Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Nice! Which tunes??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Probably just a few of the classics: Man of the House, Road to Lisdoonvarna, O'Keefe's Slide, etc. There are several cool tunes that I like playing on other instruments that I can't play on melodeon though, the tunes that have both an F and F# in the same D-based tune. So like Banish Misfortune, Rights of Man, etc. I'm not sure, but I'd be curious as to whether those tunes alternate between F/F# because in the past the tune had a "neutral third" that was somewhere between those two notes. If anyone wants to watch a clip of the music theory thereof, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY5wftQlz3g

Equal tempered major thirds suck rear end. I love a slightly flat major third - it's a wonderful tension. I have the impression that playing the major and the minor third or seventh in the same tune is kind of a modern conceit in Irish music for ET instruments, yeah. I'd usually rather hear it consistently one way or the other. I'm no musicologist though so maybe I'm full of poo poo.

Also please christ play Road to Lisdoonvarna as a proper slide and not a loving dirge.

I'm trying to think of some good melodeon tunes but I've been all about the B/C lately and I don't think I've got any good ones for the one-row. Other than a couple of polkas of course. Do you have that Johhny Connolly record? http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/johnnyconnolly It's just straight up showing off.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Do you play guitar? Tune your D chord so that F# at the top doesn't beat. It is 5:4 and it sounds pure and lovely. Now play some other chord, and cringe. Basically, gently caress physics, you know?

But the slightly flat third I'm talking about is smaller than 5:4, but not quite so small as 6:5. A nice crunchy bluesy sound. Used, in fact, constantly in all sorts of music.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tom Doherty's Dance Sean Nós
Order placed! And whoa, cool story.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The wooden-fipple Clarks can sound delicious but are highly unreliable out of the box. The Clarke Sweetones are close to 100% pick up and play. I found the Waltons kind of squeaky. The Shaws and Susatos are their own special thing and I wouldn't suggest to buy one unless you know what you're getting. I've heard Jerry Freeman is great but haven't had the pleasure of finding out for myself. I have a Mack Hoover whistle head which is soft but very nice.

Oh, link: http://www.amazon.com/Clarke-Sweetone-D-Whistle-Black/dp/B000VPFO7S

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 22, 2014

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
They are loud as gently caress and have a unique gritty sound. I like mine but it is definitely not a polite whistle. Pretty responsive, brash, not sweet.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paladin posted:

Bach cello suites for Tenor banjo
Holy poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2fTQsUVS44

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That is a shitlot stranger than, say, a concertina if you ask me. Please post recordings of yourself making it squeak

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That octave-and-a-half fingering on the clarinet pretty much blows a gasket in my brain. Good luck!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tom Doherty's Dance Sean Nós
Finally got this! Great stuff. Some jigs played really slow for the fancydancers, which I never heard on records usually. Also great lift on the reels. Honestly kind of hard to believe it's all on the one row.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The man is a wonder; the Rambling House article on melodeon says he took All-Ireland at some point (presumably for melodeon), though I'm not seeing him on the Wikipedia list, though it may not be fully current and/or synched-up.

There are some good clips of players from the All-Ireland competition here: http://comhaltas.ie/music/tag/Melodeon

http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhaltaslive_395_8_aongus_o_maicin/
God dammit. Now I'm seriously considering trading in my B/C for a four voice one row.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'd say Anglo is the thing for that, yeah. 20 buttons should be fine for sea shanties and general farting around, you only need a 30 button if you want to get into the fast irish tunes or care what key you're playing in. Now that particular instrument... concertinas under the $1k price point are notorious for being complete junk, and those brightly colored nameless ones are the worst sinners usually. You'd need to make sure all the keys and reeds work, and they can actually be pretty miserable to play due to stiff bellows and general leakiness. If your budget allows, consider talking to these guys instead: http://www.buttonbox.com/concertinas-in-stock.html#anglo I have ordered instruments from them sight unseen before. Anything of the sub-$1k instruments on that page I'd happily recommend to a beginner. They know their stuff and you'd be sure to get one that's well set up.

I would send you my old Stagi 30-button for a few dollars but I wore it out and it's not even really fixable any more :)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, ok, I'm a total snob, I own it... case in point,

he can still add rhythm by just varying hand pressure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p90KS-rK8eQ
Also listen to these here clips which are the same tune played by people with a better mastery of the music :) One is a piano accordion though so I'm not disagreeing with your point. Just saying that people have a harder time making it work on unisonoric boxes because the instrument doesn't help you at all in finding the lilt.

Possibly I also just really like the Anglo

My old Stagi... I dunno. The metal bits in the action are literally worn away. And they're stapled to the wood bits, not screwed on. So making it work again would be a massive undertaking, it would need new pieces custom-made and fit somehow. Then you'd still have to do all the reed setting, tuning, new pads...

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 1, 2014

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Whoa, trippy combo of hammered dulcimer and mountain. Dude, who ARE you? I thought I knew all the weird instruments in the world but you show me a new one about every week.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

slap me silly posted:

http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhaltaslive_395_8_aongus_o_maicin/
God dammit. Now I'm seriously considering trading in my B/C for a four voice one row.

I did this. Anybody else got one? Let's trade war stories. As for me, I am in love but my wrist hurts.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ahahaha, this is great! Check out how the crowd starts clapping on 1+3 and he switches them to 2+4 just after 2 minutes. Reminds me of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD3iaURppQw

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

Would I regret putting a drop of 3-in-1 oil at the base of each tuning pin?

Yes. I don't know what the solution is but that ain't it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Violin peg dope maybe, but find out from somebody who actually knows what they're talking about.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I looked! For more than 5 minutes, even. Couldn't get the internet to tell me.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You would have to be crazy as balls to take up duet concertina, for which there is essentially no tradition and no literature. Not saying that's bad, but is that you?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, in all fairness I have a strong bias towards the Anglo :) It has history in Irish, English, Boeremusiek. Salvation Army used everything, but duet and English most recently, right? I mean, from what I know. I don't actually research this stuff, I just pontificate.

Duet always struck me as one of those things that seems good on paper but just doesn't cut the mustard in person.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ok ok I will make a real answer. The Elise (34 key model, right?) has about 1.5 octaves on each side. That means crossing sides for most stuff. A lot of folk tunes won't fit on the right hand in standard keys, so you'd either have to play them half on each side or accommodate some missing high notes. It has limited chromaticity: you get F, C, G, D and related minors. That's less than the 30 button C/G Anglo, which can also play in A and (awkwardly) in Eflat, E, Bflat. However the duet is much more versatile in terms of the chords you can make.

The push-pull thing is a big deal (same note like duet vs different note like Anglo). It's a completely different bellows mindset - learn one, you still don't have the other.

I don't know anything about the fingering. Anglo fingering is intuitive to me now, but that's largely because I've been playing it so long. The Hayden duet layout is really rational and a couple of basic chord patterns would get you a long way.

Overall if I were going to trouble to learn duet, I'd look for one with more range and available keys than the Elise. But if you're committed to the concept of the duet it would make a lot of sense to start with this one.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, you are the master of the effortpost.

For Irish trad, almost every Irish concertinist plays Anglo in the "Noel Hill" style
Tell me. If you take up Anglo for Irish tunes, do us all a favor and practice along-the-row too, with bellows ornamentation and not such an emphasis on the pipers' cuts. Is that a clear way to describe it? I dunno. Here are some people I hear it from:

Mary MacNamara:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWXWD2sVe8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUPiqoIDW1o

Elizabeth Crotty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8MyFa81ooY

Chris Droney, although I think his rhythm sucks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbTweQZTbbk

To give some more detail about the C/G Anglo and keys. G is the easiest to play in - lots of the notes and chords are available in multiple locations and both directions of the bellows. C is next. F and D are probably about the same (F is actually harder for me but that's mostly because I never use it). A is a little awkward at the G#'s but still entirely doable. E starts to get pretty heavily into the third row. E flat is mostly in the third row and is kind of a clusterfuck. I have never played in B flat but I think it'd be a little easier than E flat. Basically the farther you get from G, the weirder and less flexible the fingerings are and the less options you have for chording.

That's compared to the Elise where F, C, G, D are all roughly the same and anything else is impossible unless you can do without some notes of the scale.

Models: I play one of Bob Tedrow's right now. It's solid, he knows what he's doing. I used to have a Stagi but wore it right the gently caress out after five years or so. I have never picked up a cheaper one that I thought was really playable. But I've also never tried the Rochelle, which is specifically intended to be the solution to that and which I hear good things about. I would cheerfully sic one of Bob Tedrow's or The Button Box's fixed up Rochelles on a friend of mine.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 11, 2014

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Which Tedrow model have you? I've heard a mix of opinions on his stuff, as he's kind of an experimental/unconventional guy. His "Zephyr" compact models are supposed to be brilliant, but I've heard some complaints that his large Haydens are way too clunky. But he clearly has some successful lines, and I give him props for being way more daring than most makers.

I'm always kvetching that modern makers are too drat conservative in their fretwork (the cut-out bits at the concertina's end where the sound comes out), just aping Victorian styles 150 years later. There are only a few makers doing edgier fretwork, and some if it is gorgeous

Heh, has Bob Tedrow ever even made two instruments the same? I had mine more or less custom made back in, oh, 2006. I guess it is basically the Zephyr but I don't think he had named it at that point. The layout is standard 30 button C/G Anglo. I don't expect to ever buy another unless I decide I can afford one of the newly made ones with the old style reeds. I like this style of Wally Carroll's:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hey, that's pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_qolRLYFqE

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I'll note that some Appalachian stuff would sound awesome for voice accompaniment. Here again is that dude singing "I Wish My Baby Was Born" (in a kind of rough Eriksen-influenced style) with his jouhikko: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtAzfiEsrOU

Hey yeah, that fits together really well, I like. Dammit, now I wanna do it and I don't need to take up any new instruments you rear end in a top hat

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

- For something that's cool, probably not too pricey, and compact, is the hu, kind of a Korean end-blown ocarina. Somewhere between a ocarina and blowing across the top of a whiskey jug.

drat you sir. Can these be got in the US? First pass at googling it up got me nothing.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to ocarina-talk I have learned about Giorgio Pacchioni's multi-chamber ones, which have a uniquely intelligent fingering. If I accidentally buy one I'm sending you fuckers a bill.

I dug out the Night soprano C I bought in Japan years ago and have been loving around on it. Very nice but also pretty shrill.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Doumbek maybe? It has a different range of tones (less bass-y stuff) but is versatile. You can find guides on the internet for the basic strikes if you haven't done much hand drumming before.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nice. I'm gonna do this now, just as soon as I find an elderberry whatsis.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

IslamoNazi posted:

Also, I'm open to suggestions of other instruments that could be taken on multi day hikes (when I'm most likely to want to use it).

The blues harp is a classic for this purpose!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My new toy, atop a piece of music that no, I can't actually just pick up and sight read, as it turns out:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen that brand before. But a few things I do know - you can probably tune up to D-a-d-d without breaking the strings, and if you do break them, well, you bought a couple of spare sets anyway, right? You're going to have to get a new nut (and maybe a bridge) to switch either of those to left-handed - planning to make them yourself? I see what you mean about the first instrument though, you might want a new pin to receive the second melody string. But you might could also use loop-end strings and put two on one pin, like with the other one.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If this is in your budget and they ship to you, I can recommend these unreservedly:
http://www.mcspaddendulcimers.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4072

Still has all the challenges with changing handedness though.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ocarina megapost

drat you, anyway! I just ordered another one, and not exactly a cheap one either. The focalink double is nice, but a bit wonky in the second chamber.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just put a deposit down on one of these. Welp

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Eh! It's just 3.5 years.

. . . just

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Whoa! Yay Jerry. I'm So In.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
D-A-d is quite versatile (or C-G-c), especially if you have the 6.5 fret. Once I got used to that one I never went back to C-G-G.

Lot of relatively quick tweaks you can do for specific tunes, also. D-G-d, D-A-c, etc.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Definitely an option. I played around with that a bit and never liked it - it was good for complex chording or nice for fingerstyle/flatpicking stuff, but it took away a lot of the rich drone-y slide-y sounds that I really like. Depends on what styles you're interested in, really.

• Locked thread