They are talking about the first Kingdom Hearts game. Rikku was supposed to appear in that game, but because of her name being too close to the love interest "Riku", they swapped her out for Yuffie. I hope this clears it up.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I actually thought Amano's piece of Sephiroth was pretty decent.

Anyway, I think you left out Barret, or I may have just missed your analysis of him. Also, do you have any words for the Turks, Rufus, Hojo, or any other SHRINA affiliated antagonist? Well, I know the Turks and Hojo aren't very visually distinct as far character designs go, but maybe there is something more . . .

Good analysis, anyway.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

penguinmambo posted:

Maybe it's another callback to Old Timey rpgs and walled cities? I remember in the Lord of the Rings movies it looked weird as hell that they never edited in rolling fields n stuff outside the city because it made things look barren, but at least Mako Reactors have the excuse of loving up the land around them. Or a more uncomfortable 'cause it looks cool'; midgar is supervisual but I don't know how they grow food or as a smarter man has asked, where the water comes from and where the poo poo goes. :v: I think the EU dances around the idea by having the distinctive Midgar bits but suddenly there are these weird subburbs and shanty towns around places.

They could streams or rivers running through Midgar or have some futuristic aqueducts beneath the bottommost layer of the city. As far food goes, FFTA2 taught me Behemoth makes good eating. Of course, they could have a Rune Factory style area where they grow some vegetation. But seeing the inside of the SHRINA building, I get the idea they grow their food in test tubes. Kind of like today, but without the scantest humanity towards their "animals". Instead of cow, just living steak that self-immolates. Well, only the rich people get such, um, delicacies; merchants trade with outside sources for some chocobo meat to sell to the working poor.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

George posted:

At least Vaan and Ashe come from a desert city, and Fran from a jungle. Those are hot environments, which at least 10% justifies their skimpy clothes.
Fran, okay.

But not for Vaan or Ashe. In a desert environment, it is kind of important to wear clothes that cover most of your body. It isn't the air temperature that kills, it is the sun. That is why you see so many Middle Easterners with robes on.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Zeikier posted:

Except when Cait Sith shows up. I knew he'd show up during that scene, but after seeing it again, he his timing is just horrible.
I quite agree. He's a menace with his tomfoolery. I think the game would have been at least 12% better if Cait Sith did not not exist.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Holy poo poo. There are a lot of FFVII guides. From what I gleaned from these comments, only a couple of them were decent. VII really was a big money-maker, huh.

Anyway, I don't think I was ever spoiled. Somehow, I avoided all mentions of her death until I got to that part myself.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Y'know, SquareSoft just hasn't been the same since it stopped existing. SquareEnix is just not cutting it for my Final Fantasy Tactics needs. I agree with OFS; FFT was the bestest.

That pointless statement reminds me: Does SquareEnix still have all of Final Fantasy staff or writers?

Edit: KataraniSword, didn't they admit FF14 sucked donkey balls? I thought that was the reason they redid it and everything. I also remember them giving an apology about it. (Was the game really so bad as to require an apology?)

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I love Final Fantasy X, but I can't deny that it really was a let down in that area. Though, I guess I should really read that FFIX LP. It sounds interesting, and I guess I should see where Square was coming from when they were starting FFX.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Hey, guys, why don't we spoiler FFX spoilers or have a spoiler alert in our posts. Some people have not finished the game yet, or, like XyloJW, is waiting for DarkId's LP to resume.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Sarkozymandias posted:

If a story can be spoiled by learning something about the plot then it's either not a good story or you have an unsophisticated view of storytelling.

It makes me wonder why people sit in the dark for 2 hours waiting for the last frame of the movie. If the plot is the only thing that interests you, read the wikipedia article.
Are you seriously trying to berate me because I said maybe we should spoil some of the plot relevant items of another game or at least warn people before we casual toss off big surprises in the story? Or are you just being a pendant about the word "spoil" used to mean revealing a plot point? You understood the substance of my post; why be a jerk about it?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I'm just going to throw this out there because I know next to nothing about the subject, but "it's bad" and "it has gotten better" aren't mutually exclusive conditions. It can be both.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Any species that includes Hojo must be evil. There is no other way.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I'm not a game developer or programmer, so pardon my ignorance, but would it be so difficult to do for Final Fantasy VII that they did for Final Fantasy Tactics? I haven't played War of the Lions, but I have nothing but good things about (aside from the spell animations being caped at half-speed). Why couldn't they do a remake like that for Final Fantasy VII.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
You could always have a villain-protagonist. If you do that, you can make the player experience the character's descent into darkness. If done well, it should garner up sympathy for them, and of course, maybe make the player himself recoil with horror as you do more and more evil poo poo with maybe a flimsy justification for it.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Final Fantasy 7 is one the most popular game ever released by Squaresoft or SquareEnix. Why won't they remake this? As much as people has been begging for it all these years, they'd make a killing. They've remade all Final Fantasy games up to 6 and just stopped. Is there som legal issues preventing them.

(Just found out War of the Lions were released for the Ipad. Now I can play it!)

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Namagem posted:

For the people who liked the Black Materia hiphop album I posted earlier, I found out the author had an album of remixes of his covers:

http://megaranmusic.com/album/black-materia-the-remixes

Again, mild spoiler warning. For the most part, the extent of the spoilers are stuff we've already seen, but there are a couple in the first couple of songs.

This album also has songs about Cait Sith, Vincent, and Yuffie, which are really cool.

He released another one? I guess I'll have to buy it once I get some cash in my pocket again. I bought his previous Final Fantasy 7 album and loved it. Just as entertaining, I presume?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Is . . .is Cloud Jenova?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Hokuto posted:

I'm not sure what you're suggesting a "good" translator might do here short of adding material or taking liberties that weren't present in the source.

I'm pretty sure he was suggesting just that. A good translator is also a good editor, I suppose.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
So, yeah, the English version of Crayon Shin-Chan bares little resemblance to the original, Japanese version. Wikipedia says/implies it was hard to translate, so the American localization team just rewrote the drat show.

I liked the dub version myself, but I can see why anyone would hate it, especially if they were expecting an actual translation.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Serifina posted:

Then why is it Bartz in Dissidia?

Because there are a few ways you can spell words when you transliterate them from Japanese?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
No. An improved translation would simplify things. A badly translated script is only a net benefit if the original script was a piece of poo poo. Final Fantasy has a decent story with good dialogue; it would benefit from a competent translator and editor. We have already seen how the poor translation of the game can hurt the game and its plot. The Jehova being Sephiroth thing left people confused that bit of dialogue was poorly translated.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
That does begs the question; why doesn't Rufus fire their asses? They're all as incompetent and cartoony evil as his father.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Zinco posted:

I appreciate much of what they've done with the game, but it required more clarity to bring its plot forward with force.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Primer I was "wait what happened" because I was bored and stopped paying attention. It wasn't that complicated.
Here, I suspect that what's confusing here is that:
1.) The character models are blocky and it's hard to see what they're doing, especially when they're trying to make them emote.
2.) The dialog has a lot of half finished sentences and such making it hard to follow conversations, especially when the dialog at times uses the models to show their emoting instead of telling. Which would be admirable if the models were clearer.
3.) It's a long game and it's easy to forget things that happened hours before, especially if you put down the game for a while and finish it later.

I think Yonic Symbolism laid out the biggest problems so far. Honestly, I think the models aren't too big a problem; it is mostly the dialogue and pacing that is bad. As far as the dialogue goes, it is probably not the developers' fault as much as the game had a crappy translation which made everything harder to understand than necessary. However, the pacing is probably the biggest obstacle in all versions of this game. I not sure if pacing is the correct term, but the game expects you to remember and retain a stupid amount of stuff for it to make sense. Well, it is not too much stuff. Though, it is very easily overwhelming when you are playing for the very first time. If you don't understand the plot by the end on your first go, it probably won't be much easier to understand it on subsequent playthroughs.

Personally, I don't think any major changes are necessary for it to make more sense or enjoyable. Some tweaking for the script and add possibly a journal thing that records what happened so far.

Maybe I am wrong about this and just running my mouth. Strong possibility.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is Final Fantasy. The only status that works with any reliability is Slow.

I don't know. It's better to cast Haste on your party than try to debuff the enemy with Slow, and Poison is always useful when it works.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

The main thing I remember about Star Ocean 2 was learning to hate, hate, *hate* Decus. "SPICULE! OH, IT'S HOT! DON'T YOU THINK I'M VERY STRONG!?"

The thing I remember most about the game is when I used some of my best items fighting a boss.

On a completely unrelated note, I loving hate when (j)RPGs give you an invincible boss without warning you especially when you encounter said boss in the middle of the game after you stockpiled some pretty good items. I happy that Final Fantasy 7 does not do this.

On a slightly more related note, there are worse things than grinding. I don't play much DQ games, but I never found them too grind-y (unless I am trying to farm certain items).

Are there many games that discourage grinding? The only one I can think of is Romancing Saga: The Minstrel Song.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Wasn't unified and clean standard and preservation the excuse MAME devs used for "why doesn't this emulator actually run the games"?

I'm not familiar with MAME or its developers, but byuu's reasons are, or seems to for a layperson like me, to be more practical.

bsnes and legacy formats link

byuu posted:

There is of course the pragmatic approach of simply supporting all of these extensions. However, I feel this introduces unfortunate downsides. First, consider how operating systems such as Windows handle file-assignment. It is based on extension. So if you want to set up your SNES images to open in your favorite SNES emulator, you must assign each of the above extensions to point to your emulator of choice. Now what happens if you decide to change emulators? You have to do it all over again.

This further complicates my emulator in particular: I have special support to load folders that end in a specific extension as though it were a complete cartridge with all associated files (ROM, RAM, memory mapping data, etc.) inisde of it. What would be a simple wildcard search becomes a rather complex list-based search instead.

Of course, if you read the opening paragraph, it does still come off as Concordat suggested.

hectorgrey posted:

I have bsnes. For some reason, it doesn't seem to like .smc rom files; only .sfc...

I would suggest using SNESPurify to clean your roms. You can also use NSRT to clean and rename your roms.

Or you could use SNES9x which is good emulator to use for most games.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Pierzak posted:

The problem is that I actually like the headers etc., so as far as I'm concerned any emulator that insists on ROM purity can :fuckoff:
Okay. . . That last part was meant for HectorGrey since he mentioned he was using bsnes/higan.

Anyway, back on topic, does Barret's dialogue in that last scene change if he goes out on a date with Cloud?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Vil posted:

Reminds me of a former coworker who visited bona fide Africa, and gushed about getting to speak directly with so many "African-Americans" while she was there.

I hope she didn't call them that to their faces.

She did know that African is not an offensive term, right?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Glazius posted:

They must be really hard up for leadership.
Leading people is hard, and Cloud seems to have (or, rather, had) a knack for it. After Cloud went out of commission, Barret avoided the position, tricked Cid into being the "leader". And now Cid realize what a lovely, stressful job it is. Both Barret and Cid probably realized along the way that Cloud was the most effective leader the party has had. It is a nice bit of character development, especially for Barret. In the beginning, he was the leader, the decision maker (or so he thought) and resisted Cloud's de facto position, but now, Barret understands he does not possess the qualities or skill set to lead people, or so I assume.

Though, that probably only a part of the reason they are visiting. Cloud is out of commission permanently as far as they know, so they probably are not expecting him to pick up the mantle of leadership again. It is probably safe to assume that they have no idea what to do next and are looking for direction even if it has to come from a severely mentally impaired man or his emotionally damaged, dependent admirer. Honestly, even on his worst days, Cloud was more competent at this than either Cid or Barret. The only thing they've managed on their own was to handicap any real attempt at saving world; that's like negative progress.

After Aeris, Cloud was the most competent party member. What a lovely bunch of heroes we have.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Randalor posted:

"Insert Advent Children joke here".

But seriously, between the end of the world in a week, and the "heroes" openly trying to stop the only plan to try to stop the end of the world, and the leader of the rag-tag group falling into not one, but two lifestream pools (either that, or lime Kool-aid)... I think the only way things could get WORSE is if, oh, I dunno, it turns out that because Cloud fell into the lifestream, all future people born will be copies of Cloud.

Or Jenova's older sibling appears.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

simplefish posted:

I can't remember if we know about why Cloud is a puppet, in the words of Jenova, and why he sometimes loses control to "Sephiroth" (actually Jenova)

I've an answer to this, depending on what is and isn't spoilers.

Hojo did say that Cloud was failure Sephiroth clone, implying he was a past experiment involving Jenova cells. If the Weapons are the planet's antibodies and Cloud has cells from the bacterial infection (Jenova), then it makes sense for why that one specific Weapon attacked the group; it was going after Cloud and the guys got in the way.

I like to imagine that Jenova and the planet is on a similar level. Not exactly intelligent but has instincts. The intelligence level of say a spider within beings far too advanced and evolved for our complete understanding.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Yeah. This is about where I was before I had to quit, too. A rogue bouncy ball smashed the disk after I took it out the tray.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

Even pure, undiluted rage wouldn't make a person be able to withstand that.

This is a game where people can take bullets to the face. Seriously, just suspend your disbelief for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Yeah. Final Fantasy 7 does seem to have minigames overload. They should have had a lot less minigames and refined the ones they already had. Or just calmed down with them. Though, I also feel the same way with some of the cutscenes.

• Locked thread