Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So after reading this thread I went and got myself an Irish flute.

Spending a good ten minutes before finding the right position for my lips to make a tone on the embouchure (nevermind actually playing a scale yet) was one of the most humbling experiences I've ever had with music and I'm sincerely looking forward to learning how to play this thing properly.

Thanks, thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I picked up one of the PVC Tipple flutes to start with (D-keyed three piece), which actually sounds quite nice when I get tones out of it. I'm doing precisely that and practicing a couple times a day at five-ten minute intervals and steadily getting more consistent with a tone. My plan for now is primarily just following a few online guides (including some of the info Tipple keeps on his own website) to get my bearings with the instrument and practice my fingering for the basics before moving on to simple sheet music. After several recommendations I also have a copy of Larsen's Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle on the way. Once I feel more comfortable with actually playing the beginning stuff I'm going to see if I can sync my wonky-rear end schedule up with an opening for some actual tutoring from the local musician scene. Beyond that, we'll see where it goes!

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 4, 2013

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Progress update. After about a week and a half with my flute I can consistently get tone out of it and play the lower octave without any difficulty. The higher notes, especially the A and B, keep throwing me for now but I'm sloooowly improving. My hands still get tired a bit too quickly for playing actual music at anything but the slowest of tempos, but the fact I can stumble and fumble my way through simple, low octave tunes already is kinda neat.

Also my copy of the essential guide showed up. The sheer amount of history in this thing is kind of fascinating and a nice bonus on top of the technique instructions and CDs.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I've been enjoying my flute and tin whistle, but I've been getting the itch to try playing something stringed again. Any chance I could take advantage of that offer to find a reasonably priced dulcimer? Unfortunately I live nowhere near DC so the shop thread doesn't help me. I don't have the PM upgrade, so any links here in the thread would be greatly appreciated.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Shot you an email, thanks for the help.

• Locked thread