Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
One thing I want to add, I do not know how well they work but maybe an electronic dictionary if you are going to try to learn a new language. I have the standard paper spanish:english dictionary but I wish I had an electronic one as well. Again, I do know much about them except they exist and I might find one useful. The paper one is cool for looking up one word, but when I am by myself trying to figure out a bunch of phrases I will need the next day it is kind of annoying.

Anyone have experience with one of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

One thing I want to add, I do not know how well they work but maybe an electronic dictionary if you are going to try to learn a new language. I have the standard paper spanish:english dictionary but I wish I had an electronic one as well. Again, I do know much about them except they exist and I might find one useful. The paper one is cool for looking up one word, but when I am by myself trying to figure out a bunch of phrases I will need the next day it is kind of annoying.

Anyone have experience with one of these?

I've gotten a lot of use/mileage out of the Lonely Planet pocket phrasebooks myself. I bought the Southeast Asia one the first time I was there, which gives you a little bit of everything (fine for travel and basic conversation IMO), but later picked up the Thai and Vietnamese ones, which were more comprehensive and well-suited to someone living there. They're also conveniently-sized to carry around all day.

poo poo, I should really pick up the one for Japan, I'm leaving in a few days. *crosses fingers airport bookstore has it*

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I have to plug Icebreaker clothing. I was in France for a month and wore two Icebreaker t-shirts the whole time, rotating every couple of days. I did wear deodorant every day but it was a long time before my BO was noticeable. They are very thin but can be layered for warmth, especially with the heavier weight fabrics. My green shirt started showing pitstains which is a mystery to me because I've never had pitstains since switching for anti-perspirant to deodorant.

Very expensive for shirts but I think they're worth it.

https://www.icebreaker.com
How good is the durability in your experience? Everything I've read points to these shirts being awesome, but a ton of people complain that they wear out (e.g. develop holes) fairly quickly, which is unfortunate considering the cost.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

NoDamage posted:

How good is the durability in your experience? Everything I've read points to these shirts being awesome, but a ton of people complain that they wear out (e.g. develop holes) fairly quickly, which is unfortunate considering the cost.

Of the two t-shirts I got, one got a tiny little hole in the sleeve somehow. The hole has not started spreading or unraveling. I am sure that if you were tromping around through the woods bushwhacking or through some thorn bushes you could easily tear the shirts up, mainly because the lightweight shirts are very thin and light, which is part of why they're awesome. If anything, they make great base layers and you could wear something heavier duty over them the prevent tearing them up. I forgot to mention they pack incredible well, again, because of the thinness and lightness of them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for mentioning those lighthouse shirts, I'll work them in eventually. For anyone who didn't click the links they're lightweight merino wool which means they're soft and not hot (unless layered in which case they'd be toasty as gently caress) and have all the non-stinking/wicking benefits of wool. However, they're probably not terribly durable, are expensive, and may require hand washing and/or drycleaning.

How did you wash yours HUMMER DRIVING human being

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Sheep-Goats posted:

How did you wash yours HUMMER DRIVING human being

They've been machine washed and air dried. They don't appear to have lost any shape/integrity having been in a washing machine.

ilovepy
Oct 10, 2007
mmm... py
Is it possible to have a pack-able wide brimmed hat and not look like a Travel Dad? Hats are dorky but so much better than sunscreen. My neck is red enough as it is.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ilovepy posted:

Is it possible to have a pack-able wide brimmed hat and not look like a Travel Dad? Hats are dorky but so much better than sunscreen. My neck is red enough as it is.
This is my biggest sticking point, I believe the answer is "there's no way to not look like travel dad but it beats skin cancer".

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ilovepy posted:

Yeah Travel Dad has a monopoly on that look so there's nothing you can do. I brought one with me to Angkor and was glad I did then, but took it off when people took the requisite photos of me standing next to a big two thousand year old stone face.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Can anyone offer some help regarding United Airlines carry-on policy? I phoned up their helpline today and the advice they offered me contradicted their website.

I want to travel with my ukelele from LHR to SFO. I don't have a hard case so I want to carry it on, and I want to take a small shoulder bag for my mp3 player, book etc because it's a 11 hour flight!

http://www.unitedairlines.co.uk/core/english/SI/baggage/specialitems.html#music

Their website suggests I can take the uke, but it would be in place of my "carry-on" allowance. Would I still be able to take a small shoulder bag (~20L) as well? If I get to the airport and have to check my uke, I'm stuffed (and it is probably smashed).

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world

Slimchandi posted:

Can anyone offer some help regarding United Airlines carry-on policy? I phoned up their helpline today and the advice they offered me contradicted their website.

I want to travel with my ukelele from LHR to SFO. I don't have a hard case so I want to carry it on, and I want to take a small shoulder bag for my mp3 player, book etc because it's a 11 hour flight!

http://www.unitedairlines.co.uk/core/english/SI/baggage/specialitems.html#music

Their website suggests I can take the uke, but it would be in place of my "carry-on" allowance. Would I still be able to take a small shoulder bag (~20L) as well? If I get to the airport and have to check my uke, I'm stuffed (and it is probably smashed).

Don't check your uke, your shoulder bag should count as your "purse/laptop" bag, which is usually in addition to a piece of carry-on "luggage", like a rolling bag that's sized for the overhead bin. I took my acoustic bass guitar as a carry-on in addition to a fairly hefty laptop bag holding tons of electronics and two laptops (a 17" and a netbook), which is technically too big to even consider as a carry-on since most airlines set the limit at a regular acoustic guitar. If you're really worried, you should just talk to the gate agents for your flight 30-45 minutes ahead of when boarding begins, and ask them politely if they think you'll have any trouble finding a place in the overhead bin for your uke. I guarantee they'll say that you'll be fine (and then for god's sake, once you get on the plane put it under the seat instead of in the overhead bin where someone will a rolly-bag will bash it 6 or 7 times).

Worst case scenario, they might tell you that it has to be gate-checked, which means they'll give it a tag and take it from you as you board the plane, and it will be checked last - so it goes on the top of the pile, instead of under the golf clubs.

ilovepy posted:

You could just do what I do, and wear a lightweight hooded long-sleeve shirt when you're out in the sun. Then when you put up the hood, you look like a pedophile or something instead of Travel Dad.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You should be able to bring your ukelele and your murse, no problem.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Good to know I won't be without my murse, thanks guys.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

Laptop bag! It's a laptop bag, just fill it with laptops and you'll still be a man.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I have seen people use 2 large sized carry on backs instead of 1 for different North American airlines. It's against policy but people still do it. South East Asian Airlines don't really care how much poo poo you bring on board, heck you can even bring a tripod and no one cares. I use to do last minute shopping duty free and buy cases and bags of booze, cigarettes and chocolates and no one bats an eye.

Hey guys, I wish I read this thread earlier. My trip across the states was fun but packing wise kind of a disaster. I packed a bit too many clothes because I wanted to look "fashionable" and all. BAD IDEA. And I packed too many lenses and a laptop and a ipad and all sorts of weird contraptions. Mifi, film camera, point and shoot, laptop, lenses, 2 flashes

I think I got a bit too fatigued and photo wise, as beautiful, diverse and vast as America is, photo wise things start to look the same. ie. suburbs or cities. I actually had more fun using a s95 but I lost that mid trip :( Using an iphone with internet streams to facebook for many situations is already suffice. I ended up being less mobile and got fatigued easily. I wish I bought a macbook air, it's fast and great.

And I never thought that I could blow so much money buying souvenirs in the states. I ended up borrowing my aunt's suit case.

I regret not buying a wolf shirt in the states.

I'm going to do another 18 day trip in Japan. Hopefully this time I will pack a lot smarter and get some dry shirts and just look like a plain travel dad. I actually should not really care how much I look because people in the states are casual as hell. Not so sure about the rest of the country but Tokyo is like a super duper Williamsburg New York - people are really well dressed. Oh well.

This is my pack list for the 18 day Japan and 2 day Shanghai. 1 or 2 empty suit cases for souvenirs and the I'm trying to fit my clothes into a carry on and considering to buy a red ox shave kit and either the sky train or airboss. Any recommendations?

2 GOONS TO JAPAN - mostly cities and maybe a mountain walk, no camping or anything.

• 2 quick dry t-shirts.
  • 2 pairs of shorts
  • 1 pair of jeans,
  • 2 long sleeve dress shirts.
  • 1 nerdy STAR WARS x ADDIDAS t-shirt
  • 1 polo shirt
  • 1 pair of boat shoes.

Camera stuff
  • ipad
  • laptop
  • 1 TB external drive
  • 580 EXII Flash
  • 50D body
  • Canon 17-55/2.8
  • Sigma 30/1.4
  • Canon 85/1.2 - heavy but oh well.
  • To be determined point and shoot (lost a s95 and a s90 already ugh)

I must fight the urge and not pack the 70-200/4, but pictures of deer in nara would be sooo cute :(

The nice thing about the quick dry shirt is that it dries up overnight and I can just wash it in some sink and wear it again the next day. And I will probably buy souvenirs and clothes. My camera gear will probably weigh me down again but this time should not be as bad.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

caberham posted:

Camera stuff
[*] ipad
[*] laptop
[*] 1 TB external drive
[*] 580 EXII Flash
[*] 50D body
[*] Canon 17-55/2.8
[*] Sigma 30/1.4
[*] Canon 85/1.2 - heavy but oh well.
[*] To be determined point and shoot (lost a s95 and a s90 already ugh)
[/list]

I must fight the urge and not pack the 70-200/4, but pictures of deer in nara would be sooo cute :(

Seriously, drop the flash and the 85/1.2. Unless you're really going to be taking non-stop wildlife photography, it's not worth the extra weight. Plus, think of how you'll feel if you break your $2000 L glass trying to swap lenses to get a picture of some deer.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Mradyfist posted:

Seriously, drop the flash and the 85/1.2. Unless you're really going to be taking non-stop wildlife photography, it's not worth the extra weight. Plus, think of how you'll feel if you break your $2000 L glass trying to swap lenses to get a picture of some deer.

Oh you mean encountering dumb accidents like his?

Or having a 70-200 roll out from the bottom of my camping backpack :suicide: You are right, extra gear is unwieldy but there is a flash shadow for my 17-55 if I use the flash at 55mm :( the 85 is to bring to a certain photo dork goon in exchange to play around with his bessa. Frivolous.

Clothes wise I should be fine right?

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
I'd add few pairs of underwear and socks too, but who am I to judge, I mean, we're all goons here. :v: But why are you taking both iPad and a laptop with you? I can understand wanting to take a computer with you, but whats the point of taking two of them? Just take one.

caberham posted:

1 or 2 empty suit cases for souvenirs and the I'm trying to fit my clothes into a carry on and considering to buy a red ox shave kit and either the sky train or airboss. Any recommendations?
Come on man, don't take an empty suitcase with you to japan, thats just silly. If you want some extra storage for souvenirs, either buy a cheapo suitcase from there or better yet, just take an empty duffel bag with you. Having to drag some hardshelled suitcase with you everywhere you go will get rather annoying, even if it is empty. Instead just travel with only a single bag. When you land, you can just walk out of the door instead of waiting for your baggage, using public transportation is easy, no more lost baggage or bags arriving on some other flight later.
From the bags you listed, Air Boss is ~35L, Sky Train is ~38L and Aeronaut is around 45L and all of them fit carry-on limits. You'll be wearing jeans and shoes already when you board, laptop counts as a personal item(Why are you taking two computers on a trip? :mad:). I don't know how much all that camera stuff weighs, but looking at youtube they don't take much space. You'll be fine.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Azur's got my back. I'd probably bring one or two less shirts but so long as your other items are in line you'll be okay. The only thing I will add is that you should try to make sure goon number two is in line. It sucks waiting at the carousel for your bag, waiting for someone else's is worse.

As for the camera stuff I don't know poo poo :v:

raton fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 30, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The OP is done. I did a kind of ghetto job on the last few entries compared to the rest of the thread but medic school starts on Tuesday and I didn't want to leave this unfinished when that starts going on.

If you have book advice or particular travel adapter advice or other entertainment advice or whatever let me know and I'll try to incorporate it.

plaindot
Dec 26, 2005
awesome
This is loving great, thanks OP. I'm doing a solo 2-week japan trip soon and was wondering if I should buy Hiking pack- whenever I see them I felt like they're too big. I'll buy what you showed me instead (I don't even have that much stuff), thanks.

I'm just wondering if I should bring my laptop, there are long traim rides (ranging from 5 hrs to 2 hrs), but it's 15 inch macbook pro...

Usually I brought along lots of underwears just in case, but right now I'm looking at 2 pants (plus 1 I'll be wearing), 6 t-shirts (hot in japan), 1 shirt (will be worn), 6 panties, 3 socks, toiletries (toothbrush and the like), 1 camera and possibly laptop (with chargers+adapters) and possibly moneybag.

Maybe I should reduce it to 5 t-shirts instead and bring a hat. Sadly since I just moved back to my country, I got no hoodies. Probably should buy one fleece jacket or something eh?

plaindot fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 1, 2011

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

plaindot posted:

This is loving great, thanks OP. I'm doing a solo 2-week japan trip soon and was wondering if I should buy Hiking pack- whenever I see them I felt like they're too big. I'll buy what you showed me instead (I don't even have that much stuff), thanks.

I'm just wondering if I should bring my laptop, there are long traim rides (ranging from 5 hrs to 2 hrs), but it's 15 inch macbook pro...

Usually I brought along lots of underwears just in case, but right now I'm looking at 2 pants (plus 1 I'll be wearing), 6 t-shirts (hot in japan), 1 shirt (will be worn), 6 panties, 3 socks, toiletries (toothbrush and the like), 1 camera and possibly laptop (with chargers+adapters) and possibly moneybag.

Maybe I should reduce it to 5 t-shirts instead and bring a hat. Sadly since I just moved back to my country, I got no hoodies. Probably should buy one fleece jacket or something eh?

More socks. You're gonna be backpacking, and you're going to want to change your socks on a regular basis to avoid heavy blisters.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bringing more shirts than underwear is weird.

You plan to wear your socks two days in a row? I'd rather rewear a shirt than a pair of socks.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Bringing more shirts than underwear is weird.

You plan to wear your socks two days in a row? I'd rather rewear a shirt than a pair of socks.

Theyre easy to wash in the sink by hand and hang up to dry for the next day. I wore mine multiple days in a row during my motorcycle trip (monsoon season, no less) in Vietnam and Laos. Doesnt matter if theyre wrinkled!

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
For Japan, which I'm doing in 2 weeks, I got birkenstocks (a type of sandal/thong with a material that molds to the shape of your foot. A dark brown version of these 2-straps: http://www.birkenstock.com.au/index.php?domain=birkenstock&menu=products&category=Classic%20Birkenstock&subcategory=2 .) Eliminates the need for socks, is comfortable to walk in, and because it's going to be hot as poo poo in Japan they'll make it much cooler.

Can someone link me to the exact type of Australian 3-prong female to Japanese male adapter I will need in Japan? ie. the adapter I'll need so that I can charge my Australian electronics.

plaindot
Dec 26, 2005
awesome
Yeah I threw in a couple more socks, though as for shoes since I have a slightly hosed up leg (one smaller than the other), I have to wear special shoes no matter what :shobon:
Also, I ended up bringing more underwear and cutting down my shirt by one.

Thanks, thread!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Tripod alternative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLlJl7TbXTA

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

When I was back in Canada I went down to the local Mountain Equipment Co-op (That is a dangerous, DANGEROUS place for gear-queers like myself) and picked myself up a MSR CampTowel. It's made of microfibre so it wicks moisture really quick, and dries just as fast. It's really a fantastic investment if you plan on going to the beach or something, just let it dry on top of your pack for a few minutes and you're gold, as opposed to hours/never for a normal towel.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Tripod alternative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLlJl7TbXTA

I'm very impressed - I was expecting him to just hang something heavy off the string but his idea is much better.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
What's a good travel pack that comes in different lengths? Right now I have an Arcteryx Silo in a Tall size that fits me almost well (I'm 6'5" with a long torso" but it's top load which is a pain in the rear end. However, it's the pack that comes closest to actually fitting me in terms of hip belt/sternum strap. I travel with a fair amount of camera gear, I tried not using the waist belt, and it's killer. So basically, I'm looking for a front load travel backpack for tall people. Price is no object. The Miura from Arcteryx looks like it also comes in a tall size, does anyone have any experience with that pack in terms of how convenient it is to pack/unpack? Or can anyone recommend some other manufacturers?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

MA-Horus posted:

When I was back in Canada I went down to the local Mountain Equipment Co-op (That is a dangerous, DANGEROUS place for gear-queers like myself) and picked myself up a MSR CampTowel. It's made of microfibre so it wicks moisture really quick, and dries just as fast. It's really a fantastic investment if you plan on going to the beach or something, just let it dry on top of your pack for a few minutes and you're gold, as opposed to hours/never for a normal towel.

Dry it completely out before packing it or it will stink to high heaven! It smells SO BAD!! Failing to do so even one time will make it stink until you take it to a proper laundry.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've been half-looking for a similar toiletry organizer since I saw an Austrian dude with one in Borneo several years ago, and found just what I was looking for (well not the exact same one, but close enough) at the mall in Fukuoka two weekends ago: The Lapoche Travel Toiletry Organizer. It's got little pockets to keep your stuff from rattling around, is padded enough that you don't have to worry much about caps coming off and liquids wreaking havoc, and has a handy hook that you can hang it from in the bathroom. I took it on a trip last weekend and it was awesome. Recommended!

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I just use ziploc for my toiletries. Stuff that can break or something is put in it's own small ziploc, everything else in a big ziploc. It takes zero room in your backpack and it's easy to find stuff in it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I need a bag for traveling to residency interviews. The trips will be short, only for a day or two, but I'll need to take a suit, 2 shirts, pair of slacks, and shoes. Carry-on only. I'm thinking about something like this:

http://www.victorinox.com/us/product/Travel-Gear/Collections/Werks-Traveler-4-0/WT-20X/31300901

But I'm open to suggestions.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any recommended websites/brands for rugged, but stylish, jackets? I've been searching high and low for a new winter jacket. every store I've been to has nice-looking jackets, but they're paper-thin (one of my friends who works at these stores told me they design them this way so you layer up and buy more clothing from the store. Screw that).

Can anyone suggest a jacket that's nice enough to wear outside, but is also durable and warm for the occasional hiking trip? :ohdear:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

melon cat posted:

Any recommended websites/brands for rugged, but stylish, jackets? I've been searching high and low for a new winter jacket. every store I've been to has nice-looking jackets, but they're paper-thin (one of my friends who works at these stores told me they design them this way so you layer up and buy more clothing from the store. Screw that).

Can anyone suggest a jacket that's nice enough to wear outside, but is also durable and warm for the occasional hiking trip? :ohdear:

Arcteryx stuff is amazing if you don't mind punishing your wallet. I got an Atom pullover as a gift and it's like the nicest thing I've ever owned. Doesn't weigh a thing, super comfortable, and good down to about a mildly windy 32 F.

E: And Bear Grylls wears that brand's stuff.

E2: It also attracts Canadians like moths to a light.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I really like Nau stuff because it's not cut like outdoor gear but it is pretty pricey.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I dunno.

Maybe that $500 (edit 495) designer jacket is rugged enough for a mean wilderness hike, but inversely it isn't a biggie if i get a small rip in a regular people jacket.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don't quite understand what you're looking for -- a normal cold weather jacket that you can add to a t shirt and be okay in but that can also serve double duty on a hike, or some kind of warmer than usual hiking jacket, or just general hiking gear suggestions, or what? Is it mainly the style issue?

Uncle Ivan posted:

What's a good travel pack that comes in different lengths? Right now I have an Arcteryx Silo in a Tall size that fits me almost well (I'm 6'5" with a long torso" but it's top load which is a pain in the rear end. However, it's the pack that comes closest to actually fitting me in terms of hip belt/sternum strap. I travel with a fair amount of camera gear, I tried not using the waist belt, and it's killer. So basically, I'm looking for a front load travel backpack for tall people. Price is no object. The Miura from Arcteryx looks like it also comes in a tall size, does anyone have any experience with that pack in terms of how convenient it is to pack/unpack? Or can anyone recommend some other manufacturers?

This is a hard one but FWIW I don't think fit is nearly as big a deal for a travel pack as it is for a hiking pack. I'm 6'3" myself and have never really noticed whether my travel packs fit well or not, it's rare that I actually have it on my back for more than forty minutes or whatever. But maybe I'm just insensitive or have been lucky with my packs.

raton fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't quite understand what you're looking for -- a normal cold weather jacket that you can add to a t shirt and be okay in but that can also serve double duty on a hike, or some kind of warmer than usual hiking jacket, or just general hiking gear suggestions, or what? Is it mainly the style issue?
A warm, durable coat that doesn't look outdoors-y. I want to be stylish, comfortable, and warm. There are a lot of very warm jackets out there but they look like you're going mountaineering. Kind of strange to show up at the office wearing a jacket like that. And yes- it's mainly a style issue.

And thanks to the posters who shared the links above, by the way.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 10, 2011

• Locked thread