Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Question for the Australians here: I'm about to go to Vietnam and I want some nice light trousers. The only casual trousers I own are slim fitting black jeans. I imagine they will be too warm to wear (and bulky to pack). Those REI Adventurer pants in the OP look okay, but in the travel stores here all they sell are these baggy monstrosities with millions of pockets that convert into shorts. They are so gross.

So do you know any place that sells slim fitting trousers that are really light that look somewhat stylish? I'm a slim guy so anything that isn't slim fit looks baggy as poo poo on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

But I have though and I can't find anything appealing. Caveat: I live in Tasmania so my choices are more limited. There are plenty of places that sell jeans, cargo pants and dress pants. All the general trousers (or 'slacks') I've seen are rather dad or grandpa-like.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Movendi posted:

Bags i'm eyeing:
Golite Convertible 2 lbs. 21 x 14 x 7
Black Wolf Skedaddle (MLC improved clone) 2.9lb 52 x 35 x 27 cm (Aus./NZ only)
Caribee Sky Master 2 lbs 10oz 21.25 x 13 x 7
Ebags Motherlode TLS 3 lbs 11oz. 22 x 14 x 9
MEI Executive overniter - presentable but heavy at 4lb

Laptop pocket not important, rather something for a 7" tablet preferably outside pocket and with bottle/hydration storage. Trying to think if i should compromise on a little more weight for extra benefit of organised storage like in the ebags TLS or MEI EO? Or go for something light like the first 3 but without much extra pockets for phone/tablet/camera. hmm papa

I did two weeks in Vietnam last year with a Black Wolf Skedaddle. It held 3 long sleeve shirts, 3 t-shirts (probably one too many), pair of trousers, pair of shorts, 5 days of socks and underwear, and toiletries, medical and other knick-knacks. I used this little messenger bag thing as a day pack, to hold my camera, map, etc, which I then stored in the Skedaddle when in transit. Everything was great, I had no problems with any carry-on restrictions on planes.

It's worth it for the disbelief from other backpackers that THAT is all your luggage. My housemate almost had a heart attack when she saw what I was leaving the country with :)

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Movendi posted:

Nice one! I ended up getting a timbuk2 wingman and it looks a lot nicer in person. Also it was way more comfortable than the patagonia MLC wearing it in backpack mode.

What kind of messenger bag did you use? I'm now looking for a compact daypack. And did you bring any gadgets? I'm still uncertain whether getting a samsung galaxy s2 (4.3") / samsung galaxy note (5" tablet+phone but big to be a daily phone) or just get a samsung galaxy 7.7 for travel and get a bluetooth keyboard?

My concern is backing up photos to these devices might be slower/awkward than a netbook. But i'm not sure how to backup sdhc when you only have a camera on you (and not using internet cafe's).

The only gadget I took was my Android phone. I took my camera as well, but because I was only there for two weeks I didn't bother bringing anything to backup my photos. There was enough room in the bag to fit in a netbook or tablet if I had one. The bag comes with a detachable laptop pouch, which I removed to give me more space.

I got the messenger bag thing from Anaconda. It's this one here (I think): http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camp-and-Hike/Packs-and-Bags/Day-Packs/Jessie-Day-Packs. Mine was in black. It's quite discreet. It's pricey, but Anaconda have sales all the time.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

qirex posted:

Someone in Australia posted a MLC-style bag from one of their domestic brands a while back but I can't remember who or what brand. Osprey makes stuff that's incredibly durable but they're basically just duffel bags on the inside which means that you'll probably end up spending even more money on organizers and stuff.

Was it the Blackwolf Skedaddle? I used one for my last trip to Vietnam, it was great. I'm looking forward to see how it goes on my upcoming Euro trip.

http://www.blackwolf.com.au/product-details.php?product_id=149&page=3&noItems=12&category_id=10

• Locked thread