Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hey Elentor I just wanted to say I'm really loving this LP. I've played FFVII a frankly obscene number of times and I'm still learning new poo poo here, it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dauntasa posted:

Well, I haven't played in a while, but I thought you could definitely get there while Cloud was still around.

I'm sure I've been to Mideel at this point as well, but it's been so long that my brain might be making poo poo up. If I did go it seems it must have been a glitch or something.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

MagusofStars posted:

It's not as good as Mideel itself, but in Disc 1, it's notably better than anywhere else you've got. Aqualung/Beta make the fights pretty fast and minimally dangerous and the XP/gil/AP rewards are notably better than other places you have access to. Being on the world map (so you can easily save/Tent or leave) helps too.

The game is easy enough that you usually don't need to grind. But if you do, it's the best place to do it in Disc 1.

Yeah I did this once (might be where I'm remembering actually getting to Mideel itself) and it was amazingly good for all manner of grinding. It's an excellent place whether you want Exp or AP, and the gil and limit stuff isn't bad at all either.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

janusmaxwell posted:

a pathetic little minor thing I've always been proud of with this game is the secret bonus point target on the roller coaster ride on the Golden Saucer amusement park. It's one of the searchlights on the absolute last part of the race, if you put your crosshair in the lowest-right corner of the screen, you'll hit it no problem.

I just did that not twenty minutes ago; it worked for me on the lower-left. It's one of the searchlights on the left side, but the way the coaster swings in I think you can hit it from the lower-right as well.

e; I've been playing with the mod that adds Venus, Locke, and Theo (among others) and it's pretty great so far, though there are a couple of really brutal enemies that will wreck your poo poo if you don't run away. It's nice actually having to think about how to best do things again though, I've grown so used to breaking FFVII that it's a weird reminder of the first time I played it. The mod is gjoerulv's Hardcore mod, if anyone's wondering.

After this play I might try that Nightmare difficulty mod I saw for even greater punishment :haw:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 10, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DeathChicken posted:

Was Tseng a stab or a slash?

He was still talking when you found him. Must have been a slash.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Zeikier posted:

It might have been my hardware or whatever, but actually getting the patch to work that's been talked about was a pain. It eventually happened, but...that mod is the farthest thing from "user-friendly." Or "playable."

It might be strange to some, but the hard-type patch from Insane Difficulty has better handling in terms of challenge. It's still hard, but it's a very interesting rebalance that doesn't pull a bunch of counter-intuitive weirdness. The worst it does is obnoxious status procs here and there.

Gjoerulv's hack, right off the bat, cuts both your arms off, ties a leg behind your back and says "Walk."

Yeah Gjoerulv's is a vicious bastard at the start. The first reactor was pretty much the hardest part of the game, as you've got extremely limited magic and items. Once you get past that it lightens up a good deal, and I'm really loving it now because going into fights where you need to figure out actual tactics, use items, and inflict status effects is awesome. I just beat Lost Number last night and it was a hell of a fight that I only managed with a good deal of thought and preparation, as well as some luck, but drat it was rewarding as hell when I won.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Two Finger posted:

We're still yet to cover pretty much my favourite sequence in the entire game, too.

But Scarlet and Tifa already had their slapfight? :confused:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I actually thought Chapter 50 was scanned from a real magazine of the era when I first read it. It was incredible.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Saucy! posted:

You don't, it's completely possible to gently caress up every Huge Materia segment except Fort Condor (I think? Unless losing against the commander doesn't game-over you I don't know how else you'd fail that one). You do have to be trying to lose for at least one of them though.

Nope, if you lose the minigame and then to the commander, you get kicked out of the fort and don't get the huge materia. You also can't get back in because the rope to climb up is now missing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

FeyerbrandX posted:

You all forget...

Spiders may absorb fire.

There is no hope from the fire spiders

This is the real 'crisis of the planet'.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Quirkk posted:

It doesn't actually affect the damage done though, it's just a sort of animation glitch.

I remember when I first discovered this was the case and I was heartbroken that my clever scheme was foiled :negative:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Akett posted:

You might be thinking about during evolution, mashing B does nothing positive or negative to the catch attempt.

SCANDALOUS LIES!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

kalonZombie posted:

No, it's true.

Down pressing down and B right as the Pokeball opens on the other hand...

(still does nothing i know)

Oh I know :smith: I just... my childhood beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I love this part of the game. The reveal is just amazing.

• Locked thread