Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I've actually had a mountain dulcimer inside a closet in my house for as long as I can remember. This topic has given me a reason to dust it off and learn how to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Awesome! After you mess with it for a day or two, you'll probably want to spend $5 on a new set of strings (online may be easiest). If your tuners misbehave and keep slipping, or if you get it tuned up perfect but a few notes sound off when you play, post here or PM me and I can walk you through some really simple basic maintenance.

Note the above posts for all the online tutorials, book, etc.

Its actually working pretty well. I bought new strings from Amazon just in case I screw something up. I got my sister who has perfect pitch to put it Mixolydian mode from the Wild Dulcimer link (after I struggled for around 20 minutes trying to get it tuned right from an already out of tune piano.) I've never played a string instrument before so getting my fingers to fret (if I'm even using that as a verb correctly) consistently is a challenge, but I think I'm strumming pretty well. I've gotten much better in the couple hours I've been screwing around with it. My sister asked to try it and after 30 seconds figured out how to play the melody of Norwegian Wood.

• Locked thread