Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

I always chalked this stuff up to bad translation, but these are such simple things that there must be more to it...

Considering that the translator probably had no real context for the line as is the case with a lot of video game translations it's very likely to be as simple as that.

^^^^

Or that, I just checked again and she also didn't say it fell through the roof but that it fell on top of her, referring to the roof itself.

Edit: Although Clouds response would indicate she was indeed referring to him.

Let's just settle for bad translation once and for all.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Elentor posted:

Anyway we're introduced to this nice music right now. Also, spoilers in the related videos.

Just thought I'd point this out.

You're actually hearing this one

It is very similiar to Aeris's Theme but it still takes a little while until we hear the real one.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

George posted:

This isn't really true, especially for Tifa.

I think he's talking about how in FFX during cutscenes all the main characters are present whether you have them in your party or not while in FF7 you always travel alone with your two buddies and they're often the only ones present during story events. (And as soon as you leave Midgar the game rarely forces specific characters in your party.)

Not to mention that you can miss out on some story background if you're not travelling with the right character at the right time. (Which I kind of liked actually.) Just like some of the major plot relevations in this game are actually more or less hidden cutscenes.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
I'd agree that it's important to match the lip movement, but the lip-sync in FFX is still terrible so it might've been better if they hadn't bothered in the first place.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Elentor posted:

This part had me stumped for like a week when I played this as a kid. I desperatly tried to get on the pipe or whatever this is supposed to be from above.

When that didn't work I tried doing something with that giant robot hand and the car wreck.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

and Japanese, as far as I know, uses hyphens often just to signalize that a syllable is elongated. Doesn't make much sense with an "n" as last

Wouldn't make much sense to use it like that when you're using the alphabet in the first place.

The hyphen in Shin-Ra was probably just chosen for aesthetic reasons.

For that matter, as far as I know they spell it Shinra whenever it's written somewhere in romaji in the japanese versions of all the EU crap. So it's kind of the opposite of Aeris/th.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 8, 2011

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
Now that I think about it though, since you still see Shin-Ra plastered all over the place I think the best solution for the english translation would've been to write it as Shinra when they're referring to his name and as Shin-Ra when they're referring to the company.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 8, 2011

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Off-hand, I can only think of 3 (maybe all 4, but I'm not too sure) other than Aps that fit but it's been ages since I last played and I think for one of them the random encounters only start after the fight so it probably doesn't count. The most obvious one is Materia Keeper, and I think another equally obvious two would be a pair of optional bosses. For reference, the other three I can think of are Red Dragon, RW and Lost Number. E; Actually if the second one would count then so too should DW and arguably UW which would make it 6 or even 7 total so I don't even loving know which ones are right and which ones aren't. Maybe RW and UW are wrong on account of being optional but that would discount Lost Number too... (spoiler tagged stuff is just boss names, most of which don't mean anything even in context. The ones that might be actual proper spoilers are abbreviated so unless you know them already they're still meaningless)

I don't know the name but there's also the two-headed dragon in the ice cave.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
Isn't that basically like saying that there are Chocobos in this game?

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Elentor posted:

I'm gonna get you this video here.

Wow, I never knew about this. After seeing this the dialogue with Johnny and some of the other NPC's the next day make a little more sense.

The Elmyra flashback was probably the first time I felt really sad during a video game. (Biggs, Wedge's and Jessie's death didn't do that much for me as I was sure they were just waiting for their triumphant return.)

I also really love the music during the whole flashback scene, Elentor already posted a live orchestra version of that song in a previous update but it doesn't have that fuzzy nostalgic feeling the original has for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIqKWLkm2-g&feature=related

And I don't think those two NPC's in the flashback are supposed to be Biggs and Jessie, they just have the same fashion sense. I mean, this is 15 years prior to FF7, I always imagined they'd be around Cloud's age.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 21, 2011

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
Back when I first played this I didn't have a memory card and this being my first big RPG I didn't really think I'd need one. This was about as far as I got (And I played the game often, always trying to get a little bit further.) I only got a memory card months later and could finally continue. The stuff we'll be seeing in the next few updates blew my mind back then.

Oh and you've been slacking a bit with soundtrack links in your updates Elentor.

This song starts playing when you're climbing the wire to Shinra HQ, good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLPBeyU2V4U&feature=related

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Timber_Wolf posted:

I never figured out the bookcase puzzle either, I just randomly guessed and got it right on dumb luck.

I was like that on my very first playthrough. I simply guessed "Mako" and got it right on my first try.:smug:

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

That hardly counts, as it was in the name of :science:

You're thinking of the wrong one.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
The only enemy skill I ever really cared for was Big Guard. The game isn't particulary hard to begin with but as soon as you have Big Guard it's basically a joke. Haste + Barrier + Magic Barrier on all characters for just 30 MP.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Mr Right posted:

I had always assumed that Sephiroth had taken the Jenova body. Did it actually just slither away with Sephiroth? If this is something we find out later then just say we'll find out later as I don't want spoiled.

We find out later but it's something a lot of people seem to miss.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Xander77 posted:

How does Rufus even know he should hurry up and take a heli ride to the company headquarters because his dad just got massacred?

(Unless he engineered it...)

Palmer probably called him. Who knows how long our heroes had been sleeping, Shinra might've already been dead an hour or two.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't know why everyone is so down on what's about to happen. Calling it "exposition" makes me think of those 20-minute long MGS4 cutscenes where people just stand around and explain things at you.

The flashback in the next update will be "exposition" but in a manner that is quite well done. Several of the scenes coming up were some of the most memorable in the entire game for me.

Midgar was fun but now the real plot begins. Sort of.

I agree, I always liked the flashback, even on repeat playthroughs.

The next few areas are still pretty interesting and eventful in my opinion, it's when we reach the last third of Disc 1 where it starts getting boring and tedious and kinda loses focus on the main plot.

Though it'll pick up toward the end of the disc again.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 25, 2011

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

FF7 was actually the first game I played on the PS1 (other than a little Army Men at a friend's house), and it always made more sense to me that X would be cancel and O would be select.

Seriously, I never understood why they change that in so many western versions of japanese games.

(In all the subsequent FF games you still press O to confirm and X to cancel it was just changed in the US and PAL releases. They do that to a lot of games actually.)

I got the PC version in like 2003 and it ran pretty well on my PC, (Except that I couldn't turn on hardware acceleration.) but since I hadn't played the PS1 version in years I couldn't figure out how I was ever able to enjoy the music in the game.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 29, 2011

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
I don't think it was in FFVIII though.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
You know, Jenova never really creeped me out that much...

Elentor posted:

...this on the other hand...it's much worse if you actually see it in motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29euU5fNqk8#t=10m20s

quote:

We wake up to this music.

This game is very good at setting a disturbing atmosphere with the soundtrack.

It should be noted that the dramatic synth chorus part doesn't set in until after this line.

quote:

I always liked this particular moment.

Pesky Splinter posted:

On topic: what is that creepy...mask thing for? I mean, Sephiroth just rips it from its cables and throws it aside.

dust cover

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 5, 2011

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
I always thought those mutant guys in the egg tanks were once normal SOLDIER members who got infused with loads of Mako and Jenova cells and this are the results and not that they were actually "produced" like Sephiroth.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

the amber trap posted:

Oh that reminds me!
Do the monsters that you see in the random encounters on the way to the reactor at all resemble the the "hatchling" in the flashback video? I seem to remember being a little confused because there wasn't any obvious similarity.

No, there aren't any humanoid enemies in the area at all, neither in the flashback nor later.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Renoistic posted:

One of the Youtube comments say that Sony translated the final game while the demo was translated by Square themselves. No idea if that's true, though.

The European translations were done by Sony at least. (Based on the english translation of course, so you've got a bad translation of a bad translation...actually that's true for most european non-english translations of japanese games.)

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
I got stuck on the swamp for a while when I first played it, I didn't realize you had to get off the Chocobo to enter the cave on the other side and I didn't want to risk it anyway in case I couldn't go back if I needed to.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
For now, Cloud, Barrett and Yuffie.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Elentor posted:

That's just coincidence. She can appear anytime.

I don't know if it's just coincidence as well but in all my playthroughs she only appeared when one of my characters was at least level 19/20, I usually get to the Fort Condor/Junon area at around level 16 and without fail, as soon as I've leveled up a bit she will start to appear in every fourth battle or so but before that, nothing.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
Oh, by the way, you might not have to do those strategy battles at all to get the rewards...if you let the enemy reach the reactor it'll trigger a (very easy) boss fight and as long as you defeat him it still counts as victory. I can't remember if you get the same rewards but it works for the huge materia.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

tl;dr: I wouldn't mind there being lots of secrets if they weren't obtuse and permanently missable.

The only somewhat obtuse thing is meeting her in battle in the first place but later in the game you're forced to travel through much bigger forest areas on the world map so there's a good chance you'll meet her eventually and if you screw up the next part you should really recognize her as Yuffie from the manual, try again and eventually you'll get her. And she's not permanently missable at all, you could even get her right before heading in the final dungeon.

And even if you get her relatively late in the game (On my first playthrough I only found her on disc 2.) you're not missing out on much character development or backstory on her because in her case that's all done in two optional sidequests one of which can be done until the end of disc 2, the other one is open the entire game.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
The moment we left Costa Del Sol is the moment we officially reached the worst part of Disc 1 and maybe the whole game. The next few places, "dungeons", and events are so goddamn boring and tedious. At least the Gold Saucer looks nice, I guess.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
That little guy in the basement looks like Sakaguchi.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
You might be able to get that materia in Bone Village on Disc 3 if you miss it here.

A few other missable items can be found there at least. Not that it'd be of any use that late in the game unless you're going for a 100% run in which case you know what you're doing and wouldn't miss it in the first place.

And I agree, I always thought Esther was a transvestite. It's the only possibility!

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
I think this is actually the one and only time in the game that you can learn of Aeris's past relationship with Zack, if you don't have her in your party the first time you speak to his parents, too bad, there's no way to trigger her dialogue later.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
As far as I know that scene was supposed to be in the original japanese release but was omitted because they had to rush the game's release. Maybe they changed the events that were supposed to lead to this scene so much when they decided to take it out that they couldn't figure out a better place to put it other than to make it optional when they reinserted it in the US version.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 4, 2012

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

I never knew about that conversation between Yuffie and her father. That was actually pretty neat.

And I had no idea that it was actually missable, I always assumed it was one of the required steps to proceed with her sidequest.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Olibu posted:

The only exception I can think of is the poster in the Shinra building.

You can still get that on disc 3, while this part of Yuffie's sidequests gets inaccessible once you get to the last disc.

It's still a big enough window of opportunity, I only got Yuffie and Vincent and finished their respective sidequests near the end of disc 2 without anyone telling me about it on my first playthrough.

Actually, I met Yuffie on disc 1 already, in the forest area near Cosmo Canyon (I completly missed Gongaga though.) but failed to recruit her and after a few tries I didn't encounter her anymore until I tried it again later.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Canemacar posted:

I've never been as engrossed in the atmosphere of a game, like I was with FVII, and the backgrounds(with the music) is a big reason why. The Midgar slums have a powerful feeling of poverty and being beaten down that I haven't seen in any modern game.

This reminds me of a detail I'm a little fuzzy about.Who is The voice that talks to Cloud in his head? I can't remember if it's Zack(or Cloud's memory of him), Sephiroth's influence manifested, or just his fractured psyche.

It's his real personality.

I was always a little confused how Cloud's appearently the only person to have heard of the black materia before and how it's "too complicated" when it's really not and he doesn't even realize what Sephiroth is planning to do with it until he's explicitly told so later in the game.

VVVVVVV

You can take anyone you want on a ride but I don't think they have any dialogue outside of this date scene.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 22, 2012

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
All I'd ever wish for is a new translation, you don't need to change anything else.:(

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
Why did they have these gaping mouth holes in the PC version?

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Saucy! posted:

Yeah, why is it that the enhanced detail (or whatever they call it) model of Sephiroth has that huge black dot on his face? I assume it's supposed to be his mouth, but, why is it so big? Is his jaw permanently dropped in surprise? Did his lips get stung by a bee at a KISS concert? Is he a mouthbreather? I imagine it'd be kind of hard to take some world-ending demigod seriously if you can hear his soft palate vibrating up and down every half-second like that kid from Hey Arnold.

The thing is, it's not just him, almost every character had this face hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Elentor posted:

I think the Gaia thing was there at the Ultimania guide. In any case FF7's world is a literal interpretation of the Gaia hypothesis so it's really the best name they could come up either way.

About Tseng - I'm going with the official story when it's applicable, as much as the EU sucks. But I thought when I first played the game he was injured but going to survive.

I always thought he was dead and AC retconned it, however, according to crazy old ImpAtom in the FF Megathread, (The old one I think.) the japanese script made it clearer that he actually survived.

• Locked thread