Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I've been woefully lax on this thread for a while, but I just got an electric mandola and moved to Montreal. So soon I'll buy another banner-ad and get back to advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
After a long hiatus for all kinds of personal weirdness, I'm back in the swing of things! I moved to Montreal, applying for Permanent Residency, and collecting instruments to create a non-profit musical lending library here. And I'm also buying a banner ad and bumping the thread.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Pham Nuwen posted:

Please refer to my avatar for an excellent mandolin book recommendation.

drat that avatar has paid for itself in saving me time...

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Sorry to be gone so long, but life has been pretty topsy-turvy, and even when I have SA play-time I've been posting elsewhere because I want to only post here when I have my mind focused and ready to help goons with music, so no slight intended.

I have big, big instrument news to share and a ton of cool items in the collection and a non-profit organization in the works, so do keep following and I'll try to be back and regularly contributing to the thread by September or so. Once I return at full-strength, I also plan to do a small "reunion" and PM folks who started learning cool instruments in years past in the thread and see who ended up getting really serious (like the one goon I helped repair a taishogoto who now is a semi-serious taishogotoist). Apologies again for the absence, but life has been a madhouse since May or so, but I'm getting heavy back into music these days...

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

sliderule posted:

I found a fife in the local music shop, helping to alleviate my flute withdrawl. It's like a cross between a flute and a tinwhistle. Super fun TBH. Super cheap too, I highly recommend it if you don't want to shell out for a flute.

Got a photo or brand-name for your fife?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
For the harp/zither/kantele/cheap fans, note that in the last year or so sellers have cropped up on eBay selling variants of the Russian gusle and various Baltic lap-harps, often for $100 or less, ranging from 5-string to 12-string. Definitely a viable option for anyone wanting a small, quiet, and easy to play instrument. I would avoid the massive plethora of older trapezoidal gusli since those are more music education toys for kids, but the longer ones like these are likely a great buy, and it's pretty hard to mess one of these up so I wouldn't have much fear of getting a bad one for $100:

Note: don't confuse the Russian gusli, a lap-harp, with the Balkan gusle, a 1-string fiddle played in the lap. Though by all means watch eBay for one of those if you like.

FAKEEDIT: this is a larger gusli than most of the cheap ones, but this photo is too awesome not to post:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Big Bug Hug posted:

I have been playing my NAF, thank you Thread for introducing them to me. You're right they are the easiest instrument I've ever come across.

I had someone make me a custom (Classical)Kemence and it is beautiful <3

The maker was really cool, reasonably priced and he sent pictures of every step of construction which was really interesting.
Of course as a bowed instrument it's not one of the easiest to learn so I'm making slow progress, but it's been fun! I'm in love with the sound of the instrument so hopefully one day I can do it justice.

What kind of music are you doing on kemence? Are you doing specifically Turkish/Balkan music or just liked the method/tone and are using it for other genres?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

djinndarc posted:

Thinking about picking up a drum/percussion instrument and looking at an udu. Any recommendations of a good quality and good sounding udu for under $200?

Do you have a preference for fiberglass or ceramic? And do you want a purely traditional pot-with-hole or are attracted to funkier variants like double-udus and the like?

In your range (in US/Canada at least): fiberglass or a traditional go Meinl, for funkier variants LP is the main game in town.

If you're undecided on features, I'd choose from the Meinl fiberglass ones myself.

• Locked thread