Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Thanks for the replies folks. I should have clarified I'm taking a flight from Boston to San Diego, so I won't be navigating a bunch of highways and interstates. I'll give waze a shot when I'm over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

ServoMST3K posted:

I'm taking my first trip by myself across the country to San Diego in about a week. What's a good gps app to use for the iPhone? I would have asked in the CA megathread but it didn't seem as focused on travel related info.

Map Plus. Or at least, it's the only app that I could load my gigantic Google Earth KML in (Google Maps will only import the first 2000 placemarks, and the Google Earth app won't save the file locally), and it coincidentally turned out to be the best GIS app I've ever used, both on mobile and desktop

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is your workflow like where you're using a KML file with 2000 placemarks? Just curious

Getting ready to do a 6-8 week trip to SE asia, mostly hostelling and airbnb-ing by train and bus, it will be wet as we're arriving during monsoon season. I am basically ready to go, using the same general gear from my first trip 8 years ago (REI gear is amazing). Girlfriend has done a fair bit of traveling, this will be her third international trip this year

The Pack/Bag section is way out of date, most of the links don't work anymore. I am looking for a pack for my 5'4" girlfriend of average size, I'm looking for a 55-65L bag, right? Has anything changed since 2009 in this space? Just your standard Cordoba "ballistic" nylon and oversize zippers? We bought her an Osprey day pack for hiking last year and we've mostly been happy with it but travel packs are designed/built differently. Also I think men are way less sensitive to how the weight of the pack is distributed across shoulders/chest/hips than women.

We're probably going to hit up the SF and Berkeley REIs to find her a pack, is there anywhere else we should be visiting.

Thanks

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ServoMST3K posted:

Thanks for the replies folks. I should have clarified I'm taking a flight from Boston to San Diego, so I won't be navigating a bunch of highways and interstates. I'll give waze a shot when I'm over there.

Wait what? Why do you need an app when you're flying? Are you planning on bursting into the cockpit and yelling at the pilot to take a left turn at Albuquerque?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Outrail posted:

Wait what? Why do you need an app when you're flying? Are you planning on bursting into the cockpit and yelling at the pilot to take a left turn at Albuquerque?

Probably for once he's in San Diego. In which case any of Google maps, Apple maps, or waze are fine since he'll always have data. Not sure how apple maps and waze are currently for traffic info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Hadlock posted:

What is your workflow like where you're using a KML file with 2000 placemarks? Just curious

Trip ideas and restaurants to try accumulated over a decade. I only needed about a hundred or so on my trip but they were in a folder way at the bottom of the list and there was no way to pick just that folder

• Locked thread