Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
I'm going to be learning the hammered dulcimer this summer! I used to play xylophone so I figured it wouldn't be too hard to learn, so I went to a dulcimer festival this spring and was able to try it out and discovered that it fits me perfectly. I have a Celtic harp in my closet that I need to learn too, but the learning curve will be a little steeper for me, I think.

I love these "unusual instrument" threads--I always find a million new things to try.

Black Griffon, the bowed psaltery is really beautiful. I guess you're in Norway, but if anyone else is near the southern or eastern US, seek out the local dulcimer, Appalachian, or folk music festivals and you'll get to experience a range of instruments including psalteries, mountain and hammered dulcimers, Celtic drums, and autoharps and zithers. It's usually cheap to get in but if you don't mind hanging with some old white people you can learn a lot :) The groups seem to be small on the whole, so you can get some one-on-one instruction and some nice jam time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread