Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

In other news, hey No Gravitas, does your wife hate me yet? If she does, please do note that this thread has led you to the very most affordable and durable instruments, and cost you way less than a taste for scotch or even a snowboarding trip would. That said, dig this for £35:

http://www.hansonclarinets.com/Hanson_Clarinet_Company._Making_Music_in_Great_Britain./Chalumeau.html

I bought a Chalumeau recently (along with an electric double bass -- played acoustic double bass a long time ago) from German retailer Thomann. The only other wind instrument I've played in any real capacity is recorder, and learning to blow this thing properly is pretty hard! Especially since the embouchure and blowing-pressure seems to depend on the fingering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Dammit, I was hoping there'd just be a DAW with a "click here for Meantone" thing.

I mean, really, I've got a $4 app for my smarthphone where I can easily select "1/4 Comma Meantone tuning based around D# with A pegged at 419hz" and the whole scale adjusts accordingly.

I see there's Alt-Tuner, but that's like an $89 program. Dang, thought this would be way simpler. Though glancing around it appears I can just manually hand-jam specific note-values for the keys. So as long as I don't need to use a huge variety of temperaments, I could just pick a few key ones, figure out their hz values with an online chart, and then just hand-jam in the according note values.

I don't know if it will actually work for you, but maybe try Buzz, it's a somewhat unconventional synth/DAW system. I would imagine that some of the "machines" for it can do irregular tunings and scales.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've had a chalumeau for a while now, but simply don't have any tunes to play on it. Does anyone have suggestions?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ah yeah I should have been more specific.
Yes, it's a single octave plus one note chalumeau, seems to be C# when played without fingers. I haven't really played any music for 12+ years (since high school) and never played wind instruments apart from some recorder in grade school. So beginner stuff it is :)

I'll check out your suggestions when I get back home, thanks!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Help me identify this instrument:

3 steel strings, triangular body, two of the strings seem to be identical and the third is thinner. The strings are about 44 cm from nut to saddle. The neck is about 26 cm and has frets.

Edit: Figured it out, it's a balalaika.
The label inside the body is written in Cyrillic too.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 20, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I got it for free from my brother, he was about to trash it anyway so it's not a huge loss if it's unsalvageable.

I've managed to tune it, but the tuning mechanisms were difficult to turn, would it be bad to give them a bit of WD40? I'll check the frets again when I get back home.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Seems the frets aren't properly aligned/flatness is wrong, or something like that.

The 6th fret is too tall in the middle, so playing middle string on 5th fret gives same tone as 6th fret. The outer strings are fine on the 5th fret. There may be more that are wrong, I haven't checked everything yet.

There seems to be a slight difference in timbre between the two identical strings, after tuning to an electric piano. (Actually, how do you number the strings, from which side?)

I can fit two Danish 1 kr coins betwen the 12th fret and strings, those are 1.6 mm thick according to my caliper.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

WD40 is a cleaner, not a lubricant. Don't put it on wood. If the tuner has metal gears I'd recommend using PB Blaster to clean followed by maybe some 3-in-1 oil or silicone lube to lubricate.

Yes metal tuning mechanisms.
I've never heard of PB Blaster before, looks like it's marketed as an automotive product? I'm not entirely sure what the equivalent would be, since I don't think it's sold over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

aricoarena posted:

You call that a balalaika? This is a balalaika!

I'm actually not sure if it's a bass version or an entirely different instrument.

Yeah I think that's a bass-lalaika.

• Locked thread