Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Doctor Roosevelt posted:

I meant the items like Ghost Hands. Real pros max out an all materia, then sell it for 1.5 million gil, spending the money made on 99 of everything from then on, as well as fast cars, loose women, and prime real estate :whatup: Then get someone else to farm that crap for you.

Although for stuff like hard to come by weapons and armors, I would get enough for the maximum number of party members (it occurs to me now that you're going for the straight-up "perfect game").

It never even occurred to me to get 99 of every item, and I've played through this game tons of times. I always sell the crap I don't need. I don't like it making GBS threads up my inventory. So, I guess I'm more in your camp about what I consider "perfect game."

I mean, I still do all the sidequests and get multiple sets of master materia. I still break the game into a thousand pieces. That, to me, is much more important (and a lot less tedious, good God!) than getting 99 of every item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I don't even remember Pandora's Box, so I'd actually like to know more about it in general.

It's a very easily missable Enemy Skill. You learn it from an enemy in the final dungeon. You can only learn it from the first of these enemies you encounter, and never again. The enemy casts it when it dies. Don't have all your Enemy Skill materia equipped? gently caress you! Somehow managed to get the enemy to burn through all its MP so it can't cast the spell? gently caress you!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

a spooky ghost posted:

There's kind of a big gently caress you in FFIX for people who finally [pretending FFVIII didn't exist/i don't remember if you could even sell weapons in FFVIII] got to sell off their initial equipment. The place where your earlier weapons do the most damage, sort of like Poo in Earthbound, I guess.

pre-edit: now I am looking through my FFIX guide to find evidence of this and cannot. i don't even know how i would have had such a vivid memory of this.

Yes, well in that game there are other reasons for not selling off your old stuff (besides Ipsen's Castle): synthesis shops. Some items required for later synthesis recipes are unavailable past a certain point in the game. Sold off your only ones? Too bad. Plus, you learn abilities through equipment in that game, so I just found myself hoarding everything.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

iTrust posted:

I have opted to make Squall is dead my own personal 'canon' for the events of Final Fantasy 8. This is primarily because I hold the game itself in such contempt that anything else is a pointless exercise in understanding a 'story' that can go gently caress itself.

Thanks for posting that. I had heard of the "Squall is dead" theory but never read about it. Wish there was a nice, succinct summary of "Rinoa is Ultimecia" rather than a long, spergy thread on Gamfaqs, but I digress.

That theory makes so much sense, it's scary! Sadly, I have to disregard it for exactly that reason. It makes too much sense, and it's waaaaay to subtle. If playing Final Fantasy games for the last decade has taught me anything, it's they don't do subtle. The plot beats you over the head with the nearest blunt object (even if it does it in a way that makes no goddamn sense).

Still, it was a good read. I wish it were true.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Eh, in this game (and in most Final Fantasies, I guess), it's perfectly possible to just mash the attack button on your way to victory through the whole game. Sure, you'd probably have to grind for tougher fights, and there's no way you could beat the optional bosses, but basically there's nothing being over-levelled won't fix. The complex battle mechanics really only come into play if you don't want to just beat the game, but break it in two over your knee. If you're the sort of person who likes to laugh as enemy attacks bounce harmlessly off you while you steamroll them with the juggernaut that is your party, such complex battle mechanics are welcome.

Personally, I like finding ways to make the game cry out for mercy.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

MGlBlaze posted:

Yeah, Full Cure was pretty much pointless.
Except to get the Master Magic materia... should I spoiler this?

As for Mega All, it basically made every other materia that could link with an 'All' materia act is if it was linked with an All materia if I remember right.

Not only that. It also attaches the "all" action to every command materia you have equipped, and your regular "attack" command, making it slash-all. It's pretty fantastic. I just wish it didn't override Double Cut. 4x cut is so much more useful than Slash-all, but oh well. Mega All is still pretty sweet.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Elentor posted:

Next update I'm letting you guys pick up my party because honestly I can't decide. So many different ways of breaking the game with each and every one of them.

I always liked Red, [next party member], and Cloud.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Elentor posted:

Guys, I said "next update", not "in 120 pages".

Aeris and Red then, for team genetic freaks.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Don't lie to us. You secretly wish to carry on Hojo's research.

Hmm, well I am a scientist, but Hojo-ology is not really my field. I'd be more the type to study the genetic freaks that arise from Hojo's tinkering in their natural habitat.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I second the recommendation for Tactics, and I'll add to it Tactics Advanced and A2: Grimoire of the Rift. The latter is a DS game.

Also, I've only played FF4 on the DS, and I really enjoyed it. That augment system is pretty dumb though, and I did not appreciate being forced into one particular party. That just seemed like a giant step back. But that's probably the fault of the game itself and not the DS remake.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Himuro posted:

When I first played FF7, I thought Midgar was the whole world. I didn't look at any pre-release media aside from a preview in Gamepro and the tv commercial. Still, when they left Midgar for the first time and you stepped out into the world map - remember this was my first rpg - my mind pretty much blown.

"Wait, this game has an actual world in it? And you walk around plains and mountains and marshes and caves?"

Thus started my rpg obsession. That moment solidified why I am still in love with the genre to this day: the thirst for adventure.

Wow, you and I are of the same mind! FF7 was the first "serious" RPG I ever played. My only previous RPG experience was Super Mario RPG (still love that game!). I knew absolutely nothing about the game before hand. I only picked it up because I'd read about it in a gaming magazine and I wondered what all the fuss was about (this was around when FF8 was announced). I thought, given the game's early progression, that the whole game would be able blowing up the reactors one by one, sort of like "do x thing y times to beat the game" I had seen in other games.

Thus, I naturally thought President Shinra would be the main villain. Boy was my mind blown when you get to the top floor of the building and see him slumped over his desk, dead. :aaa:

And then, you get out to the world map and :aaa: there's so much more to this game! Time to go exploring! :dance:

I still love exploring in games, exploring and finding treasure. As for modern games that capture that spirit, I think Pokemon is great for that. It still has the "go out into the world and have an adventure!" feel to it. The Zelda series still does that pretty well too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

Considering I have several FFTA2 saves and MULTIPLE (as in, at least one for each 'generation') Pokémon saves that all clock in at over 100 hours played?

Yes. Yes, I am perfectly willing to accept that I in fact have a grave spergsickness.

Haha, you too? :hfive:

I'm pretty sure my Pearl file topped 600 hours, last time I checked. I think that's my record though. White hasn't gotten anywhere near that long. Yet. I say, yet, because it will happen.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I remember how I used to do the Battle Square was I equipped as much Counterattack materia as possible. Then on the first round I cast Big Guard and Regen.

Then I was pretty much on auto-pilot the whole time. It was boring, but it was effective. The Enemy Skill materia tears that place apart, at least until they take it away from you!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

It really doesn't matter, though, because Joe sucks as a jokey. Really. His chocobo might have 1249 stamina, but does he take advantage of that and sprint constantly, or various other cheap things he could do? No!

Fact his, his chocobo will always have higher stamina than you, a certain percentage above (not sure how much). But it doesn't matter one bit because once you breed at least a black chocobo you can kick his rear end every time. Hold down R1, R2, increase speed to max with square, and sprint at the end.

You'll smoke him, guaranteed. Because Joe sucks. His chocobo is great, but Joe sucks.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is the chance of breeding a chocobo with such a poor top speed that he won't beat Teioh at all.

Really? That never happened to me, at least from black onwards. Good to know!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Given that he has 1249 stamina when you have 999, I'd say TEIHO has 25% more than you, rounding down.

Yes, you're probably right. I math good. :downs:

Oh, and DocFrance, I agree you should do more film noir stuff, from the point of view of a normal Joe Detective, like Elentor said.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Interesting thing happened the other day. My office was having a charity book sale this week, and while I was sifted through the piles of old, crappy books, vhs tapes,and CDs no one wants, I came across something.

They had a copy of the PC version of this game, in pretty good condition too! Naturally, the people running the thing know gently caress-all about computer games, so they charged me all of 2 bucks for the game and two books! (I also nabbed a copy of Morrowind and Zoo Tycoon for two bucks each but that's beside the point!)

That would be a steal on its own, but apparently the PC version is really rare! I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if it works, but hey. :v:

Maybe I'll try some of those graphics patches if I can get it to work.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I remember when I got to this part my first time playing the game. I finished reading all the dialogue that gets dropped on you the second you walk in, then, when I got control back, I sat and listened for a second.

"Hey, this music is pretty cool!"

Then I turned up the volume on my TV and just sat there for a few minutes, listening. The music here really made an impression on me. My favorite music track in the game, definitely.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

Xenoblade chronicles managed to hit this note for me. It felt similar to the first time I played ocarina of time and final fantasy 7, when I was 7-8 years old. I had always felt for ages that it was nostalgia driving that feeling and I wouldn't enjoy a game like that again but now I've realised it's only partially that, there are still game out there that can make me feel like I did at christmas 13 years ago! I'm desperately hoping the new Zelda does this too when I finally get my hands on it at christmas. Unfortunately the last few FF games have just been so meh. I kindof have my hopes up for FFXIII-Versus supermelodrama but I'm expecting a let down again.

I find it odd I can play the exact same game over ten times (like zelda and FF) but I can't play the same type of game over and over. I'll play FFVII any day but booting up any new clone is just so... meh. I can play Doom and serious sam for hours but newer FPSs feel so meh as well.

Just shove a stick of cocaine up your nose, I guess.

Okami kind of does this for me. I mean... yeah it's basically a Zelda clone, yeah the story isn't much to write home about, but playing it just makes me feel happy. Pokemon too. I never get sick of doing the same thing over and over.

I hear people talk about Xenoblade a lot. I think I'll have to check it out when it comes stateside in April.

Oh, and from what I've played so far of the new Zelda game, you won't be disappointed!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Huh. So, in the Famicom edition, you're not required to have Red XIII in your party? Interesting.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I've never had a game disc become unplayable due to scratching. I always put them back in their CD wallet/case/whatever.

However, I did have some rear end in a top hat swipe my PS2 out of my checked baggage when I was going back to school after a vacation! My memory card was not in it, thank god, but one of the discs of FF9 was. Had to buy a whole new copy to replace one disc. (Plus buying a new system, of course.) rear end in a top hat! :argh:

Odd thing is, my Gamecube was in the same bag and that thing survived the journey.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, Rufus is probably still sore about you stealing the Tiny Bronco out from under him.

So after Corneo "picks" Yuffie and your team shows up, Vincent will say something like "I don't care about what you're doing, just the idiotic way you're doing it." When I was young I just assumed that means he didn't really care about the whole kidnapping Yuffie thing. Now, after seeing The Dark Id's LP of Dirge of Cerberus and Vincent's questionable "relationship" with Shelke, I'm thinking maybe he meant "I'm cool with your planned statutory rape..."

Hmm, I interpreted it more as, "It's fine if you want women, but this is a stupid way to go about getting one."

Cid says pretty much exactly that if you bring him along (or maybe it's Cait Sith?) One of them says something like "If you want women, there's a right way, and a wrong way."

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Wutai is only missable if you don't explore everywhere on the world map, and you should be doing that anyway! It's an RPG, you're supposed to talk to everyone and go everywhere.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the first time I got the Tiny Bronco my first reaction was "Woo-hoo, let's go exploring! What's this weird continent over here all by itself? Oh, hi Yuffie- WTF where's all my materia!? KILLLLLL!"

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Macaluso posted:

It's not my favorite part, but I remember when I first played the game, didn't know anything about Final Fantasy, and assumed the entire game was going to be going from reactor to reactor blowing them up until we finally saved the planet. Like the entire game was going to be in Midgar, and the entire game would end once that final reactor was destroyed.

And then. Well. drat

Oh man I did this too and I had completely forgotten about it! I hadn't played an RPG before, ever. I was completely floored when I got to the top floor of the Shinra building and found the President slumped over his desk. Dead. :aaa:

And then, I got to the world map for the first time and my brain just about exploded...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

They mean EU in the Star Wars sense, meaning extended universe. Meaning all the extra spinoff bullshit that ret-conned the original material beyond recognition.

In this case, EU refers to anything Final Fantasy 7 related that is not Final Fantasy 7.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

When I play, I have all the materia equipped that I can, to get AP for it. When a materia is mastered, I take it off (barring a few, very useful exceptions, like Restore). I only use a handful of materia for attacking, healing, etc. (Enemy Skill is a godsend here and I try to fill it up as soon as I can).

That said, I tend to favor equipment that has a lot of materia slots. This can lead to some rather... creative juggling around, at least until I start mastering stuff.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I always just waited until I could breed Chocobos to get all the GP-prizes. You can amass crazy amounts of GP just getting your Chocobos up to snuff, not to mention the prizes you can win. Just knock 'em out at the same time, I say!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

He had the entire game captured, updated up to halfway through the 2nd disc, and then gave up. It was sad. Has he ever actually finished an LP besides FF8?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually, I think his last update had him actually arriving at the final dungeon. He was 99% done and quit. Blew my mind.

Still, hope he puts the VIII one back up; that was pretty good, and the only completed LP for 8.

Did he really get that far? Wow. It's been a long time since I read that LP. Guess I forgot. Maybe it was the FF9 LP where he'd played up to the end of the game and quit? (That is, had the whole game recorded, just not posted.)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Tactless Ogre posted:

Was that ever really said anywhere in the game?

The belt part? No. But it was explicitly stated that Chappu and Lulu were lovers and that Chappu was planning on proposing to her when The Calm came. Instead, he was killed by Sin.

It's never explicitly said that she's in mourning, either, but she is wearing black, so that can be inferred.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I love your low-level run stuff so far! Please keep doing them.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

This is true as well. But Summon materia are useful for...Uh...

Status immunities? Or something. Hell, I don't know.

The Hades summon is very handy in a lot of situations. On its own, it inflicts a variety of statuses, including on that one other optional boss. I could never beat him without it. Or you can stick it + Added Effect in your weapon and status everything to hell and back. (Or stick it on your armor, if that's your thing. I guess it'd be like having a second Ribbon!)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I never found the battles in this game hard, minus the optional superbosses, of course. However, there was a point later on where I just got stuck. I had to haul off and buy the guide because I just could not figure out where to go next. In retrospect, it was pretty obvious and it was probably my own drat fault for not picking up on the hints. I must have stopped playing late at night and plum forgot where I was supposed to go by the time I picked it up again in the morning.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Namagem posted:

You obviously grew up on Brady, and not Versus. :smug:

The Versus guides were the best. Sadly, I discovered them too late to get their FF7 guide. I was stuck with the Brady one. It was serviceable, I guess, but still.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

The biggest problem with the Brady Guide for FF& isn't even the gameplay information. It's more the fact that there are three points in the game where someone decided to cover literally half a page at least each time with FMV screen shots involving three of the biggest twists of the game.

Ah, yes it does do that. I guess it didn't bother me because by the time I got the guide, I'd already made it past all the major twists on my own. I just couldn't for the life of me figure out where to go next at the point where I broke down and got a guide. Also, it never told you where you could get Choco Buckle. That drove me crazy for years until I discovered Gamefaqs.

Zeikier posted:

I think you mean a third one. :smug:

To my knowledge, you can only get more of those by Morphing the Tonberries in the Northern Crater. By that point, yeah, you can make yourself into a god anyway, but for the rest of the game, it'd be handy to have the extra status protection. Besides, suppose you want to use your accessory slot for something else?

Zeikier posted:

There was also a Nintendo Power guide I had of Majora's Mask, that had a bunch of interesting eater eggs and bonus events some other guides didn't list (like how you could use the Mask of Scent on Gorman's boxers to get the mushrooms :gonk:). It was a nice touch.

The official guide for Ocarina of Time was like that. Unfortunately, when I bought that guide (expressly for the Water Temple), I found that the pages for the Water Temple had been ripped out! :argh:

My mom returned it and got me a new guide, the Versus Books one, oddly enough. Turned out I liked that one better than the official one. It had a sense of humor to it that was really wacky. It introduced me to the wonder of Versus Books guide.

Years later, I got a free strategy guide from Ninteno Power for I forget what, and chose the Ocarina of Time guide so I could have that too. By now I think I have that drat game memorized. I was able to drat near 100% the 3DS version on my own. Not sure if I should be proud of that or not...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

:stare: Good gobbling gently caress I'll never compare with Omnislash with the fuckin' Nail Bat.

Personally, I laughed harder at Aeris one-shotting the boss with a quad-9 smack to the face. I'm used to Cloud doing crazy damage with Ominslash. It's just what he does.

Also that Yuffie date is hilarious and awkward. Oh Cloud, you card you.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Man, I kept expecting you to do a cliffhanger or something but nope. Nope, nope, we are just plowing ahead.

The music in the City of the Ancients really makes it, at least for me. To this day, I can't listen to that track without feeling creeped out. It made me nervous the first time I played the game. I just knew, I knew that something bad was going to happen there.

Yeah. :smith:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

penguinmambo posted:

I've always found it interesting how quick the ocean comes up in Japanese media when you want to have a vaguely creepy place thats ultimately very beautiful and welcoming, but ain't so in the west (where its usually a lurking monster thing). Have Jaws and Lovecraft really ruined us to that, or the sort of thing when you live 7 states away from an ocean anyway kind of thing? :v:

I'll take a shot in the dark. Japan is an island nation. Throughout their history, they've relied on the sea for their livelihood. Even today, Japan consumes a huge amount of seafood.

Contrast that, to the United States and Europe. The fear of the sea may date back to the age of exploration, when the world was expanding and people were venturing out into the sea to find new lands (and exploit the resources, natives, etc.). Many, many ships never returned, and many crews that were successful probably wished they were dead by the end- what with scurvy being very much a problem on long voyages.

I'm sure Jaws and Lovecraft don't help matters either, nor does being landlocked. If you think about it, the ocean is not a terribly friendly place. It's big, it's deep, and our species is not well-suited to it. At all. It is an alien world.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

Those figurines are actually part of a mini set or something:

There's apparently more than shown above, and about 40/50 FF figures in all.

Heh, those are pretty cute!

Who's the suave gentleman in the front (and the sassy-looking lady next to him)?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hmm, well, I will give Sephiroth one thing: after the debacle with the Black Materia, and y'know, killing Aeris thing, I hated the guy. I hated his dirty, stinking guts. And the further I got in the game only cemented my hatred. I still don't get the fanboy/girl fascination with him. He's a jerk a huge, raging jerk. He burned down your (the protagonist's) hometown, mindfucked you into giving him the doomsday device, and killed your love-interest/dedicated healer to top it all off. How could you not hate the guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

You know, this got me thinking about how to do a "sympathetic villain" properly, without shoving it down the player's throat or whatnot.

Suppose, as you go through the world, you meet people who knew the villain before he became evil? Maybe in one town you meet her childhood friend who tells you the villain's sister had cancer and died when she was 6? Or the villain's teacher who tells you his father was an alcoholic and beat him on a daily basis?

Then you meet some of the villain's former comrades or coworkers, and they tell you that [villain] was always incredibly gifted, but had a dark side to him.

All these things would reveal themselves over time, and not dumped on the player in a 20-minute flashback/monologue delivered right before the player is about to kick the villain's teeth in.

Final Fantasy 4 did this a little bit with Golbez, I think?

• Locked thread