Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
So, my good old day pack just died on me: both zippers broke, and getting them replaced could cost me more than buying a new pack. Let's buy a new one then! Great! Except the model was discontinued, and it's out of stock everywhere. Not only it was discontinued, but the manufacturer doesn't even make a replacement, they got out of the market segment entirely in fact. What is this wonder pack I need so bad?

Quechua Arpenaz 20 XC. Features:
  • large main pocket. Zipper broke on mine, making the backpack useless (it's not a "pocket" so much as where the whole backpack opens like the mouth of an alligator, without a zipper the whole thing hangs open uselessly)
  • secondary pocket with pen, phone, keychain etc. holders. On mine, the zipper for this one is starting to break
  • "secret" mini-pocket on the back, where I keep my transit card. Could do without it
  • chest strap. I rarely use this of course but I don't know if I could do without it, it's very handy as a belt for the camera pouch when I'm traveling
  • belt. A little silly on such a small backpack, but you stop laughing when you find out how heavy a fully loaded 20 l backpack can get. It's not a lovely little afterthought of a belt either: it's fat and beefy with a lot of lumbar support
  • it's not a pocket, it's not a rack, it's not a holder: that weird thing in front. None of the newer Quechua backpacks has it and I'm going to miss it a lot if I'm forced to switch. Not sure what exactly it was meant for because it's so weirdly shaped, but I always found uses for it, like holding a rolled-up jacket or scarf or hat. Same goes for the pole holders: I don't use poles, but those adjustable elastic straps are always good for something
  • water bladder holder in the main pocket, and a hole on top for the drinking tube. Used maybe once, but the holder is really handy as an organizer
  • hole for earbuds in the secondary pocket, literally never used
Basically it was a middle ground between daily use, day hiking and even had serious load carrying features (again, they only look silly until you need them and then you're glad to have them), and they don't make any backpacks like that anymore, period. The whole XC line was discontinued

Is there any other brand that makes something like this? Or at least something somewhere in the ballpark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
It's a little inconvenient

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

qirex posted:

A friend of mine has a Deuter that looks kind of like that, I'll see if she can tell me the model name.

Pretty sure it's like this one http://www.deuter.com/US/us/day-packs/airlite-22-4420315-2065.html

It looks perfect, but... well, my 70l trekking backpack was more expensive, but not by much. I'm tempted to just get the old one repaired

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

PT6A posted:

The site I got linked to shows it for $80, though? You're not likely to get a decent backpack for under that, I thought you were talking about something like $300+.

The backpack I'm replacing was ~25€ new, they quoted me 20€ for replacing the zippers, combined it's about half the price of that Deuter. I could repair my current backpack two more times before it costed me that kind of money

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Well I expected worse than "suitcase with straps"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

ServoMST3K posted:

I'm taking my first trip by myself across the country to San Diego in about a week. What's a good gps app to use for the iPhone? I would have asked in the CA megathread but it didn't seem as focused on travel related info.

Map Plus. Or at least, it's the only app that I could load my gigantic Google Earth KML in (Google Maps will only import the first 2000 placemarks, and the Google Earth app won't save the file locally), and it coincidentally turned out to be the best GIS app I've ever used, both on mobile and desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

What is your workflow like where you're using a KML file with 2000 placemarks? Just curious

Trip ideas and restaurants to try accumulated over a decade. I only needed about a hundred or so on my trip but they were in a folder way at the bottom of the list and there was no way to pick just that folder

• Locked thread