Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You crazy bastard. Also well done on the style of the magazines. GOD brady guides were such a lovely rear end guide. Hell I still have my FF8 PC Guide one. Ya know, the thick little book. Probably the worst offender was DQ8. Holy hell it was a bad guide. I know bonus stuff is bonus stuff, but at least cover the goddamn bonus dungeons instead of saying HARD ENEMIES, be HIGH level.

gently caress you Brady Guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Worst idea. :colbert:

Not all the dungeons were as bad as the Ancient One. Besides, you trying to stall the updates?

I see what you are planning, you punk.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rigged Death Trap posted:

How he got mistaken for a Squall-esque I'll never know.

I blame Nomura. Cloud always gets mistaken for being emo. He was not, he was a sarcastic smart rear end, and was awesome.

Also I chuckled at you using the Nail Bat as an Omnislash. That was great.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

darealkooky posted:

cait sith owns get out haters

He's annoying little prick. gently caress him. How about you get out. :colbert: Also yes gently caress that Demon wall boss, back then when you didn't know there was so many sidquests (without using gamefaqs) he pretty much handed your rear end to you because you might not be properly leveled.

That or the fact he kills your entire party pretty quick. Also not ever using Aeris was a really REALLY bad idea.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 13, 2012

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I've read through several pages since the last update, and I haven't seen anyone else say this, so...Am I the only one who was actually glad Aeris was gone?

I just didn't like her. She was overly blunt, had next to no tact, and was a ready and willing manipulator of the people around her into doing whatever she wanted. That her limits made her the "White Mage" just seemed to grate on me further, disregarding my normal aversion to using White Mages anyway. She just felt like a bad person who spritzed on a little flowery perfume and tried to pretend to be someone much better. Being forced to use her through the Temple of Ancients didn't help at all because not only was she underleveled (I made it through anyway) but I didn't like her mechanically or as a character.

Watching Sephiroth drop down and dispose of a character I found completely distasteful cemented him as a long-time favorite villain for me. But it looks like I was playing the game wrong.

Also, this whole ocean side discussion has been really interesting. I grew up landlocked in the desert, Colorado specifically, and while I've always been a bit freaked out by the unknowable horrors that live in the depths the ocean itself doesn't bother me. My first thought upon seeing the Atlantic for the first time was "I wanna fight it."

...I'm thinking maybe something's just wrong with me.

Go to hell you heartless monster. The only thing I find more annoying is how today they switched Aeris character from the spunky energetic to the down earth girl. It made no sense at all. As for the ocean itself. Never was really afraid of it, I love swimming. I mostly grew up swimming the waters of Mexico.

I can't stand swimming in the Pacific Ocean. Feels like jumping into a tub of ice.

edit: Caith Sith still sucks. That scene where he shows up again. Felt so weird, it was one of those does it look I give a drat you are back? No? gently caress off and go back into being one of never be used party member pile.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

The White Dragon posted:

Is this a longitudinal thing and are you like in Washington trying to go for a quick dip or are you still around Central America, just opposite the Gulf? Because I mean if it's the former then that kind of explains a lot.

Nah I live in Northern California. It's mostly due to the fact I swam alot as a kid in Mexico's waters. Around near Manzanillo which is basically a little city surrounded by oceans. The water is warm, and rarely cold. So I'm not really used to swimming in water that is cold as hell. Also I tend to go beaches like Half Moon Bay or Monterey.

Regarding Aeris scene, I did like how simple it was with just having the characters actions/behaviors telling all. Yes the sad theme did touch upon it but back then even blocky characters gave the message across. While the CG scene didn't really have Cloud crying, it worked.

If it was today, he probably be doing a cheesy one liner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Here's a general guideline. If it ain't been mentioned, don't loving talking about it. You would be surprised that some people want to see it fresh. Hell Elentor manage to accomplish something. One of the most known spoilers in video game history and one person didn't see it coming. So try not to assume just because we all know what happens doesn't make it go ahead to go spoil something regardless if isn't plot or not. It's in the OP, simple as that.

Also guess Cid wasn't a big sailor mouthed guy like I thought he was. It was probably the same for Barret. The censorship just made it more funny to imagine what they were saying. I always thought he said something like you loving poo poo, or rear end! For it to be something more simple is pretty funny itself.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 9, 2012

• Locked thread