Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I need to go hassle the banjo-playing goon who's supposed to drop into this thread, but I reckon I can cover this one.

Am I that goon? I started the banjo thread, so anyone that wants to learn about the banjo, hop on over. :v: You banjer pickers (or bluegrass players / fans) that haven't chimed in yet, holler!

I've looked through the thread here and see that the banjo has been mentioned a few times. I'd be more than happy to give advice on it. I've been playing consistently for 2 years. I got a little tired of the guitar and wanted to try something new. I've really taken to the banjo, and feel more compelled to practice it more than the guitar.

I played Brain Damage / Eclipse last night on the banjo at a picnic, and people got a big kick out of it! Sure some songs are a novelty when played on instruments far from what they were written on, but some songs work well.

Seconding the advice, of course, for the Deering Goodtime banjo. If you've got a guitar foundation already, banjo is easier, obviously. It's not impossible to learn, as you can find tab easily on the web, you dont have to learn to read music first.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Guy I jam with has one of these. Clear, rich, unique sound.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Over in the bluegrass / banjo thread, one of the goons thought it'd be a good idea to do a collaboration. I keep meaning to follow up on it, and I will.

However, considering all of the truly weird instruments in this thread, (if not discussed already), a collaboration would probably be hilariously entertaining. May even sound good, who knows.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Does anyone play the melodica?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

melodica

More curious than anything else. As a big fan of Augustus Pablo, I've thought about picking one up. For those that play, are you playing pretty much anything, or more minor key dub?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiaekG1Q0UE Amazing, love his sound, it's too bad he isn't with us anymore.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 4, 2011

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks, thread, I bought a melodica. :sax:

It'll be worth $40 just to jam over some dub!

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I bought the student Hohner. I should have what I need already to get going at a basic level as I can generally pick stuff up by ear, but will take any advice you have.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
My melodica came in the mail today :350:

Its fun, surprisingly loud. The cat doesn't like it, but surprisingly tolerates the banjo and directionless stratocaster noodling.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Hope this is ok, but wanted to chime in and say that we've got a banjo and bluegrass thread going here if anyone had questions about flatpicking, banjo, Scruggs style, clawhammer, Resonator guitar, fiddle, etc and wanted to participate. Not exactly weird, but I think a few of the instruments qualify as such

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
There's a guy near me in Frederick that does cool cigar box instruments, banjos, guitars, mandos, dulcimers. Am considering getting an old time 5 string banjo made with a cutaway neck.

Anyone mess with these things? Looks like a fun thing to hang on the wall and plunk around with from time to time.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Three words: fretless, nylon strings.

You'll thank me later.

I'll consider it, especially because fretless may bring the price down a bit, and im not looking to spend a whole lot.

Other reasons? "Fun"?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have an excellent local stringed-instrument store (Gryphon Strings) that is trusted by my friend the luthier, so if I like it, I'll probably just ask them to restring and re-set-up.

Hell yeah I used to live near there and bought my first banjo from them. :banjo:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I'm considering it for sure. I have a Deering Goodtime 5 string, and a Gold Star 5 string. The latter is set up pure Scruggs, the former I took the resonator off of to do a dual Scruggs / old time set up. I didn't want to get a tenor banjo because I already have a mandolin for that kind of tuning. Someone was telling me to have the cigar box built "A scale", so I guess that's a shorter scale tuned "up" to open A. Maybe I'll do that, I don't know. I figure a cigar box banjo isn't going to be really rich and low, so maybe get it in an A scale for something different, and if I want to frail in G or C, I use my goodtime for it.

Hell I dont know

Actually that Sweet Sunny South sounds like it's tuned up to A?

Planet X fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 27, 2016

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I don't know anything about hammered dulcimer, but my buddy's Dad is Ken Kolodner, who is a very accomplished dulcimer player and Old Time fiddler. Here's his site: http://www.kenkolodner.com/

Maybe get in touch with him if you need some help with something, or just enjoy the videos / lessons / inspiration, etc

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

fwah posted:

What weird new instrument should I learn this summer? Or should I actually just hunker down and master one trade, instead of jacking yet another?

As a banjo and mandolin player, I suggest you go back to them. This shouldn't get in the way of learning something weird, though. Perhaps going to a local jam or something will spur interest.

You could also take the approach to learn clawhammer style on the banjo instead of Scruggs style. This will give you some variation with current instruments.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Tias posted:

Oh god I bought a 5-string banjo and lessons though I've never played an instrument or read notes before. Am I going to be okay? :ohdear:

Yes.

I can help answer questions. Phone posting now but I started a banjo thread in musicians lounge. If you can't find it or have questions me know. I play a lot of banjo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
My buddy found a pollina accordion in his moms attic. I don't play accordion but can't pass up something unique. It's in good shape. Any intel on this brand?.

• Locked thread