Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

In all seriousness, if you can actually play some basic stuff on it decently, you can put an ad up on Craiglist and offer to play backup for a band if they want to include melodica in a show. Who knows, maybe some local garage india band will want you to learn to back one of their tunes and come up on state with them. In the meantime, I'd just chuck on some shoegazer rock recordings and learn to play along with them for practice.

For those unfamiliar, he's talking about one of these:

It's basically either a harmonica where you use keys to free the reeds to vibrate, or conversely an accordion where you blow into it rather than use bellows. Just depends how you look at it.

Or you know, if you're familiar with the keyboard it's great for music on the go. For instance, I'm going to a party thing next weekend at the house of a friend's friend, full of music, painting, surfing, etc. Being an impoverished tool on the lowest rung of the company I work at, and being incredibly lazy, I don't have a car so the only alternative is to take the train. Long story short, I'm not taking a cumbersome 61-key electronic keyboard across the state and back over multiple forms of travel, so obviously I'm getting my friend to take his BUT I'll jam my melodica in my bag anyway. I made the zygote of my aborted point so long ago that hipsters have stopped buying the recordings of the first phrase of my post and it is now passé, there are no longer internet macros devoted to things being "great for music on the go" and the Youtube videos of fat nerds in fedoras playing the sentence slowly and diatonically on acoustic guitar have long since dried up. As for my work since then, naturally the rest of the words in this post up to and including this sentence are blatantly derivative of my earlier successes and show no indication of artistic growth. Sad really, since I am still under obligation to tour and play variations of the first sentence of this post on, you guessed it, a melodica.

Ah well, at least it's not an ocarina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

Planet X posted:

Does anyone play the melodica?

Anyone who's anyone, why?

• Locked thread