Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate
I discovered this thread only very recently, and only right after going through a BIG Voices of the Lifestream kick. This thread was the impetus to me setting up my PS2 (whose drawer only opens enough to squeeze a disc out before saying "I can't open" and closing again) and starting again. I'm now just past the Mythril Mines grinding limits. I'm also picking up a lot of things I never knew about (and doing enemy skills, which I haven't really played with before because I'm impatient oftentimes).

Elentor, I truly hope to hear more of your hypnotic voice in the future, and I look forward to you bashing the next boss (which I forget, because I always breezed through this part of the game to rush on to... a couple locations from now.

FF7 is what started me on the long, dark path of playing RPGs until I get to just before the final boss, then grinding to become as powerful as possible until I get frustrated/bored of grinding and lose interest in the game. This is activating all sorts of nostalgia for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

KataraniSword posted:

Kind of like how [sometimes] a copy editor will put [bracketed words] into quoted statements that weren't actually [said], in order to give some [context].

My opinion on Cait Sith is as follows.

rear end in a top hat only gets two limit breaks. Other people get seven.

That makes him ONE FOURTH OF A PARTY MEMBER. :colbert:

I would debunk that mathematically, but I don't want to spoil anything. If I remember down the line once we get to the part I'm thinking of, I'll try to bring it back up.

I still hate the stupid fortune teller.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Looks non-robotic to me!

Yeah, but look at those narrow, straight hips! Clearly a man.

I honestly always took it as "Man, what a goofy dress that lady is wearing, especially for hanging out in a prison."

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

Cangelosi posted:

Wow, this game is not so nice to fat people. First Wedge gets dropped during the pillar fight, then President Shinra is Masamune'd, then Palmer gets hit by a truck, and now Don Corneo falls miles to his death.

Sort of a hidden social allegory beneath all of that, don't you think?

Pretty sure that anything beneath that is quite flattened at this point.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

Cuchulain posted:

Can't you just hit yourself with Enemy Skills?

Yes, but it does not teach the skill. That would be way too easy.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

Rushputin posted:

Midgar has always been at war with Wutai.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Don't worry, updates should be coming relatively soon. The big problem is that there's no Wutai continent in Famicom FF7, and no Yuffie, so basically until we get back on track to the main plot, I don't think there's really enough for a full update.

Not in Famicon FF7 they haven't...

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

Sefal posted:

What is the EU thing everyone keeps talking about? a google search yielded nothing. and i can only think of the european version. but i think that that was just the same as the american one. i'm really puzzled and wondering what kind of things EU did to ff7.

It stands for "Extended Universe," and contains everything Square put out after FF7, including Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus. It expands upon the story started (and finished, imho) by Cloud, et al. It also turns fine characters into prats and certain talking, mog-riding cats into Scotsmen. A lot of it is really terrible.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

Glazius posted:

Well, you are gambling. And sometimes you lose.

It's like playing roulette, putting down a big stack on Black, and then the guy pulling out a new wheel that is all red.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You are because Aeris will appear to Cloud as a force ghost after Cloud eviscerates his snowboard for shelter from the cold.

I thought snowboards smelled bad on the outside...

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

CLOUD Strife keeps picking on Midgar's wildlife! Stealing their drinks and then running off! And he makes sure to keep his girlfriend from experiencing anything with violence! He responds to every challenge by telling one of his friends to do it for him then playing dead - what a coward!! He has no ethics in his private life, so how would he fare in public office...? How can we trust a man with no experience!?

:golfclap:

I like where this thread is going.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

Geg posted:

I didn't know about that, Yuffie won't steal your materia if it's leveled up enough?

She has a limit to the number of material she can steal. Late game, you have so many that you're still powerful after she does.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

Attitude Indicator posted:

If you look at the maps for cities in 12, you'll see that they are all just small corridors with no particular point to them.

If you look at your surroundings in 12, you'll see that the corridors are made to look like bustling city streets with lots of shops and residences, whether you can go into every door or not. I agree that they're a bit large and tedious, but most RPG cities are either ovals or corridors with shops stuck to the side, if you just look at the map. I, personally, felt that 12 did a decent job of making cities feel like cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah, it seems like they did fill them up with as much NPCs as possible, even if the majority are non-interactable (and quite a few are)

And that was one of my favorite decisions of theirs. Who walks around a city and speaks to literally everybody and expects to get a response? Most people wouldn't give you the time of day, and I'm sure this would be true in fantasy settings too.

• Locked thread