Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh god I bought a 5-string banjo and lessons though I've never played an instrument or read notes before. Am I going to be okay? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Banjo doesn't at all require you to read music; basically all instructional materials for the 5-string banjo will use "tablature", four lines representing your main strings with a number showing what fret your finger goes at.

And while banjo isn't the easiest first instrument, it's also an instrument where prior experience doesn't matter so much since it's conceptually way different from say guitar, ukulele, mandolin. I kinda think of banjo as a more "intuitive" instrument, it's a lot more about patterns and flow. So to one side the first couple weeks playing will be a little confusing because you have to grasp the overall concept, but once you get that *click* in your brain it's just silly how easily everything flows together.

I dicked around with clawhammer banjo a few times and just couldn't wrap my head around it, then one summer after I got out of the Marines I had a lot of time on my hands, was messing with it and reading the Pete Seeger banjo book I got from the library, and it suddenly clicked and I just sat there and played half of the soundtrack to O Brother Where Art Thou on the spot. That's another reason why banjo, probably more than any other plucked string I've tried, I'd recommend folks get lessons on since it really helps to have someone guide you through the initial mental hurdles. Not bad or unpleasant hurdles, just expect it to be totally normal that your first few times playing are pretty baffling but know that's totally typical and it'll be easy once the idea sinks in.

Are you planning to do bluegrass/Scruggs style banjo, or clawhammer/frailing, or is that something you're going to decide once the lessons start? What banjo did you get for your first?

I'll leave the style up to my teacher I guess( though I'd like to play some bluegrass eventually), because right now it's all incomprehensible. I have Chinese Epiphone 5-string, got it used off the teacher, but it sounds great and seems no worse for wear.

Tias
May 25, 2008

nielsm posted:

Seems the frets aren't properly aligned/flatness is wrong, or something like that.

The 6th fret is too tall in the middle, so playing middle string on 5th fret gives same tone as 6th fret. The outer strings are fine on the 5th fret. There may be more that are wrong, I haven't checked everything yet.

There seems to be a slight difference in timbre between the two identical strings, after tuning to an electric piano. (Actually, how do you number the strings, from which side?)

I can fit two Danish 1 kr coins betwen the 12th fret and strings, those are 1.6 mm thick according to my caliper.

Hmm, you're from Denmark and appreciate a balalaika. Have you checked out Manges Nargilé and Sunes Teké? If not, you should!

• Locked thread