Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just scored a pretty awesome old piano accordion off some guy on craigslist today for a lot less money than it probably should have been. All the reeds work and sound in tune to me and the bellows hold air. This thing is a blast and my neighbors are going to hate it.

Now I am sorely tempted to get one of those little toy button-boxes for irish music.

I have also played a keyless plastic M&E irish flute for quite a while now. I like it better than nearly all of the wooden ones I have played, and the wooden ones that did like better were all ones that I couldn't afford anyway. A plastic flute is great because it requires no maintenance and ifwhen it rolls off a table and crashes to the floor at a session the expression on people's faces is priceless.

I will second the recommendation for the Irish Flute Store; he sells a lot of new instruments pretty much at cost (just for the pleasure of helping people get instruments that they like, as far as I can tell) and when he does make money it goes towards an orphanage in Haiti that he supports.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

withak fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also on the subject of recommendations, I recently got a Mellow Dog tinwhistle in C from Jerry Freeman and it is fantastic. My girlfriend got me a non-tunable Shaw one a while back so that I could play D-minor tunes along with her harp and the difference between that one and this one is like night and day (also being able to play in tune is nice).

I got the set where you get a D body and a C body with a mouthpiece that fits both, but I think I actually prefer my old $7 Generation D over this new one. The Freeman D sounds very good; I just like the sound of the unmodified Generation better.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Do note that all the toy ones are in C(ish), while you really need a D for Irish.

I'm not too worried about the actual key; I doubt that I would play the thing with other people. I just want to try it.

Also, my girlfriend has a shakuhachi and I don't know if it is because it is a cheap one that she picked up somewhere or if it is normal, but that thing takes some serious wind power to play. I have played regular flute for about 20 years and that shakuhachi leaves me gasping for breath.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 4, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It has a sticker on it but I think it is in Japanese. She might know what it says though.

I don't have much trouble actually getting sounds out of it, it just takes a lot more air than anything else that I have played.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I played with a toy button box today and have learned that (like harmonica) I totally cannot wrap my head around the idea of having two different notes come out of one key. :-/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is an Andean flute where you blow across a notch in the end.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

For goons in San Francisco and Seattle, vist the Lark in the Morning store

They closed the SF store a few years ago.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

radium's grandmother posted:

I think I may have found what I'm looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-F-Lange-German-Concertina-Accordion-Band-Union-/140576304957?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item20bb002f3d#ht_7320wt_952

Think it's worth bidding for? It looks like it's in pretty good shape, and the price is right.

Buying old accordions without playing them first is a pretty big risk. They don't age well without regular maintenance (regardless of how they look on the outside) and the way this description is written makes it sound like the seller doesn't know much about them so probably can't be relied up to tell you whether it is actually playable. IMO it would take a pretty cheap price to balance out the risk.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That kind of mouthpiece will sound quieter and windier compared to the plastic ones, but that particular one looks messed up like the block isn't inserted all the way. It should look like this (Shaw C & Clarke D):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's pretty good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If anyone was on the fence about uilleann pipes, see if this doesn't change your mind:

The Downfall of Paris

withak fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 7, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It looks pretty straightforward in the video; maybe yours is defective?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, learning violin by yourself will leave you with a million bad habits down the line.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Testro posted:

I picked up a toy accordion and have mastered Row Row Row Your Boat (wahey) playing single notes with the right hand.

There are three air valves on the left hand side. How do I add those into my right hand playing?

They are chords. The top one is the main chord and much of the time you can't go wrong if you hold that one down for the entire song. The middle is probably a five chord for decoration. Probably you can play that one on "life is but a" and then go back to the main chord on "dream". The bottom button is probably just an air vent which you should push if you ever have to squeeze or pull the instrument without any other buttons pushed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend got me a Chieftain low D whistle for a late, late christmas present and it is pretty awesome. It is basically a very thick-walled aluminum pipe so it is also probably useful for self defense.

I have also been eyeing one of those cheaper hayden concertinas for longer than is healthy. :-/

withak fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 4, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I scored a CC Elise on ebay for pretty cheap. :hellyeah:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Usually the glue that holds the mouthpiece on is pretty weak. You might just have to pull/twist harder to break it loose. Heating it with hot water or steam can supposedly help also, but I've never had to go that far.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My CC Elise arrived today so I ditched work early to noodle around. :toot: This thing is very easy to figure out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I made a youtube of my cardboard dulcimer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3c01usETco

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

As for where I'll be? Well, actually you posted a picture of the exact neighborhood I'll be in!

He is a highly effective stalker.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's a four-string; the melody string is doubled.

These things are a ridiculously good deal.

withak fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 31, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FelicityGS posted:

I do not need another instrument.....

FWIW this is literally never true.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Put me down for cardboard dulcimer too. :sweatdrop:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Usually like a uke.

withak fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 27, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tim Eriksen is The Best.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like bajo sexto in the airport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrpikEOI45M

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I remember reading a quote from Les Paul that said something like the ideal electric guitar is basically a railroad tie with strings and and pickups.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

By "struggling" do you mean "blowing a clean note"? Is this a D whistle? So you're having trouble on your lowest three notes (the third is F#, btw)? If so, it's just a matter of taking some slow 5 minute sessions of just very slowly trying to sound individual notes, and tweaking your breath pressure to deliberately bring it just below threshold, just above, and then rest at that sweet spot in the middle where you get a clear note. Once you have that, do the other notes, and then practice transitioning between them and getting the pressure adjustment right.

Also make sure that you are covering those last three holes completely. Even the tiniest gap under any of your fingers could make it not work right.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

- And a really fancy bit of melody work on some Irish jigs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbKApkQe2Jk

:aaa: Holy poo poo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Dude I can't afford any kind of bajo right now, please stop posting about them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Basically the right place for the bridge is where the open note and the 12th fret harmonic is the same pitch for each string. Start out with the bridge placed so the 12th fret is exactly midway from the bridge to the nut and nudge it around from there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Be careful of Anglo concertinas if you are like me and have a learning disability that prevents you from being able to handle bisonoric instruments.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is it appropriate to post in the thread when you see an interesting weird instrument available in a specific geographic area? I ask because there's a lacquered taishogoto (as seen on page 10) available on the SF-area Craigslist for best offer over $150.

As an impulse buyer of instruments, I think you should only be allowed to post about things like this if you are willing to chip to towards the cost.

This particular one is probably only 10 minutes from me. :-/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

It's an oral tradition, so a lot of the skillset just comes from hearing this stuff over and over again to the point that you can just hum all these tunes off the top of your head.

Aural tradition :eng101:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can't remember if we ever talked about the khene here, but here is an interesting application of one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgw9xI-OcY

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can partially cover the opening where the sound is made with a piece of scotch tape but it will sound like poo poo and probably also change the intonation so practicing that way isn't recommended.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A lot of learning violin involves hearing yourself, so using a mute as a beginner is likely to leave you with all kinds of bad habits and weird issues. I think mutes are intended for violinists/fiddlers who are already proficient and don't have to worry as much about the fundamentals when they practice.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also note that the intervals for the standard uke tuning are the same as the four high strings on guitar, so to play uke you can pretend that you are playing only the four high strings on a guitar. Just keep in mind that the uke is tuned a fifth lower, so if you play what would be a G chord on guitar then it comes out a as C chord on uke.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is always the cardboard dulcimer option. The are pretty neat IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3c01usETco

withak fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I know at least one irish accordion player who switched to accordion after his left hand got too wrecked to play fiddle any more.

• Locked thread