Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Dauntasa posted:

Part of that was Square not really knowing how to translate games with voice acting. They didn't bother changing any of the lip movements, so the VAs had to talk weird to make their lines match. It's especially noticable when they say "Okay". I assume the Japanese equivalent only has one syllable, because they say it much faster than normal.

EDIT: Although there's no excuse for a certain scene in Luca.

A lot of lines are actually digitally sped up in post to make them fit the timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

The Dark Id posted:

Final Fantasy 9 had a short animation every time after the first (with the longer one being a rare powered up version.) Final Fantasy VII and VIII though? Pfft. gently caress no!

This is a game mechanic and you can learn a skill that gives you the long version every time.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Well Crisis Core was mostly penned by the original FF7 scenario writers, I figure they had to take Dirge of Cerberus (whose story was not written or overseen by any of the original FF7 writers as far as I know) character of Genesis and do something with him, and to that end I think it works OK. Shinra is pretty good at covering poo poo up, I figure the inconsistency is explained by them just wiping the records of the two other first-class SOLDIERs. Unfortunately for them Sephiroth is too well known to just dismiss as having never existed, but even then they still managed to keep the Nibelheim incident away from the public eye.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

My theory about FFVIII is that they had a bunch of individual scenes planned but no coherent plot to string it together. So they had to come up with something at the last minute to make into a complete story. It explains why there are all these individually cool moments and concepts while the overarching plot is garbage.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

I managed to clock over 120 hours in FFXII, but due to the pace of the plot and the fact that it just dives off a cliff near the end, it still felt short.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Rirse posted:

They could just used the Dark Cloud sprite for JENOVA. Already know they are not afraid to use FFIII sprites since the major villain from that game was used as one of Hojo's random experiments.

There's always one of the other three forms.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Amidiri posted:

Also can we not talk about the Horrors of Final Fantasy VII Fanfiction because that is a hole with no bottom :(

This thread truly are sick.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

I'd imagine the reason you only see combat materia is that most of it comes from refineries and useless materia is discarded. Anything that ends up in slum shops is probably second hand.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Decoy Badger posted:

Why are the polycounts for the characters so low? PS1 games like MGS had way more detailed characters, FF7 graphics remind me of Total Annihilation but with a much lower unit count.

Shiki Dan posted:

FF7 started development in 1994 and was also released over a year and a half before MGS.
I don't think they're very comparable.
MGS is closer to FF8's development life, and to its credit the models in FF8 are a significant improvement.

The actual in-battle models of characters in FF7 have a great poly-count than the character models in FF8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Dastardly posted:

I found the squeaky noise to be really unsettling. I don't know where the gently caress it's supposed to be coming from, is it the wheelchair creaking because Cloud is spazzing around in it?

I assumed Cloud was wheezing. Do you know what it's like to have Mako pneumonia?

• Locked thread