Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So I picked up a Puerto Rican style cuatro today and I'm trying to tune it. Does anybody have any advice for doing so? I have a chromatic tuner that works pretty well, but it seems to give me odd readings on this and I'm not sure whether it's because the strings are too loose or what. I'm a little new to guitars in general (I also picked up an electric guitar a few months ago and have just started lessons) so any general tuning advice would be welcome. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Dang, I was just about to write a cuatro megapost; I just sold one on Craigslist in DC a few weeks ago too.

So far as odd tuner readings, are you plucking both strings at the same time or just one from each pair? Multiple strings confuse the tuners, so if you have doubled strings, tune one and then the other. Notice too that on some courses (pairs) they have a high-octave and a low-octave string, the latter being visibly much fatter, so just note that they'll have the same note, but an octave apart.

Other than that, cuatro should have a string tension vaguely similar to a guitar, so if you're getting an "E" and your string is incredibly floppy, you may be an octave too low. The strings should be reasonably firm with a little yield, but not feel like they're rigid.

Does that sort of answer your question, or is your problem a bit different?

I've been tuning the strings separately, I'm just not very good at tuning in general (I've only just started playing electric guitar recently, taking lessons, and I'm still learning chords and such) so I don't really have the ear for what sounds right yet. The guide's a bit hard to follow since I don't speak Spanish, and that seems to be a barrier to learning. :(

• Locked thread