Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just found this thread thanks to the quotes thread. I just want to say that the boss fight at the end of Cosmo Canyon's stupid dungeons is so ridiculous. I sat there mouth agape when I first fought him because he was pushing my poo poo in left and right, and then I accidently used a phoenix down on... I could not believe a phoenix down would kill him instantly. I didn't read any manuals the first time so of course I had no idea healing stuff worked on that boss.

Anyway I love final fantasy 7 to death and I'm going to read through the rest of this LP now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I'm currently making my way through all the chapters, and there's one part early on that always bugged me and it seems odd that they never fixed it (and it's the only place in the game I recall it happening).

In Don Corneo's mansion in the torture room, there's the stairs to go to the main floor. When you or any character runs up it, the character model squishes. I think I spent like 5 minutes the first time I played it running up and down the stairs thinking maybe my TV is messed up or what.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

To answer your survey thing from earlier, I love the Bits & Bytes segments and I love when you go "Now before we proceed, I want to talk about X for a minute" (X being a particular character or place)".

I've played FF7 several times, but there's still been things in this LP I didn't know about (and watching you completely break encounters I had such a bitch of a time with) is great. I can't wait to see how you destroy one boss in particular that's coming up soon that I wasn't prepared for (because I didn't bother having a certain someone in my party at all the entire game up to that point the first time I played) that I hate the most out of all the bosses.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

And for some reason, my favorite part of the game is the beginning, in Midgar. There's just something about it that I love...

It's not my favorite part, but I remember when I first played the game, didn't know anything about Final Fantasy, and assumed the entire game was going to be going from reactor to reactor blowing them up until we finally saved the planet. Like the entire game was going to be in Midgar, and the entire game would end once that final reactor was destroyed.

And then. Well. drat

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

You'd think with how successful all their Final Fantasy 7 spinoff poo poo is, they'd finally remake the goddamn game but NOPE

edit: I literally just want graphics remake. Ingame and cutscenes. Keep everything else the same, that's okay with me!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't want excuses, I want results! :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
IT'S BLUTO

dun dun dun daaaaa

IT'S BLUTO

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Might be alone in my opinion here, but i'd rather this thread be about FF7. There's a million page thread in Games about the Final Fantasy series so it just seems pointless to talk about 12 and others here.

While I do kind of agree, it's hard to talk about Final Fantasy 7 in any kind of real detail without spoiling things that he hasn't played through yet.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Uggghhh hurry up and get into the temple of the ancients so I can bitch about my most hated part of the game!

Also yay Kjata!!! :neckbeard:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Concordat posted:

Even 100 Super Jumps in Mario RPG?

I think he meant things that aren't impossible.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Elentor posted:

I never played Super Mario RPG, surprisingly. You're talking about the SNES game, right?

Yeah (it owns (play it))

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah, I seem to remember the guards not letting you take the elevator, forcing you to take the dolphin and fight the monster. Cause I mean, you have to go that way or else you don't run past [EDIT: actually editing this part out cause I think it's a spoiler still] and you don't come in the back way to accidently end up in the parade.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I still must have missed it or don't get it or something. The post a few posts up didn't really answer it. The low level run, how are bosses not one shotting you by now? Or even some regular enemies? I understand healing wind is apparently really good, but even so. Shouldn't some boss attacks be way more than your HP?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Aha sorry I totally didn't even get the damage reduction thing. Thanks for explaining more though, that's interesting.

The idea of the last boss not one shotting a level 7 with that one attack is hilarious.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:psyduck:

That's ridiculous, Final Fantasy 7 you're ridiculous

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Thanks for linking that NOW :mad:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

So much plastic...

Such a wasted life :smith:

And Cloud selling out for Pepsi. Cloud, you shameless tool.

Those little figurines remind me of some guys models that he put into the PC version of VII:

Cloud field model:

Battle model:

Sephiroth:

Right-handed?

This is really cool!! Did he do every model in the game? Goddamnit blizz Square, give me a loving remake GODDAMNIT

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I REALLY wanted this thing when I saw it in the window of some japanese store in the mall

The price tag was like... $300 or $400 though so THAT never happened.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Elentor posted:

Sorry for the lack of updates, I can't even say it's work this time. Health issues :smith:

Dude spoilers

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Elentor posted:

I'm trying to have people make their own conclusions. Even though FF7 is famous for its spoilers, the most important aspects of the game are seldom mentioned.

I'm even willing to say that most people who beat the game, by fault of the poor translation, missed a lot of these things.

I thought I understood what was going on when I played it years ago, but I read the wiki on it recently and boy I didn't know poo poo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Brainamp posted:

That guy really doesn't get Barret does he?

No see Barret is like Mr. T because he's black and ??????

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, if FF7 is re-released, they shouldn't change a thing about the dialogue. Just do whatever to the graphics.

This is literally all I want. I don't want a retranslation, I don't want voice acting, I don't even really want them to update the music (though a fully orchestrated soundtrack for the game would be neat). I just want them to update the graphics. Though people in this thread have made good points that makes me not want that as much anymore, because Cloud has a certain charm in VII that is lost in the various sequels and Advent Children. His spikey hair is not as good in recent games because they try to make it work realistically

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Momomo posted:

Hearing "This guy are sick :geno:" from her KH2 va would be great. Her voice was probably the most monotone I've ever heard.

God her voice in KH2 was terrible. I liked Mandy Moore's voice for her, but I admit it probably wouldn't work with out she's portrayed in 7. But Mena Suvari was just AWFUL. She wasn't as bad as Cid's voice though which was just... goddamn

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Elentor posted:

Penguinmambo, spoiler tag your poo poo. Your second to last post is really obvious and there's nothing I hate more than wink-wink.

Stop talking about Aeris in the past tense as if something happens to her. This is a NO SPOILER LP. Anyone with half a brain can put 2 and 2 together. I know this sounds mind-blowing but there are people in the Internet who STILL don't know what happens in this game.

STOP HINTING AT FUTURE EVENTS.

I dunno man. It's basically the video gamed equivalent of Darth Vader telling Luke he's his father at this point.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Basically what I'm saying is that Aeris turns out to be Cloud's father sorry for spoiling the ending of your LP Elentor

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FillInTheBlank posted:

For those who are bad at visualising hex colours;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doI9mJaBvfE

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I was nicer to Tifa than Aeris my first playthrough so I got Tifa as my date. I was in middle school when I played 7 for the first time, so of course I went with the short skirted big boobed one! On top of that, I never had Aeris in my party until the game forces her on you for the Temple of the Ancients. So the Temple was the biggest pain in the rear end for me. The last boss of that place was a nightmare because I didn't know all these little tricks and Aeris was underleveled compared to everyone else.

When I played through it again, I kept Aeris on my team specifically because it forced her into your party. Things went a lot smoother the second time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Reading this thread + http://youtu.be/GCtQmwJ1WAY =

(click for the spoiler version)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I forgot about that door thing. That poo poo was annoying.

I do love when Sephiroth stabs the ground to hurt the planet.

Also that last picture in your update is perfect

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh good, you finally got to this part of the game so I can vent now.gently caress that goddamned piece of poo poo wall boss. As mentioned, I didn't use Aeris on my first run through, so when the game forced her into my party, that temple wrecked her. But the wall boss was the BIGGEST pain in the rear end in that place. Oh neat thanks keep dropping those rocks onto my entire party's head and oh look Aeris is dead again why can't i switch her out GODDAMNIT!!!! Aaaargh that boss made me so angry.

Also Cloud is awesome. "....something" haha what an rear end in a top hat.

edit: :lol: That Aeris wall boss kill was amazing

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 13, 2012

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

What's Social Life, is that some new Sims expansion?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Faraday Cage posted:

I have too much free time.

Yes, two of my favorites in one game Squarekonami please make this

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

She's trying to woo Cloud you FOOLS it's like you're not even paying attention to the game!!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I actually looked up Vinny on google to figure out who you were talking about and then felt like an idiot

edit: I would LOVE to see you over analyze the outfits in Kingdom Hearts. I thought it was really neat how they blended Square aesthetics with Disney aesthetics

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 21, 2012

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

"Oh this new character is neat, let me put him in my party. Oh look at this weird scorpion spider boss thing, let's put Vincent to the test. Oh neat he transformed into some hellbeast with his limit! Wait stop vincent what are you doing no, fire spells heal him. No vincent stop! NOOOOOO"

:argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Barret is the best.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Copper Kaiser posted:

And that's something else too, Cloud has up to this point acted as your avatar in the game but seeing him doing something like this abruptly severed that connection somewhat. I know that when I first played this part I actually felt ashamed, pretty powerful stuff coming from a game at the time.

It's cool that it doesn't take control away from you, even though you lose control of Cloud. You can move around ghost-child Cloud, but you lose all control of your physical self at that point. It's cool that you lose control of your character but don't at the same time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

We're almost at the location that has one of my favorite pieces of music in the game :dance:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

simplefish posted:

Based on this:

I figure it's okay to talk about a Barret's 3.1 Limit Break, Satellite Beam.

I was thinking:
How does Barrett get Satellite Beam as a limit break if the Shinra Rocket never made it into space?

"Wouldn't it be cool if one of Barrett's limit breaks was LAZERS from SPACE?!"
"Um YES"

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It's finally here :smith:

I'd just like to reiterate how good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBRAkpXTmCs the City of the Ancients music is. I know the big deal this time is Aeris' theme, and it's an amazing song no doubt (and the music playing OVER the fight with Jenova is a REALLY nice touch). But "You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet" is one of my most favorite tracks in the game (and the one I mentioned in one of my recent posts). It captures the feel of that places 100% perfectly.

edit: I will say your sudden change of the rest of the party was kind of weird :v:

edit 2: Are you going to do a write up on the bone village at some point? I know there's nothing super great item wise you can get, but the background in that area has a LOT of detail. I swear there's an X in one spot, and there's clearly a broken jet there.

Oh yeah, and I love how you made the one picture a gif so the light was animated.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 28, 2012

• Locked thread