Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
What (stringed, percussion) instrument would you recommend for someone with three working fingers on their left hand , plus a thumb. My Ring finger was broken at the last joint and never healed 100% so It's difficult, if not impossible, to use for making chords on a guitar (which is why I stopped playing in the first place).

I've since picked up the tin whistle and the ocarina on my own, but am looking for something relatively inexpensive I can do a bit more with than those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

How do any of these ring for you?

Those all sound neat. I'm thinking a dulcimer over a steel guitar - it seems more portable (I tend to do a lot of backpacking and traveling) -- I'm interested in traditional music(s) and was thinking either a dulcimer or a bodhran (bowrain,bodrain,bowran,etc) In the long run -- something along those lines. Something smallish, reasonably easy to set up, acoustic over electric...

I've got great dexterity, enough to cover holes on a tinwhistle and ocarina, its just complex positions and lots of pressure make my the last joint on my ring finger bend the wrong way --

Maybe something that doesn't require a lot of pressure on the finger would be great. I'll continue to do research on the dulcimer though, that could be neat.

Edit: The saxon Lyre linked within the first half-dozen pages looks like a neat instrument, but is there much documentation/practicality for something like that?

LordAdakos fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 11, 2012

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Thanks, TapTheForwardAssist.

Picked up a Tin Whistle on suggestion from you a few years back and my odd musical instrument collection has grown. I never was very musical (read: never played an instrument seriously) but I put some time in learning to read music instead of just loving around making noise and now I've been playing the violin for 7 months. I have no intention of stopping! You rock! Your suggestions are like the gateway drugs of the musical world.

If anyone is hesitating picking up something fun to play -- just do it! :banjo:

LordAdakos fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 16, 2016

• Locked thread