Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Thanks for making such an excellent thread, TTFA. It's gotten me to get two kalimbas and a lap harp (the zither-like kind), all of which I'm enjoying learning to play. It's been years since I've played an instrument, so I'm happy to start doing that again.

One question: I'm interested in eventually getting a bowed psaltery. Is there any advice on how to find a good-quality one or is looking on eBay ok? Obviously I know not to buy from Zither Heaven and cheap brands like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Thanks for the infopost, TTFA. I will definitely look into the sites you mentioned. My interest in it stems from watching YouTube videos, as it has a neat sound and I find the bowing between the pegs concept interesting. I used to play violin years ago, so there are some quasi-similar features there as well for me. Not sure yet what I'd play with it; right now, I'm trying to decide if I want an alto or soprano psaltery (probably will go with soprano).

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
I guess some of them work OK, but I have one of those painted kiddie lap harps and it's pretty much impossible to get it in tune. I would recommend getting a lap harp which is not MusicMaker or Nepenenoyka brand if you want one. I have one from Wm. Reed Instruments which I found on eBay, and it's pretty good quality. I use an auto-harp tuner to tune them, which works well.

• Locked thread