Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
Europe: Just go to a Decathlon where you can find most of this for a fraction of what it'd cost in other places, including merino wool shirts and technical stuff if you somehow need that. Sadly they don't have travel packs like the one in the op.

Their Equarea synthetic shirts cost about 5 euro, are super light and feel really great for long hikes. I use them for the gym and bring a few when I travel for those days when I know I'm going to be walking all day.

Socks: SmartWool socks are the poo poo. They transpire, wick moisture, keep your feet dry even in humid climates and don't smell.

If you go to a hot climate and want to wear shorts, buy the cycling ultra-light micro ones, which are the closest thing to a normal sock they have with the ultra-light padding (running socks have a weird shape on the ankle).

Shoes: Lose the hiking boots, please. Flip-flops and decent sneakers (preferably decent enough to even get into a club) are more than enough for 99% of the trips.

Towel: bringing a sarong is a nice idea and it doubles as a blanket for those Asian planes with freezing AC, but I prefer to bring a microfibre towel that takes no space and dries in an instant.

Travel pack: I use an Osprey Porter 46. It fits the carry-on limits for most airlines, it's sturdy, light, comfortable as a backpack and looks quite nice.

Maybe someone can comment on this, but I heard using military backpacks is a bad idea in certain countries, especially in South America.

Travel apps: TripIt is a must for me. I use it to keep all my flights and hotel reservations noted. Just forward any reservation you make to plans@tripit.com and you'll have it on your phone in an instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
I don't see why would you need hiking shoes unless you really spend lots of hours every day hiking on mildly difficult tracks. Just bring a pair of comfortable and decent looking sneakers and you're good to go.

I usually travel with one pair of Puma Rio Racer (the cloth version) and one pair of Camper Asia Taipei. Both are snug, light, comfortable and good looking, so I wear the Pumas for walking/hiking and the Campers when travelling or going out. Nowadays I'm starting to bring just the Pumas because they are good enough for everything I do when I travel, even long hikes.

Admittedly it's not a good idea bringing just one pair of shoes when you wear a 46-47, but so far so good.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

Rapsey posted:

I use these (an older model):
http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/aqua-lite-mens-20.html/
Wore them for a year at home. Now I have a new pair for home and the old ones for traveling. So a year of daily use + 1 music festival + 2 weeks in vietnam + 2 weeks so far in Thailand (2 weeks left to go).
Besides being a bit dirty, they don't have a single tear or any other kind of issue. Most comfortable shoes I ever wore and after all that use don't stink at all and I never used any product on them. I even got a compliment two days ago from a lady that she likes my shoes.

The problem with those is that they look ridiculous if you have big feet :(

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
Another light shoe recommendation: New Balance Minimus Zero. Super comfortable if you are into "barefoot" shoes, they take almost no space and weight nothing (something between 120 and 180 grams depending on the model).

The only problem is that even the Life models aren't exactly the most fashionable shoes around, but if you don't find them pretty enough the trail version is a nice second shoe for hikes or runs.

• Locked thread