Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Gee, thanks thread. You've convinced me to pick up a $10 Feadóg tinwhistle and try to remember everything I barely learned with the last instrument I tried to play, a recorder in the 4th grade.

Right now I'm waiting for my roommates to leave the house so I can practice breath-control and tonguing without letting out ear-piercing shrieks between notes!

Edit: Does anyone know of any good online resources or games for learning to read musical notes fluently?

MrGreenShirt fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

So far as learning to read music, a huge number of tinwhistle players (and probably a lot of Irish musicians in general) can't read music, so I wouldn't sweat it at all. If you feel like learning it later, that's fine, but don't feel even slightly obliged to learn music.

Oh thank god. I've gotten pretty good with following tablature notation in the practice book that came with my feadog whistle, but I've never been able to see standard musical notation as anything more than undecipherable dots on strings.

Before you start on that though, I would spend a day or two just doing breathing and some basic scales. Getting breath pressure right is fundamental (and not terribly hard) and will minimise the sounds-like-rear end shrieking.

It took me a week or so, but I've gotten the hang of all the notes now up to A and B, (or XXOOOO and XOOOOO), in the upper D octave which sound like train whistles for some reason. Maybe I'm still not blowing hard enough.

So, can anyone recommend any cool Irish jigs for me to learn? I'm currently working on speeding up my fingering of "The Irish Washerwoman" and I'm hoping to challenge myself further.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Oh man, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks, I can't wait to get started on these bad boys!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Looks like a Feadog whistle to me.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

That good or bad?

It's the whistle I'm using and I have no complaints!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Speaking of electronic instruments, I have a stack of like 40 Stylophones sitting in my room that I got for dirt-cheap. Give me a day or so to figure out shipping, and I'll be looking to list them on SA Mart for (tentatively) $9 shipped anywhere in the US.

Yay! :neckbeard:

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

EDIT: Do we have any goons who play chromatic harmonica? Those are a totally different creature from diatonic harmonica, so worth covering in their own post if we have any players.

I don't play, but after glancing at the wikipedia page I'd love to hear more from someone who does!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hold it like the guy in the video and sharply tug the string. Does it make a noise?

Y: There you go.

N: It's a piece of crap and should be placed on your mantelpiece as a curiosity from far-off lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

But what about all us lucky stylophone fanatics?

• Locked thread