Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scherzo
Dec 1, 2000

Jazz is not dead...it just smells funny

Xiahou Dun posted:

How in the hell do you play something like King of the Fairies that has sharps and naturals in the same key? Also, coming from Irish music, where that instrument is incredibly prominent, how do you recommend anything but keys of G and D? That's 90% tunes where I come from (Including minor-equivalents, because I'm a bad person) . This is honest confusion, not condescension ; I can't name a single tune in F of the bat, although this is quite possibly a genre thing.

You're right about the keys, most Irish trad is in D and related keys like Bm, Em, G, A etc... That being said there are parts of Ireland where they tune to Eb instead of D, plus in Scotland the Highland pipes are in Bb so tuning your fiddle/flute to Eb works a lot better.

In regards to playing chromatic notes on a diatonic instrument like the pennywhistle, it is possible to both crossfinger and half-cover holes to get extra notes. For instance on the common whistle in D, you can get C natural by covering the 2nd and 3rd holes with your left hand middle and ring fingers while leaving the top hole open. You can get the same C (and with a good ear get it really in tune unlike the x-fingering) by "peeling" your index finger off the top hole halfway to bend the note in tune. This is hard to do but it's the most expressive, plus you can get G#, F natural and Eb with other fingers.

quote:

Double Edit : Live jamming is the best method for just about anything related to music, and I will fight that point to the death. The only exception being rear end-tons of practice. Although, again, I suck, so I'm a terrible source of information.

I would have to agree with the last sentence of this paragraph the most. Live jamming is fun for the musicians, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's more productive than practicing by yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread