Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Oh hey, this looks like a fun thread. TTFA you have the most varied loving interests.

I've played an Ocarina for years, mostly just songs I've figured out or memorized when I was 13 and just never forgot. It's an instrument that has been almost loving destroyed by Zelda and I'm loath to mention that I play it simply because of that and how easy it is to play. Nonetheless, I've been looking for a while at branching out into a double ocarina ever since I saw one played.

For beginners looking for something good, Clazeness makes the best ocarinas I've ever seen in my life. They're quality is inversely proportional to the quality of their website. Don't bother buying the Zelda styled ones because then I will hate you and feel bad inside. I have two of the raindrop model ones, the smallest and the largest. All of them sound good, but personally the more bass-y an ocarina sounds the less annoying it is to me. If you live in Seattle then they're based out of Pike Place and you can just go pick them up, the guys who make them are really nice and they've literally given me a free ocarina for standing in the middle of Pike Place loving around with a medley of Beatles songs for five minutes. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I was wondering what the ocarinist opinion on Zelda was. How "destroyed" exactly? More that it drew in talentless hacks, or that people stopped thinking about all the other stuff ocarina can do and just focused on videogame music? In whatever case, on some degree there is still some goodness in just more people learning to play music.

Because people don't learn to play music and they just learn Zelda songs and then are like I PLAY AN OCARINA HURF DURF and it's gets really annoying to have everyone make assumptions about why you play the ocarina.

Even if they're true it totally started with Zelda for me I'm a raging hypocrite.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

HELP, MY ARM-- posted:

How in tune is the raindrop? What major/minor key is it in? I'm thinking about getting one because I love how it resonates and I prefer deeper tones, but it sounds kind of off on certain notes and I'm not sure if that's just me.

edit:
http://www.clayz.com/catscales.html
This sounds really flat on certain notes so I"m not sure if it translates to their other models as well. Also, what does this mean if it's not a bother? "CHECK FOR SPECIFIC TUNING."

I'll be honest I have no loving clue. None of it has ever sounded flat to me, they're all handmade so there might be issues. I'd suggest contacting them, they're fairly upfront about everything since they seem to thrive on repeat business. Frankly, I love mine and have no problems with it. If you're in the position for a new one then you might as well take a shot in the dark on one of those since I've literally never seen any better.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'd love to learn the steel pan drum, I love the sound and I've played one once before and it was a blast. Anyone have any advice on learning that isn't "spend a grand on one and see if you like it?"

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Get the ocarina I posted guys, jeeze. :(

I saw a dude on the street jammin with a hang the other day. I'd kill for one of those. :(

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I want to learn a strange instrument, but they're so expensive. If my budget is say, 250, what strange things could I learn to play?

That's more money than I have, I'm just wondering.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
TTFA, I read this thread and want more money to buy instruments. I will give in one day! Until then, I'll keep dreaming. Honestly I'd kill to get a Taiko but they're holy gently caress expensive. They're such physical instruments.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Evil Sagan posted:

I wisely avoided going with the ocarina because I knew I'd only use it for Zelda songs, and I knew everyone else would know that too. Don't you enablers convince me otherwise, I have enough of a reputation for being obsessed with video games as it is.

gently caress, I don't even like Legend of Zelda.

I mostly play Beatles songs.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Evil Sagan posted:

Okay, that's pretty bad rear end.

I'm pretty impressed by what the ocarina can do, actually, especially since it looks so simple. I don't want to spread myself too thin, since learning to play a tin whistle will be my first foray into music, but I guess there's nothing wrong with rounding one-self out.

http://www.clayz.com/tabls.html Get one of these, terrible website aside they're awesome!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I've been underwhelmed by Songbird. v:shobon:v

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Hey TTFA, I'm spending my honeymoon in Northern India with the Tibetan Exile community. What kind of instruments can I expect to see up there?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

A post

Holy crap! That's awesome! Thanks for all the information. I'm interested in picking up an instrument if the price is right.

As for where I'll be? Well, actually you posted a picture of the exact neighborhood I'll be in!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I've thought about getting one of these for four and a half years, and sat on a waitlist for a while and fuuuuuuuck it's amazing

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

laertes22 posted:

What is that?

It's a handpan, a relative of the steel drum.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Dude on a bench spanking his pet ufo. Clearly.

Also this.

withak posted:

Hippy drum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDQgU1CPpis

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

What actual one is that? The Bali Steel one? How long was your wait?

Zen, made by a guy in Cali who has quite a lot of positive feedback. I was on the waitlist for a while for a D minor when he sent out a blast e-mail to his wait list and said he had a D minor someone wanted to swap out and he was willing to sell it at 50% of the going rate as long as the buyer understood it wasn't as good as the new models (this is one of the first ~30 or so he made). I set up a phone interview since he wanted to be sure I wasn't an eBay scalper, and when I asked him how it was different he said "It's shittier" which was the kind of honesty I could get behind.

Even as it is, it sounds better than a Bali Steel or Innersound handpan.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
They're not super loud, though if you really thwack them they'd overcome pretty much any noise but I can't imagine that being great for the tuning. There's a guy making tongue drums out of Ukraine that look absolutely incredible, I'll try and find a link in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
You're pretty close, though "Hang" is the name of a specific instrument made by Panart and they get all pissy at people for using it as a generic. As far as I know they got pissed at the aftermarket and startups and went to create a new instrument, the Gubal, which is like a handpan with a wart and looks impossible to carry.

Honestly, I've heard both and I think you're discounting how different they sound in person. Tongue drums are great instruments in their own right, but they tend to sound much more metallic and percussive than the airy-reverb-y sound of a handpan (Bali Steel excluded, which sounds like a steel drum). You might have also heard some of the more common small manufacturers, which are not as great at the whole handpan sound vs. the look.

Also, Spacedrum makes a chromatic handpan if you're feeling really adventurous.

• Locked thread