Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've talked with TTFA about this in the uke thread and PMs, but I might as well join this thread now.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Bowed psaltery: these have the advantage of being extremely inexpensive, durable, and relatively easy to play, with a good scattering of players online, and some intro books/videos. Plus I think 99.9% of players learned outside the formal system. We can probably track you down one of these for under $100 used if you want: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKeFa1LgCZc

I tried this in the local weird music store today, and I'm in love. The one I tried didn't have a plug or something for a mic stand, but the dude in the store (very knowledgeable guy who's been dealing with weird instruments for fifty years or something) told me it would a an easy job to handle. Price tag is 450 dollars, but stuff is more expensive in Norway, so it would be closer to 250 in the US. He's put it aside until 6/11, when I get my paycheck, but I'm still not sure I'll be able to afford it. Youtube does not do it justice, it's a beautiful sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

$US450? Even with shipping and customs, you might get off a fair bit cheaper buying from the US, particularly if you can get a used one (from a good, recognised maker) on eBay or off the Sales section of some folk-music forum.

If you like the exact one at the store, sure, go for it. But if cash is going to be a deciding factor, these instruments are sufficiently inexpensive in the US that you may come out ahead ordering overseas.

The biggest problem is that I'm not sure how to gauge quality. I trust the guy in the store, and from my own standpoint, it's a well made and good sounding instrument. But I can't be sure that one ordered from the US would be of equal quality. And customs can be a loving bitch.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Update on the bowed psaltery. My parents decided to sponsor me as an early birthday present after I talked about the instrument on Facebook, so as the money wasn't an issue, I got my hands on a pretty instrument. It's wonderful to play, and me an my friend has a lot of fun jamming with it and the guitar. I'm thinking about doing a ukulele/psaltery version of I See a Darkness.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

And have a theremin link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AerCCx7Fas

(Bill Bailey is awesome.)

Bill Bailey is the main reason I love weird instruments.

Speaking of which. I found out violins aren't as expensive as I first thought. Can anyone recommend a good place to get a cheap fiddle online? Not the weirdest instrument, but when in the outskirts of Rome...

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I have a friend who plays the Marimba, he says it's quite hard, and he's practiced for several years. He's a bit of a musical genius though, and the best drummer I've ever met personally.

Looking at some clips, it can sound relatively similar to the fiddle. Got any comments on what aspects of playing it differ from fiddling, what new perspectives/angles it gives you? What kind of music do you play on yours?

They have one of those in the weird music shop, used for about $100. The first thing I noticed is that it's very hard to play, and since they took in on commission (or whatever it's called when they only pay the seller if it's sold), I can't be completely sure that it's functional. I kind of want it because it's cheap and pretty, but I try to stay away from thoughts like that.

Also, thanks for all the fiddle info. A Hardanger fiddle has always been a dream of mine, seeing as my mother is from around those parts (and also they are loving cool), so I'm going to ask around a bit to see if some of my friends know anything about fiddles.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

He did manage to pick up a chick playing the marimba, shame the chick was batshit crazy and believed spirits were out to get her.

• Locked thread