Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I am confused on cell phones. I have a HTC EVO which as far as I can tell does not have a SIM slot. If I am going to Mexico and Central America I think I need a SIM card compatible phone, I would like for it to be cheap and able to do apps for translation and stuff. Do I need a different phone? I don't want to stick with the EVO and come back with a 2 million dollar phone bill.

This would probably be a good topic for the first post because I can't be the only retard when it comes to cell phones.

If anyone is interested I am going on a week long motorcycle travel/camping trip and I will post everything I take. Much more complex packing than a trip around Thailand where all you need are some underpants and a pair of boardshorts. Also, the best thing I have ever bought for traveling is compression underwear. You can get them for 10 bucks a piece at Wal Mart (Starter brand) or Under Armour for like 30 bucks at Dick's. They rule so drat hard, I wear them on a daily basis now.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Those exofficios are nice, but you should check compression shorts. They take things to the next level. Underarmour even makes some with mesh where your balls/taint are. I haven't seen them but a friend (the same one who got me on the compression bandwagon) was saying they are awesome

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Does anyone know about the ebags weekender etech convertible? http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/weekender-etech-convertible/15026?productid=1266982
I was at REI checking out the Osprey 46L Porter mentioned in the first post and decided to google for other options. I found this one and it appears to be the same size as the osprey but set up better with the organized front pocket and everything. The price is awesome as well and it has good reviews. It would be for a extended trip to central america and southern mexico if that matters. I also plan on bringing a small daypack.

I am probably going to order it since I can return it if I need to, but I just want to make sure no one has anything terrible to say about it first.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I ordered it, I can return it for free so if it sucks I will just take it back. I still have my REI backpack I took to Asia but it is kinda large, however if the eBags one doesn't work I can always use it again. The REI bag worked in Asia so I know it is fine for an extended backpacking trip. I had a few problems with it and it is too big to carry on, so I wouldn't mind replacing it, but I can use it again without being upset about it. I will post my thoughts on this eBags weekender when I get it.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The OP has some useful ideas, you don't have to treat it like a bible, just discount what you don't agree with. Hell, I know I think some of the suggestions are dumb, namely the shoes section, so I will ignore what I disagree with.

Although to be fair, you have to look at the advice as meant for traveling for at least a month and changing locations every few days. If you are flying to a single hotel at the beach for a week then going home it doesn't apply

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
edit removed other stuff to just make about eBags weekender as this post is linked as a review in the OP.

I got that eBags etech convertable travel bag I mentioned in this thread (and is now in the OP) today. Although my actual travel backpack I used in SE Asia is much bigger measurement wise, I think with proper packing I can fit more in this eBags bag. I just grabbed the following out of my clothes and threw them in, sloppily rolled up and everything and it fit with room to spare..4 decent books (400 pages), dry bag with GBA+Kindle+random poo poo (about 1.5 times the size of a toiletry bag which is what I was trying to simulate), 4 shirts, pair of jeans, pair of long workout pants, 2 pair shorts, 4 pairs underwear, 3 pairs socks, running jacket medium weight, board shorts, pair of sneakers (note:not my actual trip packing list)...I only used the main compartment and did not pack efficiently and still about 25% was left, with the 3 out pockets and mesh pocket inside the main compartment all untouched. I would say it was 75% full and if I tried to pack efficiently I would have had more room. The bag appears solid. I walked around with it and it felt comfortable on my back, much moreso than that REI travel bag I took to Asia, I could easily walk a couple of miles at the drop of a hat.

I am not positive this is what I will take to Central America (although I am pretty sure) but I am keeping it for sure. After comparisons and two weekend trips with this I am now positive it will be my bag when I go to Central America...see edit2 below. It will be my go to carry on bag for all domestic weekend and weeklong trips. For 49.99 I would recommend this to anyone based on my first impressions. I spent about 10 hours of research and this was by far the best bang for your buck I saw. If anyone wants pictures or more information on this let me know.

Anyways, now that that tl;dr is out of the way, can anyone recommend some good websites with packing tips? How do you guys feel about those packing cubes? I saw some at wal mart and was going to buy some to test out before I left, returning them if they suck. (edit2 note: I guess I did not see these at Wal Mart because they were not there after all)

edit2

Since I noticed this post was linked in the OP for a review of the eBags weekender I will expand on it. I have now used this bag for a weekend trip on Amtrak to Charlotte and also randomly since I bought it. I love it. For the weekend trip I overpacked like crazy, basically putting the amount of stuff I would take for a 3 month trip in it. I had to park 3/4ths of a mile from the train station which gave me a chance to test out the backpack features. I did a bad packing job and I could feel the weight shift down, but it was comfortable. This bag has plenty of room, I feel so stupid for using my huge backpack my last trip. Anyways, trip tested it was great, the front compartments are easy to access as the side compression straps do not cover them, so I could easily get out my laptop or a book while traveling. I also like the organizer in the front compartment which can hold pens and notebooks or whatever, this is not very common but I can imagine it would be great if you are walking with someone after getting off the bus and want to write down their e-mail or whatever. The front pocket is big enough to hold the detachable REI daypack from my last bag, which is pretty drat big. There are actually two large front pockets.

Also, I have now had a chance to compare this to two other bags in the OP. The first was the Osprey Porter 46 which I saw at REI. I like my eBags bag better, but it isn't a blowout or anything. The Osprey bag is only 100 bucks, which is pretty drat cheap, although double the price of my bag. The main packing compartment of the Osprey might be slightly better, but it lacks easily accessible front pockets. It has this one pocket with a vertical zipper which sucks. I would imagine getting anything out of the bag on a plane would be an enormous pain. The build quality was very nice. Even if they were the same price I would stick with the weekender, although I would debate before choosing.

The other bag I checked out was the Patagonia MLC mentioned in the OP. Honestly, I did not like this bag at all. It was 150 dollars, but if it was 40 I would not buy it vs either of the other two. It felt cheap and seemed poorly laid out. I was surprised at how cheap it felt as Patagonia is a pretty big named company. I did not really look at it very hard as my initial impression was so disappointing. The one thing it had over the other two was a very comfortable looking shoulder strap.

Since this is linked to in the OP I will probably add pictures when I pack for my trip. Again, this eBags weekender is awesome, I did a ton of research before buying it and even though it was the cheapest it was also the one I liked best. The only other bag I really liked was the Osprey Porter but it was not designed as efficiently in my opinion.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 28, 2011

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I love my bag I mentioned above. However, I noticed a strong shift in the weight to the bottom when it was not full and I was walking. The bag has no luggage dividers. What is the best way to keep it evenly distributed?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The bag has internal and external compression straps, maybe I should use them :facepalm: (edit wtf I thought this was an emocon) Do they make packing cubes with dividers.

Oh and by the way, I would recommend this bag highly to anyone

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Packing three pairs of jeans to go 300 miles away for a week is no big deal, packing three pairs of jeans to haul around for 3 months moving every few days is a big deal. This thread is geared (lol) towards the latter type of traveling. When you gotta pack up and move probably 40 times during your trip you don't want much.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
thanks again for this thread. I am doing my last minute packing and the bundle packing suggestion on the prior page was clutch. I am going to make a travel blog and will post my packing steps and comments on it. Also will give some good pictures of the bag I recommended on the prior page. I am bringing more than I meant to but most of the extra stuff are clothes I was planning on getting rid of so they probably won't make it back.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I wish I bought 2 pairs of REI adventure pants instead of only 1. Sheep goats was right on about them. This cargo zip off pair of pants I am wearing looks even more lame than I thought it would (and I knew they would look lame.) I also wish I bought my tiny netbook if only because I can´t find a goddamn SD card slot in this entire city (Antigua).

I did pull an awesome move. I brought one pair of sunglasses and my mom pointed out I should bring my extra pair, I go ¨what for I never have lost any before¨ BOOM 48 hours here and I lost my sunglasses:( owned

http://ribsauce.wordpress.com/
Here is my test packing list. I did not bring the pair of black shoes because they really hurt my feet if I walked more than half a mile in them. I brought another long sleeve shirt and a rain jacket (thank god it rains every day here). I think there is at least a 50% chance I don´t turn on the GBA the entire time, I have no idea why I packed it, should have replaced with my tiny netbook, the weight is probably really close. I also have a tiny sling daypack not pictured.

So far 3 people have commented when seeing my bag ¨drat you travel light¨

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
One thing I want to add, I do not know how well they work but maybe an electronic dictionary if you are going to try to learn a new language. I have the standard paper spanish:english dictionary but I wish I had an electronic one as well. Again, I do know much about them except they exist and I might find one useful. The paper one is cool for looking up one word, but when I am by myself trying to figure out a bunch of phrases I will need the next day it is kind of annoying.

Anyone have experience with one of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

MA-Horus posted:

When I was back in Canada I went down to the local Mountain Equipment Co-op (That is a dangerous, DANGEROUS place for gear-queers like myself) and picked myself up a MSR CampTowel. It's made of microfibre so it wicks moisture really quick, and dries just as fast. It's really a fantastic investment if you plan on going to the beach or something, just let it dry on top of your pack for a few minutes and you're gold, as opposed to hours/never for a normal towel.

Dry it completely out before packing it or it will stink to high heaven! It smells SO BAD!! Failing to do so even one time will make it stink until you take it to a proper laundry.

• Locked thread